Open face helmets

Thread starter
Interesting. Our real-world survey of two helmet pics (3 if dub's helmet looks similar) shows that "taking it on the chin" is a at least a not uncommon thing to happen. And that's where safety data can be misleading. That NIH study that I referred to might not consider the fact that Aussieflyer would look like he was hit in the face with a bag of nickels for the rest of his life without the full-face helmet a "significant" injury.
 
516eff8db328dcf6c24a63b5741ec0bc.jpg
 
I prefer full-face every time. I have an open-face helmet with snap on shield, but it sits on the shelf after trying it just a few times in really hot weather. The thing for me is that it lets in too much wind for my eyes and ears. With full face I'm not distracted by elements. In very hot weather, I'll douse my noggin' with water and that cools me off enough.
 
Tommy, I think police officers have other things to consider - like good peripheral vision, firing a weapon, etc. Their helmets are crap for crash protection, but they look pretty.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Does this graphic of impact zones on helmets help?

7b2ab398c8aa1da2f415ce54a539f305.jpg


This graphic was developed by Professor Dietmar Otte, described as a “prominent accident researcher”. I’ve not looked at all hard for reputable papers on this, but the paper in which I found the picture—which is about graphical representation of data—contains footnote references to Professor Otte’s work.

Yep, seen this before - likely this Forum too.

One just needs to remove the highest statistic region on the helmet to make the number go away. :s
 
Police here west full-face or modular helmets. Very wise too.
 
i caught this fellow while riding back from Albama to California
i stopped for gas and my riding buddy just fell over laughing
08d55ff865e31c926b7a5e47c05c33c2.jpg

full face forever
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
... yummy.

What did you do with it? (never mind, that appears to be over 18 years ago)
about 10 years ago
it is a pain to reset the date
helmet smelled funny for a while :D
 
FWIW I witnessed an accident about 5 years ago in Daytona. Rider without a helmet and did a faceplant. Another time a friend riding with me went down and did a faceplant with a full face helmet. The front of his helmet had deep gouges on it. It was obvious what would have happened to his face and you can imagine what happened to the rider in Daytona. Needless to say I wear a full face helmet every time I ride.
 
Back
Top