No more tuning CB1100??

gretle_2.0

First service completed
Thread starter
Hello everyone, I just ordered the full arrow exhaust for my CB1100 but just read here on the forums that Guhl motors is no longer tuning ecus? I was hoping to go to him afterwards but I guess that’s no longer happening. Does this mean I will need a PCV and go to another tuner to get tuned or have the restrictions taken off? Unless someone is selling a tuned ecu for a 2013 CB1100.


Much thanks
 
Thank the EPA for Don Guhl not doing ECU mods.
 
You will get more benefit in power and a smoother running engine from fueling than from ign timing changes.

Since the power commander does fueling and is still available- get it while you can.

Once you have it- the only difference Guhls tune would add is higher rev limiter, top speed limiter removal, rumored ign changes in lower gears (unverified) and a general ign timing change overall which nets about 3% gain in peak power.

You won't feel 3% on the seat of your pants.

If his tune was still available- yes doing it would give you fuel AND ign and would be worth it... I am just trying to say you can still get very close to the same with a PCV
 
Thread starter
PowerDubs_imp said:
You will get more benefit in power and a smoother running engine from fueling than from ign timing changes.

Since the power commander does fueling and is still available- get it while you can.

Once you have it- the only difference Guhls tune would add is higher rev limiter, top speed limiter removal, rumored ign changes in lower gears (unverified) and a general ign timing change overall which nets about 3% gain in peak power.

You won't feel 3% on the seat of your pants.

If his tune was still available- yes doing it would give you fuel AND ign and would be worth it... I am just trying to say you can still get very close to the same with a PCV
Oh okay, is there any maps out there for a PCV for full exhaust and tune?
 
The existing basic file Dynojet has on their site is 'close enough' that most people won't notice the difference.

If you want it to be the best you can get- you need to purchase the add-on auto tune box, weld a new bung into your exhaust to fir the included wide band O2 sensor and then you can set a target a/f table and the bike will tune itself to be whatever you want it to be.
 
Thread starter
PowerDubs_imp said:
The existing basic file Dynojet has on their site is 'close enough' that most people won't notice the difference.

If you want it to be the best you can get- you need to purchase the add-on auto tune box, weld a new bung into your exhaust to fir the included wide band O2 sensor and then you can set a target a/f table and the bike will tune itself to be whatever you want it to be.
Okay so if I purchase the PCV and use the basic file on their site it will remove the restrictions and make my bike run better with the full arrow exhaust?
PowerDubs_imp said:
The existing basic file Dynojet has on their site is 'close enough' that most people won't notice the difference.

If you want it to be the best you can get- you need to purchase the add-on auto tune box, weld a new bung into your exhaust to fir the included wide band O2 sensor and then you can set a target a/f table and the bike will tune itself to be whatever you want it to be.
Also I’ve looked around and someone said they can still get their EVU flashed by Guhl motors but just have to say it’s for “track only”?
 
No, the power commander does not remove ‘restriction’ meaning rev limiter or top speed limiter- but 99.9% of people don’t need that ‘fixed’.


And no- Guhl won’t / can’t tune any vehicle that has a VIN.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
The hard work has already been done- the tuning.

What we need is a way to pull an existing file from a tuned ecu and write it to other ecu. Cloning.

Probably can be done with an existing tool / cable / software if anyone was interested enough to dig around the internet.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
PowerDubs_imp said:
The hard work has already been done- the tuning.

What we need is a way to pull an existing file from a tuned ecu and write it to other ecu. Cloning.

Probably can be done with an existing tool / cable / software if anyone was interested enough to dig around the internet.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hmmm indeed. Will it still be safe to run a full exhaust with no tune? I guess my only option would be to buy a ecu from a 2013 CB1100 that already has Guhl’s flash which I don’t think maybe people would do unless they were selling their bike and wanted to put the stock tune on it.
 
I wouldn't take the cat out without adding fuel in some way.

Others have I am sure... and yea it will 'run' but leaner /hotter than it should- and Honda already had enough issues with engine heat failures on this bike in the design process as is.
 
Thread starter
PowerDubs_imp said:
I wouldn't take the cat out without adding fuel in some way.

Others have I am sure... and yea it will 'run' but leaner /hotter than it should- and Honda already had enough issues with engine heat failures on this bike in the design process as is.
Yeah I just called a local place to me and they’re able to flash my ecu and dyno tune it. Karns Performance in Mechanicsburg, PA. Now before I get tuned with a full exhaust is the TSR intake mod really worth it?
 
I'll have to look up that shop- to my knowledge Guhl was the only place that had cracked our ECU to be able to bench flash.

Which TSR part are you referring to?

There is a simple TSR plate that replaces the intake snorkel on the airbox- it only makes about 2whp at the VERY top of the RPM.

I dyno tested it back to back- and since it made very little power, and made an intake noise that I didn't like, I did this now instead-

https://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=15762



Then there are the the TSR velocity stacks that replace the stock ones in the airbox- they will make good power, but I don't know if they are still available, and they were expensive.

I would suggest this instead- https://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=10300

Those modified stock velocity stacks have flowed enough air that I have made 103whp and 75wtq so far.


And lastly- right now I am in the middle of installing a new dual height velocity stacks I had custom made-

https://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=17343
 
Thread starter
PowerDubs_imp said:
I'll have to look up that shop- to my knowledge Guhl was the only place that had cracked our ECU to be able to bench flash.

Which TSR part are you referring to?

There is a simple TSR plate that replaces the intake snorkel on the airbox- it only makes about 2whp at the VERY top of the RPM.

I dyno tested it back to back- and since it made very little power, and made an intake noise that I didn't like, I did this now instead-

https://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=15762



Then there are the the TSR velocity stacks that replace the stock ones in the airbox- they will make good power, but I don't know if they are still available, and they were expensive.

I would suggest this instead- https://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=10300

Those modified stock velocity stacks have flowed enough air that I have made 103whp and 75wtq so far.


And lastly- right now I am in the middle of installing a new dual height velocity stacks I had custom made-

https://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=17343
Yeah I meant the intake air box mod. So the velocity stacks are doing worth while I guess it seems to gain a substantial amount of power? And thanks for the links! And that’s awesome! Love your DIY stuff and I can understand for the most part because I went for Mechanical Engineering, what software did you use for the flow of the them? Only software I have used for that is Siemens Star CCM+
 
Thread starter
PowerDubs_imp said:
I didn't do the computer simulation stuff- that was done by the shop I hired to make the stacks.
Oh my mistake, Awww what are your expectations power wise for it?
 
Thread starter
gretle_2.0_imp said:
PowerDubs_imp said:
I didn't do the computer simulation stuff- that was done by the shop I hired to make the stacks.
Oh my mistake, Awww what are your expectations power wise for it?
Oh my mistake, Awww what are your expectations power wise for it?
Whoops didn’t mean “Awww” there lol
 
So..... why did Guhl stop tuning but Superbike Unlimited, VCycleNut, Ivan and everybody else still tune/flash ECU's? I'm rather confused....
 
Back
Top