Phone mounting issues

my last 3 phones, samsung s8, s9, & google pixel 3 all broke on me b/c of m/c vibrations propogated right through the ram ball phone mounts. , 2 lost auto focus feature, & 1 broken charging port

this new 5g phone i recently purchased got put to the test. i used this vibration damping phone adapter from buzz-kill on a 2 week trip to/fr mexico, riding on primarily unpaved, unmanaged, dirt roads & two 1300 mile interstate days covering 650 miles/day.



it bolts up right inbetween ram phone holder and ram ball
 
Devils advocate, it sounds like its the ram mounts. For the price and then added cost of adding a any vibration adapters.. I dont know any of the 19 guys in my crew that had issues with the regular handlebar mounts from Amazon with the rubber spider web netting that goes over the corners. And im talking anything from Harleys to R1s


Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
 
RAM X-Grip are great. But when in doubt, wirelessly tether a [old] "slave" phone (in the mount of your choice) to your current baby in your jacket pocket. Then you will find, Bob's yer uncle.
 
When we were doing our testing, the biggest problem we encountered was that Iphones are much more senstive to temperature. When we mounted on the steering wheels in hot sunlight, they would shut down fairly quickly, while the cheapie Samsung Androids would continue to run under any heat or sunlight conditions.
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
When we were doing our testing, the biggest problem we encountered was that Iphones are much more senstive to temperature. When we mounted on the steering wheels in hot sunlight, they would shut down fairly quickly, while the cheapie Samsung Androids would continue to run under any heat or sunlight conditions.
Not exactly testing but we spend alot of time at the beach here on the island and iPhones always have to go under the towels or inside a shoe for that same reason. They get that notification that the battery is too hot I believe and shuts down for safety.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
 
Yup. We kept plastic baggies on hand so we could put the Iphones in them and toss them in the drink cooler to get them to start back up quickly. That's one of the reasons I keep my Iphone in my pocket and just Bluetooth any needed info to my ear.
 
mvk24_imp said:
Gone in 60_imp said:
When we were doing our testing, the biggest problem we encountered was that Iphones are much more senstive to temperature. When we mounted on the steering wheels in hot sunlight, they would shut down fairly quickly, while the cheapie Samsung Androids would continue to run under any heat or sunlight conditions.
Not exactly testing but we spend alot of time at the beach here on the island and iPhones always have to go under the towels or inside a shoe for that same reason. They get that notification that the battery is too hot I believe and shuts down for safety.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
I see from your previous post you had Amazon items delivered to ******** *****. Before I moved to Florida I lived in ******* from 1974 to 1987. When I moved, my daughter bought my house and still lives there. I have fond memories of *******...
 
decarmine_imp said:
mvk24_imp said:
Gone in 60_imp said:
When we were doing our testing, the biggest problem we encountered was that Iphones are much more senstive to temperature. When we mounted on the steering wheels in hot sunlight, they would shut down fairly quickly, while the cheapie Samsung Androids would continue to run under any heat or sunlight conditions.
Not exactly testing but we spend alot of time at the beach here on the island and iPhones always have to go under the towels or inside a shoe for that same reason. They get that notification that the battery is too hot I believe and shuts down for safety.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
I see from your previous post you had Amazon items delivered to ******** *****. Before I moved to Florida I lived in ******* from 1974 to 1987. When I moved, my daughter bought my house and still lives there. I have fond memories of *******...
I see from your previous post you had Amazon items delivered to ****** *****. Before I moved to Florida I lived in ******* from 1974 to 1987. When I moved, my daughter bought my house and still lives there. I have fond memories of ******... Haha yes I did not know that info was in the screenshot thank you! Small world my friend, more and more people leaving here. Especially my age, nobody can afford to live here anymore.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
 
Just looking over these ideas about phone mounting, doing more medium length errands on the bike. My main reason is navigation, not staring at the phone, but reminders at times.

I try to just memorize turns enough to get me going a while, not always easy. I’m looking over that calimotor app some too.
 
Sourdough: In terms of navigation, a Cardo Freecom or similar Bluetooth audio solution will allow Google Maps to verbally queue you of your turns while your phone is in your pocket. Something worth reviewing.
 
E11even_Hunnit_imp said:
As explained on the other thread, later iPhone cameras will literally take a sh*t with the RAM X mount, due to the vibrations. This is not the case for every smartphone out there though- I ran a 6S Plus over the course of 4+ years on different bike/stem mount setups, camera didn't even flinch.

You can try to get some foam and make some sort of dampening pad to help ease the vibrations if you want, but as someone who has been to the Apple store for repairs/replacements more than 5 times over the course of 6 months, I don't recommend you try your luck, at least not without having Apple care or some other form of warranty.

The RAM X cradle works wonders, provided you have all 4 rubber pads AND use your corner "net" restrain. Why it's too much to handle for the newer iPhones is beyond me

Is it the bike that produces vibrations that are too intense? or is it that the phone/camera design is flawed from the go? Who knows

You have been warned
The problem with the vibration is that phone with image stabilization have a gyroscope in the OIS (optical image stabilization) unit. It isn’t digital stabilization but rather mechanical. Constant vibration of that gyroscope causes it to fail much sooner than normal. Failure of the OIS will cause your camera to be unable to focus.

The phone can also be affected by the vibration causing ribbon cables to become disconnected which can cause display failure issues, antenna reception problems, etc. Most of the problems can be repaired either with a new OIS unit or reconnection of any disconnected cables.
 
ride4now_imp said:
Hey guys, I’d like to use Ram Mounts X-Bracket on my bikes to hold my IPhone11. However, I’ve heard some negative reports that the phone can’t handle the vibration. Has anyone had an issue with their phone on their bikes? I probably wouldn’t use it on my KLR (if I’m off-road) but seem to think it would be ok on my CB and even my Harley. Any thoughts?
i mounted my iPhone 8+ on a Ram X on a different bike and it killed the auto-focus after just a few rides. To my amazement, Apple replaced the camera under warranty.
 
I'm a really slow learner.....I've killed 3 different I-Phones (10 and 11) camera sensors using a variety of phone mounts....my friends android phones don't seem bothered--but their cameras aren't as good IMO
 
nsrrider_imp said:
I'm a really slow learner.....I've killed 3 different I-Phones (10 and 11) camera sensors using a variety of phone mounts....my friends android phones don't seem bothered--but their cameras aren't as good IMO
... iPhone/iPad folks seem to always ooo 'n' awe over Samsung Galaxy S android camera quality. (e.g. S8 and later, especially S10 and above).

I think: Wait, you use iPhone?
 
Haven't read through all the posts, but my experience - For over a year, 90% of my 40 minute (each way) commute to work on my CB1100 with an Ram X-grip mounted with the u-bolt attachment just to the right of the right side handlebar riser. I also have an iPhone 11 Pro with a Unicorn Beetle case. I have not had any issues with my phone. That being said, the Unicorn Beetle case is pretty good about damping the force from drops. If you're worried about the phone, I'd just get a decent case with good shock absorbing features.
 
I can’t remember where, but I’m sure I recently read that phone companies, and maybe Apple in particular, were warning about the dangers of certain types of vibrations for the small mechanical parts of their cameras.
 
Back
Top