Oregon Coast Points

When I was a kid the sea lion caves was a place to stop to see them. Fast foward 45 years and I can see them in the Willamette river downtown Portland stealing salmon from the fishermen. That certainly is a beautiful section of 101
 
Not just a great bike, but a truly beautiful place to ride.

One day ...
 
Jonz, amazing pics! Some day I'll ride the west coast.
Also, what are those tank pads you have for your knees? I should like to have some.
 
Thread starter
Thanks for looking! Dharma the knee pads are something I made, rubber flooring and 3m outdoor double stick tape.They still look good 1-1/2 years latter. We had a great trip.Yeah that tank bag was expanded all the way. It really wasn't much of a factor even in the 20mph winds (with 30mph gusts) that persisted for a few afternoons. Thats where we kept our cameras, binoculars, I-pad, snacks, water bottle, and Lesli's trumpet. We stayed in Astoria, Yachats (4 nites), Port Orford (3 nites), Gold Beach (2 nites), Brookings, and Portland. Not exactly in the order listed. Having travelled that stretch of 101 and always saying next time I want to see more , we finally did! Sea stacks, capes, points, beaches, old growth Sitka Spruce, and clean air. We saw Gray whales (once from our hotel room window), Osprey, and hundreds of Harleys and BMW. The rivers that flow to the coast aside from being beautiful have fun roads along side. If anyone gets to Gold Beach ride up the Rouge River 35 miles to Agness and grab a bite to eat! I was told that from Agness to Grants Pass (on I-5) it's 1 lane paved, next time! More photos soon.
Jon Z
 
Hope to get to the sea lion caves tomorrow and stay in Florence. First hitting the Jedediah Smith Redwood forest then up the coast to the sea lion caves.
 
gossman_imp said:
When I was a kid the sea lion caves was a place to stop to see them. Fast foward 45 years and I can see them in the Willamette river downtown Portland stealing salmon from the fishermen. That certainly is a beautiful section of 101
Sea lions on the Willamette? Been there, done that. :D

732d98e8cbb41cbc379e700c329e8252.jpg


(hard to tell in the picture, but those sea lions were bigger than my kayak).
 
Flynrider_imp said:
gossman_imp said:
When I was a kid the sea lion caves was a place to stop to see them. Fast foward 45 years and I can see them in the Willamette river downtown Portland stealing salmon from the fishermen. That certainly is a beautiful section of 101
Sea lions on the Willamette? Been there, done that. :D

732d98e8cbb41cbc379e700c329e8252.jpg


(hard to tell in the picture, but those sea lions were bigger than my kayak).
Sea lions on the Willamette? Been there, done that. :D

2ce593e784e50ba5825989510f310f23.jpg


(hard to tell in the picture, but those sea lions were bigger than my kayak).
Caught plenty of spring chinook salmon in that area. There are no "endangered" sea lions anymore here in Oregon.
 
Very beautiful! I'm heading to Oregon for a week with my kids next week. What can you recommend around the Tillamook area? Sadly I will be without the CB but on a fun family vacation (great also but different).
 
Thread starter
Dr_Rock I've stayed in Netarts many times. The 3 Capes loop that leaves from Tillamook takes you there. You can walk on the beach to Oceanside. My favorite walk is out Cape Lookout. I also like the walks on the spit just north of Cape Meres. I've alway meant to get to the air museum just south of Tillamook. I think they built dirigibles in that building in WWII. And of course there's the ice cream. Hope that helps. Jon Z
 
Beautiful area! I'm heading to Cannon Beach in a couple of days with the family for vacation. We love it there! It's our home away from home.
 
dr_rock_imp said:
Very beautiful! I'm heading to Oregon for a week with my kids next week. What can you recommend around the Tillamook area? Sadly I will be without the CB but on a fun family vacation (great also but different).
Tillamook had a cool air museum, but most of the collection (all of the WWII aircraft) was moved to another museum last year. They're still open, but I don't know if I'd bother paying $9 to see what they have left. According to their website there are about 20 planes left.

Other than that, there is the Tillamook cheese factory. It's a self guided tour where you get to see how the cheese is made. It was pretty interesting, but kind of crowded. Apparently, cheese factories are a popular vacation destination. The highlight for me was lunch in their restaurant featuring (naturally) giant grilled cheese sandwiches!

If you're in the Portland area, I'd highly recommend a visit to the Western Antique Aeroplane & Automobile Museum in Hood River. They've got about 80 planes and 130 cars dating back to the early 1900s (all operational). They also have a few dozen antique motorcycles. If you like old things that go, this is the museum for you. Hood River is about 60 miles east of Portland.
 
I love the old downtown historical museum. It's musty, lots of steps,and plenty to see yet I still enjoy looking at everything. A hike on the Cape Mears spit is a good hike, cheese factory makes a great stop, I like the cheese curds. Walk around the docks and see what the ocean fishermen are catching and cleaning. I'll be spending plenty of time in Tillamook this fall. Salmon fishing will be going great guns. If you take hwy 8 back to the Portland area, the forestry center is good. Hwy 26 to Portland will give one the opportunity to stop for a meal at Camp 18. Massive log building and a interesting place to walk around and look at the logging museum.

Cannon Beach is a good place for those who feel the need to shop, was just there with the Contessa last week.
 
i'm sitting in a hotel in Portland right now. Traffic was just horrible getting here. horrible. rush hour I guess. Anyhow going to relax and then go get something to eat.
 
Back
Top