Numbers

Guth_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
I was reading a thread elsewhere on this forum started by someone that just bought a CB1100. He was hoping for a lower VIN number, but did get the bike for a great price. It got me to thinking about numbers as they apply to the CB1100, motorcycling, and to life.

$9,999: That was the price I paid for my CB1100. (MSRP at the time.)

97: The "VIN number" of my CB1100. (At the moment, I can't remember all of the other letters and digits that precede the 97.)

24: The most important number associated with my CB1100. (This is the number of months that I've been able to enjoy my CB thus far, and counting.)

Long after $9,999 seems like chump change for a bike; Long after VIN numbers are contained in a microchip embedded into the frame (or a in a hologram, or some other technology I can't imagine); Long after motorcycles as we know them today have been replaced by electric bikes, the thing that will have mattered to most to me about my CB1100 is how much I was able to enjoy it.

People can always hold out for a lower price or a lower VIN number for that matter. There is nothing wrong with that. But on the flip side of things, finances willing: the sooner the better. None of us has any idea how much time we have actually have left on this planet to enjoy life and all that comes with it. Even if I knew back in 2013 that come 2015 I could pick up a new CB1100 for say $5,000 (half of what I paid back in 2013) I wouldn't trade out the past 24 months with the CB for such savings. It's just been such a great ride so far — both literally and figuratively.

That might be getting a bit deep and I didn't even ride my CB1100 today (the Hawk GT was chosen for that duty instead). However, when I got home to my family tonight we celebrated another number: 53. That's the number of years that I've now been around. 53 isn't exactly all that old. But I have now officially spent more time on this planet than my dad did. I watched him give up motorcycling due to the inherit dangers only to end up dying of a heart attack at 52 years of age.

It seems that one of the real tricks to enjoying life is to find the right "balance"of the things that matter. As I type this, the rest of my family is sound asleep. They are by far the most important thing in my life. While they're resting peacefully I tend to ponder this that or the other. There isn't a single time that I get on either of my bikes that I don't think about them before I take off. Just as my father did, I too realize that there are many risks involved with riding motorcycles. Even though I only just returned to riding 8 years ago motorcycling has brought a lot of enjoyment to my life. It's also taught me a number of good lessons. For me riding motorcycles can't compare with being a husband or a father. But as far as "other life experiences" go, it rates pretty highly. In that light owning and riding a CB1100 for the past 24 months has definitely been a real positive. (In fact, it's a big reason why the commute remains the highlight of my workday :rofl: ) Still I sometimes wonder if I'll have to give up riding before I'm mentally ready to do so due to declining eyesight or for other health-related reasons. If that proves to be the case, I'll be even more grateful for the time I did get to ride.

Enough rambling for one night (my Tuesday night has now extended into Wednesday morning). Like most of you, I too enjoy this place and I remain grateful for the fact that I'm not the only CB1100-crazy knucklehead around. Stay safe out there and enjoy!

All the best,
Guth
 
Lovely expression of some interesting musings, Guth. Many happy returns and thanks again for your gift to us: this forum.
 
Jane calls the forum "My Support Group". I used give her a funny look every time she would say it. Now I just smile and agree. Thanks Guth and happy bday !
 
Chapomis_imp said:
Jane calls the forum "My Support Group". I used give her a funny look every time she would say it. Now I just smile and agree. Thanks Guth and happy bday !
My wife calls it my internet dating site!
 
Well said :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
To quote Roy Rogers, "If the good Lord is willin', and the creeks don't rise," you will have many more years behind the handlebars.
At 53 you have a very long way to go yet. I came back to motorcycles when I retired at age 55.
I'm speaking from experience, because at age 77, I never felt better in my life and am enjoying the time of my life on a motorcycle.
I've ridden in large parts of eastern Canada, the USA, Chile, Peru and through the Canadian Rocky Mountains.
I don't even think of giving it up, but I think (hope) I will have the good sense to know when to quit.
Keep on keepin' on :thumbsup:
 
Happy Birthday Guth. I hope you enjoy many more in health and happiness. And thanks for the late night muse, it reminds me of what is truly important in life.
 
First, Happy Birthday Guth!!

You can't put a price tag on the enjoyment of ridding. It would have been hard to sit on the sidelines when the CB was introduced in 2013. I like many had been waiting a few years as it made its way through the rest of the world. To be honest it was not love at first ride, after a test ride and a few month looking at it on the showroom floor and in magazines I pulled the trigger in July of 2013. The styling of years past is what sold me. I never looked at a VIN# and quite frankly never knew how to read one.
 
Thanks Guth, that was a good read. Some times milestones present a time for reflection and no doubt a good rambling. I enjoy this forum and cant believe over the months I've nearly been here for 4 days, could have ridden across the continent to Perth in that time.
Regards
 
Thoughtful write up boss and congrats on making it thru another winter as the mountain men would say. I too will be celebrating passing thru another winter before we get to the rally. Number 65 for me. We never really do know how much time we have. When I was working I called on about 250 accounts. It amazed me how many never made it to their retirement date or just past their retirement date before passing. Guys in their late 50's....early 60's, so at 62 I decided I knew the end would come for me, but I didn't want it coming while I was in the cab of my car. So I retired. 6 months later I heard the CB1100 was coming out and "ordered" one before my dealer even knew they were coming to the U.S. What a great motorcycle. Then the 14 DLX came and I had to have one. Yes, I took somewhat of a financial beating on my less than a year old 13, but it really doesn't matter. The 13 was a great motorcycle I enjoyed every day I had it, and now I have what I really want and I am happy. Can't take the money with me my wife tells me. My goal is to ride until I am 70, if I can go beyond that, it would be awesome, but I will have survived 55 years of continuous riding on the mean streets if I make it. I have had a lot of great motorcycles in the last 50 years and I do believe the CB 1100 is the best of the lot. At least it gives me the most pleasure to ride and it's most pleasing to the eyes. Love my 1100.

Here's to many more years on the road and coincidentally on the forum too Guth! Thanks buddy.
 
Happy Birthday!

Thanks for the post. I will be golfing this afternoon, grateful that I am still physically and mentally able to pursue this other passion of mine. I'll be even more grateful if I can break 90. Enjoy your days.
 
Well said Guth...and Happy Birthday. We share some similarity's. We both own CB1100's, work and live for our family's, and are still in the game. I am a bit older...will be 60 this year. And like Ferret did in his early 60's, as the years turn, one can't help thinking that time is running out. So the best way to handle that is to accept it and live the rest of your years well planned. It's interesting, I forget what my 14's vin number is, but I think it may be one of the lowest reported in this Forum. But I had a different take when I learned what the number would be...I worried that maybe 'my' bike might be too new without the kinks worked out. It turned out to be just fine. I'm writing this from a hotel in Panama City Beach Florida where I'm getting ready to go slay the dragon again today. After I put on my tie and coat I'll walk thru the lobby to the vestibule where there are at least 7 motorcycles parked. Mostly Harley's and GoldWings as today starts Panama City's 'bike week'. As I walk by...I'll wish I was with them on my bike. Instead I'll get in my car with the AMA sticker in the window and head out knowing that I am with them in sprit. My wife doesn't understand the allure that bikes hold on us...she just doesn't, too scared of the danger they represent. But we know different...we know how free they make us feel. Ferret hopes he can get past 70 as a biker... I do too, except I hold Rocky up as my inspiration... still 'rolling' at 77. Wow...that's another 18 years for me. We can do this! Now when to retire and start really rocking??
 
Guth,

Happy Birthday bro. Tomorrow I will take my 20th bi-annual flight physical which will allow me to keep flying for another two years. This procedure use to be a nuisance but now at age 59 it's a source of dread. Every physical is potentially the end of my days as a pilot along with the joy, exhilaration and freedom that flying provides. But I'll still have motorcycles and I'm thankful for that.

Chip
 
ChipBeck_imp said:
Guth,

Happy Birthday bro. Tomorrow I will take my 20th bi-annual flight physical which will allow me to keep flying for another two years. This procedure use to be a nuisance but now at age 59 it's a source of dread. Every physical is potentially the end of my days as a pilot along with the joy, exhilaration and freedom that flying provides. But I'll still have motorcycles and I'm thankful for that.

Chip
I always have that in the back of my mind when I go for a flight physical. I used to wander all over the country on my bikes before I got my first plane, and I can look at least look forward to that after my flying days are done.
 
Back
Top