Oil Leak! Please help

Thread starter
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Don't forget to put sealant in the "semi-circular cut-outs" using Three Bond 5211C or equivalent. Manual shows it going at the top of each cutout (both sides) where the cover mates with the head. I'm sure you can see where by looking before you remove the cover.

If you have a manual, sorry for the above.
Good looking out!



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
My bike has a leak in the same area. Not sure if i should wait until i check the valves or try to fix it.

Let us know how you fix the problem. My area is exactly the same.

thanks

-Ish
 
ish_imp said:
My bike has a leak in the same area. Not sure if i should wait until i check the valves or try to fix it.

Let us know how you fix the problem. My area is exactly the same.

thanks

-Ish
Forgive me for butting in but I believe the fix was described on post #18.
 
Haven't figured out how to post photos yet, but my '14 DLX has a gob of clear silicone sealant at every joint between the cam cover and head at the 3:00 and 9:00 positions of all four round chrome end covers. The silicone looks bad up close and I've been meaning to try cleaning it up, but zero leaks so far. It's been there since new so Honda must have started doing it to address the oil leak problem some of you are having. It's not the type of oil you're using. I would just keep cleaning it until the cam cover has to be removed for your first valve check, then dab sealer in those areas before reinstalling the cam cover.
 
Actually the sealant is, or should be, on all the engines. Its on the US 2013s and is in the service manual which says use Three Bond 5211C or equivalent. I did post that above, and no, I don't know what Three Bond 5211C is. :)

The stuff on my bike is not clear, but yellowish. Interesting there is a difference.
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Actually the sealant is, or should be, on all the engines. Its on the US 2013s and is in the service manual which says use Three Bond 5211C or equivalent. I did post that above, and no, I don't know what Three Bond 5211C is. :)

The stuff on my bike is not clear, but yellowish. Interesting there is a difference.
I can't find it for sale in the US. I emailed the company to see if it is available here. This link shows it available in the UK.

http://www.techsil.co.uk/three-bond-tb5211c-clear-silicone-sealant-330ml
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Actually the sealant is, or should be, on all the engines. Its on the US 2013s and is in the service manual which says use Three Bond 5211C or equivalent. I did post that above, and no, I don't know what Three Bond 5211C is. :)

The stuff on my bike is not clear, but yellowish. Interesting there is a difference.
The sealant on my DLX looks and feels exactly like dried clear silicone sealant... I have no idea what the Three Bond stuff is either!!
 
Sorry Xyzzy, I guess I didn't notice you posted the link that I did. Reading is fundamental :)
 
SanPete_imp said:
ish_imp said:
My bike has a leak in the same area. Not sure if i should wait until i check the valves or try to fix it.

Let us know how you fix the problem. My area is exactly the same.

thanks

-Ish
Forgive me for butting in but I believe the fix was described on post #18.
Forgive me for butting in but I believe the fix was described on post #18.
I really think this was a well documented problem on the 2013 (and earlier 2010-on) if it's coming out from around the cam end cap. Heck, I found out about it by searching the internet; printed the symptoms/fix people described; showed it to my dealer who wasn't aware at all about any problems. Dealer contacted American Honda, who contacted Honda Japan and they somehow confirmed the gasket install defect. Granted, my fix was under warranty, but I would certainly argue the point with the dealer/Honda before pulling anything apart myself.
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Sorry Xyzzy, I guess I didn't notice you posted the link that I did. Reading is fundamental :)
That's cool! Great minds think alike!

I have an email exchange going on with ThreeBond right now. Apparently this stuff is made in Japan and not easy to get. I wonder what the dealers use? (Maybe I don't want to know!)
 
Well obviously they use the "equivalent" :P :D
 
Xyzzy_imp said:
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Sorry Xyzzy, I guess I didn't notice you posted the link that I did. Reading is fundamental :)
That's cool! Great minds think alike!

I have an email exchange going on with ThreeBond right now. Apparently this stuff is made in Japan and not easy to get. I wonder what the dealers use? (Maybe I don't want to know!)
Good news!

Quote:Michael,
You can try Yamabond #4. You can purchase this an any Yamaha Dealer.


Thanxs,

Cincinnati Sales Department
ThreeBond International, Inc.
6184 Schumacher Park Drive
West Chester, OH 45069

PH: 513-779-7300
FX: 513-779-7375
ThreeBond | Global Adhesive & Industrial Sealant Manufacturer
 
Back
Top