Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
What a day! After the rain and wind of the past two days today must have looked like a postcard picture on the TV. It was still very cold for this time of year but at least it was dry. The racing was good however not up to the usual standard that we've come to expect where a cigarette paper thickness separates the front end of the pack ... well sometimes it does. A shame that Marquez bit the dust but when it happened the crowd got a little excited thinking that it could mean that Rossi had a chance to win. Rossi rode like a demon until there was just no hope 'cos Crutchlow was just way too fast today. As usual the Moto 3 and Moto 2 made good entertainment.The ferret_imp said:1 A.M. Ugggg for an old guy like me this is tortuous. Been asleep 4 hours and woke up to watch the race. At least its a beautiful day on Phillip Island today, which should allow back markers Lorenzo and Rossi to work towards the front. Should be interesting.
I should get a DVR lol.
I can't put spoiler alert in the title until the morning when I can get to my PC in the bedroom where the Mrs is sleeping.
Well that was interesting.
Trust Cormanus, Ptero, noroomtomove, and Aussieflyer are enjoying the race and day.
Yep, and wingless. Came from 15th on the grid to 2nd. Front end feel must have been quite good on his race setup.The ferret_imp said:What a ride by Rossi. and the two Suzukis looked great, but holy cow what got into Crutchlow? lol
All true. Rossi continues to show great strength and endurance as a competitor, and just when the announcers begin to imply he may be getting long in the tooth, he'll set a pole position, or the fastest lap or practice time.The ferret_imp said:Over his career Rossi has basically been the only rider to be able to come from 3 rd or 4 th row to finish first or second. THe guy is gifted.
AS is Marquez only in another way. THe kid never puts himself in a position that he has to come from that far back.
Two of the great ones.
Vinales looked great too.
Poor Lorenzo, he is NOT one of the guys who can come from the back to the front.
It all works out somehow.CB4ME_imp said:Wow. Absolutely brilliant posts. I feel like I watched the race. Can't wait until DirecTV installs my dish next week and I get to watch 6 weeks of missed races.
Rossi is one incredible racer. And I forgive him for Sepang (I don't want to open that can of worms - let's just say I'm a big Marquez fan)
Freddie Spencer, Daytona 200, 1985. He had an engine issue and had to pull into the pits early, and dropped back to 49th place. Came all the way back and won it, even with tire changes. He also won the 500cc and 250cc races that weekend.The ferret_imp said:Over his career Rossi has basically been the only rider to be able to come from 3 rd or 4 th row to finish first or second. THe guy is gifted.
AS is Marquez only in another way. THe kid never puts himself in a position that he has to come from that far back.
Two of the great ones.
Vinales looked great too.
Poor Lorenzo, he is NOT one of the guys who can come from the back to the front.
Freddie's career was over by 1986. Two World Titles in 1985. Too many injuries. He stated at the end of that video that he planned on getting as successful as possible as soon as possible. The more I think about that guy, the more I am in awe of his mind.The ferret_imp said:There have been several riders who have done it.
Rossi is the only one that has consistantly done it year after year. Being a traditionally horrible qualifier the last few years, he has had to work his way thru the pack many times. Which is kind of stunning when you think about the quality of riders that Rossi has done this to.
Yes, that Turn 4 is a tough one, easy to get sucked into. I was thinking of this after reading N. Ientasch's comments about KR Jr. stating there were certain turns where he never pushed it because the chances of losing the bike were too high.redbirds_imp said:Had the race recorded and just finished watching. Major congrats to Crutchlow for a fine race. Rossi always seems at his best when faced with a challenge such as starting from 15th. Rossi did set the fastest lap I believe and he wisely settled for second when he realized the futility of trying to run down Crutchlow. A shame that A, Espargaro crashed out late. Crutchlow mentioned how cautious he became in braking for turn 4 after observing Marquez's crash at same.