Paint over spray all over bike!!

dsan1964_imp

Been there
Thread starter
I rode to work for a meeting.... and the automatic gate installer was welding, and spray painting... got all over the CB.... Im going to get it detailed on there dime... sucks.
70e44801c196f4b72056c00af3502005.jpg
043f5683deb7284f3e81147d73b92819.jpg
46c5ee269eb1d7e3ce4c9d89371bbd6b.jpg
a0daedd1d4fac56c70da91adfbd25ab3.jpg



Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Crap, that's bad! That happened to me on a Men's Fall Trip to the U.P. on my ST years ago. Could not get it off to save my soul. It's still there. Hope you have better luck. Keep us informed.
 
Situations like this impress upon me the importance of having a good layer of wax on your bike at all times...makes removal of overspray or other contaminants much easier. Hopefully it just takes some light rubbing compound or maybe just a clay bar to fix your bike up.

...takes me back to 1980 when a friend bought a brand new black Trans Am with the screaming chicken on the hood. The first day he brought it to work, they changed out the dirty filters in the wet spray booth, but forgot to put in new filters, and, of course, this was the day they were using white paint.

His car was closest to the paint booth vents and required a complete new paint job and new "screaming chicken" graphics...:@
That was expensive for the company to cover back in 1980 dollars...would be a small fortune today.
 
I had a similar situation. My Moto Guzzi Griso 8vSE (in lovely Tenni Green) was parked in the garage when I had the house restained. Some of the spray made it through the hinged parts of the garage door, and got on the bike. Tiny dots were all over it.

I contacted Holt's BMW in Athens Ohio, known especially for their paint work. Mr Holt put me onto a mild solvent they use between paint coats to remove any grrease from finger prints, etc. It removed the spots and didn't harm the paint.

Bob
 
Use an automotive auto adhesive and surface prep product called SEM-Solv. It is a fairly neutral but effective overspray and body molding adhesive solvent commonly used in preparation for autobody painting. Available in aerosol and quart cans with applicator tip.

Most automotive shops and parts retailers can get it. You can also use acetone, buy a quart can and use a clean piece of t-shirt to apply it, but don't leave it on long. Do this at your own risk!

Avoid ABS, Polycarbonate, or Lexan surfaces like your windshield, instrument lenses, and other plastics. Any cloudiness or dulling of your painted surfaces afterward can be easily polished out with a good non abrasive carnuba car wax.
 
Thread starter
Thank you. It will be professionally worked on this Tuesday. I will pass this on to them. Little concerned with what the outcome will be. I will let you all know.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
Well it's way better and I think I can live with it ... I will take some pictures.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
That's a relief. Bugger of a thing to have happened just the same.
 
Looks good to me! Except for the green splotches they left :P[/u]
 
Popgun! You weren't supposed to say!
 
Did they get all the overspray off? Someone must have been painting near our house, because I had yellow droplets on the bike and our Corolla. Clay bar goes a long way to removing them, I used a medium grade clay block. Left some minor marring but easily polished out. I keep a good coat of sealant topped with wax on my bike so it wasn't too hard at all.
 
Thread starter
ryanschillinger_imp said:
Did they get all the overspray off? Someone must have been painting near our house, because I had yellow droplets on the bike and our Corolla. Clay bar goes a long way to removing them, I used a medium grade clay block. Left some minor marring but easily polished out. I keep a good coat of sealant topped with wax on my bike so it wasn't too hard at all.

I would say 95% of the overspray is off . They really got the whole bike over all really clean and got out a lot of scratches. It was a okay trade off. I would rather be leaning then cleaning!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
When I was in high school (the dark ages) painters working on the school got overspray on about 50 students' cars. Of course, back then, when we complained, we were told to pound sand. (That's for Cormanus!)
 
:rofl: Thanks postoak.
 
Hey Postoak, you know, there is a LOT of sand in Australia...
 
Back
Top