Partially Deluxifying the '13

shdwghst457_imp

Been there
Thread starter
Well, I love my '13 dearly, but there's one aspect of it that I've never liked, and it's held on by a bolt and a few rubber bits.

I'm of course referring to those MASSIVE silver side covers! Mr. T will be getting my payment for some 2014 DLX side covers (in Slightly Different Red) as soon as he replies to my latest email and sends me the invoice! Very excited to follow through on this one.

Ordered some RLETs late last night to commemorate the event!

I'll be taking some before and after pics since by now no one here remembers what a bone-stock 2013 looks like!
 
That was a false alarm. A forum member sucessfully installed the 2014 side cover on his 2013. I was tempted to do the same but ordered a 2013 with the stripes.
 
yea apparently the guy that tried mounting them the first time wasn't very mechanically inclined lol
 
CB4ME_imp said:
That was a false alarm. A forum member sucessfully installed the 2014 side cover on his 2013. I was tempted to do the same but ordered a 2013 with the stripes.
Same here. I was going to go with the DLX covers but the color change scared me off (turns out not to be much of an issue). I'm pretty happy with the striped covers from Force Design.

Hey CB4ME, did you go with the upper or lower stripes?
 
Thread starter
Here's a poorly made projection of what it might look like:

e797ada2ab37e9c5d79215cd1c1c8948.jpg


0a4883f80b880c2bfb608ced1cf8c596.png
 
For the life of me I can't figure out why Honda didn't go with color matched side covers :huh:
 
Papa Weeley_imp said:
CB4ME - could you toss up a link to a pic of what you've got on the bike now?
Only thing recently added are SW Motech crash bars seen here (barely).

d4fc4a4a934110894014ac07b46baee1.jpg


But I just ordered a decent helment:

9e374c7ff9a65793eb01a51bdb956818.jpg
 
CB4ME_imp said:
Flynrider_imp said:
CB4ME_imp said:
That was a false alarm. A forum member sucessfully installed the 2014 side cover on his 2013. I was tempted to do the same but ordered a 2013 with the stripes.
Same here. I was going to go with the DLX covers but the color change scared me off (turns out not to be much of an issue). I'm pretty happy with the striped covers from Force Design.

Hey CB4ME, did you go with the upper or lower stripes?
Flynrider - I ended up going with the lower stripes. Should arrive in about a week. Did you post pictures of yours?

I have matching red fenders, air cleaner cover, fairing, etc and didn't want the slightly darker 2014 side covers.
Just this pic I took after I put 'em on.

20ad20287eef701168b336f74f929171.jpg


Here's a close up I just snapped with a marginal phone camera.

60b8243aba73cf94179d7781773eb8b0.jpg


I got the gold emblems separately from Takashi.
 
I got a set of red side covers for the 13. They came from samurider with chrome emblems. I just bought them from a member I put them up next to my 14 deluxe and they seem smaller in size! I have not tried to put them on my 14 because I did not buy them for it. But I might just try to see if they will fit.
Flynrider are your covers for a 13 or 14. ?
 
The DLX side covers look like the Standard side covers, but with some additional plastic that sticks out and extends towards the front of the bike, covering up part of the frame. Also on the DLX side covers, the bottom part appears to be blacked out. It's hard to imagine that the mounting points would be different.
 
Ok got ya. I see what your saying now. The frame of bike should be the same.
Flynrider are 13 covers not extending forward to cover up frame. That's how my samurider covers look but have chrome emblems and not gold like flynrider
 
CB4ME_imp said:
Papa Weeley_imp said:
CB4ME - could you toss up a link to a pic of what you've got on the bike now?
Only thing recently added are SW Motech crash bars seen here (barely).

82487198f335e6bdd5027a9529ecf291.jpg


But I just ordered a decent helment:

5abd780bed3b89ca81f6298ede1b2238.jpg
Only thing recently added are SW Motech crash bars seen here (barely).

fe6421ff46a3e2323bfaf9bcc68d1025.jpg

Thank you, sir!
Nice. I was wondering what that red, painted "shorty" rear fender would look like on the bike. Very sporty.
 
Ridem32_imp said:
Ok got ya. I see what your saying now. The frame of bike should be the same.
Flynrider are 13 covers not extending forward to cover up frame. That's how my samurider covers look but have chrome emblems and not gold like flynrider
The covers on my bike are '13 covers. The '13 covers are the same shape as the covers on the '14 Standard. The covers for the '14 Deluxe are noticeably different. As Guth pointed out, the upper forward part of the cover sits over the frame and the bottom is blacked out.

The covers I have are from Force Design (one of Takashi's suppliers). They make them out of a much stronger fiberglass material and paint them as requested. I ordered mine without emblems from Force Design. Instead, I got some stock Honda gold emblems separately from Takashi.

Edit : Here's a closeup of the '14 Deluxe cover where you can see it covering the forward frame tube.

4929c527b80f043f05eaa16fb2f029a7.jpg
 
Thread starter
Well, my side covers are here! As they have been since the 24th, two days after ordering them! Post office didn't leave them; I had to go pick up the package during their regular business hours of 11am to noon, Mondays and Thursday (exaggeration). And they of course were closed Monday. Got my RLETs on too, but after I took the pics.

4d9f80d2f05027932929a546c9058812.jpg


848b6de2a3f7268c14c9b17abccbb49b.jpg


e3dca0e013c46cee3776647c864dd2db.jpg


0b19b8ad7d0fe074f768d24762a266d4.jpg


I'm happy to report that I can't tell the difference in Old Red and New Red, too.
 
Back
Top