the Ferret
Road warrior
you can probably realize when some people are talking metric though... (unlike me :blush: )
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

So first time I did mine I got ready to do battle and it just came right off. Weird stuff sometimes 
You can say that again! When I did my oil change at 600 miles my "usual" filter wrench wouldn't touch it. I bought one of those slip on type that you use a 3/8 ratchet with and immediately broke the spot welds on the tool. Then I purchased a large offset plier type wrench from O'Reilly's and with a lot of effort the filter broke loose. I have no idea why that filter was torqued so tightly.Lord Popgun_imp said:Ryan, there have been reports of tight filters since the bike came out. Guess you got oneSo first time I did mine I got ready to do battle and it just came right off. Weird stuff sometimes
![]()


To me, it looks like they failed to machine (or mask during paint) the mating surface for the o-ring.ryanschillinger_imp said:I tried my pretty stout strap type filter wrench and felt like I was going to break it. The filter pliers ended up getting it loose after trying a bunch of different angles and slipping. Even with the teeth that dig into the filter. I'll try to post a pic but the mounting surface on the engine is actually gouged from the filter being cranked on so tight. The filter housing was tightened into the block!

We are all assuming the oil bottles are exactly 1 qt, or exactly 1 Gal. That might explain the slight difference?The ferret_imp said:A couple, myself included put in 4 qts and the oil is over the upper hash mark and at the top of the window. I find this interesting...and a bit confusing :huh:
Yes that's correct and a good policy. Also that image where the paint is gouged, that's just plain wrong. That surface should have been machined smooth.Lord Popgun_imp said:I, personally, never go by the specified amount. I put in oil, and go by the dipstick, then run, wait a time, then recheck. One reason is I always pre-oil the filter so there is already some oil in there.
Plus, you can never get ALL the oil out of pretty much any engine.
Always works well on cars and bikes. On 4 strokes outboards though it is very easy to over fill so you have to know the proper technique.
Thought that's what motorcycle forums were for ...Ulvetanna_imp said:Yes that's correct and a good policy. Also that image where the paint is gouged, that's just plain wrong. That surface should have been machined smooth.Lord Popgun_imp said:I, personally, never go by the specified amount. I put in oil, and go by the dipstick, then run, wait a time, then recheck. One reason is I always pre-oil the filter so there is already some oil in there.
Plus, you can never get ALL the oil out of pretty much any engine.
Always works well on cars and bikes. On 4 strokes outboards though it is very easy to over fill so you have to know the proper technique.
Another question, what is wrong with buying an oil filter wrench?; you can get one at any decent auto parts store. All these pliers and strap wrenches, they slip, damage your bike, damage your skin. I use the Honda tool but the same size can be had almost anywhere filter wrenches are sold. Just take your new filter to the auto parts store and match it up before doing the work.
Dang on this site I have seen more guys have problems with oil filters and oil...
Thought that's what motorcycle forums were for ... I think you are right.Cormanus_imp said:Thought that's what motorcycle forums were for ...Ulvetanna_imp said:Yes that's correct and a good policy. Also that image where the paint is gouged, that's just plain wrong. That surface should have been machined smooth.Lord Popgun_imp said:I, personally, never go by the specified amount. I put in oil, and go by the dipstick, then run, wait a time, then recheck. One reason is I always pre-oil the filter so there is already some oil in there.
Plus, you can never get ALL the oil out of pretty much any engine.
Always works well on cars and bikes. On 4 strokes outboards though it is very easy to over fill so you have to know the proper technique.
Another question, what is wrong with buying an oil filter wrench?; you can get one at any decent auto parts store. All these pliers and strap wrenches, they slip, damage your bike, damage your skin. I use the Honda tool but the same size can be had almost anywhere filter wrenches are sold. Just take your new filter to the auto parts store and match it up before doing the work.
Dang on this site I have seen more guys have problems with oil filters and oil...