Opinions Invited

Houtman_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
Yestreday I was meeting up with my buddies on the BRP but as I had to pick up supplies for an upcoming party at our home I decided to take my wife's Mini Cooper S on the BRP . What a blast that was , excellent road holding and very comfortable in the very hot weather : it was as good as a bike ride. With me planning to give up riding in the next couple of years and buying my own Mini Country Man I might plan to sell my 2013 earlier than first thought . My question is : as my 2013 ABS has Vin # 00002 would that make the bike more collectable (valuable ?) It has many upgrades and the Moriwaki stainless steel 4 into 4 , Ohlins shock and many other upgrades .
What is your thought about the Vin Number being of some value ?
 
Interesting question, John. I's wonder whether the upgrades may make it less collectible. I'd have thought any value may lie in having a mint condition bike looking like it did when it rolled out as #2 off the assembly line. But it would certainly be worth a try when selling it.
 
I agree with Cormanus, upgrades are in the eye of the beholder.

Imo an 02 vin would only matter to a collector and not to a rider
 
Yup- what they said.

Value as #2 would mean bone stock and low miles.

A rider might like mods, and not care about the miles as much- but also won't care about the VIN or any potential value it adds.

I don't know that I've ever even looked at my VIN.
 
Thread starter
I should have mentioned that I have ALL the OEM parts I took of when I did an upgrade . (including the bleeders when I installed the st. st speed bleeders ) Over the years I learned to ALWAYS keep the original parts.
 
This may just be echoing what others have said, but a lot of times a bike with many expensive and unique mods sells better as a bone stock bike with the valuable parts sold separately. You tend to make more money that way.

Im reminded of a guy on here who had a one of a kind titanium exhaust, Magtan wheels, extremely unique Don Vesco faring, MIZ tail cowl, and other cool things. Had to be over $10000 worth of mods. He simply couldn't sell the bike. Nobody would even bite on it.

He ended up returning the bike to stock and selling it easily. Then selling the MIZ tail to me, his gorgeous Yoshimura titanium exhaust to another guy, and the awesome Don Vesco to yet another guy, ect ect. He made his money that way. It just took longer.
 
Dubs has the right idea, from a collectors perspective; "it's only original once".
And desirability goes up with rarity ( availability ) like wine, right Popgun?
A matching numbers carton box with an early colt python is worth $400 for the box alone....

If you have a closer look at J Leno's garage etc. that would be an overriding part of the deal, another is receipts that would
confirm originality, accessories are worth nothing to a collector unless its factory issued like a seat or something, so it all depends, you still have to find someone who is interested in the originality of the bike which is another level and usually requires time and contacts with the right crowd.
Even a nice example like this is only attractive to a small audience;


Still worth considering though and good thinking John.
 
As for your desire to get your own Mini...let me tell you. This is the mini you want instead of a countryman:
c13adedea2b29ded6923ed68ce99a3d0.jpg
 
Did somebody mention wine?
 
I think a restored bone stock VIN #002 using its original OEM parts (from storage) would garner high value at a time when many of us would be dug up from the ground for study in high school history projects. So what? - maybe by 2063 and later?


"Class, class! Your attention please. Be respectful. Yes, this specimen was a male, last meal was a steak, ... didn't seem to like onions, ... based on the grip pattern on the hands he was a motorcycle rider? ... and what the heck is this? ... a sort of black rubbery round thing? ... two of them! ... "
 
I don't understand the appeal of a low vin number. No. 1, 2, 3...1896...they all ride the same. Every single number is unique...rather by definition. There's only one no. 273 just like there's only one no. 1.

Does the quality of a model decrease as the machines used to make get more and more wear on them?
 
I wonder if #0001 was a test vehicle (to test production line) and was never sold, so #0002 is actually the first one produced in series, sold to the public for that model year.

Just a curiosity...

For me, I preffer higher numbers: if there where some details to be "ironed" in the production line, the higher the number, the higher the chance of any issue being corrected. I wouldn't buy a new car, new model, as soon as it is available on the market: I'd be some kind of "betta tester". I'd rather get a model that is about to be replaced by a newer version.
But in the case of the CB, being a low production anyway, I wouldn't care for the VN. I assume quality control is excelent on this bike.
 
Thread starter
misterprofessionality_imp said:
As for your desire to get your own Mini...let me tell you. This is the mini you want instead of a countryman:
c13adedea2b29ded6923ed68ce99a3d0.jpg
I will get the 2023 Mini Country Man (coming out late 2022 ) as they are more practical for me : taller (easier to get into ) 4 doors , all wheel drive , bigger trunk and still the nearly 200 hp turbo engine .
Thank you guy's for the replies . As the CB 1100 was made since 2010 all the "problems" should be out by 2013 . My 2013 can be made bone stock in about 6 hours . Seat , mirrors, rear shocks , chain guard , clutch /sprocket cover , foot rests and putting the 4 into 1 exhaust back on . For collectors a low number might be nice , for a rider it is no big deal. When I bought the bike from a local Honda dealer the owner was mad with his office for not telling him that is was Vin # 2 but as I already paid for it he could do nothing .
 
jtopiso_imp said:
I wonder if #0001 was a test vehicle (to test production line) and was never sold, so #0002 is actually the first one produced in series, sold to the public for that model year.

Just a curiosity...

For me, I preffer higher numbers: if there where some details to be "ironed" in the production line, the higher the number, the higher the chance of any issue being corrected. I wouldn't buy a new car, new model, as soon as it is available on the market: I'd be some kind of "betta tester". I'd rather get a model that is about to be replaced by a newer version.
But in the case of the CB, being a low production anyway, I wouldn't care for the VN. I assume quality control is excelent on this bike.
There is logic in what you say, but in practice, humans seem to put value in things that don't seem logical. There are numerous world examples.

In terms of the first generation Honda CB750 and the lowest serial numbers, they are heavily sought after.
 
I don't really have an opinion on the VIN number adding a higher value to the bike. I suppose if you come across the right collector then maybe.

As for the Mini, I can only encourage you to get one. I have had pretty much all the various Minis that have existed since they first came out in the late 50's, and that includes all the BMW ones except for the first one they did. Last year I changed my Clubman Cooper S to a Countryman Cooper E (plug-in hybrid) and for the way I use the car it has been just perfect. For the most part I do short distances and remain in full electric mode, and since I have had the car my average fuel consumption has been 87 MPG. If I decide to switch to full sport mode I actually get more power and performance than the Cooper S, which although a lot of fun I rarely do. Great cars!!
 
CB1100 is not a limited edition motorcycle, and as such the Vin number has no value. Second thing we need to take into consideration is that most of the people who own CB1100s are not really collectors, but riders. Perhaps if the bike was bone stock and 2miles only, in 50 years when all the other CBs have 200000+ miles (and are still going lol) maybe it will have a certain museum value. That's just my opinion

'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
 
I don't know about value, but I think it's a pretty cool story and I can vouch for the pristine condition of the bike.
If you decide to sell and we are moving toward moving down at least part time, I will be interested. It would be nice to have a local bike in Asheville.
 
Thread starter
Thank you for the compliment Bob , I would love to sell the bike to you as I know that you have LOTS of money and the bike is in pristine condition !
 
Houtman_imp said:
Thank you for the compliment Bob , I would love to sell the bike to you as I know that you have LOTS of money and the bike is in pristine condition !
I do think your bike would look very nice in my garage. It'll just fit, right there in the front :P
 
Back
Top