Or rather my lack of seat time...

Gone in 60

Road warrior
Thread starter
Ok, getting tired of being tired. Been fighting pneumonia since the week before Christmas. At least lurching around to visit friends and family during the holiday ate up time while the drugs were doing their thing. But, other than moving it out of the way to get in my car, I haven't touched my bike. Yesterday, the weather had been clear for a few days, so the roads had dried up, and I had a few free hours. Decided to go for a ride, but just didn't feel up to it and turned around after a few minutes.
This sucks.
 
Certainly nothing wrong with forfeiting a ride when your body tells you otherwise. That's smart. But look on the bright side -- once you're feeling better, the road will beckon and you'll be back on two wheels. Here, it's sunny but 12 degrees and the roads are icy and snowpacked. I ain't goin' nowhere.
 
Gone in 60, while I’ve never had pneumonia, I know people who have and it takes a goodly time to recover. It can also induce a mild depression. Take it easy, watch or listen to lots of comedy and get well. As LR says, the road will be there when you recover fully.

Best wishes.
 
Thread starter
Thanks, guys. People are asking me how I feel, and the best answer I have is that I feel like a cell phone that is charging very, very slowly. I've been watching the weirdest Christmas specials I can find. My favorite so far is a Finnish film called Rare Exports.

Checked in at the office today, and picked up some parts that have arrived here, so at least I can work on my project to put an LED brake strip on the new luggage rack on my Bonneville. Meanwhile, the battery tenders blink away.
 
Pneumonia is nothing to play down . I had it a few years back,now I have been getting the vaccine shot. At my age can’t take the risk.
 
"Bronchitis" has been the word of the month of November and December pretty well in my region. Takes weeks to shake; elderly much, much longer.
 
Yea I have been fighting "something" they labeled a virus for weeks now. Bad cough, lots of phlegm, NO ENERGY. I try and get into riding clothes and ride about 2:00. Last few days I have been in the recliner watching 2:00 come and go. Finally about 2:30 I force myself to get up and get dressed and I'm out by 3:00. Today it was 39 degrees with a stiff breeze and lightly sprinkling rain. Only rode 43 miles. It was day 290 of the year riding for me. One more day to go in the year.

I got the flu shot one year and it was the sickest year I can remember, but after this year I am considering one for next year.

Hope you feel better soon Gone.
 
Thread starter
That's an interesting point, Ferret. Every year that I've gotten a flu shot, I've gotten sick. My wife, who is a doctor and overly cautious with my "hey, let's touch that dirty thing then not wash our hands" attitude about everything, insists that I get the shot, saying "Think of how much MORE sick you would be if you didn't get the shot."

I'm dubious.
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
That's an interesting point, Ferret. Every year that I've gotten a flu shot, I've gotten sick. My wife, who is a doctor and overly cautious with my "hey, let's touch that dirty thing then not wash our hands" attitude about everything, insists that I get the shot, saying "Think of how much MORE sick you would be if you didn't get the shot."

I'm dubious.
I'm double ditto dubious. I've gotten one flu shot and got sick that year pretty good.
The last 10 years or so...maybe 2x sick but no shots.

RE: "Think of how much MORE sick you would be if you didn't get the shot."
Or maybe I wouldn't have gotten sick at all? When you have the flu, really, how much "more sick" can you get?
 
I’ve had 3 flu shots. With only one did I get sick and I suspect I was incubating the virus at the time I had the shot. The flu, as Gone’s wife can tell us, mutates amazingly fast and so vaccinating against it is really hard. I think I’m right in saying the usual vaccine aims at 4 strains but can’t protect you against others.
 
Pneumonia can be deadly and is nothing to fool around with.
Look after yourself, follow the "rules," keep your body strong and get healthy :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
 
When my wife ( a nurse) reminds me to wash my hands after working outside , I tell her no need for that , I am just building up immunity .
I have not had the flue in the last 50 years.
 
Houtman_imp said:
When my wife ( a nurse) reminds me to wash my hands after working outside , I tell her no need for that , I am just building up immunity .
I have not had the flue in the last 50 years.
^^ + 1
 
Flu shots, as Cormanus alludes to, reduce the risk of getting the flu, but they do not eliminate it. In rare cases, people can get sick from the shot, but only from particular types of vaccine. (Someone with medical background can elaborate on that if desired).

I look at it like an insurance person would: do your best to manage the risk.
 
EmptySea_imp said:
Flu shots, as Cormanus alludes to, reduce the risk of getting the flu, but they do not eliminate it. In rare cases, people can get sick from the shot, but only from particular types of vaccine. (Someone with medical background can elaborate on that if desired).

I look at it like an insurance person would: do your best to manage the risk.
Definitely don't want sick.

peterbaron_imp said:
Houtman_imp said:
When my wife ( a nurse) reminds me to wash my hands after working outside , I tell her no need for that , I am just building up immunity .
I have not had the flue in the last 50 years.
^^ + 1
^^ + 1
(+2)
 
Thread starter
It's an unwinnable argument with my wife. I ask her if people got sick more frequently in the old days, before people were more aware of germ transfer, and before people started carrying hand sanitizer everywhere and washing their hands every five minutes. She says yes, and that more people died from what we'd consider simple ailments. Apparently I have no immune system at all, and if it weren't for her, I would have been six feet under years ago, and we agree that I'll take care of whatever isn't alive, and she'll take care of whatever is.

In any case, spent my non-riding time putting the LED brake strip on my Bonneville's luggage rack. I've had one on the license plate, but since the rack is so high up, I figured it would be more in the line of sight of a following car. I attached it with a quick release plug so that it can disconnect if I decided to remove the rack for a time.

Can you see me now?
 
Kinda Star Wars-ish lol

I apparently have the same immune system and should have been dead long ago lol
 
The ferret_imp said:
Kinda Star Wars-ish lol

I apparently have the same immune system and should have been dead long ago lol
... maybe Cylon-ish too.

If the LEDs could wave left-right-left, you could name 'er "Kit". :)

- - -

Seriously, looks good and safe.
 
Thread starter
Well now, there's an idea! Since I wired the rack to be independent of the bike's main wiring, both LED strips are on different strobe flashers. So, I might be rearended after all by bewildering whomever is behind me.
 
Back
Top