GoldOxide_imp
Road warrior
Stunning, classic Italian looks.
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Probably a combination of ideas:Phadreus_imp said:I always wonder when I see bikes with single side swingarms, such as the MG V100, what are the criteria Manufacturers use to decide on using this? I can't believe it's necessarily more cost effective...I could see benefit to easy wheel removal in race situations...they certainly look cool, but in this application, I wonder what drove it? If I had to guess, I would guess simple aesthetics, but then again, I admit I don't know if that is indeed a criteria for such a design choice. Things that make me go "hmm"...
This is my current LeMan.. Been waiting for a next gen almost 10 years now..Tev62_imp said:The Le Mans version was always a good looking model with a few tiny exceptions. The early 80's examples were common when I grew up as a teenager, then way out of my earnings reach. The mid 2000's one was a good looker too but ultimately short lived. I'm not sure the styling of this V100 will have a universal appeal, it is a little bland.
Superb looker....and that mural is pretty cool.Rox_imp said:This is my current LeMan.. Been waiting for a next gen almost 10 years now..Tev62_imp said:The Le Mans version was always a good looking model with a few tiny exceptions. The early 80's examples were common when I grew up as a teenager, then way out of my earnings reach. The mid 2000's one was a good looker too but ultimately short lived. I'm not sure the styling of this V100 will have a universal appeal, it is a little bland.
A LeMans...
Triumph are about to drop the single sided swingarm on the next generation Tiger 1200 because the current combined shaft/swingarm is just too heavy. I suspect the whole swingarm pivot shaft/bearing area is a heavily fortified piece to prevent flex too. Not good on an already heavy bike. The new one is expected to shed 20-30kg, to be released later on this year.Phadreus_imp said:I always wonder when I see bikes with single side swingarms, such as the MG V100, what are the criteria Manufacturers use to decide on using this? I can't believe it's necessarily more cost effective...I could see benefit to easy wheel removal in race situations...they certainly look cool, but in this application, I wonder what drove it? If I had to guess, I would guess simple aesthetics, but then again, I admit I don't know if that is indeed a criteria for such a design choice. Things that make me go "hmm"...
Seems like they take some serious Engineering to prevent twisting. The very nature of the design asks to be twisted. Guess this is why we humans come equipped with two arms, so as not to twist just one out of joint.GoldOxide_imp said:One thing I often read about the single-sided swingarms: Once they are bent (twisted), they are scrap.

I've wondered about the overall weight of a SSS vs DSS, and figured the SSS was indeed more weight. So this is not surprising to hear.Tev62_imp said:Superb looker....and that mural is pretty cool.Rox_imp said:This is my current LeMan.. Been waiting for a next gen almost 10 years now..Tev62_imp said:The Le Mans version was always a good looking model with a few tiny exceptions. The early 80's examples were common when I grew up as a teenager, then way out of my earnings reach. The mid 2000's one was a good looker too but ultimately short lived. I'm not sure the styling of this V100 will have a universal appeal, it is a little bland.
A LeMans...
Triumph are about to drop the single sided swingarm on the next generation Tiger 1200 because the current combined shaft/swingarm is just too heavy. I suspect the whole swingarm pivot shaft/bearing area is a heavily fortified piece to prevent flex too. Not good on an already heavy bike. The new one is expected to shed 20-30kg, to be released later on this year.Phadreus_imp said:I always wonder when I see bikes with single side swingarms, such as the MG V100, what are the criteria Manufacturers use to decide on using this? I can't believe it's necessarily more cost effective...I could see benefit to easy wheel removal in race situations...they certainly look cool, but in this application, I wonder what drove it? If I had to guess, I would guess simple aesthetics, but then again, I admit I don't know if that is indeed a criteria for such a design choice. Things that make me go "hmm"...
Ahhh, now it makes sense. A few weeks ago, I stopped off at the Triumph dealership to see what the new Trident looks like. They didn't have one, but the salesman said that I should come back soon to see something really cool that was coming out.Tev62_imp said:Look what Triumph just dropped, does that not remind you of Rox's Le Mans a couple of posts up?
Yeah, nice lookin' tic-tac. To be a lean teenager again. (*sigh*)Tev62_imp said:Look what Triumph just dropped, does that not remind you of Rox's Le Mans a couple of posts up?
Reminds me of a 2006 Yamaha FZ-1Tev62_imp said:Look what Triumph just dropped, does that not remind you of Rox's Le Mans a couple of posts up?
Yes, my poor old bones wouldn't last on that type of bike, clip-ons are not for me anymore. I can just about get away with the Daytona for a day with my converted LSL Superbike bars.GoldOxide_imp said:Yeah, nice lookin' tic-tac. To be a lean teenager again. (*sigh*)Tev62_imp said:Look what Triumph just dropped, does that not remind you of Rox's Le Mans a couple of posts up?
It does yesThe ferret_imp said:Reminds me of a 2006 Yamaha FZ-1Tev62_imp said:Look what Triumph just dropped, does that not remind you of Rox's Le Mans a couple of posts up?
More good comparisons, forgot about the TL1000, the V-Strom motor donator.tod.branko_imp said:I can understand a need for a small fairing in a bike like this, it's a lot of performance for a naked bike and sustained high speed can be very fatiguing if nowhere to tuck into. For some reason speed and street triples that I've had a chance to spend time with both had a tendency to become very turbulent at around 120mph.
And sure, it does have that air of big nakeds with bikini fairings, like a Bandit 1250 or a TL1000 or a VTR1000, very few exist nowadays, my mind goes to Aprilia Tuono, or r1250rs
'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
I actually like that bike a lot, very easy to ride, lots and lots of grunt. Had a chance a few years back to spend a little time with a Cagiva Raptor that has the same engine, it was just as fun to ride, maybe even a little moreTev62_imp said:Yes, my poor old bones wouldn't last on that type of bike, clip-ons are not for me anymore. I can just about get away with the Daytona for a day with my converted LSL Superbike bars.GoldOxide_imp said:Yeah, nice lookin' tic-tac. To be a lean teenager again. (*sigh*)Tev62_imp said:Look what Triumph just dropped, does that not remind you of Rox's Le Mans a couple of posts up?
It does yesThe ferret_imp said:Reminds me of a 2006 Yamaha FZ-1Tev62_imp said:Look what Triumph just dropped, does that not remind you of Rox's Le Mans a couple of posts up?
More good comparisons, forgot about the TL1000, the V-Strom motor donator.tod.branko_imp said:I can understand a need for a small fairing in a bike like this, it's a lot of performance for a naked bike and sustained high speed can be very fatiguing if nowhere to tuck into. For some reason speed and street triples that I've had a chance to spend time with both had a tendency to become very turbulent at around 120mph.
And sure, it does have that air of big nakeds with bikini fairings, like a Bandit 1250 or a TL1000 or a VTR1000, very few exist nowadays, my mind goes to Aprilia Tuono, or r1250rs
'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed