New rear tire or both new tires?

Thread starter
GoldOxide_imp said:
Hey Whoops: Also keep in mind pressure drops in the tire as temperature falls and vice versa without going anywhere. The difference is typically a few pounds, unless of course the temperature drops to below freezing.
Yep, and after it cooled it was two pounds down. So this is a temp fix at best.
 
Whoops_imp said:
My 2014 Std still has the original factory tires with a whopping 780 miles on them now. My back tire started feeling squishy today and I could hear a ticking at low speed. I had a guess as to why.

I made it home at a very slow speed (<25/mph). When I went over the tire in the garage and found the item stuck in the tire, there were actually two holes. I picked up a very large gauge framing or roofing staple in the middle of the rear tire tread.

I obviously need to replace the rear. I guess my question is should I also replace the front as well? The bike was assembled in March of 2014 so the tires are now a little over 7 years old even though they show zero wear or sidewall aging.

Opinions, advice, reasons?
Without reading any of the other replies, I would say most definitely, yes! Get rid of the 7 year old tire immediately. Not sure what other Forum members say, but I like to reply from 51 years of riding experience. Seven years is pushing the envelope for any bike tire's life span. Too stiff probably. When I bought the old GS750E, he had a 6 year old tire on the rear, and a 2 year old tire on the front. Even though the rear looked great, it went into the trash. Not risking my life for a $100 tire. Let's see what everyone else said.
peterbaron_imp said:
A tire can legally be repaired if one inspects it and follows DOT regulations. Simple.
Discount Tire will NOT repair any 7 year old tire. Liability is more the reason than just selling a tire. I cannot believe anyone would ride on a 7 year old bike tire unless you really could not afford a new one. Then, ask yourself, "How much is your life worth?"
 
Whoops_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
Hey Whoops: Also keep in mind pressure drops in the tire as temperature falls and vice versa without going anywhere. The difference is typically a few pounds, unless of course the temperature drops to below freezing.
Yep, and after it cooled it was two pounds down. So this is a temp fix at best.
Yep, and after it cooled it was two pounds down. So this is a temp fix at best.
Just to be sure why not test the repair with a little soap on the outside and look for bubbles or put bike on centre stand on a block and slide a deep enough tray under the wheel fill with water and check the whole tyre for leaks, not forgetting the valve of course.
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
Hey Whoops: Also keep in mind pressure drops in the tire as temperature falls and vice versa without going anywhere. The difference is typically a few pounds, unless of course the temperature drops to below freezing.
I absolutely agree! Slight pressure differentials due to thermal Expansion and contractions, should easily be monitored on tire loss of air on short term .
Longer term results on a tubeless tire would yield different results in my opinion due to loss at the tire bead.
" Sounds like a bunch of HOT air talk to me...! Lol

2013 Cb 1100 "
 
Years ago, I mean a lot of years ago, I saw an ad in a magazine: "If you have a ten-dollar head, buy a ten-dollar helmet." That's been my mantra pretty much ever since. Extra points if you can identify the helmet mfr.
 
Bell

Wonder what inflation does to that number... like if you have a $125 head buy a $125 helmet? Lol

Edit
It's $76.11
 
Ferret, did you know that? I thought Bell, but had to Google it to verify.

I always loved the old Bell Star helmets back in the day.
 
No I knew it, I was in the motorcycle biz when they came up with that slogan.
 
Ref "ten dollar head...ten dollar helmet"...

Many years ago -- 1974, to be exact -- I had a rear tire blowout and dumped my CB750 on a Florida turnpike. While still in the air, and flying through my handlebars, the thought that actually went through my head was "I wish I had paid more than $10 for this helmet..." I had actually bought three helmets at $10 each during a clearance sale at S&K cycle, a Long Island cycle shop.
 
decarmine_imp said:
Ref "ten dollar head...ten dollar helmet"...

Many years ago -- 1974, to be exact -- I had a rear tire blowout and dumped my CB750 on a Florida turnpike. While still in the air, and flying through my handlebars, the thought that actually went through my head was "I wish I had paid more than $10 for this helmet..." I had actually bought three helmets at $10 each during a clearance sale at S&K cycle, a Long Island cycle shop.
I am impressed one wore a motorcycle helmet in a 1974 Florida. From what can be reasoned this evening, it looks like all turned out quite well. :thumbsup:
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
decarmine_imp said:
Ref "ten dollar head...ten dollar helmet"...

Many years ago -- 1974, to be exact -- I had a rear tire blowout and dumped my CB750 on a Florida turnpike. While still in the air, and flying through my handlebars, the thought that actually went through my head was "I wish I had paid more than $10 for this helmet..." I had actually bought three helmets at $10 each during a clearance sale at S&K cycle, a Long Island cycle shop.
I am impressed one wore a motorcycle helmet in a 1974 Florida. From what can be reasoned this evening, it looks like all turned out quite well. :thumbsup:
I was actually a 30-year-old (at the time) New York resident on an "adventure" trip to Florida. I was not aware of individual helmet laws in any of the states I had passed through but continued to abide by NY law. I'm now a Florida resident but always wear a helmet as a result of the memory of meeting that pavement at 65 miles an hour in my $10 helmet. At the time I thought my head had not really hit the ground until I later realized the snaps holding the face shield to the helmet had been ground away from sliding along the pavement...
 
decarmine_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
decarmine_imp said:
Ref "ten dollar head...ten dollar helmet"...

Many years ago -- 1974, to be exact -- I had a rear tire blowout and dumped my CB750 on a Florida turnpike. While still in the air, and flying through my handlebars, the thought that actually went through my head was "I wish I had paid more than $10 for this helmet..." I had actually bought three helmets at $10 each during a clearance sale at S&K cycle, a Long Island cycle shop.
I am impressed one wore a motorcycle helmet in a 1974 Florida. From what can be reasoned this evening, it looks like all turned out quite well. :thumbsup:
I was actually a 30-year-old (at the time) New York resident on an "adventure" trip to Florida. I was not aware of individual helmet laws in any of the states I had passed through but continued to abide by NY law. I'm now a Florida resident but always wear a helmet as a result of the memory of meeting that pavement at 65 miles an hour in my $10 helmet. At the time I thought my head had not really hit the ground until I later realized the snaps holding the face shield to the helmet had been ground away from sliding along the pavement...
Yikes! :(
 
Best $10 ya ever spent huh?
 
What a bunch of great responses! At that time, I was trying to buy a helmet from a roommate who wasn't riding anymore. He wanted too much coin for his, but another friend had a helmet for sale, a actual Bell, and all he wanted was ten bucks! I bought it on the spot and wore it for years, until marriage and kids. I sold it with the bike, the Honda CL450. This bike, with my then-girlfriend.
 
Seeing the CL450 brings to mind my own '69 CB450 that I owned somewhere in the progression of bikes from my first CB350 to the CB750 that met its demise on that aforesaid Florida turnpike. I got the bike through a trade -- the details are a bit murky now but, as I recall, it involved a 500cc BSA, a minibike, a floor shift conversion kit, and a chevy 4-barrel manifold. No cash changed hands, but there were 3 people involved in the trades.

The bike had a six- or eight-inch extended front end, because that's what we did in the early '70s. Any pictures I might have had are long gone...

AND -- apologies as we have certainly strayed from the original intent of this thread.
 
Thread starter
decarmine_imp said:
Seeing the CL450 brings to mind my own '69 CB450 that I owned somewhere in the progression of bikes from my first CB350 to the CB750 that met its demise on that aforesaid Florida turnpike. I got the bike through a trade -- the details are a bit murky now but, as I recall, it involved a 500cc BSA, a minibike, a floor shift conversion kit, and a chevy 4-barrel manifold. No cash changed hands, but there were 3 people involved in the trades.

The bike had a six- or eight-inch extended front end, because that's what we did in the early '70s. Any pictures I might have had are long gone...

AND -- apologies as we have certainly strayed from the original intent of this thread.
Ah hell no... Keep it going. I am enjoying the campfire tales. :D
 
Whoops_imp said:
decarmine_imp said:
Seeing the CL450 brings to mind my own '69 CB450 that I owned somewhere in the progression of bikes from my first CB350 to the CB750 that met its demise on that aforesaid Florida turnpike. I got the bike through a trade -- the details are a bit murky now but, as I recall, it involved a 500cc BSA, a minibike, a floor shift conversion kit, and a chevy 4-barrel manifold. No cash changed hands, but there were 3 people involved in the trades.

The bike had a six- or eight-inch extended front end, because that's what we did in the early '70s. Any pictures I might have had are long gone...

AND -- apologies as we have certainly strayed from the original intent of this thread.
Ah hell no... Keep it going. I am enjoying the campfire tales. :D
Ah hell no... Keep it going. I am enjoying the campfire tales. :D
This is a ton of fun! Tires were nearly new. That bike taught me a lot. I kind of wish I still had it, but the CB1100 is a fine replacement!
 
My CB450 probably saved my life!

Drove it from Cleveland to Long Island, in and out of rain all day, in T-shirt and jeans.
Encountered 11 inches of rain in New Jersey
Caught bronchitis from all the wind and rain
Days later, lying in bed, chest wracked with pain, cigarette between my fingers
Suddenly realized value of lungs
Quit smoking cold turkey that day!!!
 
Back
Top