New rear tire or both new tires?

Whoops

Been there
Thread starter
My 2014 Std still has the original factory tires with a whopping 780 miles on them now. My back tire started feeling squishy today and I could hear a ticking at low speed. I had a guess as to why.

I made it home at a very slow speed (<25/mph). When I went over the tire in the garage and found the item stuck in the tire, there were actually two holes. I picked up a very large gauge framing or roofing staple in the middle of the rear tire tread.

I obviously need to replace the rear. I guess my question is should I also replace the front as well? The bike was assembled in March of 2014 so the tires are now a little over 7 years old even though they show zero wear or sidewall aging.

Opinions, advice, reasons?
 
That stinks. Murphy’s Law says the newer the tire, the more apt it is to pick up a nail or screw. Actually, I’m sure there’s a scientific reason for it.

Anyway, if it were my bike, I’d have the rear tire repaired (if possible) from the inside, and I’d leave the front tire as is. If the rear can’t be repaired, I’d replace it but keep the front. Others will disagree, but the CB really isn’t a sporty or powerful enough bike to worry about a tire that’s seven years old. If you were to take the bike to the track and ride sidewall to sidewall at 10/10ths, my recommendation might be different.
 
Thread starter
LongRanger_imp said:
That stinks. Murphy’s Law says the newer the tire, the more apt it is to pick up a nail or screw. Actually, I’m sure there’s a scientific reason for it.

Anyway, if it were my bike, I’d have the rear tire repaired (if possible) from the inside, and I’d leave the front tire as is. If the rear can’t be repaired, I’d replace it but keep the front. Others will disagree, but the CB really isn’t a sporty or powerful enough bike to worry about a tire that’s seven years old. If you were to take the bike to the track and ride sidewall to sidewall at 10/10ths, my recommendation might be different.
I don't know if I trust a repair on this. The staple was long and went in at a very steep angle, not just straight in. So on top of that there are two holes very close together. :s
 
I agree with LR.
 
LongRanger_imp said:
That stinks. Murphy’s Law says the newer the tire, the more apt it is to pick up a nail or screw. Actually, I’m sure there’s a scientific reason for it.

Anyway, if it were my bike, I’d have the rear tire repaired (if possible) from the inside, and I’d leave the front tire as is. If the rear can’t be repaired, I’d replace it but keep the front. Others will disagree, but the CB really isn’t a sporty or powerful enough bike to worry about a tire that’s seven years old. If you were to take the bike to the track and ride sidewall to sidewall at 10/10ths, my recommendation might be different.
I would also agree with LR and Cormanus on this. An inside-installed patch/plug is perfectly safe, unless the 2 holes were so close that 2 separate patch/plugs couldn't be installed. Dunlop, Continental, and Michelin recommend no more than 10 years age, (but that may be their lawyer's recommendations). A tire stored indoors is not like one sitting outside in the sun and ozone.

But since the 2 nails are so close together. I'd see what a dealer says - they will likely just say replace it. In some cases, a single patch-plug could seal both, but an experienced professional should look at it.
 
I agree totally with Rboe.

No way I’d have tires that old on my bike or car.
 
Thread starter
Well thanks for the input all. I know the back tire isn't as critical as the front, but since the way the staple went in, I feel like it probably isn't worth the risk and am going to replace the back tire for sure. Not so sure about the front though since it still looks like new. If there was any signs of cracking on the sidewalls I would just go all in and replace them both.

The OCD in me is going to go bonkers with mismatched tires though. :D
 
As you have decided to replace the rear I would go ahead and change the front too. Not that I would be worried about a 7 year old tyre, it is more the mismatch of feel from front to rear with a different design and more supple rubber. I was so delighted with the way my EX ran with new Bridgestone T31's, it would be a shame if you didn't get the full benefit from a really well sorted pair of new tyres.
 
Good old Murphy and his laws.. Bit me a few times on my 13 Standard. Replaced the original rear tire only a couple months into ownership from new , big gash across it from road debris. Three sets later and about 24000 mile , the T31 Series is very good choice for the 1100 .


2013 Cb 1100 "
 
I got a small nail in my tire after less than 100 miles. In my opinion, this was repairable, but two different shops I contacted said they do not repair motorcycle tires. I have put my own repair plugs in motorcycle tires before, but only used them temporarily before replacing the tire. Has anyone experience with a shop that will repair a motorcycle tire?
 
My dealer won't plug a tire either. Told me it's due to liability.
 
Yeah, the liability of plugging motorcycle tires has been around for many decades. I can't count how many I've plugged myself and rode the tire to the end of its useful service life. The only exception was a sidewall gash.
 
Dave_imp said:
I got a small nail in my tire after less than 100 miles. In my opinion, this was repairable, but two different shops I contacted said they do not repair motorcycle tires. I have put my own repair plugs in motorcycle tires before, but only used them temporarily before replacing the tire. Has anyone experience with a shop that will repair a motorcycle tire?
I've found the bigger the shop, the less likely they are to do it. Pretty much true of car tires too. Smaller independent shops are more likely to do it.
 
Back
Top