New water-cooled?

franov_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter

as you can see there, magazines in Asia are starting to talk about that..

would you buy such a model, with water cooling and DCT (as it happens to see from the images..)?

seems heavily based on the new CB350 lines.

personally, never !
 
DCT would be a deal breaker for me. I would be fine with water cooled engine. Strange choice they made of traditional fork with radial mount calipers. Not sure I've seen that combo before on anything else. Love the tank design.
 
It looks like a twin. I’d be happier if it were an inline 4.
 
Phadreus_imp said:
DCT would be a deal breaker for me. I would be fine with water cooled engine. Strange choice they made of traditional fork with radial mount calipers. Not sure I've seen that combo before on anything else. Love the tank design.
If the GB1100 becomes reality, Honda knows how to integrate a non-DCT into the assembly. Whether they would is a marketing question since the DCT is an technology and business success for Honda.
 
It has for me the 'old school' look.
But the engine does not look particuliarly good. Air cooling are very rare nowadays and maybe we should do with...
I think I will bought it if it appears on the market.
 
Thread starter
in my opinion, if they must switch to water cooling because of euro-regulations, they should do the exact same thing Kawasaki did with the Z900RS: by working on the CB1000R "base", make the engine response mellower and less powerful, then putting on it some retro tank and plastics, retro instruments, higher bars, softer suspension.. voilà !
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
Phadreus_imp said:
DCT would be a deal breaker for me. I would be fine with water cooled engine. Strange choice they made of traditional fork with radial mount calipers. Not sure I've seen that combo before on anything else. Love the tank design.
If the GB1100 becomes reality, Honda knows how to integrate a non-DCT into the assembly. Whether they would is a marketing question since the DCT is an technology and business success for Honda.
If the GB1100 becomes reality, Honda knows how to integrate a non-DCT into the assembly. Whether they would is a marketing question since the DCT is an technology and business success for Honda. Wonder if they would go to the trouble to offer DCT as an option, Manual as standard?
 
Got to admit that it's not as good looking as a CB 1100 but riding around on my NC 750DCT I often think a bike with CB 1100 power (HP and torque) with a DCT would be a fantastic motorcycle.
 
first of all....a liquid cooled version of our bike with legtimate classic styling (not neo retro) and a lighter weight? yes. WOULD BUY.

anyway, the bike the in the video looks like they've finally started to do something with this patent that was filed in 2018:

f4060ff0a1bcc125017daa08f653d813.ashx


Might very well have a monoshock
 
Cormanus_imp said:
It looks like a twin. I’d be happier if it were an inline 4.
you're right now that I look closely. That's the Africa Twin Lump. Good eye.

Now i'm less interested. I love the AT motor. I really do. It's just not what i'm looking for if i'm going to replace my CB. I need an I4.
 
It would need to be an I4. Or a flat 4. I want them to do a retro GL1100 or GL1000. I would buy that bike.

I like the the bike in the video, though. I agree that the engine block needs to have 4 holes in it and probably needs a more retro outer finish.

DCT should be an option on all mid to large Hondas. Not sure I will go that route anytime soon, but anything that makes motorcycling more accessible to folks either trying to start out or trying to extend their riding lives is ok with me.
 
I seriously doubt this tender from the picture is the final look, but I like it, the AT lump is amazing, has lots of power, it's well balanced and not extremely heavy, this platform is a great customization platform especially for scrambler type bikes, twin cyl can route the exhausts to the sides and allow for a greater ground clearance and a skid plate to be mounted.
It cannot replace the CB1100, maybe in Hondas line-up, but not in essence.

'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
 
The GB bike has changed its appearance drastically from about a year ago when some leaked patent images made it to the internet. The one in this post might actually be a lot closer to the final product.

This is what was floating around the net in 2019/2020 about the gb1100:

316fa85f3f979ed92d2c11a1ad594604.


Thats obviously a really radical bike. The one in this latest video is a much more realistic version. I think it's very close to being final
 
misterprofessionality_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
It looks like a twin. I’d be happier if it were an inline 4.
you're right now that I look closely. That's the Africa Twin Lump. Good eye.

Now i'm less interested. I love the AT motor. I really do. It's just not what i'm looking for if i'm going to replace my CB. I need an I4.
you're right now that I look closely. That's the Africa Twin Lump. Good eye.

Now i'm less interested. I love the AT motor. I really do. It's just not what i'm looking for if i'm going to replace my CB. I need an I4.
Yes, for sure it is the Africa Twin mill. Honda seems to be leveraging this successful offering heavily, especially with the DCT option.

It is a twin, and thus, a much different experience than the traditional CB1100. The 1100 cc twin on paper will out hustle the CB1100 easily (the 1000 cc twin is equal on paper). The DCT 1100 twin will only be better at hustling.

The twin is quite smooth, but not CB1100 smooth. Different, not necessarily worse.

The CB1100 mill is superior in sex appeal than the twin mill.
 
I like the idea of the GB1100 with a water cooled twin, and I really like the AT engine. The only problem I have with it is that I don't think the engine looks good on a neo classic. The engine is far too modern looking and is out of place with the rest of the bike.

Triumph has done a much better job in producing a good looking water cooled twin:

4284c7790e4086cd5b7500834d7a19f9.jpg
 
Appears to be a retro with the Africa Twin motor. I'd be interested in that.
If it's true of course.

The 1000 twin motor is supposed to rock!
 
To me it looks like design team ran out of ideas at the rear of the gas tank, noticed it was getting close to quitting time on a Friday Pm and finished the back end while updating their Twitter account before heading out for the weekend.

There’s a much better looking concept bike out there with the I4 motor we were teased with 2-3 years ago. That design team was prop 20 years older on average than this one. More than likely the crew knew somebody that died while running the IoM TT, and while designing that particular concept bike Dark Side of the Moon was playing on a turntable in the background of the conference room the design took shape in.
 
Back
Top