Oil Poll, hopefully a safe one!

TCBronson_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
I know this topic can be dangerous to discuss, but I was wondering how many use conventional oil VS synthetic. I was thinking of using synthetic because of the engine being air cooled it might help with any possible over heating issues.

I have always used Honda oil in my Honda's but I have never used synthetic. I know it is expensive but maybe worth it?
 
Just came back from shop picking up a couple of gallons of GN4 10W30 for the CB & GN4 10W 40 for the ST conventional oil and another Honda oem filter for each of my bikes. Guess you know how I voted lol.

Honda says it's ok to use their synthetic in the CB, so I guess any motorcycle friendly synthetic would be ok.

I change oil every 4000 miles so I see no advantage to using synthetic oil personally.

As you asked it, the subject is OK.."what do you use?", however if you had phrased it " which is best?" their might have been some trouble lol
 
I use Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 synthetic. Cost at Wal Mart ($27 a gallon) is less than the Honda non synthetic at my local shop.
 
I had switched to synthetic in my CB900F (919) then realized that I wasn't riding it enough to warrant the cost. About all the mileage I was putting on it was the interval of a normal oil change so I went back to Motul dino oil.
When I saw the low mileage the Bonneville and 1100 were also getting each summer I stayed with dino oil in them too.
Because I have to hibernate my bikes from early November to mid April I like to have fresh unused oil circulated in the engine before that long winter sleep.
 
I used to use conventional oils exclusively, until a few years ago. I ran a few oil analysis reports that showed the extreme desert heat coupled with normal shear was breaking the oil down within a few thousand miles. Predictably this only happened during the summer months that included daily city riding in temps up to 115F. Blackstone said the viscosity in my samples was equivalent to a 20 weight (originally 15w-40).

During winter months analysis was just fine. Rather than switching oil seasonally, I just started using synthetic full time. Oil analysis revealed the synthetic held up quite well during the summer, changed at 3K - 3.5K mile intervals.

That said, if I didn't live in a suburb of hades, I'd probably still be using conventional oil.
 
TCBronson_imp said:
I know this topic can be dangerous to discuss, but I was wondering how many use conventional oil VS synthetic. I was thinking of using synthetic because of the engine being air cooled it might help with any possible over heating issues.

I have always used Honda oil in my Honda's but I have never used synthetic. I know it is expensive but maybe worth it?
Not to me it isn't.
 
-Honda full synthetic in my CB
-Yamalube full synthetic in my KLR
-Syn3 synthetic in my Harley
-Mobil 1 in both of my Mercedes as well as my Expedition
-Full synthetic lower end lube in my outboard motor

I've been using synthetic since 1990 in every engine I've owned, since I personally noticed lower engine temperatures in a Corvette I had back then. In addition I've never read any legitimate reason to use fossil based oil, rather than synthetic, other than the difference in cost. Full synthetic is far superior to fossil based especially when dealing with heat related issues. And since I live in the south, it makes sense for me to use it.
 
Lol it was 51 when I went for my ride this morning. NO problem with heat here until next July.
 
I use Castrol 10w 40 4t full synthetic in my CB. First off its readily available and price is right. Second, may help run a little cooler in an air cooled engine and third, you can go twice as long before changing oil. I will change the oil between 4 to 5k with full synthetic. I also feel the protection is greater.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
 
So you only go 2000-2500 miles on Dino oil changes?
 
Back
Top