old gas and fuel injection

TCBronson_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
I know a bike with carburetors with old gas after sitting for a long period can gum up the jets and passages. The fix is usually rebuilding the carb and empty the tank and replace with fresh gas. What happens when a fuel injected bike sits for a long period of time and the gas gets old? What is the fix? New fuel injectors?
 
I'm no mechanic, but replacing the fuel injectors seems like a last resort. I'd first try running a few tanks of fresh fuel with a good concentration of fuel injector cleaner (Seafoam will do the trick) and see if that alleviates the problem.
 
How long is a "long period?"
If there was a fuel stabilizer in the gas you won't have a problem.
I've had my CB900F sit for well over six months and start up immediately and run fine.
If no stabilizer, and the engine runs, I would do as LongRanger suggests.
 
I believe he bought a new 2013 that was sitting on a dealers floor. I would make the dealer make it right.
 
The ferret_imp said:
I believe he bought a new 2013 that was sitting on a dealers floor. I would make the dealer make it right.
Me too.
 
Can't find ethanol free everywhere though and that chevron injector cleaner is actually a very weak product. I've had good luck with seafoam and Berryman. If the bike is under warranty, have the dealer fix it. If they refuse, I would contact Honda.
 
ryanschillinger_imp said:
Can't find ethanol free everywhere though and that chevron injector cleaner is actually a very weak product. I've had good luck with seafoam and Berryman. If the bike is under warranty, have the dealer fix it. If they refuse, I would contact Honda.
I've used Seafoam and agree that it's good. Try this link to find ethanol free gas in your area. Pure-gas.org - ethanol-free gasoline in the U.S. and Canada
 
Thread starter
I will use Seafoam and run a couple more tanks through as suggested. If that doesn't help I will use the warranty. Thank you ALL for your thoughts!
 
I would use Seafoam too (I actually use it as my fuel stabilizer over winter as well). You shouldn't need new injectors, as all you really need to do is clean out the spray nozzles and the area around valve and seat. What are the symptoms you're getting, intermittent miss and hesitation/lack of power?
 
I think Seafoam would be a good bet. I've used it to clean out carb jets and it's saved me a few carb teardowns in the past. It works great as long as there's still fuel flow through the affected area. The only times it didn't work was with totally clogged jets.
 
If seafoam doesn't work, pour about 6oz of a fan of Berryman b12 in with a rank of gas after you've run all the seafoam out. The Berryman is strong stuff and good at dissolving varnish and stuff. I would try seafoam first but keep Berryman in mind.
 
Do dealers put gas in brand new bikes destined for the show room floor? How likely is it that this brand new bike has been sitting on the show room floor for 3+ years with gas in the tank?
 
The ferret_imp said:
very likely
Have to agree with Mickey. Hard to believe dealers would take the time & effort to remove "old gas".

old gas & fuel injection... when I bought my 2003 HD it hadn't been run in 8yrs. The gas wasn't smelling too bad, but it idled very rough and stumbled when taking off. I used Seafoam as mentioned previously, then chased it with Lucas fuel injector cleaner (put in twice the recommended amount). Took awhile to clean, but it's running well now.

Good luck!
 
They would probably have to be empty for shipping by law, but I'm pretty sure dealers put gas in them -- you would think they would put stabilizer in them too, but I guess it's one of those "people tend to underestimate the chances of bad things happening" things...
 
That's a good question. Would seem like a lot of bikes would have problems though. You see a lot of leftover bikes, and fuel isn't very much use after a few years...
 
Back
Top