Pain in the...

Bheezy27403_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
I have a 13 standard bought new in 9/15 with a little over 5k on it. I have given the stock seat time to "break in" but I do not believe we are ever going to get along.

I have seen the replacements on the couple aftermarket websites and, as per usual, they are very proud of them. I have been looking for used ones but they rarely come up.

During one of my searches the other day I came across several unbelievably low priced options on fleabay from China. I'm talking $45-$80 range. Now, I have always been one to say that if something sounds too good to be true it probably is so I'm quite skeptical.

Anyone have any feedback on said seats?

I'd post a link but I'm a luddite and typing this is hard enough. :thumbsup:
 
I got lucky and bought mine with a Corbin already on there, but I understand your reluctance to spend that much. Several folks have had their seats rebuilt by upholsterers and had good results. Basically, they just add or replace the stock foam with something firmer. It might be worth pursuing. On the other hand, several seats have come up on this forum. Just watch the classifies every day because they go fast.
Good luck!
 
Thread starter
Thanks for the reply. I have a Corbin Smuggler on my Bonneville and love it...it also cost $800ish. Not going that route again. I'll just keep looking. Who knows, maybe someone will chime in saying these cheapies are decent (not holding breath).
 
Thread starter
Dems da ones. It came up under 13 CB1100 search. Thought maybe with slight modification they would work. Oh well. The search for a seat that doesn't burn me after 100 miles continues....
 
I put the Daytona Cafe seat on mine and loved it instantly. $320.00 delivered to the front door in like 3 days. Was worth every penny. But thats just my opinion.
 
Tried a pad yet?

Corbin is quite pricey and not for everyone. Russel day long is an excellent choice also, more plush and comfortable.

Check with trim shops on re-working the foam.
 
Look at Greatdaytoride.com they are located in Florida. They have a LD (long distance) mod they do to seats. He can just replace foam as is or replace and reshape if necessary. Very good reputation on many forums. He did my ST seats (front and rear). On my seat he lowered it an inch and put n the LD foam. On my wife he just put ion the LD foam. We have done many thousands of miles on the seats and are both pleased. I did 11 five hundred mile days in a row on mine a couple of years ago when I rode from Ohio to Cali and back in a week and a half.

GreatDayToRide.com has the largest selection of motorcycle equipment and parts including Accessories, Helmets, motorcycle Gear, Air and Fuel, 4-Wheel, Gloves, motorcycle Exhaust Pipes, Tops, Brakes, motorcycle Handlebars, motorcycle Seats, Footwear, Pants, motorcycle Windshields, Cables, motorcycle Wheels
 
Uncomfortable seats is a common complaint on modern Hondas. The nose of the seat has been shaved to provide a lower seat height for the vertically challenged. That tends to push riders forward, making it very uncomfortable for male riders.

On the CB500X Forum there is a thread that started discussing Airhawk cushions. They are very expensive for a simple air cushion. Some people liked them, some not.

The thread ended with a recommendation for the Coleman MadDog Comfort Ride Seat Protector.

A very inexpensive foam cushion, $16.61 on Amazon with free shipping, that fit the CB500X well. Many riders were pleased with them. Although some mentioned there was a short break-in period.

Not the prettiest seat cover, but for $16.61 it's worth a try. I bought one for my CB500X, but until the snow goes I will not get a chance to try it while riding. I was pleasantly surprized how well it fit and it did not look out of place.
 
I'd strongly recommend finding a local seat guy. Good ones do a very good job, and being local, they will make sure it fits YOU before they cover it.

Russell Day Longs are VERY good. But they look like hell. I have one on the Griso and with my finicky bum a 700 mile day is no problem. Stock seat hurts at 20 minutes. Stock CB seat is good for an hour or so.
 
You could consider doing the work yourself. There are gel pads that can be placed into the seat after carving out the matching area in the seat and then putting the cover back in.

Many how to videos in YouTube and the web


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
A pad is a no go. I'll deal with an aching tush before I put one of those hideous things on. And I have.

The Daytona seat looks good to me and I may go that route but the CB is more of my touring bike as my Bonnie is quite cafe'd. I'd rather keep the CB seat flat to hold my tail bag.

What did you end up spending to get your seat reworked Ferret (if you don't mind me asking)? Or any other seat reworking stories/prices will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks much for the quick replies and info gentlemen.
 
I will say an airhawk is great and it can go bike to bike
it just needs a little air almost flat to work and it awesome
 
+1 on the Airhawk!
 
Bheezy27403_imp said:
A pad is a no go. I'll deal with an aching tush before I put one of those hideous things on. And I have.

The Daytona seat looks good to me and I may go that route but the CB is more of my touring bike as my Bonnie is quite cafe'd. I'd rather keep the CB seat flat to hold my tail bag.

What did you end up spending to get your seat reworked Ferret (if you don't mind me asking)? Or any other seat reworking stories/prices will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks much for the quick replies and info gentlemen.
I think it was about $100 if memory serves me
 
I've tried the airhawk with mixed results....sometimes I think it's helping other times not....did try different air levels...almost flat is best.

The best solution I've found is periodically standing up while riding....not easily done on cruisers with forward pegs but works well on ours. Any thing below 50 mph seems OK, so Interstates are out.

I've wondered if there is anything illegal about it.

It makes you a bigger target for bugs :-)

On the Spencers seat web site I did find these...might try one....https://alaskaleather.com/collections/sheepskin-buttpads
Not sure which one would fit the best.

Also I've seen "beaded" seat covers....has anyone experienced those?
 
Thread starter
Thanks guys.

I do the standup thing and it works but just for a short while. As far as being illegal? Dunno. I went by a sheriff the other day standing on the pegs and he didn't turn around so...

I suppose $100ish isn't too bad to try out reworking the seat. May try that.
 
Just got a quote from great day to ride for 75 plus shipping I think.
Thankfully just like before I start experimenting on my muffler and bought a used one to experiment on.... I also bought a used seat so I can use that to experiment on should be done in time for the rally!
Probably a month before I get it done but I'll report back.
As always thanks for the good tip ferret!
 
Thread starter
Thanks offroad. For that $ even if it doesn't work so well I'm not out anything.

BTW, what kind of experimenting did you do to the pipe? Hole drilling?

It's my thread and I'll drift if I want to! :thumbsup:
 
I think this link will work, my final revision is on page 8, if the link doesn't work just search 'gut factory muffler'
Gut Factory Muffler

I'm totally happy with it, like it more every time I ride it!
 
Back
Top