New tires needed. Best experiences appreciated.

Thread starter
Cormanus_imp said:
Jaychaynes, how are you finding the tyres?

We're lucky enough to have Motorcycle Superstore's warehouse here in town. I went on and placed an order for these, since they were on sale and they ship it to the warehouse, where I'll pick them up.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Jaychaynes_imp said:
mininsx_imp said:
I put a set of Metzler Roadtec Z8 Interact on last week because the rear comes in stock size. I like them very much so far and the rear is a dual-compound so it should last, too.



Metzeler | Motorcycle products and Tyres

I went with these tires, since they're the original size and they're affordable too. I even found them on sale at Motorcycle Superstore here in Louisville. Let me know if you're ever up this way and we'll ride.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went with these tires, since they're the original size and they're affordable too. I even found them on sale at Motorcycle Superstore here in Louisville. Let me know if you're ever up this way and we'll ride.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OK, will do.
 
Ah. I misunderstood. I thought you already had them fitted and was interested in the riding experience.

I'll have to wait, I guess.
 
I am on my second pair of Pirelli Angel GT's and I love them. Much better ride than what was on stock. Much better cornering. They make a front in the correct size. The rear is one size wider but no issues.
 
Odd man out here. Avon road Riders. Road from Michigan to Chesapeake Bay, down to Alabama & back last summer. Then road to North Dakota and back last fall. Just finished a trip to Colorado and back.
These are great tires. Have 11,000 miles on them now. Yes. I know they are Bias Ply. Don't care, they work very well for me.

I really should change my avatar, that bikes long gone.
 
dailyrider_imp said:
Odd man out here. Avon road Riders. Road from Michigan to Chesapeake Bay, down to Alabama & back last summer. Then road to North Dakota and back last fall. Just finished a trip to Colorado and back.
These are great tires. Have 11,000 miles on them now. Yes. I know they are Bias Ply. Don't care, they work very well for me.

I really should change my avatar, that bikes long gone.
Those are good tires. I used Roadrunners on my '89 GS and they were great. Stuck like glue, perfect for that weight and power.

I'm looking around for new tires now too as the rear is beginning to flat-spot and the front is beginning to cup (Conti RA2 CRs).

I checked up on those Z8s, they are really spendy and the rear is hard to find.
 
I really like reading about actual experiences with other tires, getting close to opening the wallet and nothing beats hearing about folks on similar bikes talking about what they found that works for them and why.
Thanks y'all.
 
Ulvetanna_imp said:
dailyrider_imp said:
Odd man out here. Avon road Riders. Road from Michigan to Chesapeake Bay, down to Alabama & back last summer. Then road to North Dakota and back last fall. Just finished a trip to Colorado and back.
These are great tires. Have 11,000 miles on them now. Yes. I know they are Bias Ply. Don't care, they work very well for me.

I really should change my avatar, that bikes long gone.
Those are good tires. I used Roadrunners on my '89 GS and they were great. Stuck like glue, perfect for that weight and power.

I'm looking around for new tires now too as the rear is beginning to flat-spot and the front is beginning to cup (Conti RA2 CRs).

I checked up on those Z8s, they are really spendy and the rear is hard to find.
Tires
 
DJS_imp said:
Ulvetanna_imp said:
dailyrider_imp said:
Odd man out here. Avon road Riders. Road from Michigan to Chesapeake Bay, down to Alabama & back last summer. Then road to North Dakota and back last fall. Just finished a trip to Colorado and back.
These are great tires. Have 11,000 miles on them now. Yes. I know they are Bias Ply. Don't care, they work very well for me.

I really should change my avatar, that bikes long gone.
Those are good tires. I used Roadrunners on my '89 GS and they were great. Stuck like glue, perfect for that weight and power.

I'm looking around for new tires now too as the rear is beginning to flat-spot and the front is beginning to cup (Conti RA2 CRs).

I checked up on those Z8s, they are really spendy and the rear is hard to find.
Tires
Tires
I got mine from my local Kawasaki dealer. Looked 'em up in the catalog and ordered them, and their price was similar to Bike Bandit. I missed out on that rebate, though! :(
 
mininsx_imp said:
DJS_imp said:
Ulvetanna_imp said:
dailyrider_imp said:
Odd man out here. Avon road Riders. Road from Michigan to Chesapeake Bay, down to Alabama & back last summer. Then road to North Dakota and back last fall. Just finished a trip to Colorado and back.
These are great tires. Have 11,000 miles on them now. Yes. I know they are Bias Ply. Don't care, they work very well for me.

I really should change my avatar, that bikes long gone.
Those are good tires. I used Roadrunners on my '89 GS and they were great. Stuck like glue, perfect for that weight and power.

I'm looking around for new tires now too as the rear is beginning to flat-spot and the front is beginning to cup (Conti RA2 CRs).

I checked up on those Z8s, they are really spendy and the rear is hard to find.
Tires
Tires
I got mine from my local Kawasaki dealer. Looked 'em up in the catalog and ordered them, and their price was similar to Bike Bandit. I missed out on that rebate, though! :(
3 of the 4 cycles in the stable just got tires.
all 3 had a rebate of 40 or 50.
every little bit helps.
 
I like the Avon Road Riders--Super store has rear for $112, wear well and stick right on down to the exhaust dragging and still rock steady. Been through 3 sets on my '13 with 26K miles.
 
Hi guys,

I'm changing my tyres but I'm a bit confused about something concerning the "clearance"
I mean, as you know we cannot use 160 rear because the max allowed dimension is the 140.

I read a thread that speaks about this but, due to my not complete understanding of english, I have two troubles:

1-is it really necessary to modify the internal space for a 2014 black edition?
2-when the 160 is allowed it dependos on the model of the tyres or not


thanks for your comprehension
ciao
 
I'm getting my Z8's put on tomorrow. I was debating between those and the Bridgestone T30 Evo that both come in the standard size. So, last weekend there was a BMW test just where I live, and so I had a chance to try a number of different bikes all with Z8's. It was an interesting test as I went on an R9T and an R1200RS which are fairly different to ride, and on both the Z8's were exactly like the sort of tires I want. They have a round profile, rounder than Michelins, which ensures a more progressive move on angle. They would heat up very fast, and provided excellent grip. On the limit with the RS there was no abrubt loss of grip but instead it was very nice and gradual.

Incidentally, I thoroughly enjoyed the RS. A great bike, and very much something I would consider owning, if only I didn't find it so ugly. With the sport shifter installed on the test bike it was an absolute hoot to downshift while entering a corner. Well, maybe it is not all that ugly....

Anyway, I will come back with my impressions of the Z8 on the CB soon!
 
I agree, I think the R12RS is unnecessarily ugly, and I tend to like BMW's. I also have less and less appreciation for electronic gizmos these days. But, I'm sure it's spectacular to ride.

For those of you who can use them, Chaparral has some really low prices on the discontinued Metzeler Z6 Interac, which is their sport-touring tire which preceded the Z8. 120/60-17 for $72, 160/60-17 for $78, free shipping. I've paid upwards of $275 for a pair of these in the past.
 
Da1, people are using 160 rear tyres—the Michelin RP3 and the Pirelli Angel GT. There are no clearance issues, although one member did take a small amount off the centre stand.

I think the answer to your questions are:

1. No.
2. A 160 rear is OK.
 
And

3. choose the size and brand of tire you feel comfortable with
 
So, I got the Z8s put on, and I am very happy with the result. They give me exactly the sort of feeling I was after and that I never got from the old Dunlop D205. Having been through many different tires over the years, my favourites were the Pirelli Diablo Rosso (Corsa or II), but obviously that was on sportier bikes. I always liked they way they are very progressive in getting on the angle. I don't like things to be abrupt, and the new Metzelers are just like the Pirellis in this respect.

They heat up fast and are very grippy on the edge. Makes me like my CB even more!! As for how long they will last, I am not really too bothered. I always favour feel and grip over long lasting. Although I have not tested them in the wet yet, reports tend to indicate that they are good, certainly way better than the old Dunlops.
 
Thank you very much to all.
Now I'm relaxed and the only "problem" is the choosing of the brand/model.
The best feeling I had in the past was with the Metzeller (Rennsport on a Aprilia Dorsoduro), maybe I try something as Z6 or Z8

;-)
 
I got a set of Metzler Roadtec Z8 Interacts in the stock sizes and I've had a chance to put a few hundred miles on them. I really like them. The handling hasn't changed and tip-in into a corner is just like it was before with no "falling in" feel. :thumbsup:
 
I've been doing a bit of reading on the Z8s. They sound like a great tire and I like the fact that they are offered in the stock sizes. It's nice to read some positive feedback here regarding this tire.
 
Back
Top