NT1100 Speculation Over

Tev62

Road warrior
Thread starter
So here it is in the flesh. I am not totally convinced. Price is good, DCT unique offering, looks a bit scooterish from certain angles, 40HP-50HP down on the competing Suzuki and Kawasakis, it's a tough market out there.

 
it seems that its competition is the Africa Twin. Not sure what market it would fit in.
A buddy of mine had an AT and we toured the west coast on it. Surprised by how well it did but couldn't hold a candle to the others of us on a C14, a 1290 Super Adventure and my FJR1300.
 
oooooo i see now. you're comparing it to proper sport touring offerings. Tev must have been talking about the GSX1000F. Yea it's a bit down on power compared to that monster, but it's way up on comfort.

As far as the C14 goes....you really can't make that comparison. It's like night and day. You'd have to compare to a Versys1000 LT
 
The Honda 2022 NT1100 is slotted as an alternative to the heavy and more expensive upper tier touring model brands. Honda hopes to capture this market (assuming it exists).

The engine offering is fine for touring, reliable and economical. Honda is betting touring is not a race - which is a reasonable position. Nevertheless, it is unlikely the NT1100 will be left behind in everyday use.
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
The Honda 2022 NT1100 is slotted as an alternative to the heavy and more expensive upper tier touring model brands. Honda hopes to capture this market (assuming it exists).

The engine offering is fine for touring, reliable and economical. Honda is betting touring is not a race - which is a reasonable position. Nevertheless, it is unlikely the NT1100 will be left behind in everyday use.
They're dead right about that. especially among the demographic that will buy this bike. Big power on touring bikes has always been kind of silly. The question is, does it possess the torque and suspension to support large loads like passengers and two weeks worth of luggage? I think it does if they're just transplanting the Africa Twin into this thing.
 
Thread starter
misterprofessionality_imp said:
40-50hp down on the competing suzuki? Isn't the competing suzuki the Vstrom 1050? They're about equal in bhp aren't they?
Not the V-Strom, the new GSX1000S-GT


misterprofessionality_imp said:
oooooo i see now. you're comparing it to proper sport touring offerings. Tev must have been talking about the GSX1000F. Yea it's a bit down on power compared to that monster, but it's way up on comfort.

As far as the C14 goes....you really can't make that comparison. It's like night and day. You'd have to compare to a Versys1000 LT
I was indeed, well, the new version now named the GSX1000S-GT :thumbsup:
To my mind you do need more than 100HP if you are going to pile a bike high with luggage and go two up. I got rid of my Africa Twin because it was quite anaemic two up fully loaded. You can make the argument all day that 100HP is enough but by the same token you could say that about 80HP or 50HP, they will all break the speed limit and go from A to B.
 
misterprofessionality_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
The Honda 2022 NT1100 is slotted as an alternative to the heavy and more expensive upper tier touring model brands. Honda hopes to capture this market (assuming it exists).

The engine offering is fine for touring, reliable and economical. Honda is betting touring is not a race - which is a reasonable position. Nevertheless, it is unlikely the NT1100 will be left behind in everyday use.
They're dead right about that. especially among the demographic that will buy this bike. Big power on touring bikes has always been kind of silly. The question is, does it possess the torque and suspension to support large loads like passengers and two weeks worth of luggage? I think it does if they're just transplanting the Africa Twin into this thing.
That is a good question.

The OEM suspension is adequate on the Africa Twin for road and light offroad excursions. However, serious offroaders will scoff at the OEM offering and replace suspension with haste. The NT may have the Electronic Suspension feature of the top-line Africa Twin and should more than suffice demanding touring riders.

I speculate the NT1100 will rev slightly lower for touring requirements, giving up some advantages needed by the Africa Twin for better offroad duties. This is okay because revving at 4000 to 4500 just to cruise on the Africa, albeit it is done quite smoothly, might be less desirable on the NT. I might be way off on this assumption because the lump is incredibly smooth at cruising.

= = =

It was a very long shot, but I wish the NT had shaft final drive. (ah well)
 
Tev62_imp said:
misterprofessionality_imp said:
40-50hp down on the competing suzuki? Isn't the competing suzuki the Vstrom 1050? They're about equal in bhp aren't they?
Not the V-Strom, the new GSX1000S-GT


misterprofessionality_imp said:
oooooo i see now. you're comparing it to proper sport touring offerings. Tev must have been talking about the GSX1000F. Yea it's a bit down on power compared to that monster, but it's way up on comfort.

As far as the C14 goes....you really can't make that comparison. It's like night and day. You'd have to compare to a Versys1000 LT
I was indeed, well, the new version now named the GSX1000S-GT :thumbsup:
To my mind you do need more than 100HP if you are going to pile a bike high with luggage and go two up. I got rid of my Africa Twin because it was quite anaemic two up fully loaded. You can make the argument all day that 100HP is enough but by the same token you could say that about 80HP or 50HP, they will all break the speed limit and go from A to B.
I was indeed, well, the new version now named the GSX1000S-GT :thumbsup:

To my mind you do need more than 100HP if you are going to pile a bike high with luggage and go two up. I got rid of my Africa Twin because it was quite anaemic two up fully loaded. You can make the argument all day that 100HP is enough but by the same token you could say that about 80HP or 50HP, they will all break the speed limit and go from A to B.
It's funny, over on the NC 750 forum they think this NT 1100 has way more power than necessary, and that the 50 odd hp NC has all the power you need....and that bikes like FJR's, the Suzuki 1000GT, the Kawasaki 1000 sport tourer etc have stupid amounts of horsepower.

I think we had the same arguments about the power of the CB 1100 when it came out with it's 80 some hp and people were saying it should have 120.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Tev62_imp said:
misterprofessionality_imp said:
40-50hp down on the competing suzuki? Isn't the competing suzuki the Vstrom 1050? They're about equal in bhp aren't they?
Not the V-Strom, the new GSX1000S-GT


misterprofessionality_imp said:
oooooo i see now. you're comparing it to proper sport touring offerings. Tev must have been talking about the GSX1000F. Yea it's a bit down on power compared to that monster, but it's way up on comfort.

As far as the C14 goes....you really can't make that comparison. It's like night and day. You'd have to compare to a Versys1000 LT
I was indeed, well, the new version now named the GSX1000S-GT :thumbsup:
To my mind you do need more than 100HP if you are going to pile a bike high with luggage and go two up. I got rid of my Africa Twin because it was quite anaemic two up fully loaded. You can make the argument all day that 100HP is enough but by the same token you could say that about 80HP or 50HP, they will all break the speed limit and go from A to B.
I was indeed, well, the new version now named the GSX1000S-GT :thumbsup:

To my mind you do need more than 100HP if you are going to pile a bike high with luggage and go two up. I got rid of my Africa Twin because it was quite anaemic two up fully loaded. You can make the argument all day that 100HP is enough but by the same token you could say that about 80HP or 50HP, they will all break the speed limit and go from A to B.
It's funny, over on the NC 750 forum they think this NT 1100 has way more power than necessary, and that the 50 odd hp NC has all the power you need....and that bikes like FJR's, the Suzuki 1000GT, the Kawasaki 1000 sport tourer etc have stupid amounts of horsepower.

I think we had the same arguments about the power of the CB 1100 when it came out with it's 80 some hp and people were saying it should have 120.
I was indeed, well, the new version now named the GSX1000S-GT :thumbsup:

To my mind you do need more than 100HP if you are going to pile a bike high with luggage and go two up. I got rid of my Africa Twin because it was quite anaemic two up fully loaded. You can make the argument all day that 100HP is enough but by the same token you could say that about 80HP or 50HP, they will all break the speed limit and go from A to B.
It's funny, over on the NC 750 forum they think this NT 1100 has way more power than necessary, and that the 50 odd hp NC has all the power you need....and that bikes like FJR's, the Suzuki 1000GT, the Kawasaki 1000 sport tourer etc have stupid amounts of horsepower.

I think we had the same arguments about the power of the CB 1100 when it came out with it's 80 some hp and people were saying it should have 120.
My Pop always told me you can never have too much money, free time or horsepower. Truer words were never spoken.
 
I agree with Ferret but for two-up fully loaded riding, 100 hp is fine but more would add a degree of safety. Arguably, without bags or touring pretensions, I think the CB’s 80+ hp is more than enough for a solo rider, especially given the bike’s design intent.
 
LongRanger_imp said:
I agree with Ferret but for two-up fully loaded riding, 100 hp is fine but more would add a degree of safety. Arguably, without bags or touring pretensions, I think the CB’s 80+ hp is more than enough for a solo rider, especially given the bike’s design intent.
I realize couples do it, but my partner would laugh at me if we toured two-up on any of these mid-class machines for more than two hours.

She'd want her own bike before that happens.
 
I have to say that at the price it is being offered here, I would probably prefer to go with the Moto Guzzi V85TT Travel. That is an excellent touring bike with all the electronics and also comes with a shaft drive. Granted, it is less powerful, but having tried it I believe it would be enough.

Nevertheless, if I was looking for a touring bike, I would most likely spend some more and get the BMW R1250RS as ultimately I prefer a sport touring bike.
 
Henrik_imp said:
I have to say that at the price it is being offered here, I would probably prefer to go with the Moto Guzzi V85TT Travel. That is an excellent touring bike with all the electronics and also comes with a shaft drive. Granted, it is less powerful, but having tried it I believe it would be enough.

Nevertheless, if I was looking for a touring bike, I would most likely spend some more and get the BMW R1250RS as ultimately I prefer a sport touring bike.
I test rode the new V7 with at same 850 motor and I agree. I loved that motor. Plenty of torque for it's size. Plus you could take that V85TT off road when you want.
 
Hm, reminds my of my CBF1000

37bc82566fae6f59e9c09c89ff6328d7.jpg


which has same weight and 107 hp.
 
Henrik_imp said:
I have to say that at the price it is being offered here, I would probably prefer to go with the Moto Guzzi V85TT Travel. That is an excellent touring bike with all the electronics and also comes with a shaft drive. Granted, it is less powerful, but having tried it I believe it would be enough.

Nevertheless, if I was looking for a touring bike, I would most likely spend some more and get the BMW R1250RS as ultimately I prefer a sport touring bike.
But you can get this level of reliability with a Honda, and still going with no major maintenance! ...



Where as with the competition ...



 
Back
Top