Oil filter won?t come off

Jgarciajr40_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Trying to do my first oil change since buying my CB.

Oil filter almost feels wielded on. I used my channel lock oil wrench all that did was was crush it. I tried a 65MM oil wrench I have but I think it’s a 64MM filter? It slides off, and I tried stabbing it with a screw driver and turning all I did was break my screw driver…

Any ideas how I can get this filter off? I was thinking of one of those rubberband ratcheting wrenches but I can only find car ones that are too big…
 
Yikes! I've used a rubber band ratcheting wrench with no problems. There's been a fair bit of the band left over. Otherwise you may have to buy a metal circular wrench or the special Honda filter removal tool.
 
I wish I had some help for you, but this one's a real head-scratcher. Hope it turns out well for you. If it were me, I'd probably be in there with my Dremel tool taking it out piece-by-piece. Not a solution I recommend, however.
 
Mine was the same when I bought my bike earlier this year. I'm almost certain it was the original filter since the bike only had 2600 miles on it.
I used a chisel and hammer. Just be careful and take it slow. Don't be an animal!!....lol
 
NAPA has a band socket that requires a 1/2 inch drive. I had the same problem with the filter on a Kawasaki Mule. I had destroyed the filter trying the same techniques. The Napa tool and a breaker bar got it off easily. It's a socket with a web band attached that winds around the socket shaft and gets tighter as force is applied to the breaker bar or socket wrench.
 
Thread starter
I got it off spraying the seal of the filter with WD-40 and attacking it again with my channel lock oil filter wrench.

I bought one of those ratcheting filter wrenches didn’t help at all - channel lock did the trick.

Guys quick question; when do you check the oil level? My work truck the level must always be checked cold. I put in a gallon and before starting the bike it said I was overfilled. I started the bike let it run for 2-3mins and turned it off now I’m maybe a hairline above the lower sight glass line.

Figure I need to go get a bottle tomorrow and add cup or two more?
 
Anywhere between the top and bottom lines is fine.
 
peterbaron_imp said:
LEVEL, is the most important after ign off
Not really.

Just ensure after the fill, ride, cool, and settle that the level is between the recommended limits (as Cormanus suggested) on the dipstick. You don't need to be exact. In fact, you cannot.


Happy 2023 New Year!
 
Thread starter
Awesome thanks guys. Took it out for a 10mile drive and back she’s perfect in the middle.

Don’t think I needed to change the oil, but I did notice the GN4 oil “grabs” the friction zone a lot sooner than whatever was in it.
 
Jgarciajr40_imp said:
Awesome thanks guys. Took it out for a 10mile drive and back she’s perfect in the middle.

Don’t think I needed to change the oil, but I did notice the GN4 oil “grabs” the friction zone a lot sooner than whatever was in it.
Don't worry. Come the next "hot" long ride, that GN4 oil will be beaten down nice 'n' good.
 
Back
Top