New or used

Leeward Coast_imp

New to the forum
Thread starter
Hi, I’m new to the forum and getting ready to buy a different bike. The CB 1100 is at the top of my list. My question is I can buy a new 2014 from a dealer for $5999 plus negotiable fees or a used 2014 DLX from a dealer for $5000 minus whatever they want to give me for my current bike (kbb trade in @ $2700). The used bike has some mods like windscreen and rear rack. Looks to be in good shape with 24,000 miles. I don’t think 24,000 miles on a modern Honda is too many, but you guys know these bikes. I don’t think I’ll lose either way but would like some owner input. Thank you in advance.
 
G'day Leeward Coast and welcome to the forum. A lee shore's no place for a seaman to be in a blow, but this forum is a good place if you're interested in the CB1100. I'm sure you'll get some useful advice.
 
DLX's are fairly rare and sought after. If it's a bike that appeals to you, it may be worth serious consideration vs. a new '14 Std. I don't think 24k miles is a big deal, but ask for the service history. But certainly, a new '14 at that price is a good deal.
 
Hello and welcome. I'm pretty sure the DLX was a forum members , kvdv"s and was always treated well!
Jon Z
 
Welcome!
The ‘14 STD is a nice bike, but as LongRanger stated; the DLX is a fairly low production model and the dual exhaust really looks cool.
 
Leeward Coast_imp said:
Hi, I’m new to the forum and getting ready to buy a different bike. The CB 1100 is at the top of my list. My question is I can buy a new 2014 from a dealer for $5999 plus negotiable fees or a used 2014 DLX from a dealer for $5000 minus whatever they want to give me for my current bike (kbb trade in @ $2700). The used bike has some mods like windscreen and rear rack. Looks to be in good shape with 24,000 miles. I don’t think 24,000 miles on a modern Honda is too many, but you guys know these bikes. I don’t think I’ll lose either way but would like some owner input. Thank you in advance.

If you prefer the bigger gas tank, shape of the tank, dual exhausts vs single, red color, ABS, then I’d get the DLX without hesitation vs the brand new STD provided you ensure it’s been treated well via a documented service history. If it’s been kept up with regard to maintenance, then 24k miles on a Honda is no problem at all. Both sound like good deals and given the overbuilt and under-stressed motor, mileage is probably less of a deciding factor if it’s been well maintained.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I traded my 2013 in on a new 2013ABS last year. I had 30k miles on the old bike, but the primary reason I made the trade was to get the ABS. The original bike was running great at 30,000 miles. So, for me, the addition of the ABS would be worth the difference in the price.
 
Welcome, I viewed the bike online. Have you seen it in person? Ask about the service history. Has it always been in the PNW? Honda makes a good product. If everything checks out, mileage becomes secondary. I bought a '74 CB750 with 23k and its still running today. My other bike is a 2013 CB1100 i purchased used with 3700 miles on it.

Start it, test ride if you can. Again ask for the history. How many owners? When was the bike last serviced? Compression check? etc.

Kennyw is near you and may chime in.

Russ
 
If it is the one in Issaquah. Go get it! It has heated grips right? If you snooze.... Yes me thinks its kv's former moto.

I would have bought it post haste if i would have known it was going to end up being that #. When I saw it here it was essentially the same $ as the one I ended up with the addition of factory heated grips. ($360 just for parts)

I bought an essentially brand new bike (crazy low mi) from a member but paid more $ and had it shipped. It had mods but no high dollar heated grips. I wish...my first ride - really cold fingers! I wanted ABS on whatever bike I ended up with. New Triumphs with ABS were too expensive. Suzuki Vstrom but no style/soul. Wasn't much interested in anything else. Almost bought a 13 abs for about that # but glad I got the DLX (4.6gal tank).

You might read the thread on resale value.. I was interested in these a couple years back but noticed they weren't hot sellers. I wanted something that had good resale value, i.e. triumph bonneville. ABS didn't enter in to the equation then.

24k miles on a well cared for ride....nothing. When you go to sell and it has 50k on it...that might give some folk pause buy by then you will have gotten your money's worth and could probably sell for half that easy. Just guessing.
 
Leeward Coast_imp said:
Hi, I’m new to the forum and getting ready to buy a different bike. The CB 1100 is at the top of my list. My question is I can buy a new 2014 from a dealer for $5999 plus negotiable fees or a used 2014 DLX from a dealer for $5000 minus whatever they want to give me for my current bike (kbb trade in @ $2700). The used bike has some mods like windscreen and rear rack. Looks to be in good shape with 24,000 miles. I don’t think 24,000 miles on a modern Honda is too many, but you guys know these bikes. I don’t think I’ll lose either way but would like some owner input. Thank you in advance.
Welcome to the forum!

New versus used

What is the out-the-door price comparison?...there may be a larger spread than $999.

If you like the windscreen and rack, that is worth several hundred.

Pricing will likely favor the used. I would not be concerned about 24,000 miles, if oil and filter changed as recommended and taken to 8,000 RPMs only occasionally.

Standard versus Deluxe

Deluxe is rare and coveted by many, however that is mainly personal preference. I purchased a standard 2014 for the following reasons:

• I prefer the 4 into 1 exhaust for appearance, lighter weight, chain access and nostalgia for my 1976 CB750F.

• a steel fuel tank, although I like the style and extra capacity of the aluminum 2017 tank

• alloy wheels, which are easier to clean and much easier to deal with a tubeless tire puncture on the road

• the black/chrome appearance, with reminds me of my first bike, when I was 16

I would expect you to be happy with either.
 
Welcome and go DLX. If the service records pan out, the valves have been checked and you like the accessories, you're in good shape.
 
I am rather surprised that there are still unsold 2014 Hondas sitting around in 2018. Was the the CB1100 that unpopular??
 
Generally yes, but not through any fault of the bike. It wasn't well marketed or promoted by Honda and dealerships tended to not place the bike prominently on the sales floor. It was relatively expensive too. Anecdotally, many folks never heard of the bike when shopping for something else. The collective here believe Honda imported too many Std's and too few DLX's. It was only a two-year model in the U.S. (just one year for the DLX) until its one-year reintroduction in 2017. I see very few CB's on the road and have never seen a '17 beyond the showroom.
 
Perhaps the disproportionate number of standards to DLXs was an attempt by Honda to target a lower price point??? Regardless, none of the CBs have been marketed well in North America and it's generally flown under the radar in reviews and comparisons with limited media attention.

What I don't understand at all is the limited color options for the export markets. Changing colors on the CB is as simple as swapping the tank and side covers (on some models). Thus, it really shouldn't have been a big deal to offer some paint variety, like Japan got. Personally, I don't like red on any motorcycle and the standard is too blacked-out in stock form for me. If I was forced to buy new, I literally would've bought any other Honda color 100 times over before either of those.
 
Flytech99_imp said:
Perhaps the disproportionate number of standards to DLXs was an attempt by Honda to target a lower price point??? Regardless, none of the CBs have been marketed well in North America and it's generally flown under the radar in reviews and comparisons with limited media attention.

What I don't understand at all is the limited color options for the export markets. Changing colors on the CB is as simple as swapping the tank and side covers (on some models). Thus, it really shouldn't have been a big deal to offer some paint variety, like Japan got. Personally, I don't like red on any motorcycle and the standard is too blacked-out in stock form for me. If I was forced to buy new, I literally would've bought any other Honda color 100 times over before either of those.
Yep...I swore I'd never buy a red motorcycle...not really sure if it' was that I disliked red or that I liked other colors that much. I was hoping the gold CB1100 sold in some markets (not the '17 yellow) would make it to the States, but no. Then I saw that no '18 models were going to make it to the States. What to do? When I saw the '17 EX red in person, I thought "that's not really ugly". Knowing that it was my ONLY option made it look better after a few weeks of looking at photos. I realized that I wanted to ride / own this bike more than I wanted a different color on any other bike. So...a '17 EX red it was!
 
reinie_imp said:
I am rather surprised that there are still unsold 2014 Hondas sitting around in 2018. Was the the CB1100 that unpopular??
redbirds said a couple of days ago that a dealer near him still has a couple of 2013 models, Kawasaki Z900RS
 
Well.....

maybe the cb11 will become a cult classic and worth a lot of $ 30yrs from now. Won't be that many around.

If I would have thought the cb 350 four was going to be worth $ someday I would have started buying them a while back ... that and some Microsoft stock :)

Red ain't it but there is always paint.
 
Funny, but I have five red bikes and a red pickup truck (my Road King is blue and silver, because that's what looks best to me out of the colors offered that year). I like the looks of the CB1100 in some of the colors offered outside the US, but probably wouldn't have bought it if red were not an option.

Guess tastes are different . . . :)
 
Back
Top