Insurance... Just need to vent

Thread starter
Cormanus, this goes back to the '90s, when I hung up my insurance hat, so it's possible that things have changed, and Empty, correct me if I'm wrong... in California, insurance follows a vehicle, not the person operating it. So, if a vehicle caused an accident, resulting in damages and injuries to other parties, and inflicting damage to the vehicle itself, the vehicle's policy would be liable for the cost.

So, let's say I let someone borrow my car, and they cause an accident. My policy is still the primary coverage. Where the specific operator of the vehicle comes into play is if the policy is written as "Named Driver Only", stating that as the owner of the car, coverage only extends if I am driving at the time of the accident. I very rarely came across these policies, as it is assumed that in a multi-person household, anyone in the household has potential access to all of the vehicles. I can tell my wife "Only I can ride the motorcyles", but there is nothing physically stopping her from riding one of them.

I did have the unfortunate task of telling a few insureds that their totalled cars were not covered becuase they had a named-driver-only policy, and let someone borrow the car, who wrecked it.
 
Thanks, Gone. That makes good sense, but it doesn’t answer my question about whether the policy contains an exclusion so the insurer is not liable if the vehicle is being operated illegally—for example, by an unlicensed driver or one over the blood-alcohol limit. Another example: would the insurer accept liability (or have to accept it) if your car was stolen or borrowed without your consent?

I might check my own vehicle policy and see what it says.

Update: my policy follows my bike, but there would be no coverage if the bike were operated, with my consent, by someone who did not have the requisite license.
 
I would hope vehicle owners, particularly bike owners would manage their ignition keys in a reasonable way to impede unauthorized use from family or other members (?) of the human race.
 
I have State Farm for our cars and house and liability insurance for 38 years and had Progressive for 35 years for my bikes and never had a problem with either but than I NEVER had to put a claim in for anything . You only know how good your insurance is till you need them . For us it paid to stay loyal to the insurance companies we have.
 
Thread starter
Everyone says USAA is the greatest, and I should never leave them. One of these days maybe I should shop around.
 
Any number given here is for information only and is not adequate for comparison with other insurances.
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
Everyone says USAA is the greatest, and I should never leave them. One of these days maybe I should shop around.
Like some other Forum folks have lightly suggested:

Every few years check around. It is likely you'll end up where you are insurance wise, but at least you can feel good, and maybe even get a better deal with your current provider.
 
I am so glad that I got out of CA. The nonsense that oozes from that state is deadly if you asked me.
The stupid laws and rules that other states pick up on and thing "heeey... we should do that here" are just bad for society at large.

I'm glad you got your bike covered because requiring all drivers in a household to be motorcycle endorsed is BEYOND idiotic. I mean, think about it. You have kids and they become of driving age and all of the sudden they either need to become proficient on a motorcycle or you can't ride? That's one of the implications of a law/rule like this. Give me a break.
 
Back to the initial “venting” , Gone. Don’t we all have the impression that all sorts of people working for all sorts of companies have simply forgotten how to say “I don’t know, let me ... and I get back to you” ?
Instead “they vent” any excuse, I mean anything...

Is this fear of admitting or orders from above?
 
Thread starter
This experience made me stop and think about the sad fact that, in large part, customer service is really a thing of the past. Randy, you're right, it's idiotic, and if you think about it, even for California standards it's too idiotic to be real. I'm certain that the first two guys I spoke with were seriously misunderstanding something. There's no way that everyone in California who owns a motorcycle can't get insurance without everyone in the household being endorsed for riding. The third guy was the return to sanity.
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
This experience made me stop and think about the sad fact that, in large part, customer service is really a thing of the past. Randy, you're right, it's idiotic, and if you think about it, even for California standards it's too idiotic to be real. I'm certain that the first two guys I spoke with were seriously misunderstanding something. There's no way that everyone in California who owns a motorcycle can't get insurance without everyone in the household being endorsed for riding. The third guy was the return to sanity.
Yeah, but they will die on that hill for sure. Something is wrong inside the company and they need to get it straightened out. I'm with USAA and thankfully I haven't run into those issues. But then again I haven't added a new vehicle in 10 years.
 
Thread starter
So, in the final analysis, as I called USAA to take the CB300R off of my policy as I was riding home in an Uber having delivered the bike to its new owner. No issues on that call, took five minutes.

Just logged on to USAA to confirm that they handled it, and looked at my updated bill. I'm getting a credit back. Apparently the Enfield is quite a bit cheaper to insure than a 300cc Honda. Maybe their actuarial data says that a new rider is more likely to wad up a beginner bike than an old fart on a vintage-style British wannabe bike.

But hey, this new bike is already saving me money!
 
As luck would have it- I pulled up to an intersection today right as someone pulled up next to me on one of these- in orange.

Caught my eye because of the orange and old school look- had to see what it was- so stared as I went by and saw the tank logo.

Of course whomever it was will never know- but he probably would be proud to know I thought the bike looked great- and was a cool option- no matter it's cost or performance specs.
 
Thread starter
m in sc_imp said:
a lot of it is based on incidents reported on that particular vehicle. example: the old f150 i had was more expensive to insure than the new (07) nissan 350Z nismo my (then) wife had. more claims were made on f150s than 350z's (the nismos didnt have a unique vin for the 1st run of the 1500 that were made). I would imagine more people crash on a cbr300, and claim it, than an enfield.
... which makes it funny that they list my Fiesta ST as a 'station wagon', and it's the cheapest vehicle on my policy. It's actually a teenager's first experience with a tree in most cases, and the classified section on the Fiesta ST forum is riddled with "Totalled it, parting out" posts. But I ain't complaining!
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
So, in the final analysis, as I called USAA to take the CB300R off of my policy as I was riding home in an Uber having delivered the bike to its new owner. No issues on that call, took five minutes.

Just logged on to USAA to confirm that they handled it, and looked at my updated bill. I'm getting a credit back. Apparently the Enfield is quite a bit cheaper to insure than a 300cc Honda. Maybe their actuarial data says that a new rider is more likely to wad up a beginner bike than an old fart on a vintage-style British wannabe bike.

But hey, this new bike is already saving me money!
The gift that keeps on giving, eh Gone? :)
 
Thread starter
GoldOxide_imp said:
Gone in 60_imp said:
So, in the final analysis, as I called USAA to take the CB300R off of my policy as I was riding home in an Uber having delivered the bike to its new owner. No issues on that call, took five minutes.

Just logged on to USAA to confirm that they handled it, and looked at my updated bill. I'm getting a credit back. Apparently the Enfield is quite a bit cheaper to insure than a 300cc Honda. Maybe their actuarial data says that a new rider is more likely to wad up a beginner bike than an old fart on a vintage-style British wannabe bike.

But hey, this new bike is already saving me money!
The gift that keeps on giving, eh Gone? :)
That's what I'm telling Mrs. G in any case.
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
Gone in 60_imp said:
So, in the final analysis, as I called USAA to take the CB300R off of my policy as I was riding home in an Uber having delivered the bike to its new owner. No issues on that call, took five minutes.

Just logged on to USAA to confirm that they handled it, and looked at my updated bill. I'm getting a credit back. Apparently the Enfield is quite a bit cheaper to insure than a 300cc Honda. Maybe their actuarial data says that a new rider is more likely to wad up a beginner bike than an old fart on a vintage-style British wannabe bike.

But hey, this new bike is already saving me money!
The gift that keeps on giving, eh Gone? :)
That's what I'm telling Mrs. G in any case.
That's what I'm telling Mrs. G in any case.
:rofl:


:thumbsup:
 
Back
Top