oil change

Don't look for automotive oils (mostly) to put in your bike. Only some diesel oils will work in a bike with a wet clutch, and even then not all of them.
Get yourself a good synthetic moto oil and ride to your hearts content.
 
The ferret_imp said:
They havent recommended energy conserving oils in motorcycles for years because the additives mess up the wet clutch
I've heard that before. Certain friction modifiers were not compatible with some clutch material.
I looked on some oil related sites and I think another reason is that motorcycle specific oils have a higher phosphorous content (ZDDP) giving them better wear characteristics needed in the air cooled engine.
Randy B_imp said:
Don't look for automotive oils (mostly) to put in your bike. Only some diesel oils will work in a bike with a wet clutch, and even then not all of them.
Get yourself a good synthetic moto oil and ride to your hearts content.
Walmart sells moto specific oils. If they are out of stock they will deliver to the store of your choice for pickup from their website. They have great prices on oil but their filters are very pricey, I usually get my Bosch filters at Advance auto.
 
The absolutely perfectly correct, manufacturer recommend oil for this $11,000 motorcycle is Pro Honda GN4 10-W-30, which my dealer sells for $6.20 per qt., minus my 10% discount for having purchased my $11,000 motorcycle from them. Net cost $5.58 per qt.

How much are you going to save buying your oil at WalMart? (Autozone, NAPA, etc.) scratching your head wondering did you get the right oil? Really. The old saying "penny wise and dollar foolish" comes to mind.
 
Did my first oil change using GN4 and Honda filter. Whoever initially filled it , and put on the filter did a crappy job. Original oil level was above the window and for a while I wasn't sure I'd be able to remove the filter. But it eneded well and 4 gallons, minus a few spilled drops of oil, put the oil level just above the mark after running the engine 10 minutes.
 
Honda GN-4 oil is the least expensive oil that Honda has long offered (it has been around at least 20 years) for its wide range of motorcycles. It meets the minimum requirements that Honda dictates for the motorcycles it manufactures. There are numerous motorcycle oils that are better (including Honda HP4), and no doubt some that are worse. The best resource that I have found for learning more about motorcycle oils is here:

Motor Oil Information
 
Yoyodyne_imp said:
Honda GN-4 oil is the least expensive oil that Honda has long offered (it has been around at least 20 years) for its wide range of motorcycles. It meets the minimum requirements that Honda dictates for the motorcycles it manufactures. There are numerous motorcycle oils that are better (including Honda HP4), and no doubt some that are worse. The best resource that I have found for learning more about motorcycle oils is here:

Motor Oil Information
Good article. A lot of good information.
 
Friends , I just did my oil change and I poured the whole 4 Qt of 10-40 Honda recommended Oil. But to my dismay I feel the engine is heating up a bit more , Not sure about the cause . Went to play tennis with my shorts on (no jeans and all) and I could feel the heat from the engine very badly ... Any suggestions Friends ???
 
Nano Tech_imp said:
Friends , I just did my oil change and I poured the whole 4 Qt of 10-40 Honda recommended Oil. But to my dismay I feel the engine is heating up a bit more , Not sure about the cause . Went to play tennis with my shorts on (no jeans and all) and I could feel the heat from the engine very badly ... Any suggestions Friends ???
To be totally honest with you:

put your pants back on !

seriously, if there were a temperature problem, most likely the 'High Oil Temperature' warning light would turn on.
 
furious_blue_imp said:
Nano Tech_imp said:
Friends , I just did my oil change and I poured the whole 4 Qt of 10-40 Honda recommended Oil. But to my dismay I feel the engine is heating up a bit more , Not sure about the cause . Went to play tennis with my shorts on (no jeans and all) and I could feel the heat from the engine very badly ... Any suggestions Friends ???
To be totally honest with you:

put your pants back on !

seriously, if there were a temperature problem, most likely the 'High Oil Temperature' warning light would turn on.
To be totally honest with you:

put your pants back on !

seriously, if there were a temperature problem, most likely the 'High Oil Temperature' warning light would turn on.
@Furious... you have got a nice sense of humor.... Thanks for the advice Though .... :)

Cheers !!!!!!!!!
 
Well furious has a point. The pants, be they jeans or riding pants have insulation qualities that protect you from the heat. Think this bike is hot? Try riding an ST1300 without proper riding pants in the summer.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Well furious has a point. The pants, be they jeans or riding pants have insulation qualities that protect you from the heat. Think this bike is hot? Try riding an ST1300 without proper riding pants in the summer.
Hi Ferret ,
Thanks , But the reason why brought this point was , I rode my bike with shorts-on several times before and I never felt this hot like yesterday .... May be I am hallucianting in broad daylight ....Thought of clarifying , cause this is the first time that i am doing something by my own like changing the oil and thought I messed up something ...

Also-- Thanks a lot for the comprehensive step by step instrction for the 600-Miles servicing ....
 
glad the instructions could help. This bike is so simple to change oil pn its really hard to mess it up so Im sure you did fine.

Hmmm, Is it any hotter out , where you are now, than when you rode it before? My sources say it came with 10w 40 in it, so if you put 10/40 back in it, there should be no difference in heat the engine emits.

I run GN4 10w40 in mine and it was stinking hot this week riding when we weren't in the mountains. 75 degrees in the mountains, 95 degrees when we came down in the valleys. Wouldn't have wanted to be wearing shorts when riding in the valleys, thats for sure.
 
Nanotech, it might be because you had your shorts on. Air cooled engines gets hot in second , try opening the throttle up while you are cruising for a quick acceleration and you can feel her roaring up and building up some good heat in a flash, she is a big air cooled 4 that's why. nothing to worry about.
 
The ferret_imp said:
glad the instructions could help. This bike is so simple to change oil pn its really hard to mess it up so Im sure you did fine.

Hmmm, Is it any hotter out , where you are now, than when you rode it before? My sources say it came with 10w 40 in it, so if you put 10/40 back in it, there should be no difference in heat the engine emits.

I run GN4 10w40 in mine and it was stinking hot this week riding when we weren't in the mountains. 75 degrees in the mountains, 95 degrees when we came down in the valleys. Wouldn't have wanted to be wearing shorts when riding in the valleys, thats for sure.
Hi Ferret ....I am In Napervile IL and it's quite hot here and I use the exact oil (GN4 10w40 ) that you are referring . Any ways let's see . After all the advices from all of you I think it's nothing to worry abt...I will Plan for a trip tomorrow ... .....
wildezt_imp said:
Nanotech, it might be because you had your shorts on. Air cooled engines gets hot in second , try opening the throttle up while you are cruising for a quick acceleration and you can feel her roaring up and building up some good heat in a flash, she is a big air cooled 4 that's why. nothing to worry about.
Thanks Wildezt ......Very Nice piece of advice .....
 
I know people do but I'll never ride in shorts. Not condemning anyone. Their choice. Boots, gloves, long pants, glasses & lid @ a minimum for me. Even 1/2 mile trip to store.
 
Nano Tech_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
glad the instructions could help. This bike is so simple to change oil pn its really hard to mess it up so Im sure you did fine.

Hmmm, Is it any hotter out , where you are now, than when you rode it before? My sources say it came with 10w 40 in it, so if you put 10/40 back in it, there should be no difference in heat the engine emits.

I run GN4 10w40 in mine and it was stinking hot this week riding when we weren't in the mountains. 75 degrees in the mountains, 95 degrees when we came down in the valleys. Wouldn't have wanted to be wearing shorts when riding in the valleys, thats for sure.
Hi Ferret ....I am In Napervile IL and it's quite hot here and I use the exact oil (GN4 10w40 ) that you are referring . Any ways let's see . After all the advices from all of you I think it's nothing to worry abt...I will Plan for a trip tomorrow ... .....
wildezt_imp said:
Nanotech, it might be because you had your shorts on. Air cooled engines gets hot in second , try opening the throttle up while you are cruising for a quick acceleration and you can feel her roaring up and building up some good heat in a flash, she is a big air cooled 4 that's why. nothing to worry about.
Thanks Wildezt ......Very Nice piece of advice .....
NP at all Nano Tech!

FUZZY_imp said:
I know people do but I'll never ride in shorts. Not condemning anyone. Their choice. Boots, gloves, long pants, glasses & lid @ a minimum for me. Even 1/2 mile trip to store.
+100, you never know what comes around that corner, or what flies into your eyes.
 
wildezt_imp said:
Nano Tech_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
glad the instructions could help. This bike is so simple to change oil pn its really hard to mess it up so Im sure you did fine.

Hmmm, Is it any hotter out , where you are now, than when you rode it before? My sources say it came with 10w 40 in it, so if you put 10/40 back in it, there should be no difference in heat the engine emits.

I run GN4 10w40 in mine and it was stinking hot this week riding when we weren't in the mountains. 75 degrees in the mountains, 95 degrees when we came down in the valleys. Wouldn't have wanted to be wearing shorts when riding in the valleys, thats for sure.
Hi Ferret ....I am In Napervile IL and it's quite hot here and I use the exact oil (GN4 10w40 ) that you are referring . Any ways let's see . After all the advices from all of you I think it's nothing to worry abt...I will Plan for a trip tomorrow ... .....
wildezt_imp said:
Nanotech, it might be because you had your shorts on. Air cooled engines gets hot in second , try opening the throttle up while you are cruising for a quick acceleration and you can feel her roaring up and building up some good heat in a flash, she is a big air cooled 4 that's why. nothing to worry about.
Thanks Wildezt ......Very Nice piece of advice .....
NP at all Nano Tech!

FUZZY_imp said:
I know people do but I'll never ride in shorts. Not condemning anyone. Their choice. Boots, gloves, long pants, glasses & lid @ a minimum for me. Even 1/2 mile trip to store.
+100, you never know what comes around that corner, or what flies into your eyes.
NP at all Nano Tech!

FUZZY_imp said:
I know people do but I'll never ride in shorts. Not condemning anyone. Their choice. Boots, gloves, long pants, glasses & lid @ a minimum for me. Even 1/2 mile trip to store.
+100, you never know what comes around that corner, or what flies into your eyes.

Frankly speaking fuzzy/wildezt...I respect all of your advices and will try to stick to them....Just FYI I was wearing helmet...
 
Just got done with my first change of oil. Oil plug was so loose I felt no effort in starting it and it came all the way out by hand. Used an extension on my filter, it too was ridiculously easy to start, and I was able to get it off with no trouble.

Sadly, the stupid filter wrench decided to be difficult after putting on the new filter, and wouldn't come off without some percussive maintenance.

Took 4 quarts and so far, its right above the full line, but that was after a short ride. I'll wring it or tomorrow.
 
Obliviontoad_imp said:
Just got done with my first change of oil. Oil plug was so loose I felt no effort in starting it and it came all the way out by hand. Used an extension on my filter, it too was ridiculously easy to start, and I was able to get it off with no trouble.

Sadly, the stupid filter wrench decided to be difficult after putting on the new filter, and wouldn't come off without some percussive maintenance.

Took 4 quarts and so far, its right above the full line, but that was after a short ride. I'll wring it or tomorrow.
Should only hand tighten new filter.
 
My filter wrench is the Imperial IF-6514 and it was so tight I could not get on off the old filter and had to remove the socket handle and thread the whole assembly (filter and wrench) out between the pipes. Then when I tried it on the new filter I had no confidence I could get the wrench off when I was done tightening it.

Now although Car Talk's Ray Magliozzi has no use for a Dremel Motor Tool, I can assure you I do. I got out the old Dremel with a grinding stone and took about .003" off the inside surfaces of filter wrench.

My filter is installed to spec. and the wrench came off with a little back pressure on the socket handle. Here is a photo of my wrench.
 
Back
Top