Only 1st gear slipping

Still.Cruzin_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Hello, for some reason I've notice that it doesn't pick up speed at high rpms in 1st, only in first. What could be causing this issue? I'm considering replacing the whole clutch assembly, but if any answers can be given you'd really save me some change on my pockets.
 
:hello: Howdy and welcome to the forum.

You might be running into the rev limiter. I believe the CB is rev limited in the first 3 gears and speed limited to 112 mph. If it was the clutch i would suspect it would do it in any gear.
 
Welcome Still.Cruzin!!

Does sound like you are hitting the rev limiter.
 
How many miles? Has the clutch fluid been flushed recently ? What year bike? A little info on here may help uncover the issue. The cb is a well oiled machine. Haven’t heard of this issue before on here. Hope you well in your search for answers .
 
Welcome to the Forum Still.Cruzin.

Depending on riding style, the CB1100 has more than enough low-end torque that one shouldn't need to frequent top RPM in first gear.
 
Do a little test, as in any gear rpm and speed are always at a constant ratio. As long as this ratio is fixed or linear your clutch is fine. Example (numbers not representative) :
1000 rpm = 10mph
2000 rpm = 20mph
etc. If you can't jot it down while riding, have sb take pictures of the instrument cluster from the back seat with a cell phone.
Now look, does the ratio change at high rpm ? say, do you read 6000 rpm but only 45 mph instead of the expected 60 mph.
Again my numbers are invented. You have to find the ratio for the 1st gear of your CB1100.
 
Thread starter
obleo_imp said:
How many miles? Has the clutch fluid been flushed recently ? What year bike? A little info on here may help uncover the issue. The cb is a well oiled machine. Haven’t heard of this issue before on here. Hope you well in your search for answers .
2014 standard, clutch fluid hasn't been flushed as I recall(second owner, 2600 miles now reaching 11800) I do ride a tad bit aggressively. I was testing the limits of the bike and in the first months of riding her I had made some missed shifts from 1st to 2nd in high rpms where it would clunk and sometimes force into. Nowadays, It doesn't happen at all anymore, I'm not consciously trying to redline shift 1st into second and completely doesn't happen anymore. I have noticed that once I get into higher rpms exclusively in 1st it revs quicker than the speed it's picking up. Every other gear is fine only noticed it in first.
j3gq_imp said:
Do a little test, as in any gear rpm and speed are always at a constant ratio. As long as this ratio is fixed or linear your clutch is fine. Example (numbers not representative) :
1000 rpm = 10mph
2000 rpm = 20mph
etc. If you can't jot it down while riding, have sb take pictures of the instrument cluster from the back seat with a cell phone.
Now look, does the ratio change at high rpm ? say, do you read 6000 rpm but only 45 mph instead of the expected 60 mph.
Again my numbers are invented. You have to find the ratio for the 1st gear of your CB1100.
Will do!
 
What oil is in it? If it's not a proper spec bike oil (i.e. car oil) it might have friction modifiers in it. Maybe drop some new oil and a filter in yourself?
 
Thread starter
Jfro5687_imp said:
What oil is in it? If it's not a proper spec bike oil (i.e. car oil) it might have friction modifiers in it. Maybe drop some new oil and a filter in yourself?
I use Pro Honda GN4 10W40. The last time I did an oil and oil filter change was at 8000 miles.
 
Why redline shift ? This is a gentelmens bike, if you want to hooligan it not surprised clutch is slipping .
 
Thread starter
obleo_imp said:
Why redline shift ? This is a gentelmens bike, if you want to hooligan it not surprised clutch is slipping .
I was testing the bikes limitations. I don't do it anymore since the first month I got it, waste of gas money. Only concern is why only in first...
You know what I'll just replace the friction plates when I do my 12000 miles oil and filter change. Should fix the issue.
 
“Gentlemen’s bike” or not, this is still a motorcycle. While the CB1100 is a marvel for it’s incredibly wide, flat powerband, it is still more than capable of running up to the redline without problem in 1st gear and others until one encounters the speed limiter. The rev limiter is another matter, but it shouldn’t impede the engine’s progress until after the redline has been reached.

Honda is perhaps the world’s master of the high-revving internal combustion engine and that is one of the things that I truly appreciate about them. While most associate the CB1100 with low rpm cruising it needn’t be restricted only to such use. While I don’t make a habit of it, I’ve taken my CB to the redline in the first couple of gears countless times without issue. If this were happening with my motorcycle, I’d be wanting to find out more about what is going on and if for sure this behavior is only taking place in 1st gear. (This is perhaps the greatest mystery.) How hard have you tried to replicate this in 2nd gear?
 
Thread starter
Guth_imp said:
“Gentlemen’s bike” or not, this is still a motorcycle. While the CB1100 is a marvel for it’s incredibly wide, flat powerband, it is still more than capable of running up to the redline without problem in 1st gear and others until one encounters the speed limiter. The rev limiter is another matter, but it shouldn’t impede the engine’s progress until after the redline has been reached.

Honda is perhaps the world’s master of the high-revving internal combustion engine and that is one of the things that I truly appreciate about them. While most associate the CB1100 with low rpm cruising it needn’t be restricted only to such use. While I don’t make a habit of it, I’ve taken my CB to the redline in the first couple of gears countless times without issue. If this were happening with my motorcycle, I’d be wanting to find out more about what is going on and if for sure this behavior is only taking place in 1st gear. (This is perhaps the greatest mystery.) How hard have you tried to replicate this in 2nd gear?
That's the thing, I never really did. I only ever did hit the redline on first to second intentionally to see how far it tops off and how quick it hits the limiter. (112mph in 3rd gear).
It was the only one I recall I had issue with shifting into the next gear. Still to this day say, I short shift 1st by 3000 then redline 2nd to 3rd (which I do some time to time) it's still responsive as I remember when I first got her. Coming with my knowledge from an automotive perspective, I'm assuming I speeded the wearing process for the plates in 1st as it seems to be the only one slipping, but shouldn't the rest be affected also?
Could it be a worn gear dog redline abuse? Shifter fork from missed 1st to 2nd? The change in weather affecting old oil???
 
Might be relevant but this happen to my Kawasaki, not my honda, 1st gear and 2nd gear slip when I over fill engine oil, but never happen to any other gear. Drop the oil to the recommended level and no more slip. I believe a normal cluth slip due to wear might be easier to induce in higher gear under load. Low gear slip in high rpm normally is due to oil. I might be wrong, maybe someone with more experience can chip in here....
And aren't dog gear worn will normally give some funny noise?
 
Thread starter
zirconxi_imp said:
Might be relevant but this happen to my Kawasaki, not my honda, 1st gear and 2nd gear slip when I over fill engine oil, but never happen to any other gear. Drop the oil to the recommended level and no more slip. I believe a normal cluth slip due to wear might be easier to induce in higher gear under load. Low gear slip in high rpm normally is due to oil. I might be wrong, maybe someone with more experience can chip in here....
And aren't dog gear worn will normally give some funny noise?
I'll give it a check, im already at 12000 so she's bound for an oil change. Can 0.1 quart really make that much impact into gear slipping? Alot of factors come into mind. Cold dual sport tires(shinko705's), whole gallon oil(fully synthetic GNC PROHONDA 10W40)
Lastly has anyone ever replace the clutch pack for the CB1100? I don't see any specification regarding torque settings i.e. Clutch Springs
 
I don't recall hearing of anyone on this Forum replacing a clutch.
 
zirconxi_imp said:
Might be relevant but this happen to my Kawasaki, not my honda, 1st gear and 2nd gear slip when I over fill engine oil, but never happen to any other gear. Drop the oil to the recommended level and no more slip. I believe a normal cluth slip due to wear might be easier to induce in higher gear under load. Low gear slip in high rpm normally is due to oil. I might be wrong, maybe someone with more experience can chip in here....
And aren't dog gear worn will normally give some funny noise?
That has been my experience when it comes to clutch slippage. Which is one of the things that makes this particular situation so perplexing and has me wondering if the problem might be rooted somewhere other than the clutch itself.
 
Thread starter
Problem fixed, it was my sprockets. Heavily worn out, wheelie attempts comes to mind(shoutout to Jon's Moto garage). I never paid attention to them when I cleaned the chain, only after replacing the rear tires and front sprocket(1 tooth down, highly recommended, she's feels more lively) I noticed it was dulled like a butter knife. Thanks for the input and help folks!
 
Wow, worn till slipped..... Mind to share the photo of the sprockets? I always wonder how far can the socket go before any funny thing start to happen. Mine kind of look like a shuriken. But due to low usage and no problem while riding, I haven't change it.
 
Back
Top