Oops Reverse Polarity

GaryRudolph_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Well… I wasn’t thinking using a battery tender alligator clips to hookup a power booster to jumpstart the bike and reversed polarity. Now when the ignition turns on nothing happens with a new battery and checked with multimeter. I checked the diode with multimeter and fuses in the fusebox and all are good. Is there another fuse inline somewhere?
 
GaryRudolph_imp said:
Well… I wasn’t thinking using a battery tender alligator clips to hookup a power booster to jumpstart the bike and reversed polarity. Now when the ignition turns on nothing happens with a new battery and checked with multimeter. I checked the diode with multimeter and fuses in the fusebox and all are good. Is there another fuse inline somewhere?
Are you saying that now, when the key is turned to the ON position, lights and gauges turn on, needles sweep, but starter motor does not turn when button pushed?
There is a fuse in the starter relay module.
 
Like Pekingduck says; a simple check would be to see if the two fuses ( 20A and 30A ) which are inside the starter relay ( with the heavy starter cables from the battery ), just lift the top cover of the relay and see if all is ok.
Here is a simplified diagram i made to help find faults like this quickly, the pink shade indicates all the components which are required be in the correct state in order to start the engine, does the headlight come on?;



Provided the ignition switch was not in the on position you may be lucky with the electronics but at least the green neutral light should work as per normal if all fuses are working since no electronics are involved with it, see the diagram;
Hope this helps.
 
Thread starter
With the ignition on no gauges, headlight, neutral indicator or fuel pump turns on. Unfortunately, I had the waning inductor turned away from me if it did give an indication.

Nothing looks burnt up if I take the relays out.

Where is that 30A fuse?

I’ll probe the light fuse for power.
Thanks it was 30A on the starter solenoid, didn’t know they hid a fuse there. Back and working!
 
Yeah, Gary! Glad you found it. Nice work. Thank you for the follow up. We don’t always get those.
 
GaryRudolph_imp said:
With the ignition on no gauges, headlight, neutral indicator or fuel pump turns on. Unfortunately, I had the waning inductor turned away from me if it did give an indication.

Nothing looks burnt up if I take the relays out.

Where is that 30A fuse?

I’ll probe the light fuse for power.
Thanks it was 30A on the starter solenoid, didn’t know they hid a fuse there. Back and working!
Isn't a 30A fuse a finishing nail or sumthin' like that? :D
 
max_imp said:
Like Pekingduck says; a simple check would be to see if the two fuses ( 20A and 30A ) which are inside the starter relay ( with the heavy starter cables from the battery ), just lift the top cover of the relay and see if all is ok.
Here is a simplified diagram i made to help find faults like this quickly, the pink shade indicates all the components which are required be in the correct state in order to start the engine, does the headlight come on?;



Provided the ignition switch was not in the on position you may be lucky with the electronics but at least the green neutral light should work as per normal if all fuses are working since no electronics are involved with it, see the diagram;
Hope this helps.
Max, this is a great diagram and troubleshooting tool. I downloaded it to my phone, since any failure will be on the road, away from a shop manual. :thumbsup:
 
Thanks for that diagram, Max - a great help and could be a lifesaver. As Pekingduck says, very handy to have in your 'phone too.

Thanks. :thumbsup:
 
Max... For some reason, I cannot ' download' this diagram ?

It may be me, of course, but if there's another way to Post so that it could be more accessible, I'd be most grateful.

Thanks.
 
Thinking back a couple decades and then now, it is kinda incredible that today's modern mobile phones can carry the entire CB1100 shop manual without a sweat. Heck, one might not even carry a copy around, but rather access it remotely from a cloud space while at the side of the road (thinkin', "Dang, I need that tool."). Who saw that coming in 1981?
 
Bazbro_imp said:
Max... For some reason, I cannot ' download' this diagram ?

It may be me, of course, but if there's another way to Post so that it could be more accessible, I'd be most grateful.

Thanks.
You should be able to save it as a photo on your phone, tablet or computer. If not, PM me your email address and I’ll send it to you.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Bazbro_imp said:
Max... For some reason, I cannot ' download' this diagram ?

It may be me, of course, but if there's another way to Post so that it could be more accessible, I'd be most grateful.

Thanks.
You should be able to save it as a photo on your phone, tablet or computer. If not, PM me your email address and I’ll send it to you.
You should be able to save it as a photo on your phone, tablet or computer. If not, PM me your email address and I’ll send it to you.
Very many thanks, Cormanus. I've tried all the "download" options but nothing works (unusually??).
 
Gents it's a .jpg file "cb1100as" it can be saved by right-click and select " save image as " or " email image ".
At least it does jn firefox, but i have no idea how to do this on your phone other than taking a picture of a computer screen, maybe google " saving screenshot " on your brand of phone?
Thanks Cormanus.
 
max_imp said:
Gents it's a .jpg file "cb1100as" it can be saved by right-click and select " save image as " or " email image ".
At least it does jn firefox, but i have no idea how to do this on your phone other than taking a picture of a computer screen, maybe google " saving screenshot " on your brand of phone?
Thanks Cormanus.
Thanks, Max. :thumbsup:
 
Well, my trusty Motorola StarTac phone doesn't have a camera, but I had a couple frames left on the Kodak Brownie, so I took a couple good shots from the computer screen, and drove the Pinto down to the 1-Hour FotoMat near the Sears and Roebuck.

The pictures came out good but I didn't know how to get them on my phone. A friend said he could send them to my phone, and I faxed the pictures to him, but when I flipped open my phone there were only numbers on the screen. I pushed all 12 buttons, slid the antenna up-and-down, still no pictures. Just numbers, like on my pager.

So I laminated the pictures and put one in my fanny pack, and the other in the pocket of my Members-Only jacket, so I'll be covered.

Say, is that Bush fella still in office? Heard he had a son named George too.:D
 
pekingduck_imp said:
Well, my trusty Motorola StarTac phone doesn't have a camera, but I had a couple frames left on the Kodak Brownie, so I took a couple good shots from the computer screen, and drove the Pinto down to the 1-Hour FotoMat near the Sears and Roebuck.

The pictures came out good but I didn't know how to get them on my phone. A friend said he could send them to my phone, and I faxed the pictures to him, but when I flipped open my phone there were only numbers on the screen. I pushed all 12 buttons, slid the antenna up-and-down, still no pictures. Just numbers, like on my pager.

So I laminated the pictures and put one in my fanny pack, and the other in the pocket of my Members-Only jacket, so I'll be covered.

Say, is that Bush fella still in office? Heard he had a son named George too.:D
Carrier pigeon it over to me and I'll get it mimeographed for you and sent back on the Titanic.
 
Back
Top