Personal injury protection on your moto: just add it

zbillster_imp

Been there
Thread starter
With changes to my self-employed health insurance status in 2019, I decided to add the maximum personal injury coverage I could on my Progressive policy ($25,000). At the time near the end of the policy term, it was only $100 or so.

So glad I did.

This is less than 24 hours in the hospital for concussion, broken collarbone and some minor abrasions on my arm:

97c1cb976a7d890315105eb413295484.jpg


Oh, and that's with the discount applied:

62f33399651b4679fb52d5afdd12dbf0.jpg


Funny, I don't remember that many nurses in my bed. Must have been the champagne they ordered.

It doesn't include the ambulance ride ($2000), the doctor's time ($850), more bloodwork ($150) and follow-up visits with the orthopedic physician's assistant (so far $200 a pop).

Some of the crazier charges include about $1000 for 30 minutes of "physical therapy evaluation" ... which translates into walking me around for 10 minutes and asking me questions about my name and such to see if I can answer.

The big ticket items were x-rays and body scans ... about $12,000 before discount. I guess that's the infamous machine that goes "ping."

Fun times! :dodgy:
 
geezalou, that's crazy.

guess the ambulance at $2K (ridiculous) is still cheap compared to a air lift ride.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
geezalou, that's crazy.

guess the ambulance at $2K (ridiculous) is still cheap compared to a air lift ride.
the mileage charge on that ... 24 miles ... was $384.
i guess that's uber XL XL XL!
 
m in sc_imp said:
yikes.

earlier this week i heard a story on npr where they were talking about people taking ubers to hospitals that couldnt drive but were not in life threatening situations. really not a terrible idea. but it shouldn't be that way, either. I have similar coverage as you though.
I work at a hospital. Can vouch for seeing more people Uber in for urgent/emergency care. Even as a hospital employee most medical procedures are financially out of reach for me. It’s a crazy world we live in right now.
 
m in sc_imp said:
yikes.

earlier this week i heard a story on npr where they were talking about people taking ubers to hospitals that couldnt drive but were not in life threatening situations. really not a terrible idea. but it shouldn't be that way, either. I have similar coverage as you though.
How does the Uber ride work out in the end when the passenger is gushing blood everywhere?

Just wondering.
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
m in sc_imp said:
yikes.

earlier this week i heard a story on npr where they were talking about people taking ubers to hospitals that couldnt drive but were not in life threatening situations. really not a terrible idea. but it shouldn't be that way, either. I have similar coverage as you though.
How does the Uber ride work out in the end when the passenger is gushing blood everywhere?

Just wondering.
How does the Uber ride work out in the end when the passenger is gushing blood everywhere?

Just wondering.
Bad rider rating from Uber - you'll probably be put on "surge" pricing permanently.
 
Thread starter
So Progressive insurance has been pretty swell about all this ... the guy who did the estimate on the bike is a big CB/retro fan and was telling me how much he loved seeing my bike. (It's still in the Honda shop ... their estimate just got finalized so probably waiting for parts from Japan ... I should have mentioned that my RLETs popped off and were lost in the grass.) ;)

The personal injury adjuster told me that getting proper paperwork out of Baylor is like pulling teeth, and it's true. I joked that every time I go outside now, I pin a note to my chest that says, "Do NOT take me to Baylor hospital."

If I wasn't passed out I would have opted for an Uber to an urgent care clinic. :-/

With the personal injury coverage, I am in much better shape than if I just had my cheapo private health insurance from 2018 ... then I would be subject to an $8000 deductible plus 40% coinsurance on the ambulance, scans, etc. Hopefully I will just be out the $1000 deductible on the policy.
 
the rlets took most of the hit by popping off. Shudder to think how bad it could have been had you not had them on when this happened.
 
I am very sure, they did, Cellar Master and his Lordship will confirm your findings, as soon as they read it ( they are not online yet) :P
Still Padawan I am :hello:
 
I'd hate to see the condition of those RLETs - probably very ugly, forever lost in the deep grass.

- - -

Bill: Your ongoing story is reading more positive. I hope it is, and more so.
 
zbillster_imp said:
So Progressive insurance has been pretty swell about all this ... the guy who did the estimate on the bike is a big CB/retro fan and was telling me how much he loved seeing my bike. (It's still in the Honda shop ... their estimate just got finalized so probably waiting for parts from Japan ... I should have mentioned that my RLETs popped off and were lost in the grass.) ;)

The personal injury adjuster told me that getting proper paperwork out of Baylor is like pulling teeth, and it's true. I joked that every time I go outside now, I pin a note to my chest that says, "Do NOT take me to Baylor hospital."

If I wasn't passed out I would have opted for an Uber to an urgent care clinic. :-/

With the personal injury coverage, I am in much better shape than if I just had my cheapo private health insurance from 2018 ... then I would be subject to an $8000 deductible plus 40% coinsurance on the ambulance, scans, etc. Hopefully I will just be out the $1000 deductible on the policy.
The ferret_imp said:
the rlets took most of the hit by popping off. Shudder to think how bad it could have been had you not had them on when this happened.
Gee this sheds a new light on things. When did the RLETs pop off? Was it before the accident? Maybe losing them caused it? Or was it during the accident when they popped off to provide you with some protection? Or did they do a runner after the event?

Seriously, zbillster, the hospital costs are staggering. Perhaps this is not the place to speculate on why they are so high or what could be done, but I shudder to think how people who either can’t afford insurance or ca; afford only crappy policies get on in circumstances like yours.

I hope you’re recovering OK.
 
Thread starter
Cormanus_imp said:
zbillster_imp said:
So Progressive insurance has been pretty swell about all this ... the guy who did the estimate on the bike is a big CB/retro fan and was telling me how much he loved seeing my bike. (It's still in the Honda shop ... their estimate just got finalized so probably waiting for parts from Japan ... I should have mentioned that my RLETs popped off and were lost in the grass.) ;)

The personal injury adjuster told me that getting proper paperwork out of Baylor is like pulling teeth, and it's true. I joked that every time I go outside now, I pin a note to my chest that says, "Do NOT take me to Baylor hospital."

If I wasn't passed out I would have opted for an Uber to an urgent care clinic. :-/

With the personal injury coverage, I am in much better shape than if I just had my cheapo private health insurance from 2018 ... then I would be subject to an $8000 deductible plus 40% coinsurance on the ambulance, scans, etc. Hopefully I will just be out the $1000 deductible on the policy.
The ferret_imp said:
the rlets took most of the hit by popping off. Shudder to think how bad it could have been had you not had them on when this happened.
Gee this sheds a new light on things. When did the RLETs pop off? Was it before the accident? Maybe losing them caused it? Or was it during the accident when they popped off to provide you with some protection? Or did they do a runner after the event?

Seriously, zbillster, the hospital costs are staggering. Perhaps this is not the place to speculate on why they are so high or what could be done, but I shudder to think how people who either can’t afford insurance or ca; afford only crappy policies get on in circumstances like yours.

I hope you’re recovering OK.
The ferret_imp said:
the rlets took most of the hit by popping off. Shudder to think how bad it could have been had you not had them on when this happened.
Gee this sheds a new light on things. When did the RLETs pop off? Was it before the accident? Maybe losing them caused it? Or was it during the accident when they popped off to provide you with some protection? Or did they do a runner after the event?

Seriously, zbillster, the hospital costs are staggering. Perhaps this is not the place to speculate on why they are so high or what could be done, but I shudder to think how people who either can’t afford insurance or ca; afford only crappy policies get on in circumstances like yours.

I hope you’re recovering OK.
1. I located the RLETs ... they are still on eBay, waiting for me to buy them. :D

2. Yeah, I don't want to get into a debate about heathcare economics here (though I will include a podcast link below with some historical insight and leave it at that) ... but the main reason I have to give up the motorcycle hobby is the potentially devastating economic effects of events like this ... just imagine if I was more seriously injured and in the hospital for weeks or months ... I would be living in a cardboard box on the street after recovery.

And, technically, this was "the other guy's" fault and he should be financially responsible, but because I avoided the collision ... :dodgy:

I also don't want to be a downer on the forum ... I avoided reading or listening to crash stories when I got back into riding again ... I just didn't want to think about it ... but it is a reality I now have to face.

3. Recovery ... just giving the broken collarbone time to heal, and wearing out my sprained left hand with typing. :s I am hoping there is no strength or function loss or chronic pain down the road ... mostly depends on how the broken bits fuse back together naturally and whether there is any shortening ... if not, surgery may be in store to rebuild it ... and that's another $10,000 to $20,000 out of my pocket.

Here's the podcast link, and that is all I will say on that topic here ...

 
In my opinion, the problem comes when health services are economically treated like any other product or service, where rules of supply and demand apply, so the market (and prices) regulate themselves (ideally).

Oversimplifying: The law of supply and demand implies a perfect market, which includes that the consumers can choose wether to buy or not to buy. When too many decide not to buy, price goes down. When too many decide to buy, price will rise. When you are bleeding on the road, that is usually a no-brainer, no matter how high is the price: you'll just need to "buy".
 
Strong the RLETS are. Well the job they did. A special place in the castle put they will be. PB will see to it :)
 
Bill: You have been quite generous sharing your perspective, challenges and feelings during this unexpected journey with the Forum. That takes some guts, and you have been a champ throughout it all.
 
In certain circumstances and in certain states, the Personal Injury Protection/Medical Payments coverage on your motorcycle policy will not be used to pay your health insurance deductible. Instead, it will be used to reduce your health insurance carrier's loss expense. So, say you have a $25,000 injury, $10,000 in "medical coverage" with your motorcycle insurance, and a $5,000 health insurance deductible. In some cases, your health insurance provider will subrogate against your MC insurance, making the total loss to them $15,000. You would still be liable for your $5,000 deductible.

I have worked in insurance for over 35 years and only learned about this little quirk when my wife broke her leg in a single vehicle motorcycle accident. We wound up negotiating down what we owed to the hospital, but not to zero as I think it should have been. Also, if she had been in an accident with someone else and she was not at fault, their insurance company would have picked up the deductible. All of this is way too convoluted to be unwound here.
 
Sea, based on your, Zbillster experience and your 35-y employment with insurance company, no one really knows how the policy will play until something happens...

While vacationing in the US few years ago, my son ended up in 2 different hospitals with some procedure done overnight & released AM...we only saw two bills for x-rays, that totalled U$900+:huh:....and finally we ended up with paying nothing...my work and additional son's insurance entirely dealt with it, dUH...
 
Today I got another $ 200 invoice for an biopsy done in October last year .Bills keep coming for a long time after something was done and they come from all different directions !
 
Reading these stories is a solid reminder for being grateful for the health care program in Ontario. We get a bill copy, but it is a notice to show how tax dollars are being spent on one's procedure(s) and care administration.
 
Back
Top