Picked up the Quarter horse and first ride report

the Ferret

Road warrior
Thread starter
well picked up my new NC.

bb58d9a87dc4ec9a6641cf96310271e8.jpg


Had 1 mile on the odo.

513b97f9a8ae0e074892590bfd1043bb.jpg


Took it out for a 46 mile spin

f5cf1fab0525fdaf3a228128d3479633.jpg


Only tried to reach for the clutch lever once, and moved my toe over to shift once. Couldn't find a place to rest the 2 fingers on my left hand that usually rest on the clutch lever until I need them lol.

Some times I could feel the trans shift and sometimes I couldn't. I'd look down and be in 5th and the next time I looked down I was in 6th and hadn't felt it shift. It's really pretty smooth. In D it does shift quickly to get to 6th. Riding at 50-60 in 6th was pleasurable. Suspension felt really taut, need to figure how to soften that a little.

The windshield is pretty poor. I'd love to have one to cut down to a proper shorty and get the windblast out of the eye port on my helmet.

It has got to have the most confusing set of electronics on any set of gauges ever. And the manual is equally poor at explaining things. I can't figure out hardly anything... like how to set the clock.


Also there is a little rectangular box in the upper rh corner that changes to a different color with every gear change. It's driving me crazy. Flashing rainbow lol. I hope there is a way to turn that off. I tried Youtubing how to adjust stuff but apparently the 2021 is different than previous gens and doesn't have the select and set buttons on the sides of the gauges. Everything is done thru mode and select up and down buttons on the left handlebar switch.. I did manage to reset my trip A, but that's it so far. Good night who needs all this gimmickry? lol. All I really need are the clock, trip A (for logging daily miles) and trip B (for keeping track how many miles since last fill up). Really makes me appreciate the simple 2 round gauges on my CB 1100.

the turn signals are not self cancelling. I tried that feature several times and had to push to cancel. Bummer.

I was also under the impression that there were 2 or 3 sport modes that progressively held the rpms longer. There is only one sport mode...One standard, one sport, one rain and one user in which you can set engine power, engine braking and traction control but I haven't figured out how to set any of those yet. Still riding around in standard getting to know the bike. Haven't tried the paddles yet either.


I did find out when you try and shift out of neutral into drive with the side stand down it won't lol ... doh!

Going to take some getting used to.

Heading out for a ride with my brother on his Bonneville and my friend with the 2019 NC manual shift tomorrow.
 
Congratulations! Looks good. I think all the negatives will slip away as you get to know the bike better.
 
Too many e-gizmos takes a longer time to learn = normality for older riders
Good luck with your new ride and congrats...do not forget about your CB :)
 
Looks good, Ferret. You’ll nail it soon. Does it handle OK?
 
Good first impressions report, ferret. My son-in-law had the same windshield complaint on his FJ-09 (“MT-09” version; forgot what it was called before they adopted MT-09 in the US). He took it off and replaced it with a custom shorty he cut from Lexan and bent to the right angle after warming in the oven. Looks good and you’d never know it’s DIY.

I share your disdain for arcane user interfaces. I don’t feel like remembering obscure procedures that are used rarely. A user interface should be self-explanatory OR offer contextual guidance. It’s not OK for procedures to simply be opaque without the manual. Bad software design.
 
EmptySea_imp said:
Congratulations! Looks good. I think all the negatives will slip away as you get to know the bike better.
(+1) Congratulations Ferret. Enjoy the journey, and as always, you will find your way.

The shift paddles are useful.
 
Thread starter
Thanks guys. Learning new things is not so easy for someone of my age and mental capabilities. I'm also trying to learn how to stream on my new "smart TV", so I can cut down on the cable bill which seems to go up a couple times a year. Started at $45 now at $160 with no changes in programming, and they tell me it's going up another $32 in December. Trouble is it's bundled with my internet and if I cancel the cable they will raise my internet to $100 a month. What a system.


Cormanus_imp said:
Looks good, Ferret. You’ll nail it soon. Does it handle OK?
Seems to Cormanus, but I haven't pushed it yet, being new with brand new tires and all. I adjusted the bars, mirrors and the hand brake lever to suit me last night. Man those bolts were tight lol.

Checked tire pressures this morning and set to suit me and put some static protection on the gas tank where my lanyard camera hits.

Stuffed a tire repair kit, my shield cleaning supplies, a couple of thin Rok straps and a ball cap in the frunk.
 
Congrats Ferret!

I'm going to download the owners manual and read up on your bike. Sounds interesting.
 
I found the short screen on my 2018 annoying and makes me wonder if the designers actually test ride these bikes before they're approved for manufacture. I went with a tall Puig screen and for me, very comfortable to ride behind. Biggest complaint I see on the FB group is the seat but I find it good. Resetting the clock is a study in frustration. Handling is very good but the stock Bridgestones on mine are not a help but do well on my sandy dirt road.
 
tj_gee_imp said:
I really want to grab one of these for the wife. And me, but mostly the wife, I promise.
Aside to having no final shaft drive, the NC is a reliable "hop-n-go" machine. No fuss. Gets dirty? Who cares - no chrome. Just spray rinse off.
 
Very nice! I'm looking at the rising prices of CB1100s. The current craziness in pricing for all vehicles may be the reason, but if it is truly the "future classic" factor, if prices get to the point that I'd want to sideline my '13 as a daily rider and keep the miles somewhat low, an NC is on the top of my list as a replacement commuter.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Thanks guys. Learning new things is not so easy for someone of my age and mental capabilities. I'm also trying to learn how to stream on my new "smart TV", so I can cut down on the cable bill which seems to go up a couple times a year. Started at $45 now at $160 with no changes in programming, and they tell me it's going up another $32 in December. Trouble is it's bundled with my internet and if I cancel the cable they will raise my internet to $100 a month. What a system.


Cormanus_imp said:
Looks good, Ferret. You’ll nail it soon. Does it handle OK?
Seems to Cormanus, but I haven't pushed it yet, being new with brand new tires and all. I adjusted the bars, mirrors and the hand brake lever to suit me last night. Man those bolts were tight lol.

Checked tire pressures this morning and set to suit me and put some static protection on the gas tank where my lanyard camera hits.

Stuffed a tire repair kit, my shield cleaning supplies, a couple of thin Rok straps and a ball cap in the frunk.
If it was made in Thailand, they are known to use gorilla power on all bolts.
 
Thread starter
Have no idea where it was made lol

Rode 125 miles today. Like yesterday I reached for the non existent the clutch lever once, moved my toe over to hit the non existent shift lever once and tried to blow the horn at a UPS driver that looked like he might pull out in front of me and cancelled the turn signal that wasn't on. I also tried the paddle shifters by accident today and that mode is pretty cool, and pretty much like normal as long as you remember where the paddles are and when to hit them. I guess I hit the manual button when I took off and was wondering why my bike was revving. but wasn't shifting to second, so I hit the upshift paddle and it hit second. Then I rode the next 15 minutes using the paddles until I got to my buddy's house I was riding with today. When I got to his house I hit buttons until the little D came on in the gauge. Now I know to look for that to be in std automatic mode lol. Haven't tried Sport mode yet

As I was riding today I decided if you didn't go into it, with the preconceived notion as to what rpms gear changes SHOULD take place (up and down), and just let it do it's thing, the DCT trans is BRIILIANT.

some pics from today

9dc34fd5cc6a411316cf0c1ecdfb2d46.jpg


7da8bfa0e5fac67bf8c09bed592abd35.jpg


7e04f16958b7541f1427a472c5794910.jpg


5279cf9ee04c83b44f54e97264fbe1dd.jpg


69b58eb17d9690673b9696b0d77c08fa.jpg


5b6535c27655a8d676a446d3692b3784.jpg
 
The ferret_imp said:
Have no idea where it was made lol

Rode 125 miles today. Like yesterday I reached for the non existent the clutch lever once, moved my toe over to hit the non existent shift lever once and tried to blow the horn at a UPS driver that looked like he might pull out in front of me and cancelled the turn signal that wasn't on. I also tried the paddle shifters by accident today and that mode is pretty cool, and pretty much like normal as long as you remember where the paddles are and when to hit them. I guess I hit the manual button when I took off and was wondering why my bike was revving. but wasn't shifting to second, so I hit the upshift paddle and it hit second. Then I rode the next 15 minutes using the paddles until I got to my buddy's house I was riding with today. When I got to his house I hit buttons until the little D came on in the gauge. Now I know to look for that to be in std automatic mode lol. Haven't tried Sport mode yet

As I was riding today I decided if you didn't go into it, with the preconceived notion as to what rpms gear changes SHOULD take place (up and down), and just let it do it's thing, the DCT trans is BRIILIANT.

some pics from today

9dc34fd5cc6a411316cf0c1ecdfb2d46.jpg


7da8bfa0e5fac67bf8c09bed592abd35.jpg


7e04f16958b7541f1427a472c5794910.jpg


5279cf9ee04c83b44f54e97264fbe1dd.jpg


69b58eb17d9690673b9696b0d77c08fa.jpg


5b6535c27655a8d676a446d3692b3784.jpg
Ferret, we does your ZZ Top friend ride ?
....and he is holding my fave cone ice cream
:thumbsup:
 
Back
Top