New to me Corbin Seat

Dvassino_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Thanks to NorthGeorgiaRider, I now have a new to me really nice Corbin seat with passenger backrest. Well I just mounted my new seat and jumped on to test the comfort. Wow is this thing hard!!!
I have herd many people say that these seats are hard but now I know. I am getting ready to go on a trip from Long Island to West Virginia next week and would really like to know if anyone has any suggestions to make this seat more comfortable. I see some people with sheepskin, some with foam pads etc. Any suggestions would really be helpful.

Thanks,
Dino
 
Don't they have to break in when you ride a number of miles? Like from Long Island to, oh, say, West Virginia? :P :D
 
Think of it as a saddle. You form to it as it very slowly forms to you. Ever hear of saddle sores? That will be your body adjusting to the new saddle. Enjoy!

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
 
I purchased one and installed it... rode on it for a couple of hundred miles and then sold it to another forum member several years ago. I decided the stock one was ok... I must have a boney butt or something but the Corbin one was way too hard for me.
 
I'm still trying to break my Corbin in. I have a sheepskin and an air pad slightly inflated, per instructions. Seat is still hard. Once you get on the open road and get your mind off how you butt feels, you won't notice the hardness nearly as much.
 
The Corbin proposal is that factory seats are designed to feel nice and cushy on the showroom floor, and maybe for a 20-minute demo ride. However, out on the road, the factory foam is too soft. It crushes down under prolonged use, until your butt bones (ischial tuberosity) are pressing against the hard metal seat pan under the foam.

Corbin counters this effect by using a higher-durometer (harder) foam.

Personally, I love the Corbin on my CBR250R. I can ride for long periods without discomfort. I was in misery on a week-long tour when I had the stock seat.
 
I've got a Corbin on mine. Still looking for a comfortable seat....
f4e97c7880396a949eb0cfe0d3e3c3d3.png



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Corbin seats always seem firm at first to those not familiar with them. I have always found that, in the long run, firm is more comfortable than squishy-soft.

That said, every butt is different and "one size fits all" does not apply with Corbin seats. Used Corbins are often sold because they were considered too firm by the original owner...they may not even have given them time to "break-in" properly before putting them up for sale. And, lighter riders barely put a "dent" in a Corbin, thereby requiring more break-in time.

The Corbin on my CB is the softest Corbin I have ever owned and is extremely comfortable, especially with the improved geometry/ergonomics compared to the stock Honda "squish & flex fest". I believe that the key with my current Corbin is that I ordered it with 1/2" more height than stock due to the fact that I am 6'-1" and at least 220 lbs. The extra height seems to have been built-up with a softer foam on top of the firmer foundation foam from the basic Corbin. Standard height Corbins are likely much firmer, and hence the reason for more complaints.
 
I have a Corbin saddle on my Triumph Speedmaster and it is hard as a rock, but I love it. The stock gunfighter seat on the Speedmaster is like sitting on a loaf of Wonderbread. It's comfy for about a half hour then all support is gone. I much prefer the Corbin, on that bike at least.

I just had my CB seat redone by Spencer at GreatDayToRide.com has the largest selection of motorcycle equipment and parts including Accessories, Helmets, motorcycle Gear, Air and Fuel, 4-Wheel, Gloves, motorcycle Exhaust Pipes, Tops, Brakes, motorcycle Handlebars, motorcycle Seats, Footwear, Pants, motorcycle Windshields, Cables, motorcycle Wheels and so far it seems better, but my commute in this morning is all I've had on it so far. I'll give this a while to see how it is before considering the Corbin.
 
Gumby 1100_imp said:
Corbin seats always seem firm at first to those not familiar with them. I have always found that, in the long run, firm is more comfortable than squishy-soft.

That said, every butt is different and "one size fits all" does not apply with Corbin seats. Used Corbins are often sold because they were considered too firm by the original owner...they may not even have given them time to "break-in" properly before putting them up for sale. And, lighter riders barely put a "dent" in a Corbin, thereby requiring more break-in time.

The Corbin on my CB is the softest Corbin I have ever owned and is extremely comfortable, especially with the improved geometry/ergonomics compared to the stock Honda "squish & flex fest". I believe that the key with my current Corbin is that I ordered it with 1/2" more height than stock due to the fact that I am 6'-1" and at least 220 lbs. The extra height seems to have been built-up with a softer foam on top of the firmer foundation foam from the basic Corbin. Standard height Corbins are likely much firmer, and hence the reason for more complaints.
I have never had a Corbin seat but I love my Mustang seat on my Night Train and they follow the same construction philosophy as Corbin - firmer is better.

Could I bother you for a picture of your seat Gumby? I am 6'2" roughly 230lbs so I suspect we would have similar needs in a seat.

I like the looks of the stock seat on the CB but have been spoiled by my Mustang seat and have realized that if I want to ride for more than 1hr that a new seat would help.
 
I'm a long time antagonist of Corbin, myself. Between having a bony butt that never found the hard Corbin comfortable, no matter how many miles or long runs in the saddle I'd put on it, and having had a nasty in-person experience with them back in the '90s, I'd never own another. I found the thicker, firm-but-supportive foam of the K&H saddles perfectly comfortable right out of the box, and well through longer rides. :thumbsup:
 
Can't comment about Corbin seats since I have no experience with or time on them. However, I'll echo what Papa said about the K&H seats. I bought a café version of theirs off Lola on this site and considering that there isn't a lot of fore/aft room to play with the seat is exceptionally comfortable. I knocked out 1,400 miles on a 3-4 day trip on it with no complaints. I can't say that about the stocker which I gave to my wife to use as a cutting board :D
 
The biggest problem with the stock seat for me was sliding forward. I even put 1.5 inch lower shocks on. I bought and installed a Corbin at about 1,000 miles. It was firm for about 200 miles. Now at 6,500 miles, I don't even think about my behind while riding. I mostly ride back and forth to work about 45 miles round trip. I do go for rides of around 150 to 200 miles every so often.
 
Back
Top