Oil Leak! Please help

Sfomoto_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Hello,
I noticed while riding my CB1100 that there is a very small oil leak on the right side of the engine. There is no oil on the garage floor or other parts of the bike.
It only occurs when I am riding, and I always find a little oil on the same spot. No smoke or smells on the bike when I ride.

I am attaching some pics.
ca56cc9806b4de34adc0e06c19360aff.jpg
5600a578e9aa7dbe810ca5307ba166ab.jpg


All help is appreciate it.

Thank you,
Sfomoto
e86b787b385edfb8ce66fd7b07335699.jpg



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I had the same thing happening on the opposite side. It's on the first second and sometimes works its way down to the third Finn. I took off the tank and loosen all the head bolts and re-torque them down. I found two just a bit more than hand tight. Make sure to use a torque wrench.
 
I am without a manual yet, so what would the torque be? Also, while I'm asking about torque, what would the numbers be for the exhaust flanges bolts and the exhaust hangers? I am changing my exhaust out as soon as the new ones get here from Japan. Thanks for any help.
 
I had the same leak. My mechanic put little washer under the cam cover bolt, top of your first pic. Tightened it back and problem solved.
 
Do you mean head bolts or cam cover bolts? The 8 cam cover bolts, 10 NM or 7 lb ft.
lash_imp said:
I am without a manual yet, so what would the torque be? Also, while I'm asking about torque, what would the numbers be for the exhaust flanges bolts and the exhaust hangers? I am changing my exhaust out as soon as the new ones get here from Japan. Thanks for any help.
Manual lists "exhaust pipe joint nut" qty 8. I am assuming these are the flange nuts. 16 lb ft. All other values listed for hanger and joint clamps is 15 lb ft.
 
Thread starter
Thank you all for the help. I ll write an update as soon as I get it fixed.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Just curious, the guys with the leaks, what kind of oil are you using? I've read for years where synthetic oil will sometimes seep out and dino oil won't.
 
mininsx_imp said:
Just curious, the guys with the leaks, what kind of oil are you using? I've read for years where synthetic oil will sometimes seep out and dino oil won't.
That is an ancient story when synthetics first came out (in the late sixties I think). The reason for that is that oils have seal swelling additives that help the seals remain tight, and the early synthetics either didn't use them or used a different type of additive which sometimes caused leaks after petroleum oils had been used. It hasn't been an issue for over 30 years.
 
FJR919_imp said:
mininsx_imp said:
Just curious, the guys with the leaks, what kind of oil are you using? I've read for years where synthetic oil will sometimes seep out and dino oil won't.
That is an ancient story when synthetics first came out (in the late sixties I think). The reason for that is that oils have seal swelling additives that help the seals remain tight, and the early synthetics either didn't use them or used a different type of additive which sometimes caused leaks after petroleum oils had been used. It hasn't been an issue for over 30 years.
That is an ancient story when synthetics first came out (in the late sixties I think). The reason for that is that oils have seal swelling additives that help the seals remain tight, and the early synthetics either didn't use them or used a different type of additive which sometimes caused leaks after petroleum oils had been used. It hasn't been an issue for over 30 years.
I haven't had a computer for that long, and I've read on car and bike message boards where seepage can happen with synthetic oil. I'm not saying that's the problem, I'm just asking what type of oil is used.
 
Having read many technical articles on synthetic oils, I've never read of an oil leak problem from using them. In 50 years of doing my own maintenance on my cars and motorcycles, I had many more oil leak problems before synthetic oils were available. Every oil leak I have repaired has been caused by defective gaskets or seals, usually from normal wear and aging or the seal or gasket being improperly installed. I switched to synthetic oils exclusively about 15 years ago and have never had any problems.
 
If you have an ol' BMW K model, which is older than 20 years and you used mineral oil the whole time, you don't want to switch to synthetic. That would cause leaking oil seals for pretty sure, especially the one from the engine to the dry clutch, which then may cause an oiled clutch problem.

However, when you used synthetic all the time already: no problem at all and no issue to continue using it.

Yet I don't think at all, this is a problem with the CB 1100.
 
In the past I've looked into this claim that synthetic oil will leak past your seals. From reading the internet reports and discussions It seems that this is not true in a modern motorcycle engine, but there is enough reports of problems that it is true of older engines from the 70s including Honda and BMW, and also many Harleys right up to the late 90s, but not beyond.
 
I had the same oil leak fixed about the 3500mile mark (I'd have to check my records to know for sure). Mechanic pulled the cover to check valve clearance and found a gasket problem. Honda had a problem with incorrectly installed rubber gaskets. Part of the gasket material gets bunched up and folds over. Mine was fixed under warranty and I've been leak free ever since (12k service sched for next week). Since it is a known/acknowledged problem by Honda, I hope you leaky folks have the same luck I had.
 
Good info, my warranty has expired, I will first try to retorque the valve cover, if that doesn't work then maybe I will pull the cover and look for any fold over gaskets and replace if necessary, Thanks jodyz
 
Don't forget to put sealant in the "semi-circular cut-outs" using Three Bond 5211C or equivalent. Manual shows it going at the top of each cutout (both sides) where the cover mates with the head. I'm sure you can see where by looking before you remove the cover.

If you have a manual, sorry for the above.
 
Back
Top