Nighthawk

j3gq_imp

Been there
Thread starter
For those of you who owned a Honda CB650 SC Nighthawk: any good or bad experience with it ?
riding, seat, vibrations, sound, quality of paint, corrosion issues, ...
Any information would be valuable, since I have been offered a real nice one.
Figured that she might be a nicy "other bike". What do you think ?

[attachment=14480]
 
j3gq_imp said:
For those of you who owned a Honda CB650 SC Nighthawk: any good or bad experience with it ?
riding, seat, vibrations, sound, quality of paint, corrosion issues, ...
Any information would be valuable, since I have been offered a real nice one.
Figured that she might be a nicy "other bike". What do you think ?

[attachment=14480]
My single greatest motorcycle regret is selling my 1984 Nighthawk 650. Sold it in 2003 and it was in great condition. Never had any mechanical issues. Wanted a new 919 and didn't realize back then that a guy could have more than one bike at a time. I bought my current 1100 EX to be the bike that this Nighthawk was for me. Easy. Reliable. Smooth. Fun. Would buy my old one back in a heartbeat.

f497019504b18171078848541bf4ae8a.jpg
 
Not to be snarky, but the reason I ask if you’ve ridden it is because you’ll likely get lots of opinions from those who have owned this particular model, and they’re all likely to be favorable opinions, but the only thing that matters is what YOU think of it. Only you can decide if the comfort, fit, vibration, style, etc., makes sense for you. Me? I think it’s a sharp looking bike but it is almost 40 years old. We’re all spoiled by newer technology (brakes, suspension, handling, engine performance). I fell into a similar trap several years ago when I happened upon a pristine low mileage ‘73 RD-350 and thought I just had to have it. It was not enjoyable to ride. Just something to consider.
 
TXBikerGuy_imp said:
j3gq_imp said:
For those of you who owned a Honda CB650 SC Nighthawk: any good or bad experience with it ?
riding, seat, vibrations, sound, quality of paint, corrosion issues, ...
Any information would be valuable, since I have been offered a real nice one.
Figured that she might be a nicy "other bike". What do you think ?

[attachment=14480]
My single greatest motorcycle regret is selling my 1984 Nighthawk 650. Sold it in 2003 and it was in great condition. Never had any mechanical issues. Wanted a new 919 and didn't realize back then that a guy could have more than one bike at a time. I bought my current 1100 EX to be the bike that this Nighthawk was for me. Easy. Reliable. Smooth. Fun. Would buy my old one back in a heartbeat.

f497019504b18171078848541bf4ae8a.jpg
My single greatest motorcycle regret is selling my 1984 Nighthawk 650. Sold it in 2003 and it was in great condition. Never had any mechanical issues. Wanted a new 919 and didn't realize back then that a guy could have more than one bike at a time. I bought my current 1100 EX to be the bike that this Nighthawk was for me. Easy. Reliable. Smooth. Fun. Would buy my old one back in a heartbeat.

c31a077561e82d7220b911eebea47e59.jpg

(+1) Beautiful. I had the '83 same model in metallic blue. Never had any problems with it. Regret selling it. Shoulda just kept it.
 
I have a 1979 CB650, same SOHC engine, and it is noticeably faster than the older CB500/550, but also noticeably less refined than the 1983 and later DOHC 650-700-750.

If you haven't ridden older bikes from the '80s, well they aren't nearly as refined as the CB1100. That one looks in great condition though.
 
Other than the rear drum brake, Honda really poured a lot of technology into their '83 CB650SC (and the 550 for that matter) and the stuff worked incredibly well and looked good at the same time.

I also had the exciting '84 CB750SC, but that is another story.
 
Had one in our shop. Very cool looking bike but the KZ550 came out in '81 and performance wise kicked it's bum.

So it had the looks but could not back up the looks with performance. Alas, I think it would sell better today as a very nice retro bike. Not so much then.

I never did take it for a ride.
 
Thread starter
LongRanger_imp said:
Not to be snarky, but the reason I ask if you’ve ridden it is because you’ll likely get lots of opinions from those who have owned this particular model, and they’re all likely to be favorable opinions, but the only thing that matters is what YOU think of it. Only you can decide if the comfort, fit, vibration, style, etc., makes sense for you. Me? I think it’s a sharp looking bike but it is almost 40 years old. We’re all spoiled by newer technology (brakes, suspension, handling, engine performance). I fell into a similar trap several years ago when I happened upon a pristine low mileage ‘73 RD-350 and thought I just had to have it. It was not enjoyable to ride. Just something to consider.
Wholeheartedly appreciate your comment !
 
My brother just recently picked up a 82 nighthawk , it had just had a complete rebuild, the day he brought it home I found an 84 nighthawk 700 s which is in his local shop getting the once over . Both nice bikes but after riding them both , realized that the new cb1100 have spoiled me.
 
obleo_imp said:
My brother just recently picked up a 82 nighthawk , it had just had a complete rebuild, the day he brought it home I found an 84 nighthawk 700 s which is in his local shop getting the once over . Both nice bikes but after riding them both , realized that the new cb1100 have spoiled me.
Yesh, the CB1100 should be the bike of choice, although I do miss the available shaft final drive of the vintage Nighthawks.
 
obleo_imp said:
Yes shaft drive, 6 speed , shift indicator , Honda was way ahead of it’s time .
... plus TRAC anti-dive, hydraulic value lifters, hydraulic clutch, DOHC, 16-valve 4-inline (1984), CV vacuum carbs, air adjustable front forks, oil cooler, ... to name a few more.
 
obleo_imp said:
Yes G. O. All good points , what’s not to like ?
The only thing that comes to mind is that in the 1984 Nighthawk CB750SC was a bug in the design of the air box. Although not the 650 (didn't seem to have the problem), the 750 version was sensitive to strong freeway speed crosswind gusts. This was a dangerous symptom where the air intake weakened causing a rich fuel mix and a sudden loss of power. Conversely, when the vacuum in the air box normalized, then the rider would experience a sudden surge (restoration) in power.
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
obleo_imp said:
Yes G. O. All good points , what’s not to like ?
The only thing that comes to mind is that in the 1984 Nighthawk CB750SC was a bug in the design of the air box. Although not the 650 (didn't seem to have the problem), the 750 version was sensitive to strong freeway speed crosswind gusts. This was a dangerous symptom where the air intake weakened causing a rich fuel mix and a sudden loss of power. Conversely, when the vacuum in the air box normalized, then the rider would experience a sudden surge (restoration) in power.
The only thing that comes to mind is that in the 1984 Nighthawk CB750SC was a bug in the design of the air box. Although not the 650 (didn't seem to have the problem), the 750 version was sensitive to strong freeway speed crosswind gusts. This was a dangerous symptom where the air intake weakened causing a rich fuel mix and a sudden loss of power. Conversely, when the vacuum in the air box normalized, then the rider would experience a sudden surge (restoration) in power. It's an interesting point. I used to experience on my 4cyl Honda 250 very often, actually there is a lagoon here which used to be a part of my daily commute and every single time as I would come into this long left curve upon entry I would always get hit by a crosswind for a few hundred meters where I'd experience a sudden loss of power and then a surge, usually 2-3 of these "hick-ups" and as soon as I'd line up with the lagoon and the wind which would then be chest wind, the bike would just run perfectly normal. I asked a few mechanics I used to visit at that time, they'd check the bike out and tell me all is well and never offer an explanation. And now more than a decade later I get it from a random GO fact hole

'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
 
tod.branko_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
obleo_imp said:
Yes G. O. All good points , what’s not to like ?
The only thing that comes to mind is that in the 1984 Nighthawk CB750SC was a bug in the design of the air box. Although not the 650 (didn't seem to have the problem), the 750 version was sensitive to strong freeway speed crosswind gusts. This was a dangerous symptom where the air intake weakened causing a rich fuel mix and a sudden loss of power. Conversely, when the vacuum in the air box normalized, then the rider would experience a sudden surge (restoration) in power.
The only thing that comes to mind is that in the 1984 Nighthawk CB750SC was a bug in the design of the air box. Although not the 650 (didn't seem to have the problem), the 750 version was sensitive to strong freeway speed crosswind gusts. This was a dangerous symptom where the air intake weakened causing a rich fuel mix and a sudden loss of power. Conversely, when the vacuum in the air box normalized, then the rider would experience a sudden surge (restoration) in power. It's an interesting point. I used to experience on my 4cyl Honda 250 very often, actually there is a lagoon here which used to be a part of my daily commute and every single time as I would come into this long left curve upon entry I would always get hit by a crosswind for a few hundred meters where I'd experience a sudden loss of power and then a surge, usually 2-3 of these "hick-ups" and as soon as I'd line up with the lagoon and the wind which would then be chest wind, the bike would just run perfectly normal. I asked a few mechanics I used to visit at that time, they'd check the bike out and tell me all is well and never offer an explanation. And now more than a decade later I get it from a random GO fact hole

'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
The only thing that comes to mind is that in the 1984 Nighthawk CB750SC was a bug in the design of the air box. Although not the 650 (didn't seem to have the problem), the 750 version was sensitive to strong freeway speed crosswind gusts. This was a dangerous symptom where the air intake weakened causing a rich fuel mix and a sudden loss of power. Conversely, when the vacuum in the air box normalized, then the rider would experience a sudden surge (restoration) in power. It's an interesting point. I used to experience on my 4cyl Honda 250 very often, actually there is a lagoon here which used to be a part of my daily commute and every single time as I would come into this long left curve upon entry I would always get hit by a crosswind for a few hundred meters where I'd experience a sudden loss of power and then a surge, usually 2-3 of these "hick-ups" and as soon as I'd line up with the lagoon and the wind which would then be chest wind, the bike would just run perfectly normal. I asked a few mechanics I used to visit at that time, they'd check the bike out and tell me all is well and never offer an explanation. And now more than a decade later I get it from a random GO fact hole

'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
I experienced something similar a long while ago, crossing one of the bridges on Highway 1 south of Big Sur. I was riding a 1990 Katana 750 with the fully enclosed bodywork. The onshore crosswinds were severe, but inconsistent. Sometimes I was leaned over at least 45 degrees, then it would let up and I was suddenly be in the oncoming lane (no traffic, but still frightening).

Other times there would be a sudden strong gust that apparently sucked the air out of the airbox, and the engine died as if I had cut off the engine. It would restart pretty quickly, but it has caused me to shy away from faired bikes (and that road section).
 
pekingduck_imp said:
tod.branko_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
obleo_imp said:
Yes G. O. All good points , what’s not to like ?
The only thing that comes to mind is that in the 1984 Nighthawk CB750SC was a bug in the design of the air box. Although not the 650 (didn't seem to have the problem), the 750 version was sensitive to strong freeway speed crosswind gusts. This was a dangerous symptom where the air intake weakened causing a rich fuel mix and a sudden loss of power. Conversely, when the vacuum in the air box normalized, then the rider would experience a sudden surge (restoration) in power.
The only thing that comes to mind is that in the 1984 Nighthawk CB750SC was a bug in the design of the air box. Although not the 650 (didn't seem to have the problem), the 750 version was sensitive to strong freeway speed crosswind gusts. This was a dangerous symptom where the air intake weakened causing a rich fuel mix and a sudden loss of power. Conversely, when the vacuum in the air box normalized, then the rider would experience a sudden surge (restoration) in power. It's an interesting point. I used to experience on my 4cyl Honda 250 very often, actually there is a lagoon here which used to be a part of my daily commute and every single time as I would come into this long left curve upon entry I would always get hit by a crosswind for a few hundred meters where I'd experience a sudden loss of power and then a surge, usually 2-3 of these "hick-ups" and as soon as I'd line up with the lagoon and the wind which would then be chest wind, the bike would just run perfectly normal. I asked a few mechanics I used to visit at that time, they'd check the bike out and tell me all is well and never offer an explanation. And now more than a decade later I get it from a random GO fact hole

'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
The only thing that comes to mind is that in the 1984 Nighthawk CB750SC was a bug in the design of the air box. Although not the 650 (didn't seem to have the problem), the 750 version was sensitive to strong freeway speed crosswind gusts. This was a dangerous symptom where the air intake weakened causing a rich fuel mix and a sudden loss of power. Conversely, when the vacuum in the air box normalized, then the rider would experience a sudden surge (restoration) in power. It's an interesting point. I used to experience on my 4cyl Honda 250 very often, actually there is a lagoon here which used to be a part of my daily commute and every single time as I would come into this long left curve upon entry I would always get hit by a crosswind for a few hundred meters where I'd experience a sudden loss of power and then a surge, usually 2-3 of these "hick-ups" and as soon as I'd line up with the lagoon and the wind which would then be chest wind, the bike would just run perfectly normal. I asked a few mechanics I used to visit at that time, they'd check the bike out and tell me all is well and never offer an explanation. And now more than a decade later I get it from a random GO fact hole

'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
I experienced something similar a long while ago, crossing one of the bridges on Highway 1 south of Big Sur. I was riding a 1990 Katana 750 with the fully enclosed bodywork. The onshore crosswinds were severe, but inconsistent. Sometimes I was leaned over at least 45 degrees, then it would let up and I was suddenly be in the oncoming lane (no traffic, but still frightening).

Other times there would be a sudden strong gust that apparently sucked the air out of the airbox, and the engine died as if I had cut off the engine. It would restart pretty quickly, but it has caused me to shy away from faired bikes (and that road section).
The only thing that comes to mind is that in the 1984 Nighthawk CB750SC was a bug in the design of the air box. Although not the 650 (didn't seem to have the problem), the 750 version was sensitive to strong freeway speed crosswind gusts. This was a dangerous symptom where the air intake weakened causing a rich fuel mix and a sudden loss of power. Conversely, when the vacuum in the air box normalized, then the rider would experience a sudden surge (restoration) in power. It's an interesting point. I used to experience on my 4cyl Honda 250 very often, actually there is a lagoon here which used to be a part of my daily commute and every single time as I would come into this long left curve upon entry I would always get hit by a crosswind for a few hundred meters where I'd experience a sudden loss of power and then a surge, usually 2-3 of these "hick-ups" and as soon as I'd line up with the lagoon and the wind which would then be chest wind, the bike would just run perfectly normal. I asked a few mechanics I used to visit at that time, they'd check the bike out and tell me all is well and never offer an explanation. And now more than a decade later I get it from a random GO fact hole

'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
I experienced something similar a long while ago, crossing one of the bridges on Highway 1 south of Big Sur. I was riding a 1990 Katana 750 with the fully enclosed bodywork. The onshore crosswinds were severe, but inconsistent. Sometimes I was leaned over at least 45 degrees, then it would let up and I was suddenly be in the oncoming lane (no traffic, but still frightening).

Other times there would be a sudden strong gust that apparently sucked the air out of the airbox, and the engine died as if I had cut off the engine. It would restart pretty quickly, but it has caused me to shy away from faired bikes (and that road section).
These are scary and dangerous situations, especially if an 18-wheeler is breathing down your back and doesn't know you are losing speed.

Very interesting stories Tod and pekingduck. Thankfully I never experienced it on the CB1100.
 
Back
Top