New tires needed. Best experiences appreciated.

Jaychaynes_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Hey guys,

Need some new tires. I know I could dig through old posts, but I think it's be more time-wise to let those of you who spend the most time on here either point me to the most helpful threads or just give me your advice or favorite tire.

Thanks


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I put a new M. Pilot Road 3 on the back....no issues on clearance although it is closer to the center stand legs which is to be expected with the increase in width. Went up from 140 to 160 in size...like it a lot and seems to be wearing slower than the previous OEM/stock tire. Also, the thread channels appear deeper and wider than the previous tire had. While I haven't ridden it in heavy rain yet (live in a high desert) they appear to be able to move a lot of water out of the way. I've always been under the impression that Michlins gave better than average road grip under wet conditions. To me on a bike that's worth consideration. Performance wise I can't tell a difference but I don't push the bike too hard. Bought mine from Revzilla and got a decent price and free shipping. I commented on the fact the tire was here in 14 hours or so and I didn't have it expedited.
 
Like many other forum members, I made the switch to Michelin Pilot Road 3 tires and I'm very happy with them. No issues with the 160/60 rear tire.

Lots of Internet parts companies out there offering good prices on them. I got mine on sale at Chaparral Motorsports with free shipping. The one thing I would consider is the cost of mounting and balancing them. The dealers in my area are getting pissy about mounting tires not purchased from their shop. They are jacking up the service cost when you bring your own tires in. The next time I need tires, I think I am going to arm myself with the best internet prices and then hit the dealerships to negotiate a installed price that I feel is fair.
 
Hey, let's not give Michelin ALL the business! It's nice to have options, right?

I have the Pirelli Angel GTs, and love them as much as the other guys love their Pilots. Either way you choose, you can't go wrong.
 
Even the stock tires are not bad for this bike with only the front Bridgestone showing low mileage, the rear BS gets great mileage from what I remember reading. BOth of my Cbs came with the Dunlops which were good for about 8500 miles IIRC. I was able to ride the stock Dunlop rear all the way to the edge so it held a lean angle pretty well.

I am a Michelin guy so Michelins go on all my vehicles. The only reason I am running a 160 rear and not a 140 rear is Michelin doesn't make a 140 rear, otherwise that would be the size I would be running.
 
What kind of riding do you do? What kind of tire do you want? Conti Road Attack II Classic Race are perfectly sized, provide a dual-compound tread, and offer superb grip and very good wear, especially if kept up to the 36F/42R pressures. The front tire is the stock size, 110/80, while the rear is a 150/65, designed to fit the CB1100 specifically.

Other choices are going to be the stock tires, which are reasonably good (I've tried both brands) or brands which compel you to put an oversize tire on the rear. Some bias-ply options in the correct sizes are available; I've tried the bias-ply Bridgestones in the correct sizes, and they were not very good. I removed them pretty quickly.
 
PR3 and Angel GT seem to be the two favorites here. I've gone with the latter and couldn't be happier, though I'm sure either of these two would deliver excellent performance.
 
My CB came with the OEM dunlops. I picked up a nail in the rear tire at 7200 miles and the front tire was looking pretty bad so I replaced them with the Bridgestone BT54s. After 7300 miles, the front tire was worn down to the wear bars so I looked into replacing the front. I could not find the BT54s on any of the major internet tire sellers, so I went with the Bridgestone BT45s (bias ply and V rated). After a few hundred miles so far so good. Hopefully Bridgestone will still sell this tire when it comes to replacing the front tire.

If michelin made the correct rear tire size, I would go with the PR3s but I'm reluctant to put an oversized tire on the rear. Call me crazy, I guess. :)
 
I've had mixed success with dual-compound front tires over the years. The centers tend to wear relatively well, but the sides don't, and over time, a very pronounced ridge develops between the hard center and the soft sides, to the point that the tire's profile is ruined (usually within about 4000 miles). Different bike, but I've started using the Bridgestone T30GT on my heavy K1200RS. The front is a single compound and has maintained its profile very well. The rear is a dual compound. I've been very impressed so far. Ferret, perhaps something to consider for your ST if you've not been pleased with the wear of your Michelins. As far as my CB, I've been pleased with the OEM Bridgestones.
 
mininsx_imp said:
I put a set of Metzler Roadtec Z8 Interact on last week because the rear comes in stock size. I like them very much so far and the rear is a dual-compound so it should last, too.



Metzeler | Motorcycle products and Tyres
Looks like a great choice; there's no longer any reason to fit oversize tires with several excellent choices available in the correct sizes.

To rehash my credentials, bought my standard in July 2013 and there were not many tire choices. Folks were sort of pushed into using too-large tires for the rear fitment for a couple of years, but now we've got a good selection available.

Z8's look like a very good option here, good handling and grip and likely very good wear.
LongRanger_imp said:
I've had mixed success with dual-compound front tires over the years. The centers tend to wear relatively well, but the sides don't, and over time, a very pronounced ridge develops between the hard center and the soft sides, to the point that the tire's profile is ruined (usually within about 4000 miles). Different bike, but I've started using the Bridgestone T30GT on my heavy K1200RS. The front is a single compound and has maintained its profile very well. The rear is a dual compound. I've been very impressed so far. Ferret, perhaps something to consider for your ST if you've not been pleased with the wear of your Michelins. As far as my CB, I've been pleased with the OEM Bridgestones.
Must be old tech or something. Never seen that happen. What year and brand of tire?

My 2012 GSX-R 750 track bike has only ever run Dunlop Q3's (a dual-compound tire) and the sides get a lot more wear than the center.

Certain tracks that are very high-speed and work one side of the tire more than the other necessitate removal of the tire early, but those "take-offs" can then be saved for used on slower tracks with a more balanced mix of turns.

The boundary between the hard/soft area can be seen but never any deformation or handling issues.

The Conti's don't really have a dual-compound; they have a curing process that treats the center and sides differently to provide greater longevity to the center of the tire, so it's more of a true blending.

Dual-compound tires are very common these days.
mininsx_imp said:
I put a set of Metzler Roadtec Z8 Interact on last week because the rear comes in stock size. I like them very much so far and the rear is a dual-compound so it should last, too.



Metzeler | Motorcycle products and Tyres
Keep us posted on these tires, will ya? I might want to try a set after I get tired of looking at my Conti's.
 
I will check out the Metzlers for my next go round. Never felt "forced" to have the slightly larger Michelin tire, though, and I would hardly describe them as "too-large". Describing the PR3s in this manner may lead someone to believe that the Michelins are a bad choice when, in fact, they are a very good choice.

It is good to know that there are several good choices out there to meet a rider's particular needs.
 
Ulvetanna_imp said:
mininsx_imp said:
I put a set of Metzler Roadtec Z8 Interact on last week because the rear comes in stock size. I like them very much so far and the rear is a dual-compound so it should last, too.



Metzeler | Motorcycle products and Tyres
Looks like a great choice; there's no longer any reason to fit oversize tires with several excellent choices available in the correct sizes.

To rehash my credentials, bought my standard in July 2013 and there were not many tire choices. Folks were sort of pushed into using too-large tires for the rear fitment for a couple of years, but now we've got a good selection available.

Z8's look like a very good option here, good handling and grip and likely very good wear.
LongRanger_imp said:
I've had mixed success with dual-compound front tires over the years. The centers tend to wear relatively well, but the sides don't, and over time, a very pronounced ridge develops between the hard center and the soft sides, to the point that the tire's profile is ruined (usually within about 4000 miles). Different bike, but I've started using the Bridgestone T30GT on my heavy K1200RS. The front is a single compound and has maintained its profile very well. The rear is a dual compound. I've been very impressed so far. Ferret, perhaps something to consider for your ST if you've not been pleased with the wear of your Michelins. As far as my CB, I've been pleased with the OEM Bridgestones.
Must be old tech or something. Never seen that happen. What year and brand of tire?

My 2012 GSX-R 750 track bike has only ever run Dunlop Q3's (a dual-compound tire) and the sides get a lot more wear than the center.

Certain tracks that are very high-speed and work one side of the tire more than the other necessitate removal of the tire early, but those "take-offs" can then be saved for used on slower tracks with a more balanced mix of turns.

The boundary between the hard/soft area can be seen but never any deformation or handling issues.

The Conti's don't really have a dual-compound; they have a curing process that treats the center and sides differently to provide greater longevity to the center of the tire, so it's more of a true blending.

Dual-compound tires are very common these days.
mininsx_imp said:
I put a set of Metzler Roadtec Z8 Interact on last week because the rear comes in stock size. I like them very much so far and the rear is a dual-compound so it should last, too.



Metzeler | Motorcycle products and Tyres
Keep us posted on these tires, will ya? I might want to try a set after I get tired of looking at my Conti's.
Looks like a great choice; there's no longer any reason to fit oversize tires with several excellent choices available in the correct sizes.

To rehash my credentials, bought my standard in July 2013 and there were not many tire choices. Folks were sort of pushed into using too-large tires for the rear fitment for a couple of years, but now we've got a good selection available.

Z8's look like a very good option here, good handling and grip and likely very good wear.
LongRanger_imp said:
I've had mixed success with dual-compound front tires over the years. The centers tend to wear relatively well, but the sides don't, and over time, a very pronounced ridge develops between the hard center and the soft sides, to the point that the tire's profile is ruined (usually within about 4000 miles). Different bike, but I've started using the Bridgestone T30GT on my heavy K1200RS. The front is a single compound and has maintained its profile very well. The rear is a dual compound. I've been very impressed so far. Ferret, perhaps something to consider for your ST if you've not been pleased with the wear of your Michelins. As far as my CB, I've been pleased with the OEM Bridgestones.
Must be old tech or something. Never seen that happen. What year and brand of tire?

My 2012 GSX-R 750 track bike has only ever run Dunlop Q3's (a dual-compound tire) and the sides get a lot more wear than the center.

Certain tracks that are very high-speed and work one side of the tire more than the other necessitate removal of the tire early, but those "take-offs" can then be saved for used on slower tracks with a more balanced mix of turns.

The boundary between the hard/soft area can be seen but never any deformation or handling issues.

The Conti's don't really have a dual-compound; they have a curing process that treats the center and sides differently to provide greater longevity to the center of the tire, so it's more of a true blending.

Dual-compound tires are very common these days.
mininsx_imp said:
I put a set of Metzler Roadtec Z8 Interact on last week because the rear comes in stock size. I like them very much so far and the rear is a dual-compound so it should last, too.



Metzeler | Motorcycle products and Tyres
Keep us posted on these tires, will ya? I might want to try a set after I get tired of looking at my Conti's.
I've put close to a hundred miles on them now (lot of rain here in KY) and the handling is sweet, just like it was when I got the bike. The only thing I've noticed that's different is the ride is just a bit harsher than before, probably due to a stiffer sidewall, which may change with more miles. Most people probably wouldn't notice it. :biker:
 
mininsx_imp said:
Ulvetanna_imp said:
mininsx_imp said:
I put a set of Metzler Roadtec Z8 Interact on last week because the rear comes in stock size. I like them very much so far and the rear is a dual-compound so it should last, too.



Metzeler | Motorcycle products and Tyres
Looks like a great choice; there's no longer any reason to fit oversize tires with several excellent choices available in the correct sizes.

To rehash my credentials, bought my standard in July 2013 and there were not many tire choices. Folks were sort of pushed into using too-large tires for the rear fitment for a couple of years, but now we've got a good selection available.

Z8's look like a very good option here, good handling and grip and likely very good wear.
LongRanger_imp said:
I've had mixed success with dual-compound front tires over the years. The centers tend to wear relatively well, but the sides don't, and over time, a very pronounced ridge develops between the hard center and the soft sides, to the point that the tire's profile is ruined (usually within about 4000 miles). Different bike, but I've started using the Bridgestone T30GT on my heavy K1200RS. The front is a single compound and has maintained its profile very well. The rear is a dual compound. I've been very impressed so far. Ferret, perhaps something to consider for your ST if you've not been pleased with the wear of your Michelins. As far as my CB, I've been pleased with the OEM Bridgestones.
Must be old tech or something. Never seen that happen. What year and brand of tire?

My 2012 GSX-R 750 track bike has only ever run Dunlop Q3's (a dual-compound tire) and the sides get a lot more wear than the center.

Certain tracks that are very high-speed and work one side of the tire more than the other necessitate removal of the tire early, but those "take-offs" can then be saved for used on slower tracks with a more balanced mix of turns.

The boundary between the hard/soft area can be seen but never any deformation or handling issues.

The Conti's don't really have a dual-compound; they have a curing process that treats the center and sides differently to provide greater longevity to the center of the tire, so it's more of a true blending.

Dual-compound tires are very common these days.
mininsx_imp said:
I put a set of Metzler Roadtec Z8 Interact on last week because the rear comes in stock size. I like them very much so far and the rear is a dual-compound so it should last, too.



Metzeler | Motorcycle products and Tyres
Keep us posted on these tires, will ya? I might want to try a set after I get tired of looking at my Conti's.
Looks like a great choice; there's no longer any reason to fit oversize tires with several excellent choices available in the correct sizes.

To rehash my credentials, bought my standard in July 2013 and there were not many tire choices. Folks were sort of pushed into using too-large tires for the rear fitment for a couple of years, but now we've got a good selection available.

Z8's look like a very good option here, good handling and grip and likely very good wear.
LongRanger_imp said:
I've had mixed success with dual-compound front tires over the years. The centers tend to wear relatively well, but the sides don't, and over time, a very pronounced ridge develops between the hard center and the soft sides, to the point that the tire's profile is ruined (usually within about 4000 miles). Different bike, but I've started using the Bridgestone T30GT on my heavy K1200RS. The front is a single compound and has maintained its profile very well. The rear is a dual compound. I've been very impressed so far. Ferret, perhaps something to consider for your ST if you've not been pleased with the wear of your Michelins. As far as my CB, I've been pleased with the OEM Bridgestones.
Must be old tech or something. Never seen that happen. What year and brand of tire?

My 2012 GSX-R 750 track bike has only ever run Dunlop Q3's (a dual-compound tire) and the sides get a lot more wear than the center.

Certain tracks that are very high-speed and work one side of the tire more than the other necessitate removal of the tire early, but those "take-offs" can then be saved for used on slower tracks with a more balanced mix of turns.

The boundary between the hard/soft area can be seen but never any deformation or handling issues.

The Conti's don't really have a dual-compound; they have a curing process that treats the center and sides differently to provide greater longevity to the center of the tire, so it's more of a true blending.

Dual-compound tires are very common these days.
mininsx_imp said:
I put a set of Metzler Roadtec Z8 Interact on last week because the rear comes in stock size. I like them very much so far and the rear is a dual-compound so it should last, too.



Metzeler | Motorcycle products and Tyres
Keep us posted on these tires, will ya? I might want to try a set after I get tired of looking at my Conti's.
I've put close to a hundred miles on them now (lot of rain here in KY) and the handling is sweet, just like it was when I got the bike. The only thing I've noticed that's different is the ride is just a bit harsher than before, probably due to a stiffer sidewall, which may change with more miles. Most people probably wouldn't notice it. :biker:
Thanks for that, yes, I'd notice it instantly with respect to edge grip and compliance. Bet they handle great, but I'll "stick" with the Conti's for my kind of riding.
 
Thread starter
mininsx_imp said:
I put a set of Metzler Roadtec Z8 Interact on last week because the rear comes in stock size. I like them very much so far and the rear is a dual-compound so it should last, too.



Metzeler | Motorcycle products and Tyres

I went with these tires, since they're the original size and they're affordable too. I even found them on sale at Motorcycle Superstore here in Louisville. Let me know if you're ever up this way and we'll ride.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Jaychaynes, how are you finding the tyres?
 
Back
Top