Oil Additives... Yes or No???

I am not a fan of oil additives. If the additive made the oil better, the mfr would have put it in at the get. On every bike I've ever owned, at the first oil change I put in Castrol 20w 40, which was recommended by a gearhead I knew when I first started riding my own bike, and this includes replacing synthetic oil. The bike ran better, revved quicker, was quieter, with less vibration. Of course, this is all seat-ot-the-pants data, but it has worked for me for 50 years.
 
I once met a gentleman who was a Chemical Engineer who designed additive packages for Oil companies. He told me to buy Good motor oil and never add anything to it. My 2 cents is simply use what the manufacturer specs and buy quality oil.
 
I always have the problem of putting the right amount of oil in the engine.
lately I have put Lit. 3, 85 of Motul 7100 10w30 and the level, even after 1 hour, is all full, to see the level go down to the upper limit I have to wait 1/2 day when the engine is completely cold.
To get the right level when the engine is warm, how much oil do you EXACTLY put?
Thank you
 
Enzofour_imp said:
I always have the problem of putting the right amount of oil in the engine.
lately I have put Lit. 3, 85 of Motul 7100 10w30 and the level, even after 1 hour, is all full, to see the level go down to the upper limit I have to wait 1/2 day when the engine is completely cold.
To get the right level when the engine is warm, how much oil do you EXACTLY put?
Thank you
On the CB1100 I do what you started to do:

Add oil to cold engine until sight glass range is satisfied (i.e. somewhere between the lower and upper markers). I don't fill to the upper indicator.

Run the engine until hot, turn off, go make a sandwich and salad with olive oil ( <-- maybe add some balsamic vinegar to the oil ), eat the sandwich, wash it down with something satisfying, come back to the lump, check the level, and top up to near the upper indicator - if necessary.

Then, Bob's yer uncle. I never over-think this procedure. It is not a procedure that is technically precise and needs not be.
 
I love oil threads. Two questions I always ask myself:

1. Have I ever experienced an engine failure? Nope.
2. When I take my car for an oil change, do I obsess about what oil they use? Nope. And heck, my car is worth a lot more than my motorcycle.

There’s an old YouTube video of Charlie Boorman who filled the crankcase of a clapped-out Honda 50 Cub with used vegetable oil. The exhaust smelled like French fries but the bike ran just fine (don’t try this at home). He later chucked the bike off a three-story building. It landed in a heap but the engine started right up. Typical Honda.
 
LongRanger_imp said:
I love oil threads. Two questions I always ask myself:

1. Have I ever experienced an engine failure? Nope.
2. When I take my car for an oil change, do I obsess about what oil they use? Nope. And heck, my car is worth a lot more than my motorcycle.

There’s an old YouTube video of Charlie Boorman who filled the crankcase of a clapped-out Honda 50 Cub with used vegetable oil. The exhaust smelled like French fries but the bike ran just fine (don’t try this at home). He later chucked the bike off a three-story building. It landed in a heap but the engine started right up. Typical Honda.

You are SO right !
 
I put over 95,000 miles on my 2014 CB. Never used an additive, only use regular 10/40 Honda oil and Honda filters. Never had a problem.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
 
MMC_imp said:
I put over 95,000 miles on my 2014 CB. Never used an additive, only use regular 10/40 Honda oil and Honda filters. Never had a problem.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
Solid. No sellin' that CB1100 now. Much of your soul is with it.
 
This shouldn't be hard Enzofour, straight from the owners manual depending on what you are doing, quantities below. Honda will assume your engine is reasonably cool as you are working on the bike and your new oil will be at an ambient temperature.

After draining 4.0 US qt (3.8 L)
or
After draining & engine oil filter change 4.1 US qt (3.9 L)
or
disassembly 5.2 US qt (4.9 L)

For example, if you did an oil and filter change you could refill 3.7L and hold back the last 200ml or so then use the procedure in the owners manual if you wished.

1. If the engine is cold, idle the engine for 3 to 5 minutes.
2. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position and wait for 2 to 3 minutes.
3. Place your motorcycle on its center stand on a firm, level surface.
4. Check that the oil level is between the upper level and lower level marks in the oil level inspection window.

If it is at the lower level or below just top up until you reach your desired level, which can be anywhere between the upper and lower level. I would hazard a guess most people would tend to top off to the higher level.
 
Back
Top