New Hondas

From the various reports floating around the web today, here are some of the potential candidates:

CTX1300
CTX1300 Deluxe
CBR1000RR SP
VFR800F
 
thumper_imp said:
We're not getting the VFR800F, or the ABS version of the CBR1000RR SP.
The VFR800 I understand; it hasn't been sold here in a while. But no ABS version of the CBR1000RR SP surprised me. As did the lack of a redone ST1300. *cry* I'm going to end up buying a used BMW K1600GT if Honda doesn't do something soon.
 
Nice! I agree, the blue looks good but I am not of the mind to change mine. I love the red paint and the tank size has never been an issue for me. Curious about the limiter though I can't say I would ride faster than 110mph anyway. Isn't it true that spoke wheels require tubes and are not tubeless or has that changed?
 
Several companies have produced tubeless spoked rims (BMW and Moto Guzzi come to mind, my Griso in particular) so spokes does not necessarily mean tubes. Usually, but not always.
 
I've noticed that in Honda's press materials mentioning their 2014 Street line up, such as what is up on the Cycle World website right now, there is no mention of the CB1100. I don't think that the list is necessarily supposed to be fully comprehensive, but it does seem that pretty much every other fairly recent model is listed. Not sure if there is any significance to this or not, but it would seem to be worth keeping an eye on.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
 
AzBob_imp said:
thumper_imp said:
We're not getting the VFR800F, or the ABS version of the CBR1000RR SP.
The VFR800 I understand; it hasn't been sold here in a while. But no ABS version of the CBR1000RR SP surprised me. As did the lack of a redone ST1300. *cry* I'm going to end up buying a used BMW K1600GT if Honda doesn't do something soon.
The VFR800 I understand; it hasn't been sold here in a while. But no ABS version of the CBR1000RR SP surprised me. As did the lack of a redone ST1300. *cry* I'm going to end up buying a used BMW K1600GT if Honda doesn't do something soon.
Are you considering the BMW because of the ABS? If so, BMW's reliability downfall may be due to their ABS. My best friend had immense trouble with his BMW ABS. He could have been killed. His brake pump couldn't be rebuilt and a new one was $2400 (discount). Another friend took his BMW to a dealer to have the ABS flushed but they refused to do it because they were afraid it would crap out while in their shop and they didn't want the responsibility. FWIW, Consumer Reports data placed BMW below HD on reliability. The Japanese bikes blow them both away. I wish I could say this is just my opinion but it's not.
 
I am German, and nonetheless I must admit that I prefer Honda. ;) All what I hear (I have lots of colleagues and friends riding a BMW) and read on the Internet is that BMW has some quality issues ... sometimes. Sometimes things get fixed free of charge (gesture of goodwill), but "good service, good coffee" is not what I want. I want a good bike. E.g. google for "Honda Transalp" (this is the bike I had before my CB 1100) and "BMW F800GS" and look for typical failures and typical weaknesses. You will find a lot for BMW (e.g. engine, gear box) but nearly none for the Transalp (and then it is something simple like the spark plug).
And if something is broken, spare part prices of BMW and hourly wage of the service team is (in Germany) quite high compared to Honda (and Honda is known here to be one of the most expensive "Japanese").
 
Thread starter
It looks like Honda used the ST1300 engine in the new CTX1300 model. The ST has been dropped from their line I believe.
 
Buffalohead_imp said:
AzBob_imp said:
thumper_imp said:
We're not getting the VFR800F, or the ABS version of the CBR1000RR SP.
The VFR800 I understand; it hasn't been sold here in a while. But no ABS version of the CBR1000RR SP surprised me. As did the lack of a redone ST1300. *cry* I'm going to end up buying a used BMW K1600GT if Honda doesn't do something soon.
The VFR800 I understand; it hasn't been sold here in a while. But no ABS version of the CBR1000RR SP surprised me. As did the lack of a redone ST1300. *cry* I'm going to end up buying a used BMW K1600GT if Honda doesn't do something soon.
Are you considering the BMW because of the ABS? If so, BMW's reliability downfall may be due to their ABS. My best friend had immense trouble with his BMW ABS. He could have been killed. His brake pump couldn't be rebuilt and a new one was $2400 (discount). Another friend took his BMW to a dealer to have the ABS flushed but they refused to do it because they were afraid it would crap out while in their shop and they didn't want the responsibility. FWIW, Consumer Reports data placed BMW below HD on reliability. The Japanese bikes blow them both away. I wish I could say this is just my opinion but it's not.
The VFR800 I understand; it hasn't been sold here in a while. But no ABS version of the CBR1000RR SP surprised me. As did the lack of a redone ST1300. *cry* I'm going to end up buying a used BMW K1600GT if Honda doesn't do something soon.
Are you considering the BMW because of the ABS? If so, BMW's reliability downfall may be due to their ABS. My best friend had immense trouble with his BMW ABS. He could have been killed. His brake pump couldn't be rebuilt and a new one was $2400 (discount). Another friend took his BMW to a dealer to have the ABS flushed but they refused to do it because they were afraid it would crap out while in their shop and they didn't want the responsibility. FWIW, Consumer Reports data placed BMW below HD on reliability. The Japanese bikes blow them both away. I wish I could say this is just my opinion but it's not.
Not for the ABS, specifically. It's just the absolute best sport-touring bike currently made according to everything I read and it has everything I want. The current owners of the K bikes report absolutely no problems with the ABS system. There ARE other problems, though. The handlebar switchgear dies sometimes, which BMW has finally fixed for real, and the water pump sometimes dies, which BMW has also finally fixed. There are some other problems that some owners experience (driveline clunk, left pull), but most do not. I've been following the bike since before it came out, and have been on the K1600 forum for a couple of years soaking up information. :-)
 
A reworked VFR800 was introduced at EMCIA last week. No word if it will be imported here.

As for the EX, I hate spoke wheels. Nothing but extra work IMO. The seat and tank are non-issues on my bike. 160 miles and I have to bust a whizz even if the other tank is dry. Stitched seats usually need rain covers and don't last as long.
 
The Spaceman_imp said:
A reworked VFR800 was introduced at EMCIA last week. No word if it will be imported here.

As for the EX, I hate spoke wheels. Nothing but extra work IMO. The seat and tank are non-issues on my bike. 160 miles and I have to bust a whizz even if the other tank is dry. Stitched seats usually need rain covers and don't last as long.
It was stated that the VFR800 is NOT coming to the U.S.
 
Here we are, the 2014 European CB 1100 special edition as shown in Milan, Italy this week:

798075ee2b431ab7e5a8e3b04f02c295.jpg


Pic was taken by a friend who allows me to share it.

Actually, too "retro" for me, I prefer my "straight" red CB 1100. :thumbsup:
 
Well I like the looks of my (mostly) stock CB better. But, to each his own. Variety is nice.
 
Hmm, I'll be a buyer in spring 2014 and it looks like I might have some choices. I wonder if that retro seat is as tall as some of the after market ones. For me the taller the better.
 
Back
Top