New leather jacket ordered

the Ferret

Road warrior
Thread starter
I am a waffler. For longer than I care to think about it I have been considering a new leather jacket. My old one, an import which I bought from LeatherUp.com has been a decent jacket for several years. it only cost $99 but the jacket was much better than it's price would indicate. Recently though I have had to repair some seams, and the coats lining has stretched and been sticking out of my left sleeve near my wrist. Icould keep nursing it along, but it's time for another GOOD leather jacket.

I previously owned Bates and Brooks leathers back in the 70s. This time I wanted a Vanson, but also looked at Schott, Langlitz, Fox Creek, Dainese, River Road, and Johnson Leathers, a company out of San Francisco that Guth suggested.

So after looking at all their websites, reading magazine reviews and searching internet resources for hours on end, I ended up ordering a Vented Racing Jacket from Fox Creek yesterday. Just what I was looking for, a nice looking heavy leather with mandarin collar, 2 chest vents, 2 arm vents, 2 back vents, side snaps, padded kidney belt, full sleeve removable liner, and a nifty fold away neck warmer in the liner. American made in the Blue Ridge mountains of Va, with a lifetime guarantee, Nice looking jacket.

It's supposed to be here Monday. Will give a full review when it gets here.

Men's Vented Racing Jacket
 
That is a good looking jacket. Leather quality shows even in the photos. Vents might be useful in the heat. I've stuck with Dainese for over 20 years but nowadays it is so easy to pick and choose from all over the world. If I needed a newy I think I would take a long look at the Fox Creek. Out of interest only I look forward to you review.

Cheers
 
That looks really nice! Looking forward to hearing how it turns out when you get it.

I have to say I really struggle at buying leathers and boots online. I like to try things first, and even then it is not always easy. I got a deal with my CB, as I was offered Alpinestar equipment for $1'000. I didn't need any new jacket or pants, but my boots had really seen better days. So I ended up getting some new very nice Alpinestar boots and gloves. Well I have not used them much, as I find myself going back to my old boots and gloves because they are just so darn comfortable! I know the new stuff needs breaking in, and I am confident that with time they too will become comfortable, but for now I still grab my old gear if I am going for a longer ride.
 
too cool, I always feel more confident and safe when I wear my leather riding jacket, usually below 80 degrees though
Thought you were going to go with a Hi-Vis color?
And CE armor in the elbows or shoulders?
 
Thread starter
Hiker, I have a Hi Viz vest I can wear over all my jackets. No armor in this one.


One has to love leather to wear it. The feel, the smell. Compared to textile, it's heavy, it's hot, it can soak up rain and weigh twice as much and take forever to dry out, it takes some upkeep, and it generally doesn't come with CE armor. With most leather the best you can hope for is extra padding on shoulder and elbows...but for an old school guy, there is nothing that says tradition more than a good looking leather jacket. You've probably heard the old saying, "Nothing saves your hide better (from abrasion) than cow hide" .... (well racers use Kangaroo hide because it is thinner and lighter and is some incredibly tough stuff) but for schleps like me, cowhide is the cat's meow.
 
Nice looking jacket Ferret, I've heard nothing but good things about Fox Creek. I'm looking forward to your review!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Beautiful, Ferret. I love leather. I'll have to get one—a jacket that is.
 
Thread starter
My jacket was in Cincinnati at 2:20 on Friday, however it was too late to get on the truck. UPS doesn't deliver on Saturdays..or Sundays. UPS scheduled delivery for today ( Monday) before end of day. Mind you the jacket was 35 miles from me Friday. I had volunteered to watch my youngest grandson today so I was able to look up the hill to see if the UPS truck was coming. Numerous glances out the front window netted nothing. My son came at 4:45 to pick up his son, and still no UPS truck. My wife pulls in the drive about 5:15. As she is getting out of her car the UPS truck pulls down the drive. I go out to greet them and they hand me a kinda crumpled brown box.

I was in the middle of cooking dinner, but had to open the box. carefully cutting the sealing tape on the box, I find the jacket inside, neatly folded inside, within a clear plastic bag. As I opened the plastic bag, the unmistakable smell of leather wafts out. Man, I love that smell.

Once opened I could admire the fine leather, the neat stitching and sturdy zippers. I unzipped the jacket and slipped it on over my tshirt and sweatshirt. Ooooo feels a little snug. After giving them my measurements on the phone, they had suggested a 46. I ordered a 44. maybe I should have listened. Of course it still had the factory quilted liner in it. I never use the factpry liners. I wear sweatshirts under my jackets if it's cold. So I took off the jacket and removed the factory liner. 99% of the time I just wear a tshirt so I tried the jacket on with just the tshirt. Plenty of room. Then I added the sweatshirt. Still good.

After dinner, I put the jacket on again and walked around a bit, stretching every which way, then headed to the garage to test sit the bike. No binding, I think this will work.

It's hard for a frugal guy like myself to make such an extravagant purchase, but I have been wanting a good leather jacket for a couple of years now. My last " good" leather jacket I bought before I married my wife. We have been married 40 years lol. 40 years and 50 pounds lol, but I am really happy with this purchase. Just what I wanted.

Getting a new leather jacket is kinda like getting a new motorcycle. Very exciting!
 
you know better...pictures and video!!
My leather seemed tight at first, but found it fits perfect when I am sitting on the bike in the riding position, the arms are made to be reaching forward, not standing up straight.
Even so, when it gets cold I can still fit a tight base layer long sleeve wool shirt and a snug down sweater under it and ride OK.
Try rolling around on your carpet with it on to break it in, oh, and video that too :-)
 
Thread starter
Pics tomorrow. It was actually too late tonight and raining too. First day I have not ridden this month. I don't do video.
 
I have the Grayson, and have been very pleased. Most of the time I end up wearing my textile jacket--the armor is better, and the Fox Creek is so nice that I almost hate to expose it to the elements!--but it's definitely a quality piece of gear. Also, the folks there are very easy to work with if you have any issues. The first jacket they sent me had a few "oddities" in construction, so they took it back and sent another, no hassle and no return shipping.
 
The ferret_imp said:
My jacket was in Cincinnati at 2:20 on Friday, however it was too late to get on the truck. UPS doesn't deliver on Saturdays..or Sundays. UPS scheduled delivery for today ( Monday) before end of day. Mind you the jacket was 35 miles from me Friday. I had volunteered to watch my youngest grandson today so I was able to look up the hill to see if the UPS truck was coming. Numerous glances out the front window netted nothing. My son came at 4:45 to pick up his son, and still no UPS truck. My wife pulls in the drive about 5:15. As she is getting out of her car the UPS truck pulls down the drive. I go out to greet them and they hand me a kinda crumpled brown box.

I was in the middle of cooking dinner, but had to open the box. carefully cutting the sealing tape on the box, I find the jacket inside, neatly folded inside, within a clear plastic bag. As I opened the plastic bag, the unmistakable smell of leather wafts out. Man, I love that smell.

Once opened I could admire the fine leather, the neat stitching and sturdy zippers. I unzipped the jacket and slipped it on over my tshirt and sweatshirt. Ooooo feels a little snug. After giving them my measurements on the phone, they had suggested a 46. I ordered a 44. maybe I should have listened. Of course it still had the factory quilted liner in it. I never use the factpry liners. I wear sweatshirts under my jackets if it's cold. So I took off the jacket and removed the factory liner. 99% of the time I just wear a tshirt so I tried the jacket on with just the tshirt. Plenty of room. Then I added the sweatshirt. Still good.

After dinner, I put the jacket on again and walked around a bit, stretching every which way, then headed to the garage to test sit the bike. No binding, I think this will work.

It's hard for a frugal guy like myself to make such an extravagant purchase, but I have been wanting a good leather jacket for a couple of years now. My last " good" leather jacket I bought before I married my wife. We have been married 40 years lol. 40 years and 50 pounds lol, but I am really happy with this purchase. Just what I wanted.

Getting a new leather jacket is kinda like getting a new motorcycle. Very exciting!
+1 to that! You're a lucky man Ferret. I hope you enjoy it.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
My jacket was in Cincinnati at 2:20 on Friday, however it was too late to get on the truck. UPS doesn't deliver on Saturdays..or Sundays. UPS scheduled delivery for today ( Monday) before end of day. Mind you the jacket was 35 miles from me Friday. I had volunteered to watch my youngest grandson today so I was able to look up the hill to see if the UPS truck was coming. Numerous glances out the front window netted nothing. My son came at 4:45 to pick up his son, and still no UPS truck. My wife pulls in the drive about 5:15. As she is getting out of her car the UPS truck pulls down the drive. I go out to greet them and they hand me a kinda crumpled brown box.

I was in the middle of cooking dinner, but had to open the box. carefully cutting the sealing tape on the box, I find the jacket inside, neatly folded inside, within a clear plastic bag. As I opened the plastic bag, the unmistakable smell of leather wafts out. Man, I love that smell.

Once opened I could admire the fine leather, the neat stitching and sturdy zippers. I unzipped the jacket and slipped it on over my tshirt and sweatshirt. Ooooo feels a little snug. After giving them my measurements on the phone, they had suggested a 46. I ordered a 44. maybe I should have listened. Of course it still had the factory quilted liner in it. I never use the factpry liners. I wear sweatshirts under my jackets if it's cold. So I took off the jacket and removed the factory liner. 99% of the time I just wear a tshirt so I tried the jacket on with just the tshirt. Plenty of room. Then I added the sweatshirt. Still good.

After dinner, I put the jacket on again and walked around a bit, stretching every which way, then headed to the garage to test sit the bike. No binding, I think this will work.

It's hard for a frugal guy like myself to make such an extravagant purchase, but I have been wanting a good leather jacket for a couple of years now. My last " good" leather jacket I bought before I married my wife. We have been married 40 years lol. 40 years and 50 pounds lol, but I am really happy with this purchase. Just what I wanted.

Getting a new leather jacket is kinda like getting a new motorcycle. Very exciting!
+1 to that! You're a lucky man Ferret. I hope you enjoy it.
+1 to that! You're a lucky man Ferret. I hope you enjoy it.
You know, even after a year, my leather Dainese has that leather smell, I sometimes walk by the closet in our hallway and can smell it....maybe a signal asking to be taken out on a ride!
 
Back
Top