NT1100 Speculation Over

Gone in 60_imp said:
"Looks like they designed them to be no wider than the handlebars for lane splitting for you Californians. If the bars can get thru, the bags can get thru."

- Did you just whack your hands on that guy's mirror? It's about to get worse.

"To be honest, I have been known to hang my helmet on a mirror or footpeg or just sit it on the ground beside the bike, and sometimes throw my jacket over the tank or tank bag when going into a place to eat. One of the benefits to living in the low crime midwest I guess. We recently spent a week in central Kentucky riding curves and a few of us didn't even bother to lock our bikes in front of the hotel at night. Just took the ignition keys in with us."

- Dang, I get nervous in the three minutes it takes me to walk back into the building to set the alarm and lock the door after I roll my bike out of the back of the shop at night.
Yeah, Toronto and greater area is not much better than L.A. Either the [nice] helmet will be gone, or as some might think, " ... you can't have nice things." So check for gifts in or on the helmet.

In Brampton, Ontario they will simply take all the metal off the bike for scrap, including the helmet strap D-ring.
 
Just recently added some Givi side cases to the CB. Had some aluminum panniers on the Quota - very thin so one had to pack carefully.

Have never been able to store a helmet on a bike until I added a huge Givi 56 top case. It will hold two full face helmets.

So it seems to me, if you want to stow a helment - a top case is the way to go. Otherwise; drive a car. Side cases are for heavy stuff and clothes. Top case (at least for me) is a place to lock the helmet and hold extra gloves and liners for layering up or un-layering. Bulky light stuff. Now I'm not a big fan of top cases, but I've lost some shine on tank bags - top case proving just too practical. For my use case.

My main complaint; in college my helmet would not fit in a locker so I had to carry it with me. That was annoying.

What would you do on a naked bike?! Much to do about nothing.
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
Gone in 60_imp said:
"Looks like they designed them to be no wider than the handlebars for lane splitting for you Californians. If the bars can get thru, the bags can get thru."

- Did you just whack your hands on that guy's mirror? It's about to get worse.

"To be honest, I have been known to hang my helmet on a mirror or footpeg or just sit it on the ground beside the bike, and sometimes throw my jacket over the tank or tank bag when going into a place to eat. One of the benefits to living in the low crime midwest I guess. We recently spent a week in central Kentucky riding curves and a few of us didn't even bother to lock our bikes in front of the hotel at night. Just took the ignition keys in with us."

- Dang, I get nervous in the three minutes it takes me to walk back into the building to set the alarm and lock the door after I roll my bike out of the back of the shop at night.
Yeah, Toronto and greater area is not much better than L.A. Either the [nice] helmet will be gone, or as some might think, " ... you can't have nice things." So check for gifts in or on the helmet.

In Brampton, Ontario they will simply take all the metal off the bike for scrap, including the helmet strap D-ring.
Yeah, Toronto and greater area is not much better than L.A. Either the nice helmet will be gone, or as some might think, " ... you can't have nice things." So check for gifts in or on the helmet.

In Brampton, Ontario they will simply take all the metal off the bike for scrap, including the helmet strap D-ring.
N O N S E N S E
 
Never had a top case on my ST1100, ST1300, R1100R, or R1200R. They all had factory hard-case side bags. All those side bags accommodated a full-face helmet.

Which is as it should be, because they are dedicated sport-touring bikes, like the NT100, not naked standards.
 
Had a top case on my ST 1300 and my FJR 1300 and the R1200R I rented in Europe. Never put a helmet in any of them.... or the side bags...or in the Frunk of my NC 750 which is designed to hold a helmet.

Apparently that feature is important to you, but I don't see others saying it's important to them ... in fact the responses have been quite the opposite.

Doesn't sound like the NT1100 is the right bike for you.
 
peterbaron_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
Gone in 60_imp said:
"Looks like they designed them to be no wider than the handlebars for lane splitting for you Californians. If the bars can get thru, the bags can get thru."

- Did you just whack your hands on that guy's mirror? It's about to get worse.

"To be honest, I have been known to hang my helmet on a mirror or footpeg or just sit it on the ground beside the bike, and sometimes throw my jacket over the tank or tank bag when going into a place to eat. One of the benefits to living in the low crime midwest I guess. We recently spent a week in central Kentucky riding curves and a few of us didn't even bother to lock our bikes in front of the hotel at night. Just took the ignition keys in with us."

- Dang, I get nervous in the three minutes it takes me to walk back into the building to set the alarm and lock the door after I roll my bike out of the back of the shop at night.
Yeah, Toronto and greater area is not much better than L.A. Either the [nice] helmet will be gone, or as some might think, " ... you can't have nice things." So check for gifts in or on the helmet.

In Brampton, Ontario they will simply take all the metal off the bike for scrap, including the helmet strap D-ring.
Yeah, Toronto and greater area is not much better than L.A. Either the nice helmet will be gone, or as some might think, " ... you can't have nice things." So check for gifts in or on the helmet.

In Brampton, Ontario they will simply take all the metal off the bike for scrap, including the helmet strap D-ring.
N O N S E N S E
N O N S E N S E
LOL

PB - you gotta start parking a car or two in the driveway at night so you can party around the CB1100s in the garage. :)
 
VLJ I'm just trying to picture touring with a bike with no top case, and 1 of the only two places to store stuff left vacant so it will hold a helmet. You must travel with very little gear if you can fit everything you need in one 30 liter saddlebag.

Heck, I can pack pretty minimally having toured for 46 years? (since 1977), but when I rode out to Cali on my ST 1300 I had both bags, the top case, a small bag bungied to the lid of the top case, a dry bag with gear strapped on the back seat and a tank bag. Had to have some regular clothes, enough riding gear to deal with the torrential rain we encountered in Wyoming, the cold in Colorado (32 degrees), the heat in California (105 degrees), plus tools to deal with whatever came up during 11 days on the road. No way could I have packed all that in one 30L saddlebag. That doesn't count the dozens of trips my wife went with me to the South East, North East, Mid West, West, Northwest, and South West in the US, up into Canada and to Europe where we had to pack her gear as well.

and in all those years, all those trips, I have never had a helmet stolen or damaged when left outside on a bike. Locking a helmet in a saddlebag, or top case, has just never been a priority, nor will it be in the future, no matter where I ride or what bike I am riding.
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
peterbaron_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
Gone in 60_imp said:
"Looks like they designed them to be no wider than the handlebars for lane splitting for you Californians. If the bars can get thru, the bags can get thru."

- Did you just whack your hands on that guy's mirror? It's about to get worse.

"To be honest, I have been known to hang my helmet on a mirror or footpeg or just sit it on the ground beside the bike, and sometimes throw my jacket over the tank or tank bag when going into a place to eat. One of the benefits to living in the low crime midwest I guess. We recently spent a week in central Kentucky riding curves and a few of us didn't even bother to lock our bikes in front of the hotel at night. Just took the ignition keys in with us."

- Dang, I get nervous in the three minutes it takes me to walk back into the building to set the alarm and lock the door after I roll my bike out of the back of the shop at night.
Yeah, Toronto and greater area is not much better than L.A. Either the [nice] helmet will be gone, or as some might think, " ... you can't have nice things." So check for gifts in or on the helmet.

In Brampton, Ontario they will simply take all the metal off the bike for scrap, including the helmet strap D-ring.
Yeah, Toronto and greater area is not much better than L.A. Either the nice helmet will be gone, or as some might think, " ... you can't have nice things." So check for gifts in or on the helmet.

In Brampton, Ontario they will simply take all the metal off the bike for scrap, including the helmet strap D-ring.
N O N S E N S E
N O N S E N S E
LOL

PB - you gotta start parking a car or two in the driveway at night so you can party around the CB1100s in the garage. :)

N O N S E N S E
LOL

[url=http://cb1100forum.com/forum/member.php?action=profile&uid=3454]PB - you gotta start parking a car or two in the driveway at night so you can party around the CB1100s in the garage. :)
:banana: dlx&std :banana: at :banana: ex
 
mickey, each of the NT1100 video reviews I've seen from the launch in Scotland noted that the side cases will not hold a full-face helmet. Keep in mind, it's not as if these guys all called me up before shooting their reviews to ask me, "Hey, what do YOU want to know about this bike?"

Nope, they checked for it and made note of it entirely on their own.

When the Yamaha Tracer first came out, there was all sorts of talk on their message board on this very subject, to the extent that people started looking into whether the FJR's bags would fit on the Tracer.

Clearly, I am not alone in this desire. Not by a long shot. It's a thing. Believe it or not, it really is a thing, especially if you have expensive gear and you habitually park your bike on the streets of a major city, or outside in damp conditions.

Let's say I ride to Muir Woods, or Tahoe. When I arrive, I want to peel off my riding suit, boots, gloves, and helmet. I want to throw on hiking gear. I'm going to be gone for a few hours. The helmet is roughly $800. The riding suit is about $1,500. The boots are $250, and the gloves are $175. There might also be some heated gear, so add another few hundred bucks. Now double all of this if there's a passenger, and toss in some helmet-to-helmet communications gizmos. I want to lock it all away, out of sight. Running a cable lock through all of this stuff and attaching it to the bike is an open invitation to thieves.

I go to a Giants game. My bike will sit there unattended until who knows when, depending on the length of the game and whatever I do afterward. It may be midnight by the time I get back to the bike. If I lock my gear to the bike, exposed, it may be gone, but it will definitely be wet. San Francisco fog. Jerks with drinks they want to trash. Drunks.

Soaked helmet liner. Wet gear. I have a two-hour ride home.

Lockable side bags. That's what all my dedicated sport-tourers offered. I could swing my leg over those bikes, because there was no top box.

If you go places and have expensive gear, or you buy something while you're out and about, you don't want to have to carry it all with you as you walk around, and you don't want to hang it off of your bike in plain sight, exposed to the elements and potential thieves.

This is not rocket science. It shouldn't require an explanation, any more than an explanation is needed as to why your car has a lockable trunk. Designers of sport-touring motorcycles know this. It's why their side bags for their larger, dedicated sport-tourers are nearly always capacious enough to swallow a full-face helmet. It's why Honda designed the hard bags on all their other sport-tourers to accept full-face helmets.

This is a no-brainer.
 
A thing for some I suppose. Not a thing for others.
 
There is no downside to adding the necessary inch or so of depth that would enable the bags to carry a helmet. From the saddle, you will never notice the difference. I live in a lane-splitting state, and have always been able to split lanes on my bikes with normal-sized side bags.

No downside at all. None. There is no good reason not to design them that way from the start.
 
VLJ_imp said:
There is no downside to adding the necessary inch or so of depth that would enable the bags to carry a helmet. From the saddle, you will never notice the difference. I live in a lane-splitting state, and have always been able to split lanes on my bikes with normal-sized side bags.

No downside at all. None. There is no good reason not to design them that way from the start.
I can think of one.. Additional accessory part sales. They want you to buy a top case. BMW does the same thing. It's pretty standard marketing.
 
BMW's side cases are large enough to hold a full-face helmet. With my two BMW Roadsters I never needed to spring for the top case. Those same bags fit on the R1200RT, R1200GS, and R1200RS.

It really isn't standard at all, lockable side bags that are too skinny to hold a helmet. It's not even standard for Honda. These NT1100 bags are an anomaly.
 
VLJ_imp said:
BMW's side cases are large enough to hold a full-face helmet. With my two BMW Roadsters I never needed to spring for the top case. Those same bags fit on the R1200RT, R1200GS, and R1200RS.

It really isn't standard at all, lockable side bags that are too skinny to hold a helmet. It's not even standard for Honda. These NT1100 bags are an anomaly.
It seems to me that it is becoming standard when you look beyond BMW. The Goldwing sidecases no longer fit a helmet. While the FJR1300 still does (however long that bike has left), the newer Yamaha bikes come with the “city” sized side cases which don’t fit one either, if the bike comes with side cases at all. I think BMW might be the exception these days due primarily to their position at the top end as a “luxury” manufacturer, but I would wager that changes in the not so distant future. I think the one exception might be in the ADV segment where there are a ton of large aftermarket cases. Then again the ADV rider is looking to stow expedition levels of gear on the bike, whether they ever make it beyond a Starbucks or not.

It’s just my opinion, but the concept of “skimpflation” seems to be trickling into the automotive industry as well, albeit at a slower pace I suspect due to longer R&D/development cycles. It also seems like consumers just don’t want big heavy bikes anymore based on big cruiser’s sales figures bottoming out. But then again, that is just my impression of the way things seem to be going and I admit that I don’t scan every news source for the latest bits of motorcycling news.
 
I guess if it's a big enough deal for enough people, either the aftermarket will come up with something ..... or Honda won't sell many of the NTs. Time will tell.

It certainly wouldn't be a deal breaker for me.
 
As long as there's enough room for some changes of clothes and a rain suit I care not at all if a helmet fits. If I'm traveling there would be no room for a helmet anyway. This looks to be a very nice sport-touring bike that will satisfy many riders and I hope Honda sells a lot of them.
One of the best features is curb weight about 525lbs ready to ride, less than a CB1100.
 
Whoops_imp said:
VLJ_imp said:
BMW's side cases are large enough to hold a full-face helmet. With my two BMW Roadsters I never needed to spring for the top case. Those same bags fit on the R1200RT, R1200GS, and R1200RS.

It really isn't standard at all, lockable side bags that are too skinny to hold a helmet. It's not even standard for Honda. These NT1100 bags are an anomaly.
It seems to me that it is becoming standard when you look beyond BMW. The Goldwing sidecases no longer fit a helmet. While the FJR1300 still does (however long that bike has left), the newer Yamaha bikes come with the “city” sized side cases which don’t fit one either, if the bike comes with side cases at all. I think BMW might be the exception these days due primarily to their position at the top end as a “luxury” manufacturer, but I would wager that changes in the not so distant future. I think the one exception might be in the ADV segment where there are a ton of large aftermarket cases. Then again the ADV rider is looking to stow expedition levels of gear on the bike, whether they ever make it beyond a Starbucks or not.

It’s just my opinion, but the concept of “skimpflation” seems to be trickling into the automotive industry as well, albeit at a slower pace I suspect due to longer R&D/development cycles. It also seems like consumers just don’t want big heavy bikes anymore based on big cruiser’s sales figures bottoming out. But then again, that is just my impression of the way things seem to be going and I admit that I don’t scan every news source for the latest bits of motorcycling news.
:rofl:
 
Whoops, the side cases on the new GoldWing won't hold a full-face helmet? Did they shrink them in the last year or so?

Anyway, if that's now true, it just blows my mind.
 
VLJ_imp said:
Whoops, the side cases on the new GoldWing won't hold a full-face helmet? Did they shrink them in the last year or so?

Anyway, if that's now true, it just blows my mind.
... and that is one way to make space.
 
Thread starter
I think the NT1100 is a Euro centric bike, the slim panniers are probably to aid filtering and nadgering around small European cities. I have a giant ADV bike with two big aluminium panniers and a top box that takes a helmet. I don't ever remember stowing my helmet in the top box when on a trip, it's full of other rubbish and there are plenty of times I wish I had a slimmer bike!
 
Back
Top