old gas and fuel injection

I think it depends on the dealer. The dealer that I purchased mine from doesn't service the bikes until they are sold. My DLX sat in the showroom for 9 months before I found it. It had the factory oil, no gas and the battery cables were still hanging out below the left side cover. Final service included gauging the tires, connecting the battery, filling the tank and a check ride. The guy who did the check ride didn't want to bring it back... he put 7 miles on it!!!
 
It really depends on what the dealer did with the bike. If it was used for occasional demo rides for years, I'd be wary of old gas.

The dealer isn't going to put gas in the bike until it needs to be there. I wouldn't worry about a bike that sat on the showroom floor for a few years and still has 0 miles on the odometer.

Back in the 90s I bought my CB750 as a 3 year old leftover. I bought it without a worry about old gas, as it was still in the crate.
 
My bike was NOS having sat around the dealership or dealerships for two years before I bought it. No issues with how it ran but it did need a new battery within the first month which was replaced under the warranty.
 
One of my "jobs" I do for the local dealer is ride some of the show room bikes that have been sitting around for a long time with gas in them. I'll stop in and they will say " Hey Ferret, feel like riding a bike a two? We have some that really need ridden" so they roll them out, put some cleaner and fresh gas in the tanks, and I will ride them for 25 miles or so. Only had one that wouldn't clear up on a ride. I'm not real fond of riding the cruisers, and the " clean out rides" keep me reminded that I dont ever want one.

I know tough job, but someone has to do it.
 
Ya know, your bragging is really, and I mean really, starting to make me...envious!! What? What did you think I was going to say? :)
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Ya know, your bragging is really, and I mean really, starting to make me...envious!! What? What did you think I was going to say? :)
:rofl:

Well, it's not all sweet. Once I had to diagnose a customer bike (cruiser) the customer was having a complaint with and it was 25 degrees when they asked me to ride it. I took it out, rode about 30 miles and correctly diagnosed the problem. Another time I was riding a used Valkrie a customer was buying later that week and made it about 2 blocks before the rear wheel locked up on me and nearly took me down. Had the customer been on it I'm sure he would have crashed. Probably saved them a lawsuit with that one. Most of the rides are ok though, just normal rides, just new bikes with old gas in them. Another time they had a new T MAx scooter (cool scooter btw) that had been sitting there for quite awhile that needed to be ridden. They needed to charge the battery for me to ride it. They wanted me to ride it home that day and bring it back the next. I rode it about 60 miles before getting home and parking it in my garage. The next morning the bike was dead dead dead. Nothing, no lights no horn nothing. So I put it on my trickle charger but 6 hours later still nothing. I loaded it onto my trailer and returned it. They had to install a new battery. If a customer had bought it they would have had an unhappy customer.

My dealership allows test rides, so if someone wants to test ride a bike, naturally it gets gassed up and the battery activated. If the person doesn't buy, suddenly they have a bike sitting there with old gas and a battery that's life clock has started ticking so to speak. The downside of allowing test rides no one thinks about.
 
I guess with Ferret all we can do is :worship:
 
Thread starter
Update to my rough idle, hesitation, stumble issues. Before I try the 02 sensor eliminator I decided to take my bike to the dealer and he discovered one of the spark plugs was bad. The dealer did not stock the plug so I am waiting now for over week to get a new plug and to see if that cures all the problems. On my last ride I checked MPG and got 33.2. Not so good. I will report back with results of the dealer visit.
 
I'm thinking if you have been waiting for over a week for a spark plug you may want to think about finding a better dealer. This seems like something that should be on the shelf.
 
My dealer sold 2 CBs. And one took a year to move. They don't stock parts for our bike either, but it usually doesn't take but a few days to get them in.
 
curlyjoe_imp said:
Do dealers put gas in brand new bikes destined for the show room floor? How likely is it that this brand new bike has been sitting on the show room floor for 3+ years with gas in the tank?
The dealer that I dealt with for years before I moved never put gas in the tank or a battery in the bike. He said it was an insurance issue, which makes sense.
 
Thread starter
ryanschillinger_imp said:
I can't imagine removing the oxygen sensor is a good solution. Glad they found a bad plug.
The spark plug came in but did not cure the problem completely. The bike runs better but not like it's supposed to. The service manager is still working on it and thinks it may be an injector issue on one cylinder. Stay tuned for more updates.
 
Aussieflyer_imp said:
My bike was NOS having sat around the dealership or dealerships for two years before I bought it. No issues with how it ran but it did need a new battery within the first month which was replaced under the warranty.
I bought a new 1986 VFR750F at a big discount in 1988; these were the "tariffed" versions which were much more expensive than 700cc version, but never sold well and were deeply discounted years later. Fantastic motorcycle. I had a VFR700F which I traded in with about 35,000 miles, I think.

But the new (old) bike had gummed up carbs, the pilot jets had to be removed and cleaned. So some dealers do put gas in 'em and they sit. It was all covered by warranty.
 
Back
Top