oil change

Yea Ive had to take a hammer before and beat around the edge to get them off of filters.
 
Yeah, I was using the wrench because it was still quite hot down there...these damned air cooled engines take forever to cool down in 95 degree heat... I put it on just right, no cranking on it. I like the idea of removing a little inside the wrench to make it come off easier...

BTW, I love my air cooled engine... tick tick tick...
 
this genuine Honda filter wrench has a 10mm nut welded to the filter cup so it slips into tight places. it does not have a 3/8" square drive. the wrench/socket size is 17 mm hex with the hole in the nut threaded 10mmx1.25 pitch. if the filter gets stuck in the cup you just thread a 10 mm bolt into the welded nut and this pushes out the filter from the cup.it pays to have and use the correct factory tool. Paul.
 
I put my filters on ½ turn past the gasket touching on all of my vehicles. Never a leak and I don't need a filter wrench to remove them.
When I did my first oil change I had to use the plier type filter removal tool and damn near had to crush the filter to get it off it was so tight.
 
It was on there too tight. That's why I care.
 
Does anyone know if Honda M/C’s leave the factory without oil, and it then becomes the responsibility of the selling dealer to fill it up?

If so, that might account for the variations in the tightness of drain plugs and filters.

The new Cummins 6bt-5.9 diesel I bought for my boat was crated and shipped without oil. When the dealer was just about ready to run it for the first time he called me to talk about what oil to use.

Mike
 
Honda engines come with oil. They are test run at the factory.
 
I recently changed the oil and filter on CB1100 and can verify that the same thing happens as it did to Ferret's ST in terms of oil level being high after short ride. The first photo is when I returned home from 25 minute commute from work. The second photo is by service manual's procedure to check oil level: Start bike and idle for 3-5 minutes, shut off engine and wait 2-3 minutes and check level. Both photos are with bike on center stand.
BTW, I had to drain oil after originally changing it because 4.1 quarts had filled sight glass even with checking oil according to service manual's procedure. Both photos are after some oil was drained out.
I find it weird how the oil level changes based on whether you check it after a short ride or by service manual's procedure....
 
The ferret_imp said:
Honda engines come with oil. They are test run at the factory.
I lot of people believe that motorcycles come partly assembled and that is why some dealers have healthy "prep charges". But after the outer cover is removed, this photo shows how most are shipped to prevent damage.

 
Wolverine_imp said:
I recently changed the oil and filter on CB1100 and can verify that the same thing happens as it did to Ferret's ST in terms of oil level being high after short ride. The first photo is when I returned home from 25 minute commute from work. The second photo is by service manual's procedure to check oil level: Start bike and idle for 3-5 minutes, shut off engine and wait 2-3 minutes and check level. Both photos are with bike on center stand.
BTW, I had to drain oil after originally changing it because 4.1 quarts had filled sight glass even with checking oil according to service manual's procedure. Both photos are after some oil was drained out.
I find it weird how the oil level changes based on whether you check it after a short ride or by service manual's procedure....
When using the motorcycle to go to work over a distance sufficient to bring the oil temperature, the oil volume increases and consequently the level exceeds the upper mark on the glass.
If you turn on the bike and warm up the engine for five minutes, then turn it off and wait three minutes to measure the oil level, there is the level on the correct sign as indicated in the operating manual, must be careful not to remove the oil when it exceeds maximum level if it is hot, is not correct.:thumbsup:
 
Interesting point Andor, one I will have to ponder.
 
Wolverine_imp said:
I recently changed the oil and filter on CB1100 and can verify that the same thing happens as it did to Ferret's ST in terms of oil level being high after short ride. The first photo is when I returned home from 25 minute commute from work. The second photo is by service manual's procedure to check oil level: Start bike and idle for 3-5 minutes, shut off engine and wait 2-3 minutes and check level. Both photos are with bike on center stand.
BTW, I had to drain oil after originally changing it because 4.1 quarts had filled sight glass even with checking oil according to service manual's procedure. Both photos are after some oil was drained out.
I find it weird how the oil level changes based on whether you check it after a short ride or by service manual's procedure....
As mentioned by ferret and also myself in previous oil discussions, you never refill an engine to its stated capacity. Some old oil always remains inside an engine you are draining the oil from. It's a fact of life. I believe we found 3 to 4 ounces less than what the owner's manual states for an oil change. Otherwise, the sight glass will confirm an overfill condition.
 
When I worked at a dealership in the early 80's, bikes were shipped with the forks attached to the crate frame, front wheel was off. Handlebars were off, (so all the control cables were too). There could be up to an hour of assembly (or more) to get them road worthy.
 
Let some out...:P
 
It's not going to be neat or easy, but very slowly opening the drain plug when oil is cold and let a few ounces out, then re-tighten and check the level again.
 
Reading this oil thread because I've got nothing better to do, and I've been convinced to do it myself, for the first time ever, next time. I only found out there WAS a 'sight' today. Thanks for pic.

If you put 4 quarts in after draining, and the sight shows it's over the maximum - does it REALLY matter?

Another question: when it gets really hot - like when i cracked the oil filter on a rock when i was off-roading it and it started leaking - unbeknownst to me. Or when I was racing it the other week - it 'weeps' from the head gasket - really small amounts of oil. Now I know where the oil sight is I will keep mt eye on it. But new head gasket change? Surely not.
 
It shouldn't really matter if your slightly over -- 4 quarts isn't really over anyway and I'm sure the level will go down to normal after you run it for a bit.

As for head gasket, I'm assuming you mean the valve cover gasket at the top? You could try snugging the valve cover bolts up a bit, but if it is the actual head gasket, that's a different ballgame.
 
The problem is once it's over the sight glass, is that you don't really know just how much overfilled you are. It could be 3 ounces, it could be much more depending on how much originally drained out, so I would advise to take some out so you at least see the "top line" somewhere in the glass.
 
Back
Top