New Moto Guzzi V100

I always wonder when I see bikes with single side swingarms, such as the MG V100, what are the criteria Manufacturers use to decide on using this? I can't believe it's necessarily more cost effective...I could see benefit to easy wheel removal in race situations...they certainly look cool, but in this application, I wonder what drove it? If I had to guess, I would guess simple aesthetics, but then again, I admit I don't know if that is indeed a criteria for such a design choice. Things that make me go "hmm"...
 
Phadreus_imp said:
I always wonder when I see bikes with single side swingarms, such as the MG V100, what are the criteria Manufacturers use to decide on using this? I can't believe it's necessarily more cost effective...I could see benefit to easy wheel removal in race situations...they certainly look cool, but in this application, I wonder what drove it? If I had to guess, I would guess simple aesthetics, but then again, I admit I don't know if that is indeed a criteria for such a design choice. Things that make me go "hmm"...
Probably a combination of ideas:

* Possible weight savings.
* Simpler wheel removal.
* Esthetics.
* Possible less cost to manufacture.

Durability usually is questioned.
 
Tev62_imp said:
The Le Mans version was always a good looking model with a few tiny exceptions. The early 80's examples were common when I grew up as a teenager, then way out of my earnings reach. The mid 2000's one was a good looker too but ultimately short lived. I'm not sure the styling of this V100 will have a universal appeal, it is a little bland.
This is my current LeMan.. Been waiting for a next gen almost 10 years now..

A LeMans...
 
Rox_imp said:
Tev62_imp said:
The Le Mans version was always a good looking model with a few tiny exceptions. The early 80's examples were common when I grew up as a teenager, then way out of my earnings reach. The mid 2000's one was a good looker too but ultimately short lived. I'm not sure the styling of this V100 will have a universal appeal, it is a little bland.
This is my current LeMan.. Been waiting for a next gen almost 10 years now..

A LeMans...
Superb looker....and that mural is pretty cool.
Phadreus_imp said:
I always wonder when I see bikes with single side swingarms, such as the MG V100, what are the criteria Manufacturers use to decide on using this? I can't believe it's necessarily more cost effective...I could see benefit to easy wheel removal in race situations...they certainly look cool, but in this application, I wonder what drove it? If I had to guess, I would guess simple aesthetics, but then again, I admit I don't know if that is indeed a criteria for such a design choice. Things that make me go "hmm"...
Triumph are about to drop the single sided swingarm on the next generation Tiger 1200 because the current combined shaft/swingarm is just too heavy. I suspect the whole swingarm pivot shaft/bearing area is a heavily fortified piece to prevent flex too. Not good on an already heavy bike. The new one is expected to shed 20-30kg, to be released later on this year.
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
One thing I often read about the single-sided swingarms: Once they are bent (twisted), they are scrap.
Seems like they take some serious Engineering to prevent twisting. The very nature of the design asks to be twisted. Guess this is why we humans come equipped with two arms, so as not to twist just one out of joint. :P
Tev62_imp said:
Rox_imp said:
Tev62_imp said:
The Le Mans version was always a good looking model with a few tiny exceptions. The early 80's examples were common when I grew up as a teenager, then way out of my earnings reach. The mid 2000's one was a good looker too but ultimately short lived. I'm not sure the styling of this V100 will have a universal appeal, it is a little bland.
This is my current LeMan.. Been waiting for a next gen almost 10 years now..

A LeMans...
Superb looker....and that mural is pretty cool.
Phadreus_imp said:
I always wonder when I see bikes with single side swingarms, such as the MG V100, what are the criteria Manufacturers use to decide on using this? I can't believe it's necessarily more cost effective...I could see benefit to easy wheel removal in race situations...they certainly look cool, but in this application, I wonder what drove it? If I had to guess, I would guess simple aesthetics, but then again, I admit I don't know if that is indeed a criteria for such a design choice. Things that make me go "hmm"...
Triumph are about to drop the single sided swingarm on the next generation Tiger 1200 because the current combined shaft/swingarm is just too heavy. I suspect the whole swingarm pivot shaft/bearing area is a heavily fortified piece to prevent flex too. Not good on an already heavy bike. The new one is expected to shed 20-30kg, to be released later on this year.
I've wondered about the overall weight of a SSS vs DSS, and figured the SSS was indeed more weight. So this is not surprising to hear.
 
Wow, that new Guzzi is gorgeous. It looks like an evolution of my 2007 R1200R. An evolution that I wish BMW had taken, rather than the bumble-bee look it ended up with. Which is why I looked elsewhere when I sold mine and ended up with a CB1100.

I think it's best that I stay out of the Guzzi showroom when these hit the dealerships... I'd be tempted to do something very dangerous.
 
Look what Triumph just dropped, does that not remind you of Rox's Le Mans a couple of posts up?

 
I must be in the minority that I don't find the first bike posted to be attractive.

The Triumph posted above is better- but still not my style. Have to ask on that exhaust- is that a twin with a 2-2 exhaust into 1 muffler? Odd.

Looks and form- the 'LeMan' bike further above- whatever it is- looks best to me. I tried to click the picture further but it won't get any bigger.
 
Just watched the video - very cool drone footage, but one scene sorta makes me feel like I'm going to lose control on this bike and shoot off into a lake. The final sequence is unique... "I'm going to park on a helicopter landing pad and wait for an eagle to land on me."

I dig the frequent bird-of-prey sound effects, but they reminded me of 1980s era Buick Skyhawk commercials.

Too judgy?
Tev62_imp said:
Look what Triumph just dropped, does that not remind you of Rox's Le Mans a couple of posts up?
Ahhh, now it makes sense. A few weeks ago, I stopped off at the Triumph dealership to see what the new Trident looks like. They didn't have one, but the salesman said that I should come back soon to see something really cool that was coming out.
 
Tev62_imp said:
Look what Triumph just dropped, does that not remind you of Rox's Le Mans a couple of posts up?
Reminds me of a 2006 Yamaha FZ-1
 
Thread starter
I can understand a need for a small fairing in a bike like this, it's a lot of performance for a naked bike and sustained high speed can be very fatiguing if nowhere to tuck into. For some reason speed and street triples that I've had a chance to spend time with both had a tendency to become very turbulent at around 120mph.

And sure, it does have that air of big nakeds with bikini fairings, like a Bandit 1250 or a TL1000 or a VTR1000, very few exist nowadays, my mind goes to Aprilia Tuono, or r1250rs

'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
Tev62_imp said:
Look what Triumph just dropped, does that not remind you of Rox's Le Mans a couple of posts up?
Yeah, nice lookin' tic-tac. To be a lean teenager again. (*sigh*)
Yes, my poor old bones wouldn't last on that type of bike, clip-ons are not for me anymore. I can just about get away with the Daytona for a day with my converted LSL Superbike bars.
The ferret_imp said:
Tev62_imp said:
Look what Triumph just dropped, does that not remind you of Rox's Le Mans a couple of posts up?
Reminds me of a 2006 Yamaha FZ-1
It does yes
tod.branko_imp said:
I can understand a need for a small fairing in a bike like this, it's a lot of performance for a naked bike and sustained high speed can be very fatiguing if nowhere to tuck into. For some reason speed and street triples that I've had a chance to spend time with both had a tendency to become very turbulent at around 120mph.

And sure, it does have that air of big nakeds with bikini fairings, like a Bandit 1250 or a TL1000 or a VTR1000, very few exist nowadays, my mind goes to Aprilia Tuono, or r1250rs

'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
More good comparisons, forgot about the TL1000, the V-Strom motor donator.
 
Thread starter
Tev62_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
Tev62_imp said:
Look what Triumph just dropped, does that not remind you of Rox's Le Mans a couple of posts up?
Yeah, nice lookin' tic-tac. To be a lean teenager again. (*sigh*)
Yes, my poor old bones wouldn't last on that type of bike, clip-ons are not for me anymore. I can just about get away with the Daytona for a day with my converted LSL Superbike bars.
The ferret_imp said:
Tev62_imp said:
Look what Triumph just dropped, does that not remind you of Rox's Le Mans a couple of posts up?
Reminds me of a 2006 Yamaha FZ-1
It does yes
tod.branko_imp said:
I can understand a need for a small fairing in a bike like this, it's a lot of performance for a naked bike and sustained high speed can be very fatiguing if nowhere to tuck into. For some reason speed and street triples that I've had a chance to spend time with both had a tendency to become very turbulent at around 120mph.

And sure, it does have that air of big nakeds with bikini fairings, like a Bandit 1250 or a TL1000 or a VTR1000, very few exist nowadays, my mind goes to Aprilia Tuono, or r1250rs

'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
More good comparisons, forgot about the TL1000, the V-Strom motor donator.
I actually like that bike a lot, very easy to ride, lots and lots of grunt. Had a chance a few years back to spend a little time with a Cagiva Raptor that has the same engine, it was just as fun to ride, maybe even a little more

0252b62e28118594494a99c7a30b68c1.jpg


'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
 
The Raptor was a great bike at the time.

The new Triumph needs to be seen from a different angle to get a better idea of its beauty. Bikes should have round headlamps:

c87288ea3b90a0e21e7167c7857ad991.jpg


Oh, and just with reference to the question earlier about the exhaust, the engine is a triple not a twin.
 
Local Guzzi dealer just got three V100's in, they do exist. These are their pics, looks well in white.





 
Back
Top