Oh my...Triumph Thruxtons

Thread starter
Riko_imp said:
so the thruxton r has the same hp as the thruxton? 96?
Only 6 more than the cb?
Yes and about 20 more ft lbs of torque, but the thing is the old Thruxton's and Bonneville's had 30 horsepower LESS than the CB. So that is a substantial hp gain. Plus they get 17" wheels and abs std, 6 speed trans and a claimed 61mpg.

It's going to be a tough player in the retro game!
 
yeah I know the retro triumphs beats the cb in every tech department and in figures, but I thought the r version had more hp, like 110-120, I emember reading somewhere...guess I was wrong.

i still love the look of our cb's more, and the radiators on the triumphs suck hard!!
 
Thread starter
well apparently the std T120 is only going to have 80 crank horsepower vs the Thruxtons 96. That's a shame for Triumph riders.
 
I was looking at the 2014 Thruxton and put about 250 miles on a rental before deciding on a CB.. The new ones I bet will sell but I don't see that motor being near as smooth..(obviously). At $14k we're getting a bit high
 
There is supposed to be a 'race kit' available for the Thruxton R eventually; I'm guessing that will probably push it toward the 100HP mark. If its chassis and components can cash the cheques its looks are writing, that bike is gonna be a total winner.
 
As a previous owner of a 2012 Triumph Speedmaster, I think the new Triumphs and especially the Thruxtons look great! Unfortunately IMHO the CB1100 is a better bike in everyway!
 
What REALLY got my attention was the claimed weight of the Thruxton R at 448 pounds dry. That's 12 horses more with the new motor at almost 100 pounds lighter than the CB. THAT'S significant. Will it get me to trade the CB?. Not hardly and for the following reasons. 1) I can find no major fault with the CB. 2) I actually like the styling of the CB better 3) As a starting point for customization towards a café bike I think the CB is a better raw platform (as demonstrated by the bikes many readers here have built). This in spite of the fact that on Triumphs website it states there are 160 items available to customize the Thruxtons (I think I read that right). I prob won't even go test ride one since the CB is all the motor I want and more importantly, can handle ("a man's got to know his limitations"). I do like the shape of the tank on those Triumphs and believe they did a decent job with the radiator, making it look thin at least. Kinda could pass for a vertical oil cooler. Where I think they missed is with the gold forks and rear shocks. That's anything but retro and reminds me of the Accords, Mazda's and Toyota Camry's with the gold accent packages from the early 80's. I think they will sell a lot of these bikes. I'm having a hard time pinning down the actual prices as Triumphs website doesn't state them for the 2016 Thruxton or the R version. I'm seeing $14-$15.5K elsewhere and that range opens a lot of options beyond the retro market.
 
I've got a Thruxton R on order, hope to get it in April, and will do a full report! Just as it is for our CB's, Spec sheet stuff is irrelevant, it's how the bike looks and feels, and just get a hold of this week's MCN for the scoop on that.

As for the experience so far, Honda could really learn a lesson from Triumph on the marketing, customer outreach and accessories available for their retro bikes. More to come on that in a subsequent post.
Here are the accessories available, right at launch, for the new Bonneville lineup.

https://jacklilleytriumph.files.wordpress.com/2015/12/bonneville_accessories_brochure.pdf




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Capo_imp said:
I've got a Thruxton R on order, hope to get it in April, and will do a full report! Just as it is for our CB's, Spec sheet stuff is irrelevant, it's how the bike looks and feels, and just get a hold of this week's MCN for the scoop on that.

As for the experience so far, Honda could really learn a lesson from Triumph on the marketing, customer outreach and accessories available for their retro bikes. More to come on that in a subsequent post.
Here are the accessories available, right at launch, for the new Bonneville lineup.

https://jacklilleytriumph.files.wordpress.com/2015/12/bonneville_accessories_brochure.pdf




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I can't wait to hear about it. And I agree with you on Honda needing to catch up with Triumph on the accessories and marketing! I love my CB, but sure wish it had the factory ready accessories/kits.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Not bad, but the bike could really do without the tall tail end — just too much space between the rear fender and the tire. While Triumph hid it as best they could, I also really don't care for the radiator, but do understand that without it the performance gains would not have been fully realized. I do like the stated weight of the bike.

Regardless of what I think, I'm sure that these will sell well for Triumph and in the end I'm all for motorcycles that still mange to look like "motorcycles".
 
I agree it would be cool for Honda to offer accessories, but I doubt it will really happen. Probably half of Triumph's business is "new classics" whereas Honda has basically the CB alone and then focuses other stuff.
 
kmoney_imp said:
I agree it would be cool for Honda to offer accessories, but I doubt it will really happen. Probably half of Triumph's business is "new classics" whereas Honda has basically the CB alone and then focuses other stuff.
I'd argue that the lack of focus is the problem. List virtually every bike Honda has put out over the last five years: CB, VFR, CTX, Gold Wing bagger, Interceptor. You can buy 2 and 3 year old models, still in the crates or collecting dust on the sales floor, for 40% off list price. They put out nice bikes, don't market them, don't offer accessories, over price them, and let them drop in the market.

I get it, they sell 4 million bikes a year in India, but they desperately need to focus on enthusiasts with their specialty bikes in the US. IMHO, of course.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
The following electronic gadgets are impressive though:
- digtal display
- usb connection
- traction control
- electronic slipper (something like that)
- ride by wire
- as a consequense of the previous -> riding modes
- stock heated grips

Could be I even forgot a few things...

They also have a 6th gear BTW.

Not all those things are available on the base model, their Street Twin, but most things are, so I assume all are stock on the Thruxton R.

But still, for me the CB is more than enough bike and those gadgets are not necessities for my kind of riding (or for that kind of bike, imo)
 
Riko_imp said:
The following electronic gadgets are impressive though:
- digtal display
- usb connection
- traction control
- electronic slipper (something like that)
- ride by wire
- as a consequense of the previous -> riding modes
- stock heated grips

Could be I even forgot a few things...

They also have a 6th gear BTW.

Not all those things are available on the base model, their Street Twin, but most things are, so I assume all are stock on the Thruxton R.

But still, for me the CB is more than enough bike and those gadgets are not necessities for my kind of riding (or for that kind of bike, imo)
Actually, Riko, of all the things you listed, the only one that comes for the Street Twin is the USB socket! :D All other gizmos are reserved for the premium models (where they are mostly stock)
 
Nice looking bikes, glad to see Triumph is still in the game and building good bikes. Proud heritage.
I am so tired of seeing nothing but cruisers and Starbucks Adventure bikes on the road.
 
Riko_imp said:
The following electronic gadgets are impressive though:
- digtal display
- usb connection
- traction control
- electronic slipper (something like that)
- ride by wire
- as a consequense of the previous -> riding modes
- stock heated grips

Could be I even forgot a few things...

They also have a 6th gear BTW.

Not all those things are available on the base model, their Street Twin, but most things are, so I assume all are stock on the Thruxton R.

But still, for me the CB is more than enough bike and those gadgets are not necessities for my kind of riding (or for that kind of bike, imo)
Makes sense that they would add the modern electronics to the new line of 1200cc classic bikes (Thruxton & T120). The Tiger 800 and Tiger Explorer got the electronic updates last year, so I guess they are working their way through the product line.

Looks like all their models have ABS (required in Europe?), but their cruisers, sport bikes, and the old classics (seems redundant) lack the new electronics.
 
alphonsus_imp said:
Riko_imp said:
The following electronic gadgets are impressive though:
- digtal display
- usb connection
- traction control
- electronic slipper (something like that)
- ride by wire
- as a consequense of the previous -> riding modes
- stock heated grips

Could be I even forgot a few things...

They also have a 6th gear BTW.

Not all those things are available on the base model, their Street Twin, but most things are, so I assume all are stock on the Thruxton R.

But still, for me the CB is more than enough bike and those gadgets are not necessities for my kind of riding (or for that kind of bike, imo)
Actually, Riko, of all the things you listed, the only one that comes for the Street Twin is the USB socket! :D All other gizmos are reserved for the premium models (where they are mostly stock)
nope: http://www.triumphmotorcycles.be/motoren/Classics/Street-Twin/2016/Street-Twin

at least in Belgium (Europe), maybe its different elsewhere?

Bottom of that product link: ABS, Traction C, slipper assist, USB, digital display (can see the picture)

I assume no: ride modes, heated grips since they are not mentioned.

The ride by wire is stoch on all their new retro's I assume, could be wrong about this one :)
 
Back
Top