New updated Bonneville line

Houtman_imp said:
I wonder how the 'electric only" cars are doing in Texas at this time .
In general, a good point.

Anywhere where electrical infrastructure is not up to snuff, or is not upgraded to handle the growing load of charging vehicles, when it fails, disrupted, or gets overwhelmed, what are EV owners to do?

Turn off the power - what a great way to execute on civilian "crowd control".
 
Thread starter
Probably not much of an issue in Texas, but I'd bet there would be some stranded drivers in So Cal
 
I know lots of people with EVs, but nobody who uses them as their only car. Mostly as secondary commuters to be able to use the HOV lanes. It would be an inconvenience, but in a complete power collapse, we’d all be asking how to pump gasoline as well, so...
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
I know lots of people with EVs, but nobody who uses them as their only car. Mostly as secondary commuters to be able to use the HOV lanes. It would be an inconvenience, but in a complete power collapse, we’d all be asking how to pump gasoline as well, so...
At least there are range advantages with dino-burnin' engines, possibly to get to regions unaffected by the power grid outage. This is especially true - as you know 60 - during the apocalypse some can merge fuel tanks into a single vehicle for the Escape from L.A.

In addition, and sacrilege, ... one could dump their CB1100 tank into their F-150 to get a few more miles out.
 
A standby generator can pump the gas. We have an automatic 20 kw generator running on natural gas and LOVE having it . I do not like to drink warm beer !
 
Houtman_imp said:
A standby generator can pump the gas. We have an automatic 20 kw generator running on natural gas and LOVE having it . I do not like to drink warm beer !
Sounds like a residential Generac?
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
Houtman_imp said:
A standby generator can pump the gas. We have an automatic 20 kw generator running on natural gas and LOVE having it . I do not like to drink warm beer !
Sounds like a residential Generac?
Sounds like a residential Generac?
No , it is a Kohler , better than Generac
 
On the other hand, if Lord Popgun returns to his family seat in the old country, it's quite possible he may have to get used to drinking warm beer. He has some interesting varieties in the cellar.
 
This is very clear indication of no new fridge yet...but I can tell ya, he keeps a few bottles of cold beer in his spare/mini fridge :D
 
Houtman_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
Houtman_imp said:
A standby generator can pump the gas. We have an automatic 20 kw generator running on natural gas and LOVE having it . I do not like to drink warm beer !
Sounds like a residential Generac?
Sounds like a residential Generac?
No , it is a Kohler , better than Generac
Sounds like a residential Generac?
No , it is a Kohler , better than Generac
Kohler is a very good brand.
 
The two terms “standby generator” and “California“ are mutually exclusive. If I showed any of my neighbors a generator they wouldn’t know what it is let alone how to make it run.

Gold, the idea of emptying gas into a truck is familiar. At the end of our events, we always drain the gas from our cheap Chinese pit scooters into one of our rental trucks so the carburetors don’t gum up before we need them again. I have a hand crank gas pump to accomplish that task.

If the grid goes down, at least I’ll be able to keep my CB running, and maybe make a few bucks from anyone else who wants a tankful.
 
In my community, Honda portable generators are popular. Not often used, yet ready to go anytime. Not massive, but enough power for the most important loads:

* In winter: The high-efficiency furnace to keep pipes from bursting and stay warm. Will support a microwave oven too.

* In summer: The refrigerator. Nothing more miserable than a warm pint of Indian Pale Ale.

* All the time: Network and internet access. To keep up with the latest CB1100 activities in southern California.
 
Back
Top