redbirds_imp
Road warrior
Thread starter
Got this in my email this morning.
My bad. Thanks for placing the new link Ferret.
My bad. Thanks for placing the new link Ferret.
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

+1ThomWill_imp said:I would dispute the claim that the engine is "visually stunning". I think the CB1100 engine is a real fine thing to look at, and the engine on the Indian Chief line is pleasing to the eye. The blocky thing on the scout looks unfinished to me.
One irony is that in the pursuit of longer engine life, the oil coolers on some bikes are a big as the 'water' radiators on smaller bikes. e.g. the oil cooler on the CB1100 is almost as big as the radiator on my CBR250R. Some of the oil coolers that have been added to air cooled harleys are so big that the bike might as well have a radiator. I agree about the Indian though, I think it's a mistake to proclaim the radiator. On my Fury the radiator is a low key item and could pass for an oil cooler (a BIG one !).ChipBeck_imp said:Gentlemen,
The other Indian models are the real deal IF you like GIANT fenders. This bike is instantly disqualified by that massive ugly radiator. If it's water cooled I'm not interested. The CB1100 is the most desirable Honda model to me. I don't like the new small bore Harley's either. I must be getting old.
Chip
Well, it is different at any rate. I want to like it, and kudos to Polaris/Indian for getting this new model out so quickly. But, is it really all that different from any number of Japanese cruisers? If not for the engine styling it'd be hard to differentiate from a Honda, Kawi, etc.ThomWill_imp said:I would dispute the claim that the engine is "visually stunning". I think the CB1100 engine is a real fine thing to look at, and the engine on the Indian Chief line is pleasing to the eye. The blocky thing on the scout looks unfinished to me.
You can say that again. It's all driven by emission regulations. Control of combustion temperatures is key to meeting ever tightening regulations. A flexible EFI can help, but inevitably air cooled bikes will go the way of the air cooled VWs and Porsches, for much the same reasons.The ferret_imp said:If they didn't introduce water cooling on this bike, they would be trapped and forever locked in to air cooled bikes with less horsepower, less reliability and unable to meet more restrictive emissions which are undoubtedly coming. Harley realizes this as well with their two new smaller models.
Air cooling just isn't the way of the future. Harley knows it, BMW knows it and Indian knows it, which is why the traditionally air cooled companies are introducing water cooling to new models. Consumers might as well get used to it.
The Japanese has realized it forever which is why the CB was such a shock to the mc world, and also why its such a poor performer for its displacement.