Ok..done deal!

Like I said earlier, there is no sense in trying to make sense out of an illogical purchase. In the end, we all have our own financial realities to deal with.

I placed my deposit for my 2013 CB1100 back in 2012 and picked up the very first one that arrived at my dealer. Obviously this is not a recipe for a rock bottom deal. But like Mickey, the dealer and I were able to reach a deal that we are both happy with. Others who purchased later on might have paid less, but they missed out on the riding that I was enjoying on my CB all the while. For me, it was easily worth it. For someone else, maybe not.

In my case, the CB1100 was truly a luxury purchase that many friends would consider illogical. Even though I do use it for commuting for the majority of the year, I don't consider the CB to be my primary means of transportation. Many would see this as illogical, and in some ways I'd agree, but I'd do it all over again in a heartbeat. Trading a 2013 model in for a 2014 is more of a stretch, but I do get it. As far as I'm concerned, we only get one shot at this thing called life and it's up to each of us to make the most of it as we see fit, That's going to mean different things to each of us.

I watched my dad work hard and save his money so that he could retire early, which he did. A few weeks later he was gone at the age of 52 the victim of a heart attack. That will forever impact my attitude towards topics such as this one. Saving for tomorrow is a good thing. So is enjoying today. It's up it each of us individually to determine how we want to balance those two things.

So to Mickey and all the others here who will be trading in their current CB for a new 2014 model, I wish you nothing but the best. Here's hoping that the enjoyment you get from the 2014 model exceeds your expectations and I look forward to reading all about it here in the near future!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Guth_imp said:
Like I said earlier, there is no sense in trying to make sense out of an illogical purchase. In the end, we all have our own financial realities to deal with.

I placed my deposit for my 2013 CB1100 back in 2012 and picked up the very first one that arrived at my dealer. Obviously this is not a recipe for a rock bottom deal. But like Mickey, the dealer and I were able to reach a deal that we are both happy with. Others who purchased later on might have paid less, but they missed out on the riding that I was enjoying on my CB all the while. For me, it was easily worth it. For someone else, maybe not.

In my case, the CB1100 was truly a luxury purchase that many friends would consider illogical. Even though I do use it for commuting for the majority of the year, I don't consider the CB to be my primary means of transportation. Many would see this as illogical, and in some ways I'd agree, but I'd do it all over again in a heartbeat. Trading a 2013 model in for a 2014 is more of a stretch, but I do get it. As far as I'm concerned, we only get one shot at this thing called life and it's up to each of us to make the most of it as we see fit, That's going to mean different things to each of us.

I watched my dad work hard and save his money so that he could retire early, which he did. A few weeks later he was gone at the age of 52 the victim of a heart attack. That will forever impact my attitude towards topics such as this one. Saving for tomorrow is a good thing. So is enjoying today. It's up it each of us individually to determine how we want to balance those two things.

So to Mickey and all the others here who will be trading in their current CB for a new 2014 model, I wish you nothing but the best. Here's hoping that the enjoyment you get from the 2014 model exceeds your expectations and I look forward to reading all about it here in the near future!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't say Ferret's deal was illogical; in his case, he's given enough background on his life story where anyone can plainly see the man can afford to make any kind of decision he wants. It's unlikely he's gonna lose his home or a moment's sleep over it, unless it's in excited anticipation of picking up the new scoot. The man is no dummy.

However, the issue of new bike fever is real and, for most folks, tossing away thousands just for a different color, another 25 miles between pee breaks, and few more LCD displays is not gonna be a good deal. So I'm sayin' it.

That's a bum deal on your dad. I didn't really have one so I won't say I know how you felt about it. I'd also say that not everyone who works hard and retires early is gonna have that kind of catastrophic health event. Most people, in fact, won't, and while this certainly is not a financial advice forum, we do have a bit of crisis in this country where folks seem to want it all, and want it now. Just take a look at how much more employees have to pay into their health care and retirement plans, if they even have one at all.

It's a money vs. emotion issue for most people.
 
Bikes are fun and expensive. I've had 33 and have lost a small fortune over the years. Next is a new BMW RT for some long hauls. I love it :D and nobody really NEEDS a motorcycle.......they are just for enjoyment.
With my health issues I really don't plan on doing to much past retirement age.
So just enjoy what you can while you can.
 
Ack-CB11_imp said:
Bikes are fun and expensive. I've had 33 and have lost a small fortune over the years. Next is a new BMW RT for some long hauls. I love it :D and nobody really NEEDS a motorcycle.......they are just for enjoyment.
With my health issues I really don't plan on doing to much past retirement age.
So just enjoy what you can while you can.
I always keep in mind what Ferret said; it was worth the 3 grand to ride the bike 7,000 miles. I've had over 50 bikes myself; I paid attention to my finances as well as my riding skills and fortunately, I'm now retired and do have several new machines in the garage along with a few road bicycles. You can't always get what you want, but sometimes you get what you need.:thumbsup:
I was just doing some quick math; 750,000 miles of riding, 50 bikes, I've got about 15K miles average on each machine. Average that at $6K per bike, I spent $300,000 in about 30 years. That's 10 grand a year to have ridden all those years. Figure in insurance, tires, and so on, maybe $15K a year on average. That's not much for a hobby that probably borders on, or becomes, an obsession.:beerchug:
 
Red Mist_imp said:
Ack-CB11_imp said:
Bikes are fun and expensive. I've had 33 and have lost a small fortune over the years. Next is a new BMW RT for some long hauls. I love it :D and nobody really NEEDS a motorcycle.......they are just for enjoyment.
With my health issues I really don't plan on doing to much past retirement age.
So just enjoy what you can while you can.
I always keep in mind what Ferret said; it was worth the 3 grand to ride the bike 7,000 miles. I've had over 50 bikes myself; I paid attention to my finances as well as my riding skills and fortunately, I'm now retired and do have several new machines in the garage along with a few road bicycles. You can't always get what you want, but sometimes you get what you need.:thumbsup:
I was just doing some quick math; 750,000 miles of riding, 50 bikes, I've got about 15K miles average on each machine. Average that at $6K per bike, I spent $300,000 in about 30 years. That's 10 grand a year to have ridden all those years. Figure in insurance, tires, and so on, maybe $15K a year on average. That's not much for a hobby that probably borders on, or becomes, an obsession.:beerchug:
Wow, my best was 8500 miles over 2 years on one of my 33. The RT will change all that, this damn island doesn't help much for miles............
 
Okay, I think we've unfortunately stumbled onto something here:

No future discussions about; politics, religion, abortion, or the need to justify a new bike purchase!

Enjoy your new ride when it gets here Ferret.
 
People throw away all kinds of $$ on toys daily, I don't need to justify how I throw mine away, I made it 64 yrs so far and I'm certain I won't take it with me.

Ferret, I wouldn't blame you of you went back and deleted 1/2 this thread.
 
I can't wait till you get it and are able to provide a stellar report on the bike. Keenly interested on the bits, after riding, don't impress you as much as you thought, the bits that did impress you and you didn't even think that was an issue and the over all assesment of the bike compared to the first generation (2013).

And thank you for being the first sucker, I mean first adaptor of the new machine. :worship:

:)
 
The ferret_imp said:
Couple of points.. I know I do not have to justify my purchases to anyone, but lest someone thinks I'm rich, which I'm not, I'd like to explain how I justify ( in my own mind) this bit of seemingly extravagance...

I generally do not buy new bikes. I buy used. I buy them right and sell them right. The ST is the only new bike (besides the CBs ) that I have bought new in a bunch of years, and I bought it as a left over saving $6000 off list price in the process.

I sold 2 of my bikes to buy the 2013 CB. A Yamaha FZ-1 that I had paid $3000 for, rode for 4 1/2 years and sold for $2850 ($150 for 4 1/2 years isnt bad eh?) and my 750 Nighthawk that I paid $3000 for, kept for 5 years and sold for $2100. (not as good as the FZ but $900 for 5 years is less than $200 a year). That gave me nearly $5000 towards my 2013 CB.

I also bought my 2013 CB 1100 right. Not as right as some of the prices I have read, but I was really pleased with the deal. I walked in with a pre-written check for the amount I was willing to pay for the CB, and they accepted it. Yes, there will be depreciation, but not as bad as one would think.

I really like the look of the new Deluxe and had I known it was coming would not have bought a 13 and therefore would not have lost a penny in depreciation (although I loved my 13 and put more mileage on it last year than all the other bikes in my garage combined).

I had a Majesty scooter sitting around I wasn't riding much. I bought it used for $3000 to ride with my wife on her Majesty scooter. She didn't ride hers at all last year due to a hip replacement and barely rode it the year before..and not much the year before that either. I asked myself, would I rather have the scooter sitting there barely being used, or use the value in it to get what I really wanted which was the Deluxe? In the end it cost me $500 to own the scooter for 3 years.

Running the numbers is too complicated to figure out what I've really got invested in this new 2014. Whole lot of wrangling and dealing on 5 different motorcycles to get where I am today. There will also be some additional savings by not having to insure and maintain so many motorcycles. There will also be more room in the garage by dropping from 4 motorcycles in the stable to 2 for me and 1 for my wife which may get sold as well if she isn't going to ride it, although it's hers and I will let her make that decision.

Regardless, there are those on this forum who have spent way more modifying their 2013 motorcycles to suit them, either cosmetically, or with motor and/or suspension upgrades, than I figure I'll have in a motorcycle I won't modify at all. Pick your poison, to each his own. If you like what you've got, I'm thrilled for you, that's what it's all about, and that's all that matters.

Don't expect that I will buy another new motorcycle in my lifetime. I turn 64 in May, and hope to be able to ride until I'm 70. Any more will be icing on the cake. Family history says I won't make it many more years after that. At this point hoping my mind and body give me that much at least. My ST and the CB should outlast me I would think. If so I am set for life on motorcycles now.

The CB 1100 whether 2013 or 2014 std or 2014 Deluxe is a special motorcycle, one which caused me to abandon my usual practice of buying used, and as my wife said " opened my wallet and let some of the moths escape". (we are actually rather frugal in our family.. the family joke is "copper wire was invented by my dad and my brother fighting over a penny") .

End of story, thanks for listening! I'll be here all week, be sure and tip your waitress.
admit it mr Ferret - you do have a little guilt trading for a new motorcycle that look like your own with with a 6th gear at $6K+ cost. don't feel guilty, please yourself before you are getting too old to enjoy anything.
 
Red Mist_imp said:
Guth_imp said:
Like I said earlier, there is no sense in trying to make sense out of an illogical purchase. In the end, we all have our own financial realities to deal with.

I placed my deposit for my 2013 CB1100 back in 2012 and picked up the very first one that arrived at my dealer. Obviously this is not a recipe for a rock bottom deal. But like Mickey, the dealer and I were able to reach a deal that we are both happy with. Others who purchased later on might have paid less, but they missed out on the riding that I was enjoying on my CB all the while. For me, it was easily worth it. For someone else, maybe not.

In my case, the CB1100 was truly a luxury purchase that many friends would consider illogical. Even though I do use it for commuting for the majority of the year, I don't consider the CB to be my primary means of transportation. Many would see this as illogical, and in some ways I'd agree, but I'd do it all over again in a heartbeat. Trading a 2013 model in for a 2014 is more of a stretch, but I do get it. As far as I'm concerned, we only get one shot at this thing called life and it's up to each of us to make the most of it as we see fit, That's going to mean different things to each of us.

I watched my dad work hard and save his money so that he could retire early, which he did. A few weeks later he was gone at the age of 52 the victim of a heart attack. That will forever impact my attitude towards topics such as this one. Saving for tomorrow is a good thing. So is enjoying today. It's up it each of us individually to determine how we want to balance those two things.

So to Mickey and all the others here who will be trading in their current CB for a new 2014 model, I wish you nothing but the best. Here's hoping that the enjoyment you get from the 2014 model exceeds your expectations and I look forward to reading all about it here in the near future!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't say Ferret's deal was illogical; in his case, he's given enough background on his life story where anyone can plainly see the man can afford to make any kind of decision he wants. It's unlikely he's gonna lose his home or a moment's sleep over it, unless it's in excited anticipation of picking up the new scoot. The man is no dummy.

However, the issue of new bike fever is real and, for most folks, tossing away thousands just for a different color, another 25 miles between pee breaks, and few more LCD displays is not gonna be a good deal. So I'm sayin' it.

That's a bum deal on your dad. I didn't really have one so I won't say I know how you felt about it. I'd also say that not everyone who works hard and retires early is gonna have that kind of catastrophic health event. Most people, in fact, won't, and while this certainly is not a financial advice forum, we do have a bit of crisis in this country where folks seem to want it all, and want it now. Just take a look at how much more employees have to pay into their health care and retirement plans, if they even have one at all.

It's a money vs. emotion issue for most people.

True enough.

The point that I'm attempting to make, however poorly, is that we don't all think and act the same way. No matter how much we try to break it down, we simply can't expect another persons logic to follow our own.

Most motorcycle purchases are born more out of passion than financial logic. Thank goodness. If that weren't the case, I don't think that bikes like the CB1100 would exist.


Sent from my iPhone using [url=http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1]Tapatalk
 
thumper_imp said:
Okay, I think we've unfortunately stumbled onto something here:

No future discussions about; politics, religion, abortion, or the need to justify a new bike purchase!

Enjoy your new ride when it gets here Ferret.
Hell, if we eliminate that we'd have to delete most of the website, 'cause it's all mostly just trivial banter.

I admit I've been sitting around the house (I'm retired, too) waiting for an ECU I had reflashed to arrive via FedEx. It just arrived so naturally, I'm going back down to the garage and start putting my (other) bike back together.

This site's mostly a place to sling hash amiably when we can't ride or fiddle with our bikes.:beerchug:
 
Blockhead_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Hey ferret,

Cell phones take movies nowadays...;)

Mine doesn't. Rotary dial blocks the lens I think.

Mine doesn't. Rotary dial blocks the lens I think.
Well in that case does the new bike come with an 8-track player?:cool:

Mine doesn't. Rotary dial blocks the lens I think.
Well in that case does the new bike come with an 8-track player?:cool:
Apparently it has a reel-to-reel under the seat and a whopping Bakelite speaker disguised as a tank bag. Or you can listen with Bakelite headphones.
On a serious note, thanks Ferret and others for sharing so much about this trade. One thing that's abundantly clear from this site is that motorcycle ownership is about passion, irrationality, likes, dislikes than other things. Rationality, as many have said, doesn't enter into it. And thank the great banana for that. Life would be so terribly tedious is everyone calculated their decisions rationality.

Most things vehicular depreciate, so the only way to make changing bikes a profitable business is to create something amazing (at a cost) or go backwards in quality and engine size.

This thread is more a discussion about why we do the things we do. I don't know about others, but I find the differences in approach between forum members really interesting. It's something to ponder as I ride along country roads.

Thanks all for sharing your enthusiams. I'd say 'passions' but value of the word has been trashed by contemporary usage. I don't always understand all of them, but I enjoy them. And I'm going to look forward to Ferret sharing his enthusiasm for the 2014 model. If, of course, he ever gets off it!
 
I promised my wife my 2011 hd streetglide was my last bike purchase, well that one is gone and my vstar 1100 silverado is all by itself in the garage untill my 14 dlx arrives, l have an addiction to motorcycles and I just cant stop, I will stop oneday when I can no longer ride or when im dead, man do I love motorcycles.
I promised my wife my 2011 hd streetglide was my last bike purchase, well that one is gone and my vstar 1100 silverado is all by itself in the garage untill my 14 dlx arrives, l have an addiction to motorcycles and I just cant stop, I will stop oneday when I can no longer ride or when im dead, man do I love motorcycles.
 
I think its great Ferret, I'm look forward to some great pictures and reviews. Maybe the weather will break by the time the new ride arrives. :thumbsup:
 
Congrats Ferret.
Can't wait for detailed pics and thoughts of ownership. Just picked up my cb w 160 miles and can't wait to get to know her. Different style for me. Plain Janish in a way but that retro style spoke to my soul somehow.

Red Mist. You I think had some interesting thoughts but boy oh boy you came off a bit strange. Surely you meant well.
We all just love riding after all. Oh and buying fun toys.
 
After looking over this thread once again, I can't help but reflect upon my own experiences when it comes to those things I'm "enthusiastic" about and of course the CB1100 in particular...

So I hadn't owned my CB1100 all that long when I figured out that I wanted to change up the exhaust note. I decided I'd go for a slip-on exhaust and I had a number of options to choose from. In the end, I was won over by the one that looked and sounded the best to me, and of course it was also the most expensive one to boot at over $800. After picking up my Staintune from the dealer and arriving home with it, my wife was in shock. Why was it that I felt the need to spend so much money (or any money at all for that matter) on a part for a bike that I had just purchased she wondered. I just looked at her and said something to the effect of "You know what, I can't explain it. I seriously have no explanation that you would be able to understand". After all it's not like I was going to get some big performance gain from it, or that my fuel efficiency was going to shoot way up. The exhaust that came from the factory was perfectly good, nothing wrong with it. There was simply no logical justification that could be made for my purchase.

After installing the Staintune, I took the CB out for a spin. I got such a huge cuss-eating grin on my face that I was almost embarrassed (almost). The thing is, I still get that grin when I head out for ride and roll on the throttle. The exhaust was indeed expensive, insanely so by my standards, but the the return on that sizable investment has been priceless. Some people will get that, and some people won't. It matters not to me though because I consider it part of my successful therapy program. It just can't be explained to those who don't understand. Nor can it be measured. But every time I finish up with a ride, even a commute, I just feel better.

I'm now picturing the ferret out on the road somewhere in the not too distant future. He'll be riding his new 2014 CB1100 Deluxe and wearing the new larger helmet that he bought — larger in order to accommodate the size of the grin that he's constantly sporting.
 
Well said. We all suffer that same condition, at least to some extent. Owning a motorcycle is a "therapy" that we should all be thankful for.

From a financial perspective, unless it is your primary form of transportation, there is no real justification for owning a bike. But they do make you feel good. And that is the point, isn't it? You can't really put a price on that.
I can picture Ferret on that 2014 Deluxe, remembering the picture he has posted of he and Mrs. Ferret on the KZ1000. Lots of similarities there, red, top of the line UJM, 4 into 2s, hmmmm....., I think I see a pattern.

:D
 
Well said, Guth.

I'm not sure I'd get away with a Stayintune. In any event, I'm quite happy with the factory muffler. Your post reminds me of the feeling I get when I become aware of its faint growl when I'm riding. I love that feeling.
 
Back
Top