Oil leak.....

Looks like it's weeping a bit. That looks like it's just an oil galley plug, and doesn't hold anything in (I'm sure someone with a manual can confirm that). At you're next oil change, maybe just pop it out and try putting some aviation sealer or thread sealer on the threads and just reinstalling. I wouldn't be too worried about it though, as it's not much of a serious leak.
 
Thread starter
Not worried really, still under warranty, going to take to dealer... make them take care of it!

Sent from me......
Just hoping it's not some kind of on going issue. The bike only has 7000 miles on it!

Sent from me......
 
MMC_imp said:
Not worried really, still under warranty, going to take to dealer... make them take care of it!

Sent from me......
Just hoping it's not some kind of on going issue. The bike only has 7000 miles on it!

Sent from me......
Just leave it alone. Wipe it off, maybe. You take it out, it might start leaking even more if you don't follow Honda's exact procedure (no kidding). 7000 miles and just a very thin film oozed out, it's nothing to worry about at all. When you get done worrying about that, you can worry some about how many other riders failed to wave at you. ;)
 
leaks drip. I don't see any drips

ride more...worry less
 
That's not oil from that plug as far as I can tell. Whatever it is, it's coming from in front of the plug.
 
MMC_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
leaks drip. I don't see any drips

ride more...worry less
That's what I was thinking until I saw this...


Sent from me......
That's what I was thinking until I saw this...


Sent from me......
Oh yea, I don't like the looks of that, but it looks like rust water running to me. With that much oil gone you'd think there would be a drop of oil hanging from the cap. I'd spray it with some contact cleaner, clean it real well, then take it for a spin and see if there is any oil leaking from there.
 
It does look like a gallery plug, both on the bike, and in the crankcase section of the service manual. I couldn't find it mentioned specifically. I also could not tell where it is shown, if it is, in the parts fiche.

Mine is not weeping. I would suggest what Randy says and look forward. Check the oil filter and the oil cooler tube that mounts down low for leaks.

Notice that there is no oil on the frame tube below the plug. I don't think it is dripping or there would be oil on the frame tube, I would think.
 
Thread starter
Oil looked low because it was not warm enough. Cleaned it up, rode it home, looks fine. Oil level is good. Not worried anymore... thanks for responses. I'll keep an eye on it still.

Sent from me......
 
Thread starter
I guess I kind of panicked yesterday. This is the first bike, or vehicle for that matter, that I ever bought brand new for myself. I always expect problems with used vehicles, not new ones! It's all good...

Sent from me......
 
did you determine what the streaking fluid on the exhaust system was?
 
Maybe its dirty water. Like that other guy who paniced and it turned out to be from a puddle. Lets hope its just dirty water.
 
Thread starter
I'm pretty sure it was water in pipe. But, I cleaned it and rode about 100 miles and I see seepage already.... hard to see in pic but that little shine at the top of plug is fresh oil


Sent from me......
 
MMC, Looking back at the first pics, it looks like the seepage may be starting at that little hole looking thing in the gallery. Maybe a casting flaw? Or is it just a trick of the picture?
 
MMC?. Next time clean it again and spray some foot power or sprinle some baby powder on it and it will clump where its seeping from
 
I've had a thick trail of cluttered black stuff on the heatshield bellow my bike.

I had it since virtually since I owned this bike.

I cleaned it once but after a while it just reappears, and follows the same path.

First I thought it was durt and grease from the chain gooed together, this time I was so fed up with that ugly black trail on that nice chrome, so I thought this is not normal and I decided to investigate this thoroughly.

I went as deep under the bike as I could, and since it was at the side of the chain/gearbox I put the bike on its side stand wich gave me a better view of the bottom left when looking from the right.

And I think I have leaky gearbox gasket :-/
There was a lot more black sticky blubber on the bottom of the gearbox assembly wich seems to originate from the gasket.

Since I've been riding about 3,500 miles like that I hope I'm not damaging my gearbox :-/
As some might know I'm bringing my bike in at the end of the month for my instable idle issue....

Unfortunattely I'm sharing this AFTER I cleaned it all up...:rolleyes:
So no pics how it wa, only how it is:

the red circle shows a nice shiny bottom of the gearbox, but this was covered in muddy black stuff



here I could not reach to wipe of all that thick muddy stuff you see encircled, thats a part of the tubular frame btw
]

But if its a failed gearbox gasket I'm sure it will show itself by the time the bike is due for its medical care at the dealers.

The list of faults on my bike seems never ending :dodgy:
 
Back
Top