Opinions - Side panel defect?

ecka00_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Anyone have an issue with their side panel cracking? I questioned my son and he swears he didn't touch the bike--but you know how that goes. Any chance the dealer will cover under warranty? And if not, how much to replace?

 
Hard to tell from the picture, but it looks like the bolt was put in too tight and either cracked right out or didn't allow enough room for sun expansion and cracked it that way. If your bike is relatively new and the panel has never been off I could see a "nice" dealer fixing this under warranty.
 
Thread starter
I've never had the side panel off the bike. And I looked carefully, doesn't appear to be any scratches or marks that would indicate it was hit by something.

And any ideas on replacement costs? Do I have to buy the entire set?
 
I think someone on the board total their bike a while back and was parting it out, check the for sale threads. Might want to post it also in the want to buy, a few folks have replaced their side covers with aftermarket options.
 
Thread starter
Thanks for all the responses. Last question--If I go the used route...Will the 2013 panels fit a 2014std? and are they aluminum or plastic like the 2014?
 
2013 are plastic as well and painted silver. They should fit as well.
 
Back
Top