oil change

Hmm did my first oil change on my EX (DLX) and did everything by the book and after the 2-3 min. wait, the oil level has not dropped to the specified level between the 2 stripes on the oil reader....

I only did an oil change, not an oil filter change, and I refilled it with 3.8 liters.
Thats about 1 gallon.

I started to refill after about 2.5 hours after I let it drain.

I already wanted to drain a bit of oil out from the bottom, but my father suggests I go for a little ride and see afterwards if it drops.
I do still have a 0.2 liters left since it was a 4 liter bottle.
 
Riko, my standard oil change uses 1 gallon (3.75L), and I always change the filter. After the change I run the engine then shut down and wait the 2-3 minutes and the level is just under the top line.

If you didn't change out the filter you that would leave a bit of extra oil in the system. Your oil level is probably just above the line. You could drain out a few ounces (~90 ML) or just not worry about it. Personally, I would probably drain a bit out, since not knowing the exact amount would drive me crazy. :D
 
Jim21680_imp said:
Did you remove the filter while draining? You'll get a bit out of there as well
nope, it was only an oil change, no filter change.
Flynrider_imp said:
Riko, my standard oil change uses 1 gallon (3.75L), and I always change the filter. After the change I run the engine then shut down and wait the 2-3 minutes and the level is just under the top line.

If you didn't change out the filter you that would leave a bit of extra oil in the system. Your oil level is probably just above the line. You could drain out a few ounces (~90 ML) or just not worry about it. Personally, I would probably drain a bit out, since not knowing the exact amount would drive me crazy. :D
jeps, did all that.

But it went wrong when I drained (or tried to drain) excess oil :)


So, its sunday and now I got no sufficient amount of oil and I am trying to search a (work)shop or ppl who have the same oil available today :)
 
I haven't tried this but it might be less messy if you over fill, you use some relatively small diameter tubing to siphon out the excess oil rather than remove the drain plug. We'd just have to be careful not to get a mouth full of oil to get the sihpon going. :)
 
lol I tried with some small diameter tubing, with a pump, didnt work, havend tried to suck it with my mouth though :)

but indeed, that would be a good investment instead of draining thru the bottom :)
 
On one of my oil changes (maybe the first) I overfilled with oil to the extent that the level was out of sight above the upper mark.
It bothered me so much that I backed off the drain plug and let it drip until the level came down to where I was comfortable.
It was a chancey thing to do as I had to back the plug out to almost the last thread. A bit more and then it would have been a disaster - but I got away with it and was more careful after that :P
 
Its all in the manual :)

Oil change every 6K
Oil filter change every 12K
OR each every year
Wich ever comes first, the miles run or the time interval.


Unless I reach 12K before December, I will do my filter in December, together with my oil, even though the oil change might be to soon.

It would be strange to change the filter without the oil (not possible I think to, since you have to drain the engine to change the filter I think) but not visa versa.
Rocky_imp said:
On one of my oil changes (maybe the first) I overfilled with oil to the extent that the level was out of sight above the upper mark.
It bothered me so much that I backed off the drain plug and let it drip until the level came down to where I was comfortable.
It was a chancey thing to do as I had to back the plug out to almost the last thread. A bit more and then it would have been a disaster - but I got away with it and was more careful after that :P
You just described my first oil change :-)

At my second change, it was a just a tiny bit above the upper marker, I would have let it as it is, but I still kept bothering me, so I decided to drain it again :)

This time I was much more careful, and like you said, back the plug out to the almost last thread.
I did release it a bit so the oil could run freely, but this time I didn't lose the bolt out of my gloves....I think I got the hold of it now for next time :thumbsup:
 
Wonder why specs are different in Europe for the same service/motor? Im pretty sure our changes are scheduled at 4k ( dont have my manual in hand.) not only are your services 50% longer ( this includes valve inspection I believe) yet you still get a warranty twice as long as we get in the states. Confuses the heck out of me.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Wonder why specs are different in Europe for the same service/motor? Im pretty sure our changes are scheduled at 4k ( dont have my manual in hand.) not only are your services 50% longer ( this includes valve inspection I believe) yet you still get a warranty twice as long as we get in the states. Confuses the heck out of me.
In kilometers the figures given by Riko are close to our mileage figures. The warranty difference does puzzle me. My Guzzi and Triumph came with two year warranties. Honda should have more confidence in the product.
 
redbirds_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Wonder why specs are different in Europe for the same service/motor? Im pretty sure our changes are scheduled at 4k ( dont have my manual in hand.) not only are your services 50% longer ( this includes valve inspection I believe) yet you still get a warranty twice as long as we get in the states. Confuses the heck out of me.
In kilometers the figures given by Riko are close to our mileage figures. The warranty difference does puzzle me. My Guzzi and Triumph came with two year warranties. Honda should have more confidence in the product.
In kilometers the figures given by Riko are close to our mileage figures. The warranty difference does puzzle me. My Guzzi and Triumph came with two year warranties. Honda should have more confidence in the product.
Oh duh! (forehead slap) right... km to miles. Yea, a two year warranty would be appropriate here too I would think since the rest of the world gets it.

When Kia came out with their 10 year 100,000 mi warranty on their cars, I thought Honda (since I drive Honda cars as well) and others would follow suit. Nope 3 years 36,000 which we usually burn up in 1 1/2 years.
 
Django_imp said:
I cannot see this in the German manual. Always change oil and filter together!
you dont have to believe me, but my manual is CRYSTAL clear on the matter

I did some translation on the picture

It shows, clearly, that the oil filter has to be changed every 12.000km/8.000mi or change it every year.
The engine oil is on the line above and states, every 6.000km, replace the oil.
or again, change it every year.
The first change should be at 1.000km.

And this is even more clear, look at the text in the red square


I'll translate that:

Required oil
Changing oil and replacing oil filter:
3,9 liter

Exclusively changing oil:
3,8 liter

There you have it, on black and white from my owners manual..they acknowledge a difference between 2 situations, changing only the oil or changing oil + oil filter.

So the German owers manual is different from my Belgian one even though we have an IDENTICAL bike? :rolleyes::dodgy:
The ferret_imp said:
Wonder why specs are different in Europe for the same service/motor? Im pretty sure our changes are scheduled at 4k ( dont have my manual in hand.) not only are your services 50% longer ( this includes valve inspection I believe) yet you still get a warranty twice as long as we get in the states. Confuses the heck out of me.
4k, you mean 4000 miles....this is even a bit longer, because 4000mi is 6400km, and as you can see we too require an oil change but every 6000km :)
So no panic, its more or less the same.

valve inspection is every 12.000km 7.500mi, the 7th line, just above the Oil schedule.

It are the oil filter intervals that are long, every 12.000km/ 8000mi.

What is strange is that Django from Germany says there is no difference oil+ filter schedule, wich would surprise me since we are all from the same continent and have the same bike.
Why would Honda differentiate between European countries, sounds illogical to me.

I would think he didnt look good at his manual.
redbirds_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Wonder why specs are different in Europe for the same service/motor? Im pretty sure our changes are scheduled at 4k ( dont have my manual in hand.) not only are your services 50% longer ( this includes valve inspection I believe) yet you still get a warranty twice as long as we get in the states. Confuses the heck out of me.
In kilometers the figures given by Riko are close to our mileage figures. The warranty difference does puzzle me. My Guzzi and Triumph came with two year warranties. Honda should have more confidence in the product.
In kilometers the figures given by Riko are close to our mileage figures. The warranty difference does puzzle me. My Guzzi and Triumph came with two year warranties. Honda should have more confidence in the product.
hmm how much warranty do you guys get for a new 'item' in the States?
This is different from manufacturer to manufacturer ?

Here in Europe this is ruled by a European 'law' wich guarantees that all new consumer goods must have 2 year warranty.

I did remember some years ago about an Apple product stating in the warranty papers we got 1 year warranty if I remember.
But this is fault and would not be excepted here in Europe, we got 2 years, no matter what Apple put on their papers.
The ferret_imp said:
redbirds_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Wonder why specs are different in Europe for the same service/motor? Im pretty sure our changes are scheduled at 4k ( dont have my manual in hand.) not only are your services 50% longer ( this includes valve inspection I believe) yet you still get a warranty twice as long as we get in the states. Confuses the heck out of me.
In kilometers the figures given by Riko are close to our mileage figures. The warranty difference does puzzle me. My Guzzi and Triumph came with two year warranties. Honda should have more confidence in the product.
In kilometers the figures given by Riko are close to our mileage figures. The warranty difference does puzzle me. My Guzzi and Triumph came with two year warranties. Honda should have more confidence in the product.
Oh duh! (forehead slap) right... km to miles. Yea, a two year warranty would be appropriate here too I would think since the rest of the world gets it.

When Kia came out with their 10 year 100,000 mi warranty on their cars, I thought Honda (since I drive Honda cars as well) and others would follow suit. Nope 3 years 36,000 which we usually burn up in 1 1/2 years.
In kilometers the figures given by Riko are close to our mileage figures. The warranty difference does puzzle me. My Guzzi and Triumph came with two year warranties. Honda should have more confidence in the product.
Oh duh! (forehead slap) right... km to miles. Yea, a two year warranty would be appropriate here too I would think since the rest of the world gets it.

When Kia came out with their 10 year 100,000 mi warranty on their cars, I thought Honda (since I drive Honda cars as well) and others would follow suit. Nope 3 years 36,000 which we usually burn up in 1 1/2 years.
just read your Eureka moment :)

Yeah, nobody beats Kia in the warranty department, amazing really.
I think here in Europe Toyota offers 5 years warranty too.
 
A lot of those car companies found it did nothing for their sales and just increased their warranty liability (Chrysler killed their program off after only a few years). It's basically just a marketing tool to show you have faith in products the market had deemed to be unreliable. The major Japanese companies don't really need it, as it's somewhat common knowledge you can buy a Toyota or Honda and basically never need the warranty anyway.
 
I always change oil and filter together. If you oil is dirty then so is your filter! And since the filter costs about as much as a qt of oil its not a huge investment

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
 
I honestly don't know anyone who just changes the oil and not the filter, even if that's what the manual calls for?
 
I know people who do the opposite -- the idea being that modern synthetics can go a pretty long way, but you still need to clear the particulates in the oil. Changing the oil without changing the oil just doesn't make sense to me though.
 
kmoney_imp said:
I know people who do the opposite -- the idea being that modern synthetics can go a pretty long way, but you still need to clear the particulates in the oil. Changing the oil without changing the oil just doesn't make sense to me though.
Yea, what you said doesn't make sense to me either :rofl:
 
The ferret_imp said:
kmoney_imp said:
I know people who do the opposite -- the idea being that modern synthetics can go a pretty long way, but you still need to clear the particulates in the oil. Changing the oil without changing the oil just doesn't make sense to me though.
Yea, what you said doesn't make sense to me either :rofl:
Yea, what you said doesn't make sense to me either :rofl: Doh! My brain never seems to work when typing on my mobile phone.
 
Back
Top