Performance upgrades.

Motomike7_imp said:
Nachodaddy_imp said:
Welcome to the Forum, Motomike7. You will find good company and plenty of folk from all over the world offering their help and suggestions for your project. What year and model cb1100 are you riding/wrenching?
Its a 2014. sorry for my radio silence. I set it up to email me when or if someone responded to the thread and I never got any so I assumed nobody said anything haha. I have to clear that up with a few people now so I don't look like a d nozzle.
The ferret_imp said:
PowerDubs_imp said:
What happened to this guy?

Makes an interesting first post...gets responses from fellow like minded people (and some not so much) but never comes back....
He was on the forum at 10:54 am this morning? Maybe he's the shy type lol
He was on the forum at 10:54 am this morning? Maybe he's the shy type lol
sorry all, Im trying to reply to people as i see it haha. I thought I had it set to send me an email if someone replied to the thread and never got any emails so I assumed nobody responded. not trying to ignore people.
If not mistaken, you may have to go to user cp (left upper corner), then in miscellaneous (left bottom) click on subscribed threads and check the one you want, I guess?
 
Thread starter
PowerDubs_imp said:
Meters fading...eh, maybe he said screw it and bought new ones- or used on Ebay.

I can see where delving into electronics is intimidating to most.

Performance though? Simple in comparison and multifaceted in it's approach.

So- Mike isn't / wasn't 'shy'- he knew the avenues to attack - and knew there would be nannies here to poo poo on his quest.

Did he just decide to go it alone?

Did he decide to not participate here because for some odd reason this is an 'anti' performance friendly place?

I'd assume he is still alive. I'd assume he still has the bike.

But things like this-

obleo_imp said:
Draw more flies with sugar than vinegar.

and this-

Charlie Bravo_imp said:
That is a pretty intense quest, sort of like asking a Catalina 36 to perform like a J109. Just not built to do it, but it's your bike, so go head on! I modded the exhaust and intake on the Kawi Vulcan 1500 I used to have, using only what I had in my garage, which is nowhere near as nice as your set up, so have fun!

Are off putting.

Especially as these bikes age- they are going to be bought by younger people who may not have been able to afford them new...heck, may not have had their license a decade ago.... but want to play.

Relegating what is a true UJM to 'not built for that' is both ignorant and insulting to both to the heritage of what these bikes were 45-50 years ago and what THEY STILL ARE NOW- and the people that WANT TO MAKE IT THEIR OWN WAY- Universal.

Personally that B.S. old man mindset pi**es me off MUCH more than saying a word that is banned here= but can be heard everywhere else, tv, movies, on any street, at any store...

Come back Mike!! We need more motorheads here! It's a F-ING MOTORCYCLE after all- not a beige Camry.

and this-

Charlie Bravo_imp said:
That is a pretty intense quest, sort of like asking a Catalina 36 to perform like a J109. Just not built to do it, but it's your bike, so go head on! I modded the exhaust and intake on the Kawi Vulcan 1500 I used to have, using only what I had in my garage, which is nowhere near as nice as your set up, so have fun!

Are off putting.

Especially as these bikes age- they are going to be bought by younger people who may not have been able to afford them new...heck, may not have had their license a decade ago.... but want to play.

Relegating what is a true UJM to 'not built for that' is both ignorant and insulting to both to the heritage of what these bikes were 45-50 years ago and what THEY STILL ARE NOW- and the people that WANT TO MAKE IT THEIR OWN WAY- Universal.

Personally that B.S. old man mindset pi**es me off MUCH more than saying a word that is banned here= but can be heard everywhere else, tv, movies, on any street, at any store...

Come back Mike!! We need more motorheads here! It's a F-ING MOTORCYCLE after all- not a beige Camry.
It is I, back from the shadow realm haha. I appreciate you all an apologize for the lack of responses, I thought I had it set to send me an email if someone replied and never got any emails so assumed the post was ignored. I couldn't agree more with your statement about the UJMs and that is exactly why I bought this bike. I am very young, so in the forums im usually wrong no matter what I say lol. ill be 20 in a month, but I love the old bikes and the old style. I had been working and saving up for a long time and was able to buy the 1100 outright as a result, I wanted something reliable, old school styled, and at least decently quick. I have many bikes, some work some don't, mostly old bikes late 70s early 80s, and oh boy those forums are much worse for me lol. I love building bikes and im not the best with them but I couldnt see myself doing anything else and I hope to pick up vintage racing in the next year or so with a 78 kz650 im building. I get where some people are coming from, where these bikes weren't built for it. Thats true and completely fair to say however thats not the spirit of these bikes like you said. im just trying to get knowledge where I can and go from there.
peterbaron_imp said:
Motomike7_imp said:
Nachodaddy_imp said:
Welcome to the Forum, Motomike7. You will find good company and plenty of folk from all over the world offering their help and suggestions for your project. What year and model cb1100 are you riding/wrenching?
Its a 2014. sorry for my radio silence. I set it up to email me when or if someone responded to the thread and I never got any so I assumed nobody said anything haha. I have to clear that up with a few people now so I don't look like a d nozzle.
The ferret_imp said:
PowerDubs_imp said:
What happened to this guy?

Makes an interesting first post...gets responses from fellow like minded people (and some not so much) but never comes back....
He was on the forum at 10:54 am this morning? Maybe he's the shy type lol
He was on the forum at 10:54 am this morning? Maybe he's the shy type lol
sorry all, Im trying to reply to people as i see it haha. I thought I had it set to send me an email if someone replied to the thread and never got any emails so I assumed nobody responded. not trying to ignore people.
If not mistaken, you may have to go to user cp (left upper corner), then in miscellaneous (left bottom) click on subscribed threads and check the one you want, I guess?
If not mistaken, you may have to go to user cp (left upper corner), then in miscellaneous (left bottom) click on subscribed threads and check the one you want, I guess?
thank you, I will try this.
PowerDubs_imp said:
Glad your back.

If you want performance, there are a few of us here.

Mine is a 2014 as well.

d24237c3dab3f367de8b27547dc29525.jpg



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thank you, what kind of results have you seen and is there any tips on what to avoid or go for? im not expecting much, just unrestricting it as a whole.
m in sc_imp said:
@ MIKE, I GET IT. i get the same stuff from the rivet counters on the vintage stuff. that being said, Powerdubs has gone the furthest, by far, with great results, but IMHO, the next step is to get headwork done which i think he has in the plans. Curious to see where you go with this. also very curious as to where the ECM reflash above goes since no one else can do it anymore.

word of advice, IF you go with a power commander, the 6 has a lot of.. issues. I know, I fought with them a LOT getting it to work right on my bike. (there's a whole thread on here about and my complaints). I finally did get it to do what i wanted to, but I'm probably not going any further power mod wise on this bike. The PC5 was a better unit IMHO.

good luck with it! :beerchug:
thank you, yes the more I hear about the difficulties flashing the more skeptical I get of this shop. Why can nobody flash these bikes anymore?
1973cb750_imp said:
What kinda tune and who's doing the tune curious
Place called Gooch's Motorcycle repair in Hendersonville Tn, USA.

I called 2 separate times about a week apart. I asked if they could flash it to remove the speed limiter and tune the bike. I was quoted $700 as their flat rate for dyno tuning. In fact they are the only people in Middle TN that dyno tune bikes other than A harley dealer and they wont work on ye ole rice bikes.
 
Scroll back to page one... you'll see my last dyno chart...and I have a LOT more in the works.

And just last week thanks to another member here- we are now able to read and write the ECU...so tuning is no longer an issue for most basic stuff.

I have a 'tuned' ECU and can read it...others can now write it.

Just keep in mind that the tuned ecu was done on a basic bike... so I use it only for an advanced ign curve, raised rev limiter, no top speed limiter....but I use a Dynojet Power Commander w/ autotune for my fueling.

You joined at the right time... the next couple months are going to be ....interesting....
EDIT- and I *LOVE* that you are 19.

There are many here that should be ashamed of what they've become in their old age...

They don't need to participate in the adventure of youth...but to box it in, shut it down... like the flower power generation growing up to be exactly what they used to push back against.
 
Thread starter
PowerDubs_imp said:
Scroll back to page one... you'll see my last dyno chart...and I have a LOT more in the works.

And just last week thanks to another member here- we are now able to read and write the ECU...so tuning is no longer an issue for most basic stuff.

I have a 'tuned' ECU and can read it...others can now write it.

Just keep in mind that the tuned ecu was done on a basic bike... so I use it only for an advanced ign curve, raised rev limiter, no top speed limiter....but I use a Dynojet Power Commander w/ autotune for my fueling.

You joined at the right time... the next couple months are going to be ....interesting....
EDIT- and I *LOVE* that you are 19.

There are many here that should be ashamed of what they've become in their old age...

They don't need to participate in the adventure of youth...but to box it in, shut it down... like the flower power generation growing up to be exactly what they used to push back against.
Youll have to forgive my ignorance a little, despite me not being old enough to drink I am much more experienced with carburetors than efi, when you say that we can now read and write the ecu what does that imply? does this mean any dyno shop should be able to tune my bike or is it something ill have to learn in my garage? Im not opposed to learning, I just really do not want ot mess up this bike and would much prefer someone experienced to do it lol
 
Motomike7_imp said:
PowerDubs_imp said:
Meters fading...eh, maybe he said screw it and bought new ones- or used on Ebay.

I can see where delving into electronics is intimidating to most.

Performance though? Simple in comparison and multifaceted in it's approach.

So- Mike isn't / wasn't 'shy'- he knew the avenues to attack - and knew there would be nannies here to poo poo on his quest.

Did he just decide to go it alone?

Did he decide to not participate here because for some odd reason this is an 'anti' performance friendly place?

I'd assume he is still alive. I'd assume he still has the bike.

But things like this-

obleo_imp said:
Draw more flies with sugar than vinegar.

and this-

Charlie Bravo_imp said:
That is a pretty intense quest, sort of like asking a Catalina 36 to perform like a J109. Just not built to do it, but it's your bike, so go head on! I modded the exhaust and intake on the Kawi Vulcan 1500 I used to have, using only what I had in my garage, which is nowhere near as nice as your set up, so have fun!

Are off putting.

Especially as these bikes age- they are going to be bought by younger people who may not have been able to afford them new...heck, may not have had their license a decade ago.... but want to play.

Relegating what is a true UJM to 'not built for that' is both ignorant and insulting to both to the heritage of what these bikes were 45-50 years ago and what THEY STILL ARE NOW- and the people that WANT TO MAKE IT THEIR OWN WAY- Universal.

Personally that B.S. old man mindset pi**es me off MUCH more than saying a word that is banned here= but can be heard everywhere else, tv, movies, on any street, at any store...

Come back Mike!! We need more motorheads here! It's a F-ING MOTORCYCLE after all- not a beige Camry.

and this-

Charlie Bravo_imp said:
That is a pretty intense quest, sort of like asking a Catalina 36 to perform like a J109. Just not built to do it, but it's your bike, so go head on! I modded the exhaust and intake on the Kawi Vulcan 1500 I used to have, using only what I had in my garage, which is nowhere near as nice as your set up, so have fun!

Are off putting.

Especially as these bikes age- they are going to be bought by younger people who may not have been able to afford them new...heck, may not have had their license a decade ago.... but want to play.

Relegating what is a true UJM to 'not built for that' is both ignorant and insulting to both to the heritage of what these bikes were 45-50 years ago and what THEY STILL ARE NOW- and the people that WANT TO MAKE IT THEIR OWN WAY- Universal.

Personally that B.S. old man mindset pi**es me off MUCH more than saying a word that is banned here= but can be heard everywhere else, tv, movies, on any street, at any store...

Come back Mike!! We need more motorheads here! It's a F-ING MOTORCYCLE after all- not a beige Camry.
It is I, back from the shadow realm haha. I appreciate you all an apologize for the lack of responses, I thought I had it set to send me an email if someone replied and never got any emails so assumed the post was ignored. I couldn't agree more with your statement about the UJMs and that is exactly why I bought this bike. I am very young, so in the forums im usually wrong no matter what I say lol. ill be 20 in a month, but I love the old bikes and the old style. I had been working and saving up for a long time and was able to buy the 1100 outright as a result, I wanted something reliable, old school styled, and at least decently quick. I have many bikes, some work some don't, mostly old bikes late 70s early 80s, and oh boy those forums are much worse for me lol. I love building bikes and im not the best with them but I couldnt see myself doing anything else and I hope to pick up vintage racing in the next year or so with a 78 kz650 im building. I get where some people are coming from, where these bikes weren't built for it. Thats true and completely fair to say however thats not the spirit of these bikes like you said. im just trying to get knowledge where I can and go from there.
peterbaron_imp said:
Motomike7_imp said:
Nachodaddy_imp said:
Welcome to the Forum, Motomike7. You will find good company and plenty of folk from all over the world offering their help and suggestions for your project. What year and model cb1100 are you riding/wrenching?
Its a 2014. sorry for my radio silence. I set it up to email me when or if someone responded to the thread and I never got any so I assumed nobody said anything haha. I have to clear that up with a few people now so I don't look like a d nozzle.
The ferret_imp said:
PowerDubs_imp said:
What happened to this guy?

Makes an interesting first post...gets responses from fellow like minded people (and some not so much) but never comes back....
He was on the forum at 10:54 am this morning? Maybe he's the shy type lol
He was on the forum at 10:54 am this morning? Maybe he's the shy type lol
sorry all, Im trying to reply to people as i see it haha. I thought I had it set to send me an email if someone replied to the thread and never got any emails so I assumed nobody responded. not trying to ignore people.
If not mistaken, you may have to go to user cp (left upper corner), then in miscellaneous (left bottom) click on subscribed threads and check the one you want, I guess?
If not mistaken, you may have to go to user cp (left upper corner), then in miscellaneous (left bottom) click on subscribed threads and check the one you want, I guess?
thank you, I will try this.
PowerDubs_imp said:
Glad your back.

If you want performance, there are a few of us here.

Mine is a 2014 as well.

d24237c3dab3f367de8b27547dc29525.jpg



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thank you, what kind of results have you seen and is there any tips on what to avoid or go for? im not expecting much, just unrestricting it as a whole.
m in sc_imp said:
@ MIKE, I GET IT. i get the same stuff from the rivet counters on the vintage stuff. that being said, Powerdubs has gone the furthest, by far, with great results, but IMHO, the next step is to get headwork done which i think he has in the plans. Curious to see where you go with this. also very curious as to where the ECM reflash above goes since no one else can do it anymore.

word of advice, IF you go with a power commander, the 6 has a lot of.. issues. I know, I fought with them a LOT getting it to work right on my bike. (there's a whole thread on here about and my complaints). I finally did get it to do what i wanted to, but I'm probably not going any further power mod wise on this bike. The PC5 was a better unit IMHO.

good luck with it! :beerchug:
thank you, yes the more I hear about the difficulties flashing the more skeptical I get of this shop. Why can nobody flash these bikes anymore?
1973cb750_imp said:
What kinda tune and who's doing the tune curious
Place called Gooch's Motorcycle repair in Hendersonville Tn, USA.

I called 2 separate times about a week apart. I asked if they could flash it to remove the speed limiter and tune the bike. I was quoted $700 as their flat rate for dyno tuning. In fact they are the only people in Middle TN that dyno tune bikes other than A harley dealer and they wont work on ye ole rice bikes.


Don't waste your money on that. Pointless.

A power commander, a autotune add on to it, and a copy of my ecu and you can rock in roll for ANY future changes you put on the bike- at any throttle position, any RPM.

Look in the classifieds - I posted an Arrow header as a heads up that I found on Ebay (not mine)- but I have one of my own- I highly suggest you buy it before someone else does.

Shoot me a PM for something else...

Video from almost 5 years ago- have the Arrow 4-1 header in it....

 
Mike, I start on the Forum by going to the top left under my username and click on "View Today's Posts." That gives me a place to start and see what people are talking about today. From there, you can use the search engine to find older posts about other things of interest. I think the answer to your question about why no one is tuning the ECUs now commercially is that they got into trouble with the EPA because the bikes are set to meet EPA standards (in the USA) and the EPA could put them out of business for "selling" a way around that law. What you do on your own is between you and the EPA. I am not a lawyer, so don't mistake anything I say for legal advice.
 
Thread starter
PowerDubs_imp said:
Motomike7_imp said:
PowerDubs_imp said:
Meters fading...eh, maybe he said screw it and bought new ones- or used on Ebay.

I can see where delving into electronics is intimidating to most.

Performance though? Simple in comparison and multifaceted in it's approach.

So- Mike isn't / wasn't 'shy'- he knew the avenues to attack - and knew there would be nannies here to poo poo on his quest.

Did he just decide to go it alone?

Did he decide to not participate here because for some odd reason this is an 'anti' performance friendly place?

I'd assume he is still alive. I'd assume he still has the bike.

But things like this-

obleo_imp said:
Draw more flies with sugar than vinegar.

and this-

Charlie Bravo_imp said:
That is a pretty intense quest, sort of like asking a Catalina 36 to perform like a J109. Just not built to do it, but it's your bike, so go head on! I modded the exhaust and intake on the Kawi Vulcan 1500 I used to have, using only what I had in my garage, which is nowhere near as nice as your set up, so have fun!

Are off putting.

Especially as these bikes age- they are going to be bought by younger people who may not have been able to afford them new...heck, may not have had their license a decade ago.... but want to play.

Relegating what is a true UJM to 'not built for that' is both ignorant and insulting to both to the heritage of what these bikes were 45-50 years ago and what THEY STILL ARE NOW- and the people that WANT TO MAKE IT THEIR OWN WAY- Universal.

Personally that B.S. old man mindset pi**es me off MUCH more than saying a word that is banned here= but can be heard everywhere else, tv, movies, on any street, at any store...

Come back Mike!! We need more motorheads here! It's a F-ING MOTORCYCLE after all- not a beige Camry.

and this-

Charlie Bravo_imp said:
That is a pretty intense quest, sort of like asking a Catalina 36 to perform like a J109. Just not built to do it, but it's your bike, so go head on! I modded the exhaust and intake on the Kawi Vulcan 1500 I used to have, using only what I had in my garage, which is nowhere near as nice as your set up, so have fun!

Are off putting.

Especially as these bikes age- they are going to be bought by younger people who may not have been able to afford them new...heck, may not have had their license a decade ago.... but want to play.

Relegating what is a true UJM to 'not built for that' is both ignorant and insulting to both to the heritage of what these bikes were 45-50 years ago and what THEY STILL ARE NOW- and the people that WANT TO MAKE IT THEIR OWN WAY- Universal.

Personally that B.S. old man mindset pi**es me off MUCH more than saying a word that is banned here= but can be heard everywhere else, tv, movies, on any street, at any store...

Come back Mike!! We need more motorheads here! It's a F-ING MOTORCYCLE after all- not a beige Camry.
It is I, back from the shadow realm haha. I appreciate you all an apologize for the lack of responses, I thought I had it set to send me an email if someone replied and never got any emails so assumed the post was ignored. I couldn't agree more with your statement about the UJMs and that is exactly why I bought this bike. I am very young, so in the forums im usually wrong no matter what I say lol. ill be 20 in a month, but I love the old bikes and the old style. I had been working and saving up for a long time and was able to buy the 1100 outright as a result, I wanted something reliable, old school styled, and at least decently quick. I have many bikes, some work some don't, mostly old bikes late 70s early 80s, and oh boy those forums are much worse for me lol. I love building bikes and im not the best with them but I couldnt see myself doing anything else and I hope to pick up vintage racing in the next year or so with a 78 kz650 im building. I get where some people are coming from, where these bikes weren't built for it. Thats true and completely fair to say however thats not the spirit of these bikes like you said. im just trying to get knowledge where I can and go from there.
peterbaron_imp said:
Motomike7_imp said:
Nachodaddy_imp said:
Welcome to the Forum, Motomike7. You will find good company and plenty of folk from all over the world offering their help and suggestions for your project. What year and model cb1100 are you riding/wrenching?
Its a 2014. sorry for my radio silence. I set it up to email me when or if someone responded to the thread and I never got any so I assumed nobody said anything haha. I have to clear that up with a few people now so I don't look like a d nozzle.
The ferret_imp said:
PowerDubs_imp said:
What happened to this guy?

Makes an interesting first post...gets responses from fellow like minded people (and some not so much) but never comes back....
He was on the forum at 10:54 am this morning? Maybe he's the shy type lol
He was on the forum at 10:54 am this morning? Maybe he's the shy type lol
sorry all, Im trying to reply to people as i see it haha. I thought I had it set to send me an email if someone replied to the thread and never got any emails so I assumed nobody responded. not trying to ignore people.
If not mistaken, you may have to go to user cp (left upper corner), then in miscellaneous (left bottom) click on subscribed threads and check the one you want, I guess?
If not mistaken, you may have to go to user cp (left upper corner), then in miscellaneous (left bottom) click on subscribed threads and check the one you want, I guess?
thank you, I will try this.
PowerDubs_imp said:
Glad your back.

If you want performance, there are a few of us here.

Mine is a 2014 as well.

d24237c3dab3f367de8b27547dc29525.jpg



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thank you, what kind of results have you seen and is there any tips on what to avoid or go for? im not expecting much, just unrestricting it as a whole.
m in sc_imp said:
@ MIKE, I GET IT. i get the same stuff from the rivet counters on the vintage stuff. that being said, Powerdubs has gone the furthest, by far, with great results, but IMHO, the next step is to get headwork done which i think he has in the plans. Curious to see where you go with this. also very curious as to where the ECM reflash above goes since no one else can do it anymore.

word of advice, IF you go with a power commander, the 6 has a lot of.. issues. I know, I fought with them a LOT getting it to work right on my bike. (there's a whole thread on here about and my complaints). I finally did get it to do what i wanted to, but I'm probably not going any further power mod wise on this bike. The PC5 was a better unit IMHO.

good luck with it! :beerchug:
thank you, yes the more I hear about the difficulties flashing the more skeptical I get of this shop. Why can nobody flash these bikes anymore?
1973cb750_imp said:
What kinda tune and who's doing the tune curious
Place called Gooch's Motorcycle repair in Hendersonville Tn, USA.

I called 2 separate times about a week apart. I asked if they could flash it to remove the speed limiter and tune the bike. I was quoted $700 as their flat rate for dyno tuning. In fact they are the only people in Middle TN that dyno tune bikes other than A harley dealer and they wont work on ye ole rice bikes.


Don't waste your money on that. Pointless.

A power commander, a autotune add on to it, and a copy of my ecu and you can rock in roll for ANY future changes you put on the bike- at any throttle position, any RPM.

Look in the classifieds - I posted an Arrow header as a heads up that I found on Ebay (not mine)- but I have one of my own- I highly suggest you buy it before someone else does.

Shoot me a PM for something else...

Video from almost 5 years ago- have the Arrow 4-1 header in it....



Don't waste your money on that. Pointless.

A power commander, a autotune add on to it, and a copy of my ecu and you can rock in roll for ANY future changes you put on the bike- at any throttle position, any RPM.

Look in the classifieds - I posted an Arrow header as a heads up that I found on Ebay (not mine)- but I have one of my own- I highly suggest you buy it before someone else does.

Shoot me a PM for something else...

Video from almost 5 years ago- have the Arrow 4-1 header in it....

Thank you, between you and I, I work at a dealership and can get a good price on that power commander ;). as far as the exhaust goes I already put a Delkevic full system on and have a K&N high flow filter ready to drop in when I tune it.
Nachodaddy_imp said:
Mike, I start on the Forum by going to the top left under my username and click on "View Today's Posts." That gives me a place to start and see what people are talking about today. From there, you can use the search engine to find older posts about other things of interest. I think the answer to your question about why no one is tuning the ECUs now commercially is that they got into trouble with the EPA because the bikes are set to meet EPA standards (in the USA) and the EPA could put them out of business for "selling" a way around that law. What you do on your own is between you and the EPA. I am not a lawyer, so don't mistake anything I say for legal advice.
ah, makes sense. I hate the EPA like normal people hate the IRS.
 
Motomike7_imp said:
PowerDubs_imp said:
Scroll back to page one... you'll see my last dyno chart...and I have a LOT more in the works.

And just last week thanks to another member here- we are now able to read and write the ECU...so tuning is no longer an issue for most basic stuff.

I have a 'tuned' ECU and can read it...others can now write it.

Just keep in mind that the tuned ecu was done on a basic bike... so I use it only for an advanced ign curve, raised rev limiter, no top speed limiter....but I use a Dynojet Power Commander w/ autotune for my fueling.

You joined at the right time... the next couple months are going to be ....interesting....
EDIT- and I *LOVE* that you are 19.

There are many here that should be ashamed of what they've become in their old age...

They don't need to participate in the adventure of youth...but to box it in, shut it down... like the flower power generation growing up to be exactly what they used to push back against.
Youll have to forgive my ignorance a little, despite me not being old enough to drink I am much more experienced with carburetors than efi, when you say that we can now read and write the ecu what does that imply? does this mean any dyno shop should be able to tune my bike or is it something ill have to learn in my garage? Im not opposed to learning, I just really do not want ot mess up this bike and would much prefer someone experienced to do it lol


I'm saying that other than Don Guhl- who no longer tunes these bikes due to the EPA- but we now have the ability to clone what he achieved- there is no better place to be to modify your bike for more power than right here where you are....and who you are talking to.

And even Don only tuned a stock bike with a slip on as far as I know.

I'm the only person to have custom cams for this engine, to have numerous custom custom velocity stacks made, (many yet untested as I am only now about to bring my own dyno into operation- until now I paid to have testing done at local shops)- and am the only person to be running a custom split program now to tune cyls 1&2 separately from cyls 3&4.

Will repeat- there is no better place to be to modify your bike for more power than right here where you are....and who you are talking to- myself and others such as 1973CB750, MinSC, and other tech guys like Max, PopGun, sorry to others I may be forgetting off the top of my head...and I wish BeardyWeirdy was still around.

As far as I know- he was the closest to hitting 100whp...nobody else has ever done other than when I did ..and that was almost 5 years ago.

I'm currently up to 104whp - I welcome more competition.

Free dyno and tuning help at my house for any that want to try!!
Motomike7_imp said:
PowerDubs_imp said:
Motomike7_imp said:
PowerDubs_imp said:
Meters fading...eh, maybe he said screw it and bought new ones- or used on Ebay.

I can see where delving into electronics is intimidating to most.

Performance though? Simple in comparison and multifaceted in it's approach.

So- Mike isn't / wasn't 'shy'- he knew the avenues to attack - and knew there would be nannies here to poo poo on his quest.

Did he just decide to go it alone?

Did he decide to not participate here because for some odd reason this is an 'anti' performance friendly place?

I'd assume he is still alive. I'd assume he still has the bike.

But things like this-

obleo_imp said:
Draw more flies with sugar than vinegar.

and this-

Charlie Bravo_imp said:
That is a pretty intense quest, sort of like asking a Catalina 36 to perform like a J109. Just not built to do it, but it's your bike, so go head on! I modded the exhaust and intake on the Kawi Vulcan 1500 I used to have, using only what I had in my garage, which is nowhere near as nice as your set up, so have fun!

Are off putting.

Especially as these bikes age- they are going to be bought by younger people who may not have been able to afford them new...heck, may not have had their license a decade ago.... but want to play.

Relegating what is a true UJM to 'not built for that' is both ignorant and insulting to both to the heritage of what these bikes were 45-50 years ago and what THEY STILL ARE NOW- and the people that WANT TO MAKE IT THEIR OWN WAY- Universal.

Personally that B.S. old man mindset pi**es me off MUCH more than saying a word that is banned here= but can be heard everywhere else, tv, movies, on any street, at any store...

Come back Mike!! We need more motorheads here! It's a F-ING MOTORCYCLE after all- not a beige Camry.

and this-

Charlie Bravo_imp said:
That is a pretty intense quest, sort of like asking a Catalina 36 to perform like a J109. Just not built to do it, but it's your bike, so go head on! I modded the exhaust and intake on the Kawi Vulcan 1500 I used to have, using only what I had in my garage, which is nowhere near as nice as your set up, so have fun!

Are off putting.

Especially as these bikes age- they are going to be bought by younger people who may not have been able to afford them new...heck, may not have had their license a decade ago.... but want to play.

Relegating what is a true UJM to 'not built for that' is both ignorant and insulting to both to the heritage of what these bikes were 45-50 years ago and what THEY STILL ARE NOW- and the people that WANT TO MAKE IT THEIR OWN WAY- Universal.

Personally that B.S. old man mindset pi**es me off MUCH more than saying a word that is banned here= but can be heard everywhere else, tv, movies, on any street, at any store...

Come back Mike!! We need more motorheads here! It's a F-ING MOTORCYCLE after all- not a beige Camry.
It is I, back from the shadow realm haha. I appreciate you all an apologize for the lack of responses, I thought I had it set to send me an email if someone replied and never got any emails so assumed the post was ignored. I couldn't agree more with your statement about the UJMs and that is exactly why I bought this bike. I am very young, so in the forums im usually wrong no matter what I say lol. ill be 20 in a month, but I love the old bikes and the old style. I had been working and saving up for a long time and was able to buy the 1100 outright as a result, I wanted something reliable, old school styled, and at least decently quick. I have many bikes, some work some don't, mostly old bikes late 70s early 80s, and oh boy those forums are much worse for me lol. I love building bikes and im not the best with them but I couldnt see myself doing anything else and I hope to pick up vintage racing in the next year or so with a 78 kz650 im building. I get where some people are coming from, where these bikes weren't built for it. Thats true and completely fair to say however thats not the spirit of these bikes like you said. im just trying to get knowledge where I can and go from there.
peterbaron_imp said:
Motomike7_imp said:
Nachodaddy_imp said:
Welcome to the Forum, Motomike7. You will find good company and plenty of folk from all over the world offering their help and suggestions for your project. What year and model cb1100 are you riding/wrenching?
Its a 2014. sorry for my radio silence. I set it up to email me when or if someone responded to the thread and I never got any so I assumed nobody said anything haha. I have to clear that up with a few people now so I don't look like a d nozzle.
The ferret_imp said:
PowerDubs_imp said:
What happened to this guy?

Makes an interesting first post...gets responses from fellow like minded people (and some not so much) but never comes back....
He was on the forum at 10:54 am this morning? Maybe he's the shy type lol
He was on the forum at 10:54 am this morning? Maybe he's the shy type lol
sorry all, Im trying to reply to people as i see it haha. I thought I had it set to send me an email if someone replied to the thread and never got any emails so I assumed nobody responded. not trying to ignore people.
If not mistaken, you may have to go to user cp (left upper corner), then in miscellaneous (left bottom) click on subscribed threads and check the one you want, I guess?
If not mistaken, you may have to go to user cp (left upper corner), then in miscellaneous (left bottom) click on subscribed threads and check the one you want, I guess?
thank you, I will try this.
PowerDubs_imp said:
Glad your back.

If you want performance, there are a few of us here.

Mine is a 2014 as well.

d24237c3dab3f367de8b27547dc29525.jpg



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thank you, what kind of results have you seen and is there any tips on what to avoid or go for? im not expecting much, just unrestricting it as a whole.
m in sc_imp said:
@ MIKE, I GET IT. i get the same stuff from the rivet counters on the vintage stuff. that being said, Powerdubs has gone the furthest, by far, with great results, but IMHO, the next step is to get headwork done which i think he has in the plans. Curious to see where you go with this. also very curious as to where the ECM reflash above goes since no one else can do it anymore.

word of advice, IF you go with a power commander, the 6 has a lot of.. issues. I know, I fought with them a LOT getting it to work right on my bike. (there's a whole thread on here about and my complaints). I finally did get it to do what i wanted to, but I'm probably not going any further power mod wise on this bike. The PC5 was a better unit IMHO.

good luck with it! :beerchug:
thank you, yes the more I hear about the difficulties flashing the more skeptical I get of this shop. Why can nobody flash these bikes anymore?
1973cb750_imp said:
What kinda tune and who's doing the tune curious
Place called Gooch's Motorcycle repair in Hendersonville Tn, USA.

I called 2 separate times about a week apart. I asked if they could flash it to remove the speed limiter and tune the bike. I was quoted $700 as their flat rate for dyno tuning. In fact they are the only people in Middle TN that dyno tune bikes other than A harley dealer and they wont work on ye ole rice bikes.


Don't waste your money on that. Pointless.

A power commander, a autotune add on to it, and a copy of my ecu and you can rock in roll for ANY future changes you put on the bike- at any throttle position, any RPM.

Look in the classifieds - I posted an Arrow header as a heads up that I found on Ebay (not mine)- but I have one of my own- I highly suggest you buy it before someone else does.

Shoot me a PM for something else...

Video from almost 5 years ago- have the Arrow 4-1 header in it....



Don't waste your money on that. Pointless.

A power commander, a autotune add on to it, and a copy of my ecu and you can rock in roll for ANY future changes you put on the bike- at any throttle position, any RPM.

Look in the classifieds - I posted an Arrow header as a heads up that I found on Ebay (not mine)- but I have one of my own- I highly suggest you buy it before someone else does.

Shoot me a PM for something else...

Video from almost 5 years ago- have the Arrow 4-1 header in it....

Thank you, between you and I, I work at a dealership and can get a good price on that power commander ;). as far as the exhaust goes I already put a Delkevic full system on and have a K&N high flow filter ready to drop in when I tune it.
Nachodaddy_imp said:
Mike, I start on the Forum by going to the top left under my username and click on "View Today's Posts." That gives me a place to start and see what people are talking about today. From there, you can use the search engine to find older posts about other things of interest. I think the answer to your question about why no one is tuning the ECUs now commercially is that they got into trouble with the EPA because the bikes are set to meet EPA standards (in the USA) and the EPA could put them out of business for "selling" a way around that law. What you do on your own is between you and the EPA. I am not a lawyer, so don't mistake anything I say for legal advice.
ah, makes sense. I hate the EPA like normal people hate the IRS.


I have a brand new one sitting collecting dust....probably cheaper than you can get it for.

Also have a single channel autotune setup I am no longer using- used but only for a couple tanks of gas. I'm running dual channel now.

I have done various intake testing on the dyno but will be specifically testing air filters as soon as I get my dyno up and going which shouldn't be long...the final piece- big fan - arrived today.
 
Thread starter
PowerDubs_imp said:
Motomike7_imp said:
PowerDubs_imp said:
Scroll back to page one... you'll see my last dyno chart...and I have a LOT more in the works.

And just last week thanks to another member here- we are now able to read and write the ECU...so tuning is no longer an issue for most basic stuff.

I have a 'tuned' ECU and can read it...others can now write it.

Just keep in mind that the tuned ecu was done on a basic bike... so I use it only for an advanced ign curve, raised rev limiter, no top speed limiter....but I use a Dynojet Power Commander w/ autotune for my fueling.

You joined at the right time... the next couple months are going to be ....interesting....
EDIT- and I *LOVE* that you are 19.

There are many here that should be ashamed of what they've become in their old age...

They don't need to participate in the adventure of youth...but to box it in, shut it down... like the flower power generation growing up to be exactly what they used to push back against.
Youll have to forgive my ignorance a little, despite me not being old enough to drink I am much more experienced with carburetors than efi, when you say that we can now read and write the ecu what does that imply? does this mean any dyno shop should be able to tune my bike or is it something ill have to learn in my garage? Im not opposed to learning, I just really do not want ot mess up this bike and would much prefer someone experienced to do it lol


I'm saying that other than Don Guhl- who no longer tunes these bikes due to the EPA- but we now have the ability to clone what he achieved- there is no better place to be to modify your bike for more power than right here where you are....and who you are talking to.

And even Don only tuned a stock bike with a slip on as far as I know.

I'm the only person to have custom cams for this engine, to have numerous custom custom velocity stacks made, (many yet untested as I am only now about to bring my own dyno into operation- until now I paid to have testing done at local shops)- and am the only person to be running a custom split program now to tune cyls 1&2 separately from cyls 3&4.

Will repeat- there is no better place to be to modify your bike for more power than right here where you are....and who you are talking to- myself and others such as 1973CB750, MinSC, and other tech guys like Max, PopGun, sorry to others I may be forgetting off the top of my head...and I wish BeardyWeirdy was still around.

As far as I know- he was the closest to hitting 100whp...nobody else has ever done other than when I did ..and that was almost 5 years ago.

I'm currently up to 104whp - I welcome more competition.

Free dyno and tuning help at my house for any that want to try!!
Motomike7_imp said:
PowerDubs_imp said:
Motomike7_imp said:
PowerDubs_imp said:
Meters fading...eh, maybe he said screw it and bought new ones- or used on Ebay.

I can see where delving into electronics is intimidating to most.

Performance though? Simple in comparison and multifaceted in it's approach.

So- Mike isn't / wasn't 'shy'- he knew the avenues to attack - and knew there would be nannies here to poo poo on his quest.

Did he just decide to go it alone?

Did he decide to not participate here because for some odd reason this is an 'anti' performance friendly place?

I'd assume he is still alive. I'd assume he still has the bike.

But things like this-

obleo_imp said:
Draw more flies with sugar than vinegar.

and this-

Charlie Bravo_imp said:
That is a pretty intense quest, sort of like asking a Catalina 36 to perform like a J109. Just not built to do it, but it's your bike, so go head on! I modded the exhaust and intake on the Kawi Vulcan 1500 I used to have, using only what I had in my garage, which is nowhere near as nice as your set up, so have fun!

Are off putting.

Especially as these bikes age- they are going to be bought by younger people who may not have been able to afford them new...heck, may not have had their license a decade ago.... but want to play.

Relegating what is a true UJM to 'not built for that' is both ignorant and insulting to both to the heritage of what these bikes were 45-50 years ago and what THEY STILL ARE NOW- and the people that WANT TO MAKE IT THEIR OWN WAY- Universal.

Personally that B.S. old man mindset pi**es me off MUCH more than saying a word that is banned here= but can be heard everywhere else, tv, movies, on any street, at any store...

Come back Mike!! We need more motorheads here! It's a F-ING MOTORCYCLE after all- not a beige Camry.

and this-

Charlie Bravo_imp said:
That is a pretty intense quest, sort of like asking a Catalina 36 to perform like a J109. Just not built to do it, but it's your bike, so go head on! I modded the exhaust and intake on the Kawi Vulcan 1500 I used to have, using only what I had in my garage, which is nowhere near as nice as your set up, so have fun!

Are off putting.

Especially as these bikes age- they are going to be bought by younger people who may not have been able to afford them new...heck, may not have had their license a decade ago.... but want to play.

Relegating what is a true UJM to 'not built for that' is both ignorant and insulting to both to the heritage of what these bikes were 45-50 years ago and what THEY STILL ARE NOW- and the people that WANT TO MAKE IT THEIR OWN WAY- Universal.

Personally that B.S. old man mindset pi**es me off MUCH more than saying a word that is banned here= but can be heard everywhere else, tv, movies, on any street, at any store...

Come back Mike!! We need more motorheads here! It's a F-ING MOTORCYCLE after all- not a beige Camry.
It is I, back from the shadow realm haha. I appreciate you all an apologize for the lack of responses, I thought I had it set to send me an email if someone replied and never got any emails so assumed the post was ignored. I couldn't agree more with your statement about the UJMs and that is exactly why I bought this bike. I am very young, so in the forums im usually wrong no matter what I say lol. ill be 20 in a month, but I love the old bikes and the old style. I had been working and saving up for a long time and was able to buy the 1100 outright as a result, I wanted something reliable, old school styled, and at least decently quick. I have many bikes, some work some don't, mostly old bikes late 70s early 80s, and oh boy those forums are much worse for me lol. I love building bikes and im not the best with them but I couldnt see myself doing anything else and I hope to pick up vintage racing in the next year or so with a 78 kz650 im building. I get where some people are coming from, where these bikes weren't built for it. Thats true and completely fair to say however thats not the spirit of these bikes like you said. im just trying to get knowledge where I can and go from there.
peterbaron_imp said:
Motomike7_imp said:
Nachodaddy_imp said:
Welcome to the Forum, Motomike7. You will find good company and plenty of folk from all over the world offering their help and suggestions for your project. What year and model cb1100 are you riding/wrenching?
Its a 2014. sorry for my radio silence. I set it up to email me when or if someone responded to the thread and I never got any so I assumed nobody said anything haha. I have to clear that up with a few people now so I don't look like a d nozzle.
The ferret_imp said:
PowerDubs_imp said:
What happened to this guy?

Makes an interesting first post...gets responses from fellow like minded people (and some not so much) but never comes back....
He was on the forum at 10:54 am this morning? Maybe he's the shy type lol
He was on the forum at 10:54 am this morning? Maybe he's the shy type lol
sorry all, Im trying to reply to people as i see it haha. I thought I had it set to send me an email if someone replied to the thread and never got any emails so I assumed nobody responded. not trying to ignore people.
If not mistaken, you may have to go to user cp (left upper corner), then in miscellaneous (left bottom) click on subscribed threads and check the one you want, I guess?
If not mistaken, you may have to go to user cp (left upper corner), then in miscellaneous (left bottom) click on subscribed threads and check the one you want, I guess?
thank you, I will try this.
PowerDubs_imp said:
Glad your back.

If you want performance, there are a few of us here.

Mine is a 2014 as well.

d24237c3dab3f367de8b27547dc29525.jpg



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thank you, what kind of results have you seen and is there any tips on what to avoid or go for? im not expecting much, just unrestricting it as a whole.
m in sc_imp said:
@ MIKE, I GET IT. i get the same stuff from the rivet counters on the vintage stuff. that being said, Powerdubs has gone the furthest, by far, with great results, but IMHO, the next step is to get headwork done which i think he has in the plans. Curious to see where you go with this. also very curious as to where the ECM reflash above goes since no one else can do it anymore.

word of advice, IF you go with a power commander, the 6 has a lot of.. issues. I know, I fought with them a LOT getting it to work right on my bike. (there's a whole thread on here about and my complaints). I finally did get it to do what i wanted to, but I'm probably not going any further power mod wise on this bike. The PC5 was a better unit IMHO.

good luck with it! :beerchug:
thank you, yes the more I hear about the difficulties flashing the more skeptical I get of this shop. Why can nobody flash these bikes anymore?
1973cb750_imp said:
What kinda tune and who's doing the tune curious
Place called Gooch's Motorcycle repair in Hendersonville Tn, USA.

I called 2 separate times about a week apart. I asked if they could flash it to remove the speed limiter and tune the bike. I was quoted $700 as their flat rate for dyno tuning. In fact they are the only people in Middle TN that dyno tune bikes other than A harley dealer and they wont work on ye ole rice bikes.


Don't waste your money on that. Pointless.

A power commander, a autotune add on to it, and a copy of my ecu and you can rock in roll for ANY future changes you put on the bike- at any throttle position, any RPM.

Look in the classifieds - I posted an Arrow header as a heads up that I found on Ebay (not mine)- but I have one of my own- I highly suggest you buy it before someone else does.

Shoot me a PM for something else...

Video from almost 5 years ago- have the Arrow 4-1 header in it....



Don't waste your money on that. Pointless.

A power commander, a autotune add on to it, and a copy of my ecu and you can rock in roll for ANY future changes you put on the bike- at any throttle position, any RPM.

Look in the classifieds - I posted an Arrow header as a heads up that I found on Ebay (not mine)- but I have one of my own- I highly suggest you buy it before someone else does.

Shoot me a PM for something else...

Video from almost 5 years ago- have the Arrow 4-1 header in it....

Thank you, between you and I, I work at a dealership and can get a good price on that power commander ;). as far as the exhaust goes I already put a Delkevic full system on and have a K&N high flow filter ready to drop in when I tune it.
Nachodaddy_imp said:
Mike, I start on the Forum by going to the top left under my username and click on "View Today's Posts." That gives me a place to start and see what people are talking about today. From there, you can use the search engine to find older posts about other things of interest. I think the answer to your question about why no one is tuning the ECUs now commercially is that they got into trouble with the EPA because the bikes are set to meet EPA standards (in the USA) and the EPA could put them out of business for "selling" a way around that law. What you do on your own is between you and the EPA. I am not a lawyer, so don't mistake anything I say for legal advice.
ah, makes sense. I hate the EPA like normal people hate the IRS.


I have a brand new one sitting collecting dust....probably cheaper than you can get it for.

Also have a single channel autotune setup I am no longer using- used but only for a couple tanks of gas. I'm running dual channel now.

I have done various intake testing on the dyno but will be specifically testing air filters as soon as I get my dyno up and going which shouldn't be long...the final piece- big fan - arrived today.


I'm saying that other than Don Guhl- who no longer tunes these bikes due to the EPA- but we now have the ability to clone what he achieved- there is no better place to be to modify your bike for more power than right here where you are....and who you are talking to.

And even Don only tuned a stock bike with a slip on as far as I know.

I'm the only person to have custom cams for this engine, to have numerous custom custom velocity stacks made, (many yet untested as I am only now about to bring my own dyno into operation- until now I paid to have testing done at local shops)- and am the only person to be running a custom split program now to tune cyls 1&2 separately from cyls 3&4.

Will repeat- there is no better place to be to modify your bike for more power than right here where you are....and who you are talking to- myself and others such as 1973CB750, MinSC, and other tech guys like Max, PopGun, sorry to others I may be forgetting off the top of my head...and I wish BeardyWeirdy was still around.

As far as I know- he was the closest to hitting 100whp...nobody else has ever done other than when I did ..and that was almost 5 years ago.

I'm currently up to 104whp - I welcome more competition.

Free dyno and tuning help at my house for any that want to try!!
Motomike7_imp said:
PowerDubs_imp said:
Motomike7_imp said:
PowerDubs_imp said:
Meters fading...eh, maybe he said screw it and bought new ones- or used on Ebay.

I can see where delving into electronics is intimidating to most.

Performance though? Simple in comparison and multifaceted in it's approach.

So- Mike isn't / wasn't 'shy'- he knew the avenues to attack - and knew there would be nannies here to poo poo on his quest.

Did he just decide to go it alone?

Did he decide to not participate here because for some odd reason this is an 'anti' performance friendly place?

I'd assume he is still alive. I'd assume he still has the bike.

But things like this-

obleo_imp said:
Draw more flies with sugar than vinegar.

and this-

Charlie Bravo_imp said:
That is a pretty intense quest, sort of like asking a Catalina 36 to perform like a J109. Just not built to do it, but it's your bike, so go head on! I modded the exhaust and intake on the Kawi Vulcan 1500 I used to have, using only what I had in my garage, which is nowhere near as nice as your set up, so have fun!

Are off putting.

Especially as these bikes age- they are going to be bought by younger people who may not have been able to afford them new...heck, may not have had their license a decade ago.... but want to play.

Relegating what is a true UJM to 'not built for that' is both ignorant and insulting to both to the heritage of what these bikes were 45-50 years ago and what THEY STILL ARE NOW- and the people that WANT TO MAKE IT THEIR OWN WAY- Universal.

Personally that B.S. old man mindset pi**es me off MUCH more than saying a word that is banned here= but can be heard everywhere else, tv, movies, on any street, at any store...

Come back Mike!! We need more motorheads here! It's a F-ING MOTORCYCLE after all- not a beige Camry.

and this-

Charlie Bravo_imp said:
That is a pretty intense quest, sort of like asking a Catalina 36 to perform like a J109. Just not built to do it, but it's your bike, so go head on! I modded the exhaust and intake on the Kawi Vulcan 1500 I used to have, using only what I had in my garage, which is nowhere near as nice as your set up, so have fun!

Are off putting.

Especially as these bikes age- they are going to be bought by younger people who may not have been able to afford them new...heck, may not have had their license a decade ago.... but want to play.

Relegating what is a true UJM to 'not built for that' is both ignorant and insulting to both to the heritage of what these bikes were 45-50 years ago and what THEY STILL ARE NOW- and the people that WANT TO MAKE IT THEIR OWN WAY- Universal.

Personally that B.S. old man mindset pi**es me off MUCH more than saying a word that is banned here= but can be heard everywhere else, tv, movies, on any street, at any store...

Come back Mike!! We need more motorheads here! It's a F-ING MOTORCYCLE after all- not a beige Camry.
It is I, back from the shadow realm haha. I appreciate you all an apologize for the lack of responses, I thought I had it set to send me an email if someone replied and never got any emails so assumed the post was ignored. I couldn't agree more with your statement about the UJMs and that is exactly why I bought this bike. I am very young, so in the forums im usually wrong no matter what I say lol. ill be 20 in a month, but I love the old bikes and the old style. I had been working and saving up for a long time and was able to buy the 1100 outright as a result, I wanted something reliable, old school styled, and at least decently quick. I have many bikes, some work some don't, mostly old bikes late 70s early 80s, and oh boy those forums are much worse for me lol. I love building bikes and im not the best with them but I couldnt see myself doing anything else and I hope to pick up vintage racing in the next year or so with a 78 kz650 im building. I get where some people are coming from, where these bikes weren't built for it. Thats true and completely fair to say however thats not the spirit of these bikes like you said. im just trying to get knowledge where I can and go from there.
peterbaron_imp said:
Motomike7_imp said:
Nachodaddy_imp said:
Welcome to the Forum, Motomike7. You will find good company and plenty of folk from all over the world offering their help and suggestions for your project. What year and model cb1100 are you riding/wrenching?
Its a 2014. sorry for my radio silence. I set it up to email me when or if someone responded to the thread and I never got any so I assumed nobody said anything haha. I have to clear that up with a few people now so I don't look like a d nozzle.
The ferret_imp said:
PowerDubs_imp said:
What happened to this guy?

Makes an interesting first post...gets responses from fellow like minded people (and some not so much) but never comes back....
He was on the forum at 10:54 am this morning? Maybe he's the shy type lol
He was on the forum at 10:54 am this morning? Maybe he's the shy type lol
sorry all, Im trying to reply to people as i see it haha. I thought I had it set to send me an email if someone replied to the thread and never got any emails so I assumed nobody responded. not trying to ignore people.
If not mistaken, you may have to go to user cp (left upper corner), then in miscellaneous (left bottom) click on subscribed threads and check the one you want, I guess?
If not mistaken, you may have to go to user cp (left upper corner), then in miscellaneous (left bottom) click on subscribed threads and check the one you want, I guess?
thank you, I will try this.
PowerDubs_imp said:
Glad your back.

If you want performance, there are a few of us here.

Mine is a 2014 as well.

d24237c3dab3f367de8b27547dc29525.jpg



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thank you, what kind of results have you seen and is there any tips on what to avoid or go for? im not expecting much, just unrestricting it as a whole.
m in sc_imp said:
@ MIKE, I GET IT. i get the same stuff from the rivet counters on the vintage stuff. that being said, Powerdubs has gone the furthest, by far, with great results, but IMHO, the next step is to get headwork done which i think he has in the plans. Curious to see where you go with this. also very curious as to where the ECM reflash above goes since no one else can do it anymore.

word of advice, IF you go with a power commander, the 6 has a lot of.. issues. I know, I fought with them a LOT getting it to work right on my bike. (there's a whole thread on here about and my complaints). I finally did get it to do what i wanted to, but I'm probably not going any further power mod wise on this bike. The PC5 was a better unit IMHO.

good luck with it! :beerchug:
thank you, yes the more I hear about the difficulties flashing the more skeptical I get of this shop. Why can nobody flash these bikes anymore?
1973cb750_imp said:
What kinda tune and who's doing the tune curious
Place called Gooch's Motorcycle repair in Hendersonville Tn, USA.

I called 2 separate times about a week apart. I asked if they could flash it to remove the speed limiter and tune the bike. I was quoted $700 as their flat rate for dyno tuning. In fact they are the only people in Middle TN that dyno tune bikes other than A harley dealer and they wont work on ye ole rice bikes.


Don't waste your money on that. Pointless.

A power commander, a autotune add on to it, and a copy of my ecu and you can rock in roll for ANY future changes you put on the bike- at any throttle position, any RPM.

Look in the classifieds - I posted an Arrow header as a heads up that I found on Ebay (not mine)- but I have one of my own- I highly suggest you buy it before someone else does.

Shoot me a PM for something else...

Video from almost 5 years ago- have the Arrow 4-1 header in it....



Don't waste your money on that. Pointless.

A power commander, a autotune add on to it, and a copy of my ecu and you can rock in roll for ANY future changes you put on the bike- at any throttle position, any RPM.

Look in the classifieds - I posted an Arrow header as a heads up that I found on Ebay (not mine)- but I have one of my own- I highly suggest you buy it before someone else does.

Shoot me a PM for something else...

Video from almost 5 years ago- have the Arrow 4-1 header in it....

Thank you, between you and I, I work at a dealership and can get a good price on that power commander ;). as far as the exhaust goes I already put a Delkevic full system on and have a K&N high flow filter ready to drop in when I tune it.
Nachodaddy_imp said:
Mike, I start on the Forum by going to the top left under my username and click on "View Today's Posts." That gives me a place to start and see what people are talking about today. From there, you can use the search engine to find older posts about other things of interest. I think the answer to your question about why no one is tuning the ECUs now commercially is that they got into trouble with the EPA because the bikes are set to meet EPA standards (in the USA) and the EPA could put them out of business for "selling" a way around that law. What you do on your own is between you and the EPA. I am not a lawyer, so don't mistake anything I say for legal advice.
ah, makes sense. I hate the EPA like normal people hate the IRS.


I have a brand new one sitting collecting dust....probably cheaper than you can get it for.

Also have a single channel autotune setup I am no longer using- used but only for a couple tanks of gas. I'm running dual channel now.

I have done various intake testing on the dyno but will be specifically testing air filters as soon as I get my dyno up and going which shouldn't be long...the final piece- big fan - arrived today.
Hey If youve got custom cams and tunes id happily pay for it when I can. thats awsome and I commend you for the skill in doing that.
 
I’d like to see the cam profiles designed to work with the low 9.5-1 CR and tiny valves/TB’s

I don’t know where the centers are at with this bike but I can’t imagine dialing them back any for more low end/midrange as the bike is already tuned that way
 
1985CB450_imp said:
I’d like to see the cam profiles designed to work with the low 9.5-1 CR and tiny valves/TB’s

I don’t know where the centers are at with this bike but I can’t imagine dialing them back any for more low end/midrange as the bike is already tuned that way

The timing is already posted in my other threads...and there are other more aggressive profiles created than what I chose. My goal wasn't peak HP at the loss of rideabilty.

Lemme know when any other CB1100 puts down 75 WHEEL tq while NOT loosing any thing through the entire curve- but also makes that AND 104whp....

This bike is chided for being underpowered- but that's a falacy... there are many other more powerful bikes sure...that take 2-3 downshits to go anywhere. That don't move until 6-7-8-9k...
m in sc_imp said:
be warned the power commander 6 is a lot more difficult to deal with than the 5, ask how i know. would highly recommend a 5 of you can find one.


I have one... never tested it. Honestly can't imagine what the difference is.

They claim to have only narrowed the range you can move +/- without going to a Dynojet shop- who can unlock past that (cough cough)- me.

In theory that should be a very basic software change that wouldn't change behavior.... unless you were trying to load a map beyond those limits and it was unhappy...
 
I found your cam thread and it looks like you picked up around 3 hp going from stock .297/.294 lift and 199*/212* @ .050 duration to .318/.312 lift and 220*/223* @ .050 duration.

Looking at only duration at the industry standard .050 the stock 199*/212* numbers are optimized for the relatively low 9.5-1 CR. Closing the intake early (199*) helps the motor build dynamic compression which contributes to the strong low end/torque performance in stock trim. Opening that up to 220* at the same 9.5-1 CR does not really help and I bet if you looked closely at the tq numbers below 5000 rpm you would see a slight reduction. Its absolutely imperative you match CR with the cam profile, this is the reason most cam comparies such as Comp, Crower, Howards ect will state a recommended CR along with their cam selections.

In the car world I had a Comp hyd roller very similar to your modified profile in my 1973 Camaro, it was 218*/224* @ .050 and was perfectly matched at 10.25-1 CR using minimum deck height, flat top pistons and alum heads

d676fd4996cbf14d1c445198f2899d44.jpg


d3d8a3ecd46bfb05f0fa82aca763e336.jpg


Same recipe of minimal deck height, flat tops, and alum heads with my 1969 Corvette, its got a little more cam at 224*/230* @ .050 but is matched appropriately with a CR of 10.5-1

e3db522dd5bc68c0f0afb1c62112b83e.jpg


4584d1458e67f8464f264a5c63cfcc36.jpg



Both run on premium pump gas. I've had the vette for 15 yrs now and just sold the Camaro after having it for 12 yrs and over 10,000 trouble free miles.

In the motorcycle world, my GS750 was hot rodded back in the 1980's. I ran multiple Cam Motion grinds out of Baton Rouge, La in it as well as a set of Megacycle cams in the .350 lift/240* duration @ .050 range at 11-1 CR. It ended up at 802cc and had a set of 36mm Mikuni's off an early GSXR1100 and a V&H Competition Plus 4-1 exhaust. It was a very strong runner that would keep up with the typical lightly modified 900/1000 cc bikes of its time.

e5000c39651b8d3dd854184f27188563.jpg


I bought it new and at 50,000 miles I parted it out in the early 2000's and bought a new 2005 Bandit 1200. It qot the typical mods, my biggest mistake was going with a set of GSXR1100 cams at the stock 9.5-1 CR. I dialed back the cam timing to build more dynamic compression but ultimately hated it. Gutless down low and minimal top end increase for the effort. A set of stock bore 11-1 pistons fixed it and turned it into a different animal. A set RS36 Mikuni's were icing on the cake. It was very strong from 6000 rpm all the way to its 10,5000 redline

979834cdf787fd27bac9d046ecd247c9.jpg


Both 16v Suzuki's had adjustable cam sprockets, the GS750 was run at the cam manufacturers recommended 110* centerline. I tried the B1200 at the same 110* centers but ultimately settled on a 104/106* combo that gave it a strong upper midrange without sacrificing top end.

Not trying to be a debbie downer but been there and done that...unless you do something about the anemic 9.5-1 CR you are simply chasing your tail for minimal reward. Couple that with being hamstrung by the tiny valves and 32 mm TB's the CB has...

I applaud your effort but at some point reality sets in...
 
I lost nothing through the rev range on all my modifications.

My bike puts down 25% more hp than stock- with ZERO sacrifice, all gain. Looks great, drives great, sounds great.

This isn’t my first bike or my first car- not my first rodeo.

You said yourself - your bike was strong from 6k. My bike is strong off idle. Huge difference.

My bike amazes the local bike shop / dyno owner- and he has been doing this for many decades. I have to remind / argue w/ him to start the pulls as low as he has- and on MY dyno I will pull from even lower.

He isn’t used to bikes that don’t care about 2k. My bike LAUGHS at 2k.

Does this bike need more CR?

Sure.

I’m not there yet.

Does CR make as much difference as you think? No.

On my bike- air cooled so nothing crazy is possible like 12-13-14.1- at best I could expect a couple hp at the wheel- for a LOT of work, and a LOT of money. Yea- 2-3whp maybe.

Same with valves- are they small? Sure.

Is there room in the head for more? Not really.


SO- next up the choke chain- our TB are 32mm BUT choked at the factory to 27mm.

I already showed on the dyno that boring turn out with a dremel gained power and matched what the fancy expensive TSR aluminum ones did. In fact- mine supported 103whp… and again nobody - I’ll repeat NOBODY- besides me has made 100whp on this bike.

I then went on to put in custom dual height velocity stacks- that open the full 32mm and have more cfm *capability*- picked up 1 whp

So- like any all motor engine- chase the cork- at this point we have a VERY small primary air box fed by a secondary air box where the filter lies… and that is more likely the next choke point for power.


But hey - feel free to disagree, do better.

Or- buy something else.

There are plenty of more powerful bikes.

Some even pretend to sorta look old.


I’ll stay with true to old school- and in fact have done everything I can to make the bike look as old as possible.

If I want ‘more’- enough to buy another bike- I won’t buy lipstick on a pig. I go ahead and buy modern for modern sake.

Oh wait- I have that too.


My 2022 Aprillia 660 Tuono Factory weighs less than 400lb wet and makes 100hp crank stock.

But it doesn’t START to wake up until 6k. Meh.


I’ll play with it later.. and let you know the results. I keep an eye on the aftermarket and tuners for that bike as well.. and let’s say.: I have some ideas.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
No doubt you have the strongest 1140cc Honda CB1100 on the planet….only problem is my 948cc Z900RS will run circles around it in STOCK trim….and if ridden correctly it won’t need a downshift to do it as it makes max power at only 8500rpm. Not everyone rides around at 2k rpm…

My air cooled 1170cc BMW R9T was rated 110 hp at 7800rpm…not all bikes need to be wrung out to move, heck my 1100 Monster was 100hp at 8000rpm and would pull your arms out of your sockets at 4000

Back to your cam numbers, you picked up 3 hp by doing a cam swap…at what cost I ask?

At what point does reality set in?
 
I'll reply the exact same response to you that I did in your PM that you said 'you old guys crack me up"-


There's nothing to laugh about. I'm not old- unless you are a child. I'm not even 50 yet... but I've been building engines in bikes and cars for almost 40 years.

You don't even know the difference between rated at the crank and wheel.

Derp.

My 104 wheel is a LOT more powerful than a BMW 109 mag listed bike.

I'm guessing you are young...and KNOWING you have a lot to learn.

Your bike isn't as powerful as you think it is... and yea- you will need to downshift to outrun me.
Edit- and to anyone wondering why I posted that- the kid PM'd me and said-

"Carry on, I’m enjoying the banter and you don’t need to PM me, let’s keep it public as I’m sure others will enjoy the humor "
1985CB450_imp said:
No doubt you have the strongest 1140cc Honda CB1100 on the planet….only problem is my 948cc Z900RS will run circles around it in STOCK trim….and if ridden correctly it won’t need a downshift to do it as it makes max power at only 8500rpm. Not everyone rides around at 2k rpm…

My air cooled 1170cc BMW R9T was rated 110 hp at 7800rpm…not all bikes need to be wrung out to move, heck my 1100 Monster was 100hp at 8000rpm and would pull your arms out of your sockets at 4000

Back to your cam numbers, you picked up 3 hp by doing a cam swap…at what cost I ask?

At what point does reality set in?


Right now apparently-


685a5cd76223c4666090bf5fb12d3240.jpg




Compared to-

7678e3321376080869cb09924f9701e6.jpg

Going to bed... but laughing as I do so... my bike matches his PEAK tq when I am at 3k and doesn't drop below that until 8400... and he is talking trash to me in PM.

And your bike (stock) is above 90whp - if I am generous- for 1500 RPM.

My bike is above 90whp for 2600 RPM and above 100whp for pretty much 2,000 RPM.


"Not everyone rides around at 2k rpm…" What if... you can do both?



...and- got your pink slip? I do- and will line up- just like 'the old guys' used to do.

In fact, I was at the drag strip last weekend. It's 20 minutes from my house and I've been going there for decades. Let's party.
 
Thread starter
m in sc_imp said:
be warned the power commander 6 is a lot more difficult to deal with than the 5, ask how i know. would highly recommend a 5 of you can find one.
That seems to be the common consensus so I will likely go that way.
PowerDubs_imp said:
I'll reply the exact same response to you that I did in your PM that you said 'you old guys crack me up"-


There's nothing to laugh about. I'm not old- unless you are a child. I'm not even 50 yet... but I've been building engines in bikes and cars for almost 40 years.

You don't even know the difference between rated at the crank and wheel.

Derp.

My 104 wheel is a LOT more powerful than a BMW 109 mag listed bike.

I'm guessing you are young...and KNOWING you have a lot to learn.

Your bike isn't as powerful as you think it is... and yea- you will need to downshift to outrun me.
Edit- and to anyone wondering why I posted that- the kid PM'd me and said-

"Carry on, I’m enjoying the banter and you don’t need to PM me, let’s keep it public as I’m sure others will enjoy the humor "
1985CB450_imp said:
No doubt you have the strongest 1140cc Honda CB1100 on the planet….only problem is my 948cc Z900RS will run circles around it in STOCK trim….and if ridden correctly it won’t need a downshift to do it as it makes max power at only 8500rpm. Not everyone rides around at 2k rpm…

My air cooled 1170cc BMW R9T was rated 110 hp at 7800rpm…not all bikes need to be wrung out to move, heck my 1100 Monster was 100hp at 8000rpm and would pull your arms out of your sockets at 4000

Back to your cam numbers, you picked up 3 hp by doing a cam swap…at what cost I ask?

At what point does reality set in?


Right now apparently-


685a5cd76223c4666090bf5fb12d3240.jpg




Compared to-

7678e3321376080869cb09924f9701e6.jpg

Going to bed... but laughing as I do so... my bike matches his PEAK tq when I am at 3k and doesn't drop below that until 8400... and he is talking trash to me in PM.

And your bike (stock) is above 90whp - if I am generous- for 1500 RPM.

My bike is above 90whp for 2600 RPM and above 100whp for pretty much 2,000 RPM.


"Not everyone rides around at 2k rpm…" What if... you can do both?



...and- got your pink slip? I do- and will line up- just like 'the old guys' used to do.

In fact, I was at the drag strip last weekend. It's 20 minutes from my house and I've been going there for decades. Let's party.


Right now apparently-


8728cf0551071f7cfffa2327b62d122b.jpg




Compared to-

3fa6b10c4518d8a285fa561c3fb8bb59.jpg

Going to bed... but laughing as I do so... my bike matches his PEAK tq when I am at 3k and doesn't drop below that until 8400... and he is talking trash to me in PM.

And your bike (stock) is above 90whp - if I am generous- for 1500 RPM.

My bike is above 90whp for 2600 RPM and above 100whp for pretty much 2,000 RPM.


"Not everyone rides around at 2k rpm…" What if... you can do both?



...and- got your pink slip? I do- and will line up- just like 'the old guys' used to do.

In fact, I was at the drag strip last weekend. It's 20 minutes from my house and I've been going there for decades. Let's party.
This isn't quite what I expected to wake up today but im with you powerdubs. Some people are just jealous for one reason or another. Its no secret that the cb1100 isnt the best bang for buck platform for making power, thats no secret. Short of forced induction there isn't much the average person can do. Truth be told, Im sure these bike could be turbocharged as a tubro system tends to be the most versatile form of forced induction. I would vastly prefer a supercharger for it however, I know they make a kit for the cb1000 which increases power by about 80 HP which is impressive, sadly though it wouldn't be compatable with the 1100. Im sure someone with enough knowledge and machining experience could make such a system. and id gladly pay for it, but I dont have the knowledge, connections, or skill to come close lol.
 
Dude, why do you keep sending me PM’s?

You do crack me up as you gained all of 3 hp doing a cam swap and then want to brag about it. Who has something to learn?

You stuck a 220 degree duration @.050 in a 9.5-1 motor and are then surprised that you only made 3 hp? I could have saved you the trouble…

No I’m not a kid, been flying jets for 25+ yrs and have done a little hot rodding as evidenced by my pictures. I’ve got a 69 vette and 3 bikes in the garage, not bragging but just wanted to show that I’m not a novice either.

Anyway carry on, I’m sure you can squeeze another 2-3 hp out of your build…
 
Thread starter
1985CB450_imp said:
Dude, why do you keep sending me PM’s?

You do crack me up as you gained all of 3 hp doing a cam swap and then want to brag about it. Who has something to learn?

You stuck a 220 degree duration @.050 in a 9.5-1 motor and are then surprised that you only made 3 hp? I could have saved you the trouble…

No I’m not a kid, been flying jets for 25+ yrs and have done a little hot rodding as evidenced by my pictures. I’ve got a 69 vette and 3 bikes in the garage, not bragging but just wanted to show that I’m not a novice either.

Anyway carry on, I’m sure you can squeeze another 2-3 hp out of your build…
ive never seen someone so **** and jealous before lol. youre forgetting this man is making his own camshafts, that's defiantly something to brag about. if you have something to add to the convrosation then go ahead, if youre just going to be **** then move on before you dig the hole deeper lol.
 
Motomike7_imp said:
1985CB450_imp said:
Dude, why do you keep sending me PM’s?

You do crack me up as you gained all of 3 hp doing a cam swap and then want to brag about it. Who has something to learn?

You stuck a 220 degree duration @.050 in a 9.5-1 motor and are then surprised that you only made 3 hp? I could have saved you the trouble…

No I’m not a kid, been flying jets for 25+ yrs and have done a little hot rodding as evidenced by my pictures. I’ve got a 69 vette and 3 bikes in the garage, not bragging but just wanted to show that I’m not a novice either.

Anyway carry on, I’m sure you can squeeze another 2-3 hp out of your build…
ive never seen someone so **** and jealous before lol. youre forgetting this man is making his own camshafts, that's defiantly something to brag about. if you have something to add to the convrosation then go ahead, if youre just going to be **** then move on before you dig the hole deeper lol.
ive never seen someone so **** and jealous before lol. youre forgetting this man is making his own camshafts, that's defiantly something to brag about. if you have something to add to the convrosation then go ahead, if youre just going to be **** then move on before you dig the hole deeper lol.
I don’t know what hole you are taking about. He made all of 3 hp with his “custom” cam grind….I’m sure there are many lining up to spend their hard earned money on such a outstanding performance gain…why don’t you put your money where your mouth is and order a set of cams from him
 
Back
Top