New Purchase Questions

cbfan_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Greetings, I think I'm getting close to purchasing the 1100 from a dealer several hundred miles from home and have a couple questions.
1. I have read per Owners Manual break in is 300 miles, does it mention RPM limitation are just the usual stuff like no full throttle?
2. What must be removed to gain access to battery terminals?
3. I'm thinking of a 4x1 exhaust system like the K or Yoshimura, do they both keep center stand and easy access for maintenance........is there a good 4x1 chrome system out there?
Thanks and I apologize if these questions have been asked before.
 
600 miles.

There is a tray that has to come off. Two screws last I looked, and you have to raise the seat to gain access.

Some keep the center stand, some don't, webbike world on their site say in their descriptions. I read them but didn't commit to memory as I don't intend to replace my exhaust with an after market one. No help there! :)
 
FWIW.. according to the owner's manual, break in is set at 300 miles. I think engine manufacturing has improved to the point that finer machining/finishing tolerances are possible than could be achieved in the past for a given cost (?).

My liquid cooled CBR250 also had a stated 300 mile break in period. That was a bit of a surprise to find out at the time...
 
I need to closer then. For some reason 600 miles was stuck in my head. Thanks for the correction. :worship:

Just looked under the seat; it appears only one screw is used to hold down the battery cover/stash bin.
 
Thread starter
How does the manual define break in?
Has anyone mounted accessory outlet off the battery?
 
Page 10 of the owner manual it states for the first 300 miles don't be a wacko and ride conservatively. No relines, no hard braking; in other words take it easy. Don't stress the systems.

First service is at 600 miles which I had assumed was the first break in period. Oops!

Different systems will break in at different rates. Brakes for example will set in much faster than the motor. Once the motor is fully broke in your mileage should be max'd out (provided your riding style does not change your mileage will improve until the motor is fully broke in).

I'm a bit surprised I have not added an accessory outlet on this bike; typically it is one of the first mods I do. It will have to wait a wee bit longer.
 
Thread starter
Is the oil filter the same type/part number that fits Wing, ST, VTX? I have a bunch of those.
 
We need a shrug gremlin. :) I have heard the filter fits a number of bikes. My other hondas take different filters so I really don't know.
 
Thread starter
Actually I forgot to mention NT700 and Valkyrie with the Wing, ST, VTX..............they all used same type except one was shorter and I think it was the NT700 that if you used the taller filter the center stand would hit it. I had all those bikes within a couple years of each other, I bought filters in the big pack.
 
There is one screw and one push pin holding in the tray. The push pin you just push the middle of the circle in and it pops loose, you can then pull it out. Push the middle back up to rest and then stick in hole and push middle down agin to lock. Screw is a phillips. I installed a battery tender pigtail on mine, which also can power my mini air compressor for flat repairs, or with n adapter power my gps that I never use.

The oil filter fits a lot of the Hondas and the part number is listed on the first page of the how to do your own 600 mie service thread.

As far as break in, vary the engine peed, take back roads home, don't drone for 100 on the freeway. You will be fine.
 
cbfan_imp said:
Greetings, I think I'm getting close to purchasing the 1100 from a dealer several hundred miles from home and have a couple questions.
1. I have read per Owners Manual break in is 300 miles, does it mention RPM limitation are just the usual stuff like no full throttle?
2. What must be removed to gain access to battery terminals?
3. I'm thinking of a 4x1 exhaust system like the K or Yoshimura, do they both keep center stand and easy access for maintenance........is there a good 4x1 chrome system out there?
Thanks and I apologize if these questions have been asked before.

Owner Manual doesn't state when break in period end, except it says in the first 300 miles: never run the bike at full throttle and don't brake hard. It states first oil / filter change at 600 miles.

If you intend to buy the bike, put down some deposit and tell the dealer NOT to let anyone to ride it. I talked to a guy who test ride this bike at 100MPH because he wants fun but not own it.

I use the bike gently ** under ** 4K RPM (70 MPH) in the first 600 miles, then more aggressively in the next 1.5K at 5K RPM max (85 MPH) I will change oil only again at 2K miles, then oi/filter change according to manual. My bike now at 1.2K miles is velvet smooth up to 6K (briefly) no vibration detected.

Honda recommends to shift the bike at 15, 20, 25 and 30 mph at 2, 3, 4 and 5th gear, implies gentle use and better gas mileage.

next year, I hear Honda offers more choice of color. This year only candy red color scheme is the most beautiful in my opinion, also candy red is classic Honda color.

Owner Manual doesn't state when break in period end, except it says in the first 300 miles: never run the bike at full throttle and don't brake hard. It states first oil / filter change at 600 miles.

If you intend to buy the bike, put down some deposit and tell the dealer NOT to let anyone to ride it. I talked to a guy who test ride this bike at 100MPH because he wants fun but not own it.

I use the bike gently ** under ** 4K RPM (70 MPH) in the first 600 miles, then more aggressively in the next 1.5K at 5K RPM max (85 MPH) I will change oil only again at 2K miles, then oi/filter change according to manual. My bike now at 1.2K miles is velvet smooth up to 6K (briefly) no vibration detected.

Honda recommends to shift the bike at 15, 20, 25 and 30 mph at 2, 3, 4 and 5th gear, implies gentle use and better gas mileage.

next year, I hear Honda offers more choice of color. This year only candy red color scheme is the most beautiful in my opinion, also candy red is classic Honda color.
 
The ferret_imp said:
There is one screw and one push pin holding in the tray. The push pin you just push the middle of the circle in and it pops loose, you can then pull it out. Push the middle back up to rest and then stick in hole and push middle down agin to lock. Screw is a phillips. I installed a battery tender pigtail on mine, which also can power my mini air compressor for flat repairs, or with n adapter power my gps that I never use.

The oil filter fits a lot of the Hondas and the part number is listed on the first page of the how to do your own 600 mie service thread.

As far as break in, vary the engine peed, take back roads home, don't drone for 100 on the freeway. You will be fine.
I guess I won't tell you how I broke mine in then. :D :thanks:
 
Also - you dont what to play "Marc Marquez" on brand new tires. The dealer will usually tell you to take it easy for the 1st 100 miles or so.
 
Thread starter
In your purchase price what are most paying for dealer prep, shipping/freight and all that stuff they like to add on?
 
cbfan_imp said:
In your purchase price what are most paying for dealer prep, shipping/freight and all that stuff they like to add on?
It depends on what kind of deal you can negotiate with the dealer. I paid list price for my bike (bought it the first week they were available), but the dealer knocked off the freight and assembly charges. As I recall, those two items added up to around $800-$850.

Basically, I paid list + tax, title, license. I didn't bite on any add ons like extended warranties.
 
Thread starter
Purchase complete...............bought it today out of state, 730 mile ride home. First 150 miles twisties in Arkansas, tomorrow couple hundred more miles of hills and twist and turns.....................the ride up was on 650 Burgman which I trade in for CB1100..................fun ride! First tank of gas 50.2 mpg.
 
cbfan_imp said:
Purchase complete...............bought it today out of state, 730 mile ride home. First 150 miles twisties in Arkansas, tomorrow couple hundred more miles of hills and twist and turns.....................the ride up was on 650 Burgman which I trade in for CB1100..................fun ride! First tank of gas 50.2 mpg.
Congrats
 
Way to go, cbfan! What a great feeling to roll a brand new CB1100 out of the dealership and start riding. Sounds like you had a good ride home.
 
Back
Top