Passenger Comfort?

dave

Road warrior
Thread starter
Can anyone comment on the passenger comfort of their CB1100? I've put 93,000+ miles on my 1998 VFR800 and it is perfectly comfortable for me, including 500+ miles/day trips, but my wife refuses to do anything more that a weekend ride in the range of 150 - 250 miles. I have to fly her up to Monterey for the Moto-Gp at Laguna Seca (from San Diego) but to be honest, I really enjoy making the trip up the coast myself. I told her the new, 2014 CB1100 I ordered would be more comfortable for her than the VFR, but to be honest, I don't really know. I plan to purchase a luggage rack with a small backrest for her if I can find a nice one we like. Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks.
 
Dave, my wife travels with me only infrequently and says she finds the seat pretty hard after a bit. The truth is she also gets bored sitting still for very long and there's not a lot of scope to move about on a bike. I've moved the AirHawk seat back for her and she finds that more comfortable. I also have a Givi topbox with backrest and she's happier on the back since it went on. I understand that. I was always worried as a pillion that I'd go off the back.
 
Thread starter
Cormanus_imp said:
Dave, my wife travels with me only infrequently and says she finds the seat pretty hard after a bit. The truth is she also gets bored sitting still for very long and there's not a lot of scope to move about on a bike. I've moved the AirHawk seat back for her and she finds that more comfortable. I also have a Givi topbox with backrest and she's happier on the back since it went on. I understand that. I was always worried as a pillion that I'd go off the back.
Thank you Cormanus.
 
I'd build on what Cormanus says and suggest getting the rectangular air hawk that fits the CB pillion nicely. Your both lucky men - my wife will not countenance even the thought of being on the pillion. This is despite having had twenty years of me and motorcycles. The first, and only time, I really pushed she came up with some feeble excuse about not wanting to leave our child an orphan. Beats me :)

Cheers
 
K&H seat plus Jardine mini backrest equals happy passenger. I'm geting a set of Ohlins shocks tomorrow which should improve the ride over our favorite bumpy back roads.

IMHO the stock CB is fine for a 100 miles. Beyond that my wife wanted off due to the seat.
 
My wife is spoiled by my ST with it's wide comfortable seat, Goldwing floorboards which I adapted for her and trunk with backrest to lean against. She took one ride on the back of the CB and relinquished sole ownership and ridership to me.
 
Going on my wifes comments she's had enough after 25mls, it's a shame really because I find the stock suspension really good, let down by the stock seat but at least it's an easy fix.
 
Tyke57nz_imp said:
Thankfully my wife refuses to go pillion, something to do with hair and helmets I believe:banana:
Same here... Years ago my wife (girlfriend then), spent countless miles and hours on the back of my H1. Of course... I didn't own a car then and she had no choice. Today... as you said, helmets, hair, and the fact that we now have a few cars to choose from... she'd rather go that route. I like riding solo anyway... so that's fine.
 
ride4now_imp said:
Tyke57nz_imp said:
Thankfully my wife refuses to go pillion, something to do with hair and helmets I believe:banana:
Same here... Years ago my wife (girlfriend then), spent countless miles and hours on the back of my H1. Of course... I didn't own a car then and she had no choice. Today... as you said, helmets, hair, and the fact that we now have a few cars to choose from... she'd rather go that route. I like riding solo anyway... so that's fine.
Same here... Years ago my wife (girlfriend then), spent countless miles and hours on the back of my H1. Of course... I didn't own a car then and she had no choice. Today... as you said, helmets, hair, and the fact that we now have a few cars to choose from... she'd rather go that route. I like riding solo anyway... so that's fine.
Max for my wife is about 100 to 125 miles, per day and that is with about 4 stops. Actually, put the shoe on the other foot. Who the heck wants to sit on the back for hours.
 
I feel kinda lucky in that my wife has been a rider for 35 years. I even rode pillion on her KZ650 years ago. I'll never forget the looks we used to get then.
 
Back
Top